[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the first time it's been stated that the characters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: English, motherfucker.png (606KB, 753x479px) Image search: [Google]
English, motherfucker.png
606KB, 753x479px
Is this the first time it's been stated that the characters in-game are actually speaking English? Of course, it makes sense with Alola being a USA-based region.
>>
>>30466414
Was she making fun of him?
>>
TAIHEN DA
>>
>>30466414
Well you're playing in English, it wouldn't make sense for her to ask him to speak Japanese.
>>
In the japanese version he's only speaking in an accent. So no mention of the language name. So it's not canon imo, blame translators.

Different languages are shown to exist in the world though. Some guy shows up in Unova speaking normally who had an accent in the Kanto games, I think it might've been a Team Rocket guy or something.
>>
Well they mentioned French before as well.

I mean the Pokemon World is like a weird version of our world after all, it makes sense that people still speak normal languages.

Also does that mean Anabel was speaking English back during Hoenn as well? She must have been very hated by the Japanese. Also how does she understand the player character, does the player character know English despite living in Kanto their entire life?
>>
>>30466483
Plot-triggered amnesia. Changing people's native languages since it's been a thing!
>>
>>30466463
Well, sometimes translators do good. I actually liked this touch.
>>
There's also this dialogue from the Pokemon Center cafe guy

>By the way, did you know the English word “taboo” may have its origins here in Alola? But I’m actually too lazy to check whether that’s true or not, though.

Just like how in real life, the word "taboo" is believed to have origins in Hawaii.
>>
>scientists in films/shows always get told to speak in English when explaining something
>Looker is literally not speaking English

I think it's genius.
>>
poor translation
>>
Your main character always has a blank smile because they are a foreigner and literally has no idea what anyone is saying.
>>
>>30466682
What about Red? He's a Kanto native.
>>
>>30466714
Well I'm sure your character would understand Red completely if he ever spoke
>>
>>30466483

Well, Looker and Nanu say that Poni Island is where they found Anabel.

She might have been Japanese in the universe she came from, but since Alola (PokeHawaii) is where she ended up after she got sucked into the Ultra Wormhole and lost her memories, she's American now.
>>
This is why the international battling sign is staring, because not everyone knows other languages in order to initiate a battle.
>>
>>30466483
The PC is bi-racial. His/her mom is native(?) Alolan. It stands to reason he/she was raised bilingual.
>>
>>30466414
yeah
>>
>>30466940
Interestingly enough, his mom acts like she's never been to Alola herself. So her family has been living in Kanto since at least her parents.
>>
>Team Rocket has an R on their uniforms, not a Japanese symbol
>Magma/Aqua have a stylized M/A
>Galactic has a G
>Plasma has a P
>I didn't play XY, but I didn't see any letters
>Skull has a stylized S, Aether has a stylized A

Seems like English was always canon.
>>
>>30466463
Hey, have you played that sidequest in the original japanese? .
>>
>>30466414
http://legendsoflocalization.com/what-does-that-tourist-lady-say-in-pokemon-xy/
>>
American is the universal language, so of course.
>>
>>30466414
someone edit out the mr looker part
>>
>>30466414
Guess what! In french, she says "français". French is the official pokemon language.
>>
>>30470252
English wasn't invented in america, you fucking baiter faggot!
>>
>>30470252
Do you know American is not even a language?
>>
>>30470336
Only is worse region Kalos maybe.
>>
>>30470380
>>30470389
You don't say "colour" or "centre" in American, you unfree third worlders.
>>
>>30466414
>emerald isn't in this canon
Man I'm so upset, the Hoenn in the world she came from had the kick ass battle frontier and all we got was the battle tree. I never played the post game of ORAS but the game was a little disappointing.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.