[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anybody else noticed all the really negative/violent Pokedex

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 10

File: MakeItStop.jpg (20KB, 358x400px) Image search: [Google]
MakeItStop.jpg
20KB, 358x400px
Has anybody else noticed all the really negative/violent Pokedex entries, this time around?

A lot of mention of Pokemon eating each other, dying, killing one another.

>Primeape: It has been known to become so angry that it dies as a result. Its face looks peaceful in death, however.

>Luvdisc: If a Luvdisc is left on its own, it becomes despondent, leaving itself open to attack. That is when Pelipper snatch them up.

Those are just the most recent ones, but I've seen a whole lot of them, this time around. Are the guys at Gamefreak doin' okay?
>>
>>30524066
I think that Rotom, by deign of being a ghost, is a bit preoccupied with Death.
>>
>>30524077
HOLY SHIT! You're right.
>>
File: 1478276747255.png (243KB, 476x362px) Image search: [Google]
1478276747255.png
243KB, 476x362px
>>30524066
They're catering to the edgelords. They're really trying to hit every demographic with this game. Gen I pandering for oldies. Ball breeding for the autists. Waifus for the NEETs. Etc...
>>
>>30524114
And what did they provide for you?
>>
File: 1480882858597.jpg (12KB, 266x279px) Image search: [Google]
1480882858597.jpg
12KB, 266x279px
>>30524141
An excellent game.
>>
>>30524077
>ghost

>1/6 forms are ghost type
>preoccupied
>>
>>30524176
KEK.

I love you.
>>
File: 1480875450500.jpg (39KB, 600x780px) Image search: [Google]
1480875450500.jpg
39KB, 600x780px
>>30524176
Nigga you just said the whole game is pandering to certain people. Are you implying you are all of those people?
>>
>>30524196
Wait! Rotom IS a ghost, right?
>>
>>30524196
it's a ghost which possesses machines, it loses its incorporeal form to possess things, a bit like how ghosts tend to work, dumbshit.
>>
>>30524218
Everyone is ALL of those people.

If you say you aren't, then you're just being an edgy contrarian. Is that how it works?
>>
My favourite is probably Gengar:

>Should you feel yourself attacked by a sudden chill, it is evidence of an approaching Gengar. There is no escaping it. Give up.
>>
File: 1480742354482.jpg (138KB, 354x541px) Image search: [Google]
1480742354482.jpg
138KB, 354x541px
>>30524245
Your right I agree with you
>>
Yeah I thought that was kind of funny myself, Like they just stopped trying to hide the unfortunate reality of certain things.

Hopefully they'll keep loosening the training wheels.
>>
>>30524254
>There is no escaping it. Give up.

Whoah. Hadn't seen that one yet. I've noticed about 20 or so that mention death, killing, and dung.
>>
File: 1477579047196.jpg (22KB, 340x280px) Image search: [Google]
1477579047196.jpg
22KB, 340x280px
>>30524218
We're all a little autistic/edgy and we all feel nostalgia. This game had a little of everything. I don't go overboard with it though. I can keep my autism/edginess in check.
>>
>>30524066
>all this attention on the dark entries
>no one mentions that there's a number of ones that are flat out funnier than usual
The other Primate one is pretty great. Or the Magicarp entries, which are still about being eaten but are also funny. Or Poliwag not being able to walk. There are a lot of oddly specific entries about Pokemon falling down, actually. That Pyukumuku's Moon entry talks about how it can be used as a sunburn lotion, and ends with "How Convenient!" Explicitly stating Pancham just has a leaf in its mouth in an attempt to look cool.

Oranguru making trips to "match wits" with Slaking is pretty amusing too, in an absurd way.
>>
>>30524684
>Brother, what is there to life?
>Lol I dunno sleep eat and fuck
>Bur surely there is more to this existence
>Probably <falls asleep>
>Hmmm yes
>>
>>30524684
Slowking*, but still cool
>>
>>30524832
Jesus christ, I can't believe I've been reading that wrong. Several times too.

