[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Head-on Collision (であいがしら): oh, it's like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 11

File: 1480080314098.png (168KB, 418x418px) Image search: [Google]
1480080314098.png
168KB, 418x418px
>Head-on Collision (であいがしら): oh, it's like when a bug collides with you out of nowhere. Makes sense as a strong priority bug move.
>First Impression: What? Is he applying for a job interview? How is he actually attacking the target? What does this have to do with bugs?

>Aqua Break (アクアブレイク): oh, it's like he's "breaking water," i.e. hitting you with powerful swim strokes. Makes sense as a physical water attack.
>Liquidation: What? Is he turning you into liquid? Is he selling off his assets?

>Burn Out (もえつきる): right, it "burns itself out" with a big attack, losing fire type. Clever.
>Burn Up: uh, as in "this really burns me up?" It gets so angry it loses its type? Shouldn't this be called "burn out?"

Why is the localization so bad this gen?
>>
To misquote an anon First Impression is like when the scrawny white boi goes to prison and to avoid getting raped the first thing he does is stab the biggest guy he sees
>>
first impression is a clever name
>>
>>30387600
>First Impression
The first thing you see from Golispod
>Liquidation
Your ass is being turned to liquid botch
>BURN Up
It burns up all its energy and loses the fire type

Why are anons so shit this gen?
>>
>>30387600
>Burn Up: uh, as in "this really burns me up?"
no as in burning up all your fuel idiot
>>
>>30387600
>Cherry Pick: selectively choose (the most beneficial items) from what is available.
>>
>>30387600
Breaking Water, like a pregnant woman. Yeah, this makes sense as a good physical water move.
>>
>>30387600
>Head-on Collision
So it launches itself by vaulting with its huge arms?
>>
>>30387600
>First Impression

It's a pun. It goes first, plus you are literally/physically impressing yourself onto the opponent.

I agree with Liquidation. Aqua Break fits it much more. On the bright side, our localization allows us to roleplay that our Golispod is a desperate businessman.
>>
>>30387872
>Wimp out is because he can't take being under so much pressure to force a merger
>>
>>30387660
But that's bullying!
>>
First Impression fits both the lore and gameplay. Lore because it looks terrifying at first, but then you find out it's a pacifist
>Moon Pokedex: It battles skillfully with its six arms, but spends most of its time peacefully meditating in caves deep beneath the sea.
Gameplay because it only works on the first turn (until switched out), i.e. Golisopod is taking advantage of the fact that the opponent is initially scared of this giant bug before they realize it's still a wimp like Wimpod.

Liquidation sounds cool, but only would've made sense if it were exclusive to invertebrates and things that liquidate their prey.

Burn Up should've been Burn Out, and Roost Tornadus should've been changed to the Typeless status for consistency's sake. And a typeless memory for Silvally for fuck's sake.
>>
>>30387600
First Impression works, since you can think of it as Golisopod doing its best to appear as a threat, when instead it just wants to meditate in a cave. It's a First Impression since the enemy won't fall for it twice. I agree that it doesn't really imply what the move actually DOES, though.

Liquidation is just a pun on liquid, but I agree that it wasn't necessary.

Changing Burn Out to Burn Up is harmless, but also unnecessary. The move could have stayed as Burn Out and nobody would have complained.

Pokemon localization tends to either change things for the sake of a joke, or just because somebody felt like it.

Case in point
>in JP, the first three Ball types are Poke Balls, Super Balls, and Hyper Balls (hence the giant H on the ball itself)
>in EN, they're now Poke Balls, Great Balls, and Ultra Balls
>in Sun/Moon, balls to catch Ultra Beasts are introduced
>they're fittingly called Ultra Balls in JP; you use UBs to catch UBs
>because the English localization arbitrarily made Hyper Balls into Ultra Balls 20 years ago, the NEW Ultra Balls have to be called Beast Balls
>>
>Litleo-->Pyroar
>Litten-->Incineroar
>>
Oh fuck off you weeb. First Impression is better than the Jap name because it immediately tells you what the move does. It's a thing that always goes first only on the first turn. So it's a first impression. "Head on collision" just sounds like a generic headbutt attack.

