[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

He's the best champion since Cynthia. I'm currently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4

File: kukui.jpg (61KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
kukui.jpg
61KB, 600x800px
He's the best champion since Cynthia.

I'm currently getting absolutely stomped by him on a
>no Exp Share
>Set
>no Z-Moves/Megas
>no Refresh
>no items during battle
>no legendaries
playthrough. As soon as Lycanroc sets up Smogon Stones on the first turn I knew I was fucked, and on top of that the guy routinely switches out his Pokemon. Used Ice Beam on Braviary? Kukui withdrew Braviary and sent out Magnezone! Now my Extrasensory/Dazzling Gleam/Ice Beam A-Ninetales is walled, and my Steel resistant switch ins being Golisopod and Salazzle will take 25% from the Stealth Rock.

This is some of the most fun I've had with a mainline Pokemon game in a long while
>>
>>30539424
He's not the Champion though.
>>
>>30539424

His Incineroar murdered me. I'm not ashamed to admit that he actually beat me the first time I attempted him.
>>
>>30539424
>no Exp Share
>Set
>no Z-Moves/Megas
>no Refresh
>no items during battle
>no legendaries
kukui is actually really easy

you just need stop this self imposed challenge.
>>
>>30539424
But anon he's not the champion
You are
He's just a challenger
>>
>>30539424
>He's the best champion since Cynthia.
He's not the champion and Cynthia sucks.
>>
>>30539516
Fucking casual
>>
>>30539565
Even if Cynthia did suck, she's still the only good Champion, apart from Iris.
>>
>>30539590
>she's still the only good Champion,
Nah
>>
>>30539424
I used Switch, Z-Moves and items and I had trouble with him too. I was severely underleveled, though.
>his final Pokémon is Magnezone
>proceeds to sweep my whole team and I literally only won due to Sucker Punch
Without a priority move I would have lost.
>>
Tsareena with rapid spin, git gud
>>
>>30539615
I bet you thought Steven was a good champion.
>>
>>30539460
he fills the role
>>
>>30539424
I think you just suck at the game anon.
>>
>>30539710
So does Ghetsis.
>>
>>30539424
Ignore the trolls, I felt the same way. There was fun in battling him.

I got curb stomped with my team of shit-but-cute-mons and had to make another team. Genuinely enjoyed myself.
>>
>>30539516
That's the most reasonable set of restrictions and I'd hardly call it a self-imposed challenge.

In a real VS battle, you can't use items, you're on Set, and you don't have the boosted crit ratios/Focus Band effect bonuses from Refresh, so it's totally fair to not take advantage of them in the single player. Additionally using Megas is banned in this year's VGC too.

Finally, using legendaries is just considered poor form in general and the Exp Share does indeed keep you overleveled, so it's fair to switch it off too.

This is how a Pokemon game should be played, and it genuinely makes it a LOT more fun. I only wish the opposing trainers didn't use Full Restores; in other Pokemon games I sometimes bend the rule and go "I can use as many items as the opponent, and no more" but I haven't done than in Sun yet.

>tl;dr
You are a fucking casual if you don't even try to give yourself a fair and not even autistically restrictive challenge in a kids game
>>
>>30539671
Not really.
>>
>>30539874
Well, as long as you know he isn't, I guess we're good.
>>
When he walked in as I set down on the throne I smiled so huge. Getting to fight him for real, seeing his Rockruff evolved and how his whole team complimented him. Since his specialty is moves, instead of studying how to glue more spikes on a garchomp, he makes a more interesting opponent with a diverse number of tricks. He doesn't even need overpowered Pokemon to carry him (cough cough Garchomp)

10/10, dethrone's Cynthia easily as my personal favorite, and his battle music is contending for Lance's spot as favorite track.
>>
>losing over and over is fun

what the fuck is wrong with you people
>>
>>30539516
The only real challenging part about it is no items during battle.

Everything else is pretty much just a means to cheese the games. EXP share and set in particular are basically the games easy mode
>>
>>30540349
>sweeping with your overleveled starter is fun

what the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>30540395

it is though.

again I don't understand how losing is fun (especially when you're only losing because of retarded self-imposed restrictions, and not even the game's actual challenge).
>>
>>30540454
>try to fight
>lose
>learn from mistakes
>realize the coverage moves his Pokemon have
>plan out your switch-ins
>fight him again with the exact same team
>win not because you've overleveled, but because of the strategy you employed
Feels fucking great.