Slowking is slightly less amusing, but still a cool bit of lore yeah.
>>
>>30524196
>never played 4th gen
Underage b8 gtfo
>>
I feel like they really tried to think about the ecosystem of each area in semi-realistic terms. What Pokémon can you find there, why are they there, what do they eat, how do they interact with the other Pokémon? So you get lots of entries about A eating B.
>>
>>30525016
>Realistic
Half of them are about shit like Gengar being a former human that kills people. It makes it really clear that these entries are just nonsense.
>>
>>30525046
Care to elaborate?
>>
>>30524066
>nature is edgy

Water is wet.
>>
>>30525151
Nice post, but what exactly does it have to do with this thread?
>>
>>30525069
The moon entry states that gengar is a former human who feels lonely and murders people to make friends.
>>
>>30525046

SEMI-realistic, anon. Semi-realistic. Mareine eats Corscola, Yungoos eat Rattata but they evolved to be diurnal, Sableye and Gabite stalk Carbink for gems. A lot of these entries play into the ecosystem, which also plays into SOS battles.
>>
>>30524066
yeah there's a ton of shit about pokemon eating each other and humans finding a pokemon tasty

WTF gamefreak
>>
>>30525346
>SEMI-realistic, anon.
That's not how this works. If you think any entry can be trusted as fact, then they all have to be. They're all from the same source. Yet the Gengar one, among others, is complete bullshit.
>>
>>30525364
>>30525346
Then you have ones like the Araquanid entries which completely contradict each other between versions.
>>
>>30525389
>completely contradict each other between versions
Not really.

>It delivers headbutts with the water bubble on its head. Small Pokémon get sucked into the bubble, where they drown.
>Despite what its appearance suggests, it cares for others. If it finds vulnerable, weak Pokémon, it protectively brings them into its water bubble.

Caring for others doesn't mean it can't headbutt things with the water bubble. Nor does it trying to protect vulnerable, weak Pokemon mean it might not also accidentally kill them, Lennie style.
>>
>>30525431
It successfully protects water pokemon who aren't afflicted by the strange condition known as needing air to live
>>
>>30524684
>Oranguru making trips to "match wits" with Slaking is pretty amusing too, in an absurd way.
It's called "Epic Quiz Battles" in the German version, which I found hilarious.
>>
>>30524066
I like the theory that it's Rotom being all ooky-spooky ghost-type and fucking with you by writing about the most fucked up aspects of that particular pokemon.
>>
>>30525431
Yes really. In one game, it headbutts weak pokemon to kill them. In the other, it headbutts them to protect them in the bubble. These don't fit together. The pokemon is never styled as a retard who accidentally kills its friends. That's Bewear.
>>
Drifloon:
>Stories go that it grabs the hands of small children and drags them away to the afterlife. It dislikes heavy children.
kek
>>
>>30525501
It doesn't actually say that though. It just says

>It headbutts with the bubble when attacking
>Small Pokemom get sucked into the bubble and drown
>It tries to protect weak Pokemom by taking them onto the bubble

These don't contradict each other.
>>
I take this hilarious while it could be grim, but, Drifloon hates fat kids.
>>
>>30525564
It does unless you fanwank that it's a retard who kills its friends.
>>
>>30525572
As opposed to fanwanking that the Pokedex is full of lies?
>>
>>30525572
Clearly it's a water supremacist, it hates pokemon that need air to live.
>>
>>30524077
Anon, those dex entries were in the device before Rotom entered it. If you want more proof, go SOS hunt for Corsola and Carbink and tell me how it went.
>>
>>30525592
Yeah man, those Macargo being hotter than the sun? Totally legit.
>>
>>30525605
Pretty sure Kukui tells you that your dex model is one designed specifically to play host to a Rotom.
>>
>>30524176
Nigga that was fucking suave. Respect.
>>
>>30525612
How hot is the sun stated to be in the Pokemom universe?
>>
>>30525501
It's simple: Araquanid hates land dwellers, it protects only small Water mons which is why it invites them in it bubble. The ones that drown are the land dwelling ones that it hunts.
>>
>>30525630
Are you seriously going to argue that it's a fucking Brown Dwarf? You see that fucker in the sky. It's clearly a main sequence/yellow dwarf.
>>
>>30525619
Yeah ? Rotom is basically the new dex's battery. It can't function well or at all without a energy source.
>>
File: 1479031603592.jpg (13KB, 286x327px) Image search: [Google]
1479031603592.jpg
13KB, 286x327px
>>30524114
>Animals behaing like animals is le edgy