Liquidation is a pun. "Liquidate" means to eliminate by killing. But it's also a water move because of the "liquid" part.
>>
i want golisopod to liquidate my ass
>>
>>30387947
I wonder if Lusamine using Ultra Balls for her regular Pokemon was a reference to their English names.
>>
>>30387600
This free reign shit is what ends up fucking westerns when abilities like Bulletproof are introduced and you are surprised when shit like Aura Sphere and Acid Spray don't hit for some reason before checking out the OG names.
>>
>>30387915
Exactly, Golisopod is the whimp that grew into a bully, just like Guzma.
>>
>>30388050
>ywn see Pangoro defend his bro from a Golisopod
>>
>>30387600
> is he selling off his assets?

You gotta diversify your bonds, nigga
>>
>>30387966
>because it immediately tells you what the move does
All it tells you is that it has priority. It doesn't sound at all like an attack, and doesn't tell you how it attacks.
>>
>>30387600
I get Liquidation and Soak messed up all the time now
>>
>>30388155
>L+A Move Info
>>
>>30387600
Localization teams charge based on the amount of words localized that's why they make these changes. The Japanese names of signature moves of the box legendaries make more sense than the English ones and are already in English
>>
>>30388206
mixed*
>>
>>30388011
Similar problem with Sucker Punch, leading to people wondering why it either isn't boosted by Iron Fist or why it can be used by Pokemon without arms.

Then you find out it's called Surprise Attack in JP.

A good localization changes as little as possible.
>>
>>30388242
Sucker Punch was a good localization. Everyone gets the idea of a sucker punch.
>>
>>30387600
As a foreginer I loved Liquidation - Itconnects water and strong attack very well
>>
>>30387966
anon is 100% right on the liquidation part
its literally liquidation because liquidation is a usually violent killing + it's funny because it contains the word liquid

how do people get so confused by this
>>
In the spanish localitzation the translation is better
>>
>>30388242
A "sucker punch" doesn't necessarily mean a literal punch in English buddy
>>
>>30388319
Lol no. For all it's faults English remains better
>>
> not liquidating your enemies
>>
>>30388220
>The Japanese names of signature moves of the box legendaries

This shit is so fucking stupid. "Sunsteel Strike" is like naming Roar of Time "Diamonddragon Blast."
>>
>>30387947
>Beast Balls
That just sounds even worse
>>
>>30388434
This.
>>
File: Freeze_Shock.png (81KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
Freeze_Shock.png
81KB, 400x240px
>>30388434
Ah yes, reminds me of my favorite move, "Lightning Dragonfreeze."
>>
File: supes.png (550KB, 918x418px)
supes.png
550KB, 918x418px
>>30387947
Wait...are Super Balls modeled after Superman's costume?
>>
File: tumblr_inline_nj4usswAlO1svu8ku.jpg (22KB, 472x343px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_nj4usswAlO1svu8ku.jpg
22KB, 472x343px
>>30388050
He's a jerk and everybody loves him.
>>
>>30388242
How do you think that Sucker Punch is a literal punch? Sucker Punch is a fantastic localization.
>>
>>30388709
I don't know, go ask the thousands of retards who think so.
>>
>>30388709
Gee how would someone think a move with punch literally in the name is a fucking punch boy i wonder
>>
>>30387600
Neither of the names for First Impression has anything to do with bugs. Neither does U-Turn.
>>
>>30388761
"sucker punch" is a turn of phrase
>>
>>30388585
>Gen 5 remakes
>we get the original dragon
>Lighting Dragonfreeze Flare
>It's just an elementless Tri Attack with 100 base power
>>
>>30388799
this phrase is literally never used outside the context of a punch.
>>
>oh, it's like when a bug collides with you out of nowhere.

