[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>120 mph in an instant >this speed is greater than any

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

File: pheromosa.png (45KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
pheromosa.png
45KB, 250x250px
>120 mph in an instant
>this speed is greater than any other living creature that has been discovered to date

Yeah except for Dragonite, who can circle the Globe in 16 hours, Abra who can teleport, and Pidgeot who can reach speeds of Mach 2.
>>
>>30481440
>expecting dex entries to be coherent and consistent

I highly doubt that any of the people writing the current dex even bother glancing at past dex entries, and they just give the task to some enthusiast hopped up on caffiene and stims to pound it all out before lunch
>>
>>30481440
>thinking Gen 1 dex entries are anything but outdated info
>>
>>30481440
Because it can build up even more speed to go faster. 120 mph immediately is faster than anything else.
>>
>>30481440
>>30481511
In an instant, which means less than a second. And that isn't stating it is a Pheromosa's top speed.

Also, teleportation isn't really acceleration, it's more that Abra is just changing where it is in the world without exerting a physical force.
>>
>>30481577
>>30481440
I think they meant to use the word acceleration, not speed.
>>
>>30481577
120 mph is faster than any animal in real life; that's probably what they were referring to. It's not faster than Dragonite and Pidgeot.

>>30481586
Teleporting is also literally instant, and is faster than 120 mph. We're not talking about acceleration we're talking about speed. Teleportation is instant.

>>30481611
Then they'd have used the correct units. 120 mph is a speed.
>>
Assuming an "instant" is something reasonable like 1/10 of a second, that's 54.7 fucking g of acceleration this bug is pulling.
In 5 seconds, the bug is going mach 7+!
That's REALLY FUCKING FAST
>>
>>30481440
It means it accelerates faster than anything else. 0-120 in an instant is fucking insane. Other Pokemon may have higher top speeds, but none reach that speed in a fraction of a second.
>>
>>30481700
>120 mph is a speed.
And a speed over a time is an acceleration.
"120 mph in an instant" is a measure of acceleration. Go back to high school physics.
>>
>>30481440
Maybe you should go back to school OP
>>
>>30481877
>>this speed is greater than any other living creature that has been discovered to date
>speed
>SPEED
>not acceleration

Go back to kindergarten and learn to read.
>>
>>30481805
>>30481805
>>30481877
>>30481882
>>30481770

Actually speed means speed, not acceleration. Have you guys finished high school yet??
>>
VERY fast Roach running at incredible hihg speed edit when
>>
>>30482006
>120 mph in an instant

>120 mph
A velocity
>an instant
A time

Now what's the definition of acceleration?

>>30482001
It's contextual. See above.
>>
>>30482140
Maybe it means the speed of acceleration? Nothing is faster at accelerating.
>>
>>30482432
That's the point we're trying to prove, but autists are taking a poorly-worded part of the dex entry literally in the worst possible way and it's really hard to get through to them.
>>
>>30482432
Hard to say. Pokedex entries are translated from another language remember.
Everyone in this thread could be wrong.
>>
>>30481700
>Dragonite
>80 Speed
>Pidgeot
>101 Speed
They're slower.
>>
File: IT'S COOL GUY.jpg (32KB, 257x212px) Image search: [Google]
IT'S COOL GUY.jpg
32KB, 257x212px
>>30482491
Realest nigga in this thread.
>>
>>30482476
Nah, we just know what words mean. You people do not.

>>30482432
The speed of acceleration? What the hell does that even mean?

The text says it can reach speeds of 120 mph. And then it says this is faster than any land animal. 120 mph is faster than any animal (in particular, in our world - the fastest animal is the Cheetah which can reach speeds of 80 mph for short bursts) - but it is not faster than any Pokemon because Dragonite can fly around the earth in 16 hours (so that means a speed of 2500km/h or about 1562.5 mph so Mach 2) which is just as fast as Pidgeot.
>>
>>30483000
The text literally says "This UB can reach speeds exceeding 120 mph in just an instant".
>exceeding
>in just an instant
Very obviously implying it is capable of a higher top speed.
OP omitted a very important key word, and you're basically retarded.
>>
If there is an object that can change its velocity from 0 to 120 mph in an instant, say, a second, this is quite an acceleration.