Only 10 year olds or literal retards like everything handed to them on a platter.

Would you rather play Chess against an elementary schooler or against someone who's as good at the game as you are, maybe a little better? Which victory is more satisfying?

Seriously you have to be fucking retarded to think winning everything is fun. I bet you didn't enjoy Demon's Souls either
>>
Playing on Citra, using version that causes crashes if he's beaten with more than three pokemon in player's party. I somehow managed to beat him with Decidueye, Salazzle and Lunala, all three lvl. 57 to his ~60. I still don't know how the fuck did I even get some of his guys. You want a challenge? Try this instead of a ton of self-imposed shit.

But yeah, when I tried with my full team to see what happens he got swept.
>>
>>30541554
>all three level 57
>using the box Legend

Casual.

My entire team is level 50-52. Those extra seven levels are enough to break a lot of speed barriers and turn 2HKO's into 3-4HKO's.
>>
he's not the champion though
>>
I love the meme of Cynthia being hard.
>>
>>30540013
>seeing his Rockruff evolved
It's a different one. Rockruff is still in his lab
>>
>>30540722
I'd say he probably plays stall, if he can stand playing on a fair field at all.
>>
>>30540722
>you have to be fucking retarded
You don't compare chess and pokemon
>>
>>30541594
Wow, you had no problem switching out into that one out of six that had a supereffective. Fabulous. Let me call you "Master" from now on.
>>
>>30541907
Thanks, maybe some day you'll learn to stop Hyper Potion stalling, peasant.
>>
>>30541869
>You don't compare chess and pokemon
I'm not comparing the complexity or skill ceiling of Chess and Pokemon. I'm comparing the feeling of satisfaction you get from winning in any game or sport when you play against someone who is shit as opposed to someone who is as good as you are and puts up a fight.

Let's use checkers as an example instead if that's more your speed. The point still stands; even in checkers it's more fun to have a narrow victory against someone at your level rather than curbstomp a 6 year old kid who you just taught the rules 1 hour ago.
>>
>>30539424
All those self-imposed restrictions are pointless, the only thing that matters is whether or not you grind. And items are fine seeing as the NPCs also use them, the only thing you shouldn't use is revives.
>>
>>30542611
see >>30539758
>>
File: 1441236507413.gif (84KB, 253x230px) Image search: [Google]
1441236507413.gif
84KB, 253x230px
>all these anons saying "wow OP wtf is up with those crazy ass restrictions? No items in battle, but then how would I stall with Full Restores? Btw Pokemon games are sooooo easy xD"

You literally cannot use items, get free switches, etc. in a real battle anyway so it's not so crazy to not do it in-game either

I always knew /vp/ was full of casuals and children and this just confirms it.
>>
>>30540722

But the thing is that unless you are playing online against REAL people, there is no REAL challenge in Pokemon.

You can face the champion as many times as you want and you will inevitably win because you will memorize his very few strategies and/or wind up at a high enough level to beat him. At best it is trial and error, at worst it is pure redundancy.

When I want a challenge in a video game, I want to face a real person who I CAN'T predict, who will keep me on my toes with every single match/round/move/whatever, who I may NEVER be able to beat.

I find no satisfaction in beating an NPC simply because I memorized their patterns and easily adapted to them. It's pure autism, tedium and masochism.

(although just for the record I don't play pokemon competitively because the meta is a complete joke, it's the same shit over and over and everyone knows it)
>>
>>30542604
>if that's more your speed
Not everyone plays pokemon for the satisfaction equivalent to that gained from a board game
>>
>>30539516
Or you could git gud, and stop using experience share
>>
>>30539424
I'm doing a very similar run. His snorlax and inciniroar destroys me.

Why! Why, does his snorlax have high horse power?! And crunch! Just walls me hard.

Still having lots of fun fighting him!
>>
and he's hot as shit
>>
>>30539424
DUDE SAME

Seriously, we are using the exact same ruleset except
>I am using Z-moves
and
>I accidentally did some Refresh cuz I didn't realize how busted it was

And this nigga is tearing me apart. I sailed through the E4 but this guy has shit on me twice now.
>>
>>30539424
>I'm currently playing the game like an autist
>>
>I don't use items because it's fair :)
>Kukui used a Full Restore!
>>
>>30539758
>In a real VS battle, you can't use items
The AI does it regularly.

>you're on Set
Ok.

>you don't have the boosted crit ratios/Focus Band effect bonuses from Refresh
Ok.