I'm sick of this edge meme
>>
>>30525662
>>30525619
I hope we get a regular dex next gen.
>>
>>30524066
Fucking Pelippers not doing their job, I keep getting shitty Luvdisc's when fishing.
>>
>>30525671
Animals with human sentience behaving like animals in a game for young children is kind of edgy.
>>
>>30525701
>with human sentience

lad, also

>young children are not allowed to learn about animal behaviour
>>
File: !.gif (1MB, 276x260px) Image search: [Google]
!.gif
1MB, 276x260px
>>30524066
Just caught Bewear in Moon and what the fuck am I reading in this pokedex entry.

>"This Pokémon has the habit of hugging its companions. Many Trainers have left this world after their spines were squashed by its hug."
>>
>>30525714
>calling something edgy means that I want to ban it
>>
>>30525612
>pokemon is real life
does this mean that I can get psychic powers and swim to different countries?
>>
>>30525743
Most pepo think edgy=bad
>>
>>30525747
What's more probable, anon? That the pokedex is stupid and wrong, or that a random shitmon is actually hotter than the sun, and nothing at all is effected by this, and you can approach and touch it just fine?

Besides, Gen 3 (with its talk of tide and erosion) and Gen 7 (with its talk about geothermal power and continental plates) both kinda hint that physics are an actual thing they have.
>>
>>30525786
The pokedex is pretty much the only source of lore we have for 90% of all Pokemon. Take that away and we have nothing.
>>
>>30525786
>That the pokedex is stupid and wrong, or that a random shitmon is actually hotter than the sun, and nothing at all is effected by this
the latter
>and you can approach and touch it just fine?
you can't actually

Pokemon isn't real life bro
>>
>>30525046
and haunter and sharpedo etc for becoming near extinct due to human activity. Moon drifloon is pretty bad too, i mean who would even think of popping the poor nfe mon?
>>
>>30525820
Then you have nothing.

>>30525851
>The latter
So you're not one fond of intelligent thought, huh?

It doesn't have to be real life for it to conflict with the rules established within its own setting. Learn how fiction works.
>>
>>30525899
What rules did Pokemon establish?
>>
File: edwardcutten.png (52KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
edwardcutten.png
52KB, 300x250px
>>30525564
>be water spidey
>oh look an injured mon
>i can help you
>pic related
>>
>>30525928
That several real world physical laws we're aware of still exist.

Also, it's an established rule when writing, that unless you establish something in your world to function differently than in real life, then it is to be assumed that the mechanics are as they are in real life. You can't just randomly have something's stated temperature not behave properly when otherwise temperature has been shown to function normally.
>>
>>30525984
Well they already established that slugs can be 18,000 degrees, but you rejected it.
>>
>>30526006
Well after they had temperature function normally in every other case. And when such strangeness hasn't been shown since. For example, if that temperature doesn't react with anything, then fire shouldn't be able to exist on that planet's atmosphere.

Also, do you seriously believe that, after 6 generations, Gengar is suddenly a dead human?
>>
>>30526053
>Well after they had temperature function normally in every other case
has it though? we have literal walking chunks of ice for pokemon shouldn't they melt?wouldn't magcargo/slugma eventually solidify if it wasn't able to keep itself really hot? shouldn't magcargo/slugma be setting everything on fire no matter what temperature?
>>
>>30526053
>they had temperature function normally in every other case
Have you seen the volcano levels?