Let us say that another second of time occurs, would its acceleration be constant? If so, it may reach a velocity of 600 mph in 5 seconds. Again, assuming this acceleration is constant, this pokemon IS faster than all pokemon given the data of Dragonite and Pidgeot in prior comments.

Mach 2 is 1565.5 mph. Assuming the acceleration is constant, this pokemon will reach a speed beyond mach 2 in about 13-15 seconds. Being it at 15 seconds 1800mph.
>>
>>30483000
Is this that Richard guy with a pokedex hardon?
>>
File: XUIZUZx.png (96KB, 747x70px) Image search: [Google]
XUIZUZx.png
96KB, 747x70px
>>30483427
There's also this.

In reality, it'd probably be even faster than that!
>>
>>30481440
Alternative explanation to the velocity/acceleration discussion: for both Pidgeot and Dragonite a speed of flight is mentioned. 02M is the fastest being ever measured when it comes to running speed.
>>
>>30483000
The word speed is used in Physics to describe an objects change in position over a change in time. A change in position is also know as 'displacement'.

Now, mind you, language is tool. It is our ability to rigorously evoke meaning if done properly. If you say the 'speed' of acceleration, you would be correct to say that acceleration can change just like position can due to the application of a force that causes a displacement. There is a word for the change in acceleration, but I cannot remember at the moment for I am not my Mathematics professor.
>>
>>30483674
I did my undergrad in math and physics. I know what these words mean, thanks.

>>30483617
This is it. How quickly the Pokemon can act in battle has little to do with what it is capable of in the Pokemon world. Stats are set for battles and don't really reflect the actual powers of Pokemon accurately.

>>30483427
I'm ignoring every post that mentions acceleration because the original text from the game does not mention it.

>>30483337
This has nothing to do with what's happening, here.
>>
>>30484055
What exactly is your angle?
What are you trying to convince everyone of?
You're arguing semantics in the worst possible way.
Leave it to a math major to be incapable of understanding the nuances of the English language.
>>
>>30481877
No, its not. It tells us nothing useful after an instant or 120km/h.
>>
>>30482476
>poorly worded
>units of speed
>literal speed comparison
>uses the word speed
>autists
>>
>>30484321
>What exactly is your angle?
He doesn't like Pheremosa.
>>
>>30484354
It is though. The data is incomplete, but the units over units are clearly stated, and match the format of a measure of acceleration.

This whole thread is filled with retards.
>>
>>30483674
Jerk. Jerk, jounce, crackle and pop. Did your mathematics professor seriously use them? Mine would barely deign to go as far as velocity/position, preferring the second derivative of position.
>>
>>30484055
>this has nothing to do with what's happening here
So your problem is that you're just anal about a specific keyword? Because the dex is implying it without going into the specific terminology.

Jesus, I knew /vp/ was autistic but this is just too much.
>>
>>30484469
It's like car acceleration, '0-100 in 10 seconds'. It's technically a measure of acceleration, but it gives you a lot more information about speed than acceleration. The fact that they immediately follow it up with a speed comparison makes it pretty plain.
>>
>>30484469
No they do not.

>>30484471
Are you an engineer?
>>
>>30482006
Game Freak sure as fuck hasn't
>>
>>30484531
Physics, just love the names.
>>
>>30484592
Then you know what speed and acceleration are, and how they're different.

>>30484582
They probably have.
>>
>>30484530
You have no critical thinking nor reading comprehension skills.

The fact that they use the word speed afterward means they are talking about Pheromosa's top speed. Its Pokedex entry references it running across the earth very quickly.
This has nothing to do with acceleration.

This is a case of GF having new programmers who were not aware of previous pokedex entries.

Alternatively, it says that its faster than any known animal - which is true. The fastest is the Cheetah. It's not faster than any Pokemon though.

Even if this did mean acceleration, Abra is still faster with teleport. It has infinite acceleration because it moves instantaneously from rest.
>>
How the fuck can you have pokedex literalists now that you have shit like Gengar suddenly being a human and murdering kids for friends?
>>
>>30481440
Acceleration and speed are different things, however.
>>
>>30485075
You fucking autist, I'm agreeing with you. It's TECHNICALLY a measure of acceleration (in that position per time per time is acceleration, and they unequivocably use that set of units) but it's much more useful as a kind of speed comparison, especially when they immediately follow up with a SPEED COMPARISON.

P.S. Teleportation would not necessarily give infinite acceleration. It could just be using a shorter path (folding space)
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.