>Additionally using Megas is banned in this year's VGC too
That doesn't explain Z-Moves, literally one of the game's main focuses.

>using legendaries is just considered poor form in general
I guess?

>the Exp Share does indeed keep you overleveled
This is patently incorrect.
>>
File: 1459650513786.png (8KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1459650513786.png
8KB, 500x500px
>>30539516
Okay, I can understand ignoring the >No Z-Moves/Megas even if they make the game so much easier because you CAN use them in real battles or even the no Refresh one because you like the immersion it can add.

And No legendaries is pretty standard.
EXP Share is Broken and even without it WHILE skipping battles you will be able to beat the game without Grinding. It is not that hard.
No items or limiting items is fair since they can let you just win ANY thing without effort.
But even then, whatever. EXP Share and Items helps casuals and some legendaries you may just REALLY like.

But if any of you cucks don't play on Set. Like wtf. What kind of Animal DOESN'T play on Set?!?
>>
>>30545353
>EXP Share is Broken and even without it WHILE skipping battles you will be able to beat the game without Grinding.
But this is fucking wrong.
>>
>>30541761
Nobody is hard in pokemon. She just stands out because her team was competent and her AI wasn't completely terrible
>>
>>30545426
>I have to grind or use EXP Share because I'm Awful at this Game made for Children.
>>
>>30539424
damn are you even having fun at that point
>>
>>30539424
Besides the no items part (used two max potions), it was quite easy to beat him.
Used a Lycanroc, Mimikyu, Sylveon, Hariyama and two other that I can't remember.
>>
>>30543086
>implying dying to a boss, learning his moveset and planning out how to best tackle him isn't video game design 101

You are seriously retarded if you believe all difficulty is artificial difficulty and tedium if it isn't another human-controlled opponent. Do you even like video games?
>>
>>30545199
All I read from your post is "I'm a fucking casual please rape my face"
>>
>>30545882

>>implying dying to a boss, learning his moveset and planning out how to best tackle him isn't video game design 101

It's not though? Good games test your actual skills that aren't just memorization and planning. They test your PLAYING ability. Reaction times and stuff like that. The core of good video games.
>>
>>30545958
>"I should be able to win everything on the first try or it's bad"

Suppose you're playing XCOM or Fire Emblem, and you underestimate a couple of the enemy units that have good vantage points and restart the mission. You could have gotten it on your first try if you weren't stupid, but doing it a second time with better planning doesn't mean it's bad design.

Sometimes a game surprises you, sometimes a boss has a cue that's a little hard to read for a strong attack that you have to pick up on by being observant so that you can deal with it better.
>>
>>30546114

you literally just described what trial and error is. trial and error is not real challenge, as I have already said. underestimating isn't necessarily being stupid, it's more like being unprepared because of not knowing/understanding. people wouldn't underestimate if the game explained things to them, or I guess they are stupid. but if a game DOESN'T explain things enough to the point where you are reasonably prepared, then its just poorly designed artificial "difficulty". (but of course autists will just dismiss that as "handholding", even though it would be the equivalent of forcing you to watch a foreign film without subtitles and expecting you to understand everything, and declaring subtitles as "spoonfeeding" or something)
>>
I got fucked the first time but I was only using 4 pokemon and one was a Spearow so I consider it fair.

Also, Cynthia isn't a good Champion. Kukui shits on her in every aspect.
>>
>>30540722

I didnt use the exp share and my pokemon were like 47-49, and I only used 5 almost all the game. pokemon number 6 was an alolan ninetails captured and evolved minutes before elite 4.
>>
>>30546283
Trial and error is when a floor opens up suddenly under your character and you instantly die, so on a replay you know specifically to avoid the spot only because you died once.

Learning from a game is when a boss has a telegraphed and avoidable attack that you might get hit by the first few times because you're panicking, but learn to counter when going up against him again.
>>
>>30541554
>>30541907
Levels matter more than the number of Pokemon on your team.

Ever solo'd the game with your starter as a kid? It's much easier taking on the Elite 4 with one level 67 Pokemon than six level 50 Pokemon.
>>
File: 1464115886247.png (258KB, 635x457px) Image search: [Google]
1464115886247.png
258KB, 635x457px
Wait, what?

Are there SERIOUSLY people on /vp/ who don't at the very least play Set/No Legends/No Items in battle/No Exp Share?

I honestly figured everyone did at least that much given how much bitching there is about Gen 6 games being too easy.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.