If Gamefreak wants Gengar to be a dead human, it's their choice.
>>
>>30526504
The assumption would be that they're not normal ice. Considering they can think and the like, that's not a hard sell. On the other hand, Macargo's temperature is stated outright. It's not a case of a sun pokemon being able to float around fine.

>>30526518
>It's their choice
Honestly, the people writing the dex entries probably aren't the same people who are programming and writing the actual game. It's less "Gamefreak's choice", and more "The random intern who wrote the dex entry's choice"

Consider that the Gengar thing contradicts how Gengar function in-game and how they've existed in every prior gen. You'd have to be an idiot to take that entry seriously now.
>>
>>30526562
It still has to be approved before making it to the final game. It wouldn't be the first time dead people became Pokemon.
>>
>Pokedex entries can be taken as true unless they're completely retarded
>even then, they might just be in-universe myths or rumors
>or fuck, maybe it still happens some times but it's not where all of the species comes from or does
I really don't see what's so hard about this. This isn't fucking Lord of the Rings here, the series has always dangled between some what sensible world building and utterly insane and nonsensical shit. Just roll with whatever's fun.
>>
>>30526596
Who approves it? Do they care about inconsistency? Which do they put more weight on?
>>
>>30526635
That's mostly what I do. The somewhat informal tone and breaks with reality and former entries is what really gets me to treat most of the SM dex like bullshit, though. Not all of it, just the parts that stink.
>>
>>30524066
The theme for this gen is pokemon as living beings, Masuda said so himself. That's why the pokedex entries are about how they survive, live, and die. Life is cyclical like sunrise and sunset, and this theme of life passing through and going is reflected in the Eeveeium questline with all the old trainers waiting for the end in different ways, Lusamine's motive is her refusal to accept change with her children growing up and freezing pokemon so they'll be static and 'perfect' forever, and Team skull are basically people unable to move on from their failures.

It's not edgy at all, I like it a lot and the world feels alive. Sure beats Kalos' dumb as fuck """beauty""" motif.
>>
It's just rotom being a pokémon and seeing things from a pokémon's perspective

Ask a human what a dolphin is, and he says a cute fish thing that spews water
Ask a fish, and he describes a bloodlusty war machine
>>
>>30526708
The eevee quest is exclusively full of loser burnouts. Not a single successful person in the bunch.
>>
>>30526769
They've had the time of their life and are now settling down waiting for the end. What's success to you, Anon? How many people do you think make it big?

Some of them did, some of them didn't. That's life.
>>
>>30526769
what about the super rich model who is able to keep herself looking like a young swimmer?
>>
>>30526769
but anon, the little girl doesn't seem like a loser
>>
>>30526792
Not working at a cash register, for one.

>>30526800
She's the only one who takes after her dad so I'm guessing her mom is a stepmom, and you know how that goes.
>>
>>30526795
Oh, and she's the best one, obviously.
>>
>>30526827
Got to feed kids somehow.

>he calls people losers while posting on 4chan
>>
>>30526845
Should've gotten something that pays more than minimum wage.

>Everyone on 4chan is as much of a loser as me!
>>
>>30526856
You think there's enough for everyone? People have it tough. He's living his life and taking care of his kids, and the rest are done with the primes of their lives and doing whatever they like while they can. Nothing wrong with any of that.
>>
>>30526871
Everything is wrong with being a loser burnout. Him and the janitor woman are just pathetic.
>>
>>30526892
Are people contributing to society pathetic? Must be nice to laugh at the lower castes and untouchables huh

And besides, tons of old people do jobs like this because it's what they can do with minimal fuss.
>>
>>30526905
To the lowest run of it, yes. It's a position for those who can't do better.
>>
>>30526911
I guess if everyone worked hard everyone would be a CEO of a big company like you eh

You do realise that not everyone can do better, and there are only so many places in society for your approved job list? Guess these people are worth less as humans because they decided to settle and get on with life, right?
>>
>>30526948
Yes.
>>
>>30526957
Cool. I'll let you tip your fedora at me and we're done here.
>>
>>30526979
It's like even when you win, you lose.
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.