That sounds really weak and ineffectual.
>>
File: 1477524443064s.jpg (6KB, 206x250px) Image search: [Google]
1477524443064s.jpg
6KB, 206x250px
>>30388050
Holy shit I never noticed that. Golisopod makes so much more sense as his main now.
>>
>>30388863
>he's never sucker punched someone with an open hand
>>30388866
I don't know why I laughed at this
>>
>>30388895
>punched someone with an open hand
then it's not a punch you faggot, and nobody would call it that.
>>
>>30388920
People who aren't uneducated retards would, seeing as a sucker punch is an unannounced punch OR blow.
>>
>>30388761

Do you think X-Scissor involves scissors, retard?
>>
File: r8pgh[1].jpg (645KB, 3072x2304px)
r8pgh[1].jpg
645KB, 3072x2304px
>>30387600

First Impression is probably a reference to how people think isopods are scary-looking at first, but once you get used to them and realize that they're harmless, they become cute.
>>
>>30387600
> Malicious Moonsault

That's ok I guess. Awesome animation though.

> Find out the Japanese name is HYPER DARK CRUSHER
> HAIPAAA DAAAAKUUU KURRAASSHAAAAA

Fuck me that's so much better
>>
>>30389080
Bad example. The description of the move literally says that the pokemon takes its claws/scythes and uses them like scissors.
>>
>>30389130
giant marine isopods are pretty chill dudes
just really big pillbugs more or less
aint nobody should be afraid of a pillbug
raddest crustacean
>>
Did anybody else find it funny how Wimp Out and Emergency Exit are pretty much the same thing but the name change tries to make it sound like retreating is badass but it's not that is the joke
>>
File: 6dc.jpg (39KB, 640x428px)
6dc.jpg
39KB, 640x428px
>>30387734
Underrated post
>>
>>30389244
I just wish it got an HA. Tough Claws would be a little obscene but something like Shell Armor would be cool. A setup set to contrast its hit-n-run set.
>>
>>30389244
yeah i think that's the joke
>>
File: chips.jpg (33KB, 600x347px) Image search: [Google]
chips.jpg
33KB, 600x347px
>>30389130
except that move fucking hurts like shit.
>>
>>30389312
Oh okay
>>
>>30388709
I never said I personally thought it was a literal punch, I said that it leads other people into thinking it's a punch.

I agree it's a good change, but I'm also just pointing out how random name changes could confuse non-native English speakers.
>>
>>30389156

>Bringing description into a point about the name

>Sucker punch's description vaguely mentions "attack" rather than "punch"

Nice 1
>>
>>30388242
>>30387600
Yep, Crossroad Killing is a far superior name for Night Slash, the dark type Slash clone, based Japan does it again, when will western cucks stop being btfo???
>>
>>30389390
I'm not the guy that you were responding to. I was just pointing out your flawed example.

I agree that Sucker Punch is a good localization.
>>
>>30389401
Calm down.

That's an example of a good localization, one that's still covered in the idea of "change as little as possible".

The concept of Tsujigiri (Crossroad Killing) would be culturally known in Japan, not to mention fitting quite well with the whole concept of Dark-types as underhanded to downright malicious.
Same goes for Aerial Ace, or Swallow Return in JP.

English audiences aren't likely to be familiar with medieval Japanese samurai terminology/techniques, so these are good changes.
>>
>>30389401
Crossroad Killing is an actual reference to Japanese history, of course it wouldn't make sense in English. Same with how we get Dragon Ascent instead of "Dot the eyes of the dragon"
>>
I always thought "Ambush" would have been the best localization of ふいうち

It conveys the attack's effect well, an ambush is waiting for the opponent to come into your trap, so it makes sense it only works against an opponent actively trying to attack you.
>>
File: the real type null.png (703KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
the real type null.png
703KB, 1280x1280px
I didn't even know burn up existed, what happens if Typhlosion uses it? Does it not have a type or does it default to normal?
>>
>>30389244

That's why it's Guzma's signature Pokemon.
>>
>implying it's just this gen

Pokemon localization has always been meh. There's a lot of shit that's poorly or flat out mistranslated in this series. See: most of the Gen 1 moves.
>>
>>30389828
Typeless
>>
File: QjmpEy.png (18KB, 256x256px)
QjmpEy.png
18KB, 256x256px
>power of alchemy
couldn't they have just called the ability "alchemy" or "alchemic" or "chemical reaction" or "volatile"

>>30387600
>first impression
yeah that's bad

>liquidation
it just sounds like a special move to me

>>30389144
malicious moonsault and sinister arrow raid are both a mouthfull
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.