[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just beat the game. This is without question the best

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 12

File: IMG_5899.jpg (114KB, 642x550px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5899.jpg
114KB, 642x550px
I just beat the game.

This is without question the best pokemon game to date
>>
You obviously have not played black2
>>
>>30377319
You obviously have not played black
>>
It's definitely up there. Infinity times better than XY.
>>
>>30377319
>Played Black 2
I do not understand.
Why did everyone like it so much?
>>
>>30377374
Pretty expansive postgame, I guess. It's the only thing /vp/ seems to care about. Also it's trending now to call the next-to-previous generation good. Just look at the amount of people during Gen 6 that were implying that HG/SS was good.
>>
>>30377374
Even without the WiFi it's the single most content heavy pokemon game to date and features some great areas and minigames to explore on the side.

It also isn't as plot heavy as Black was.
>>
Yeah
>>
>>30377301
did you even play hg/ss?
>your lead pokemon should follow behind you in every game
no clue why this mechanic never got carried over
>>
>>30377392
They were.. As were every Pokemon game. Is it that hard to accept? There's not really much to hate about any of the games especially if you like all the others. No mainline games are honestly bad. Sure they may be lacking, but not bad
>>
>>30377392
As they say, you don't know what you've got until it's gone.
>>
>>30377301
yup. Played all of them too.
>>
>>30377432
Because it's worthless.
Hell the only reason they were added to begin with was because of BW needing overworld sprites for every mon.
>>
>>30377319
Black 2 doesn't have Lillie.
>>
>>30377440
I don't know. The games that neutered or removed fun side quests and mechanics are pretty bad for that.
>>
>>30377407
BW had a good plot. It alone puts it above the sequels for me.
>>
>>30377407
>>It also isn't as plot heavy as Black was.
One of the reasons why most people love BW was because of the plot. If what you are saying is supposed to be a good point, it's not. BW2's plot did not meet expectations at all, not even close.
>>
>>30377301
This.

The moment when you storm Aether Paradise was one of the most exciting in the whole series. That fight with Guzma was super challenging and I was so into it that I forgot I was cooking and almost cause a fire in my kitchen.
>>
>>30377510
This. Storywise it's BW > SM > BW2 >>>>>> Sinnoh > Hoenn > Kalos > Kanto > Johto

Glad we left Gen VI behind so fast.
>>
>>30377350
>>30377319
>>30377301
>>30377510
>>30377407

Agreed - probably the best overall. Tied with Black/White for story/plot.

>>30377592 got it right, pretty much.
>>
>>30377579
It's not that I'm saying it's bad but the main problem people had with BW was that the plot stopped them too frequently.
While it's still there in BW2 it's just not as heavy or long.
>>
>>30377301

better than everything except gen 5 IMO
>>
>>30377591
you sound like a 14 years old

getting excited by "storming" a facility in a pokemon game... holy shit haha
>>
>>30377692
wow, you must have an enjoyable life

you sound jealous and sad.

fuck off faggot
>>
>>30377301
>slowdowns even on n3ds when more than 2 Pokemon
>half second delay after you choose an attack
>dungeons are laughable and the only good one is victory road equivalent
>towns and cities are super lackluster
>flying animation takes way too long
>battle tree is more bullshit than battle train and sends out legendary users earlier
>post game is even worse than x and y
>the IV training BS hyped up by people is a load of shit with bottle caps being very sparse and no quick method to get to level 100.
>>
>>30377692
You know its okay to get engaged by a video game on an anonymous messageboard, the kids at school won't call you names
>>
>>30377407

>single most content heavy pokemon game to date

actually that would be Platinum.

>>30377579

>One of the reasons why most people love BW was because of the plot.

the plot was only good for a pokemon game, in general it really wasn't that good.
>>
Ive reached the first UB and ive pretty much decided this is my least favorite gen to date. Gonna finish amd hope my mind changes but i doubt it will, its not like its the shitty overrated story that makes me dislike it most
>>
>>30377692
Shut the fuck up anon, going into the aether paradise for the raid was cool as fuck.
>>
>>30377933
>the IV training BS hyped up by people is a load of shit with bottle caps being very sparse and no quick method to get to level 100.

Everyone miss the Toxic Orb Healing Wish Blisseys.
>>
>>30377933
XY's post game is shit house compared to SM.
SM has more.
>>
>>30377301
I would argue that Sun and Moon only have the second best Region in the series after Orre in terms of its culture and world building. The plot was pretty much on par with the rest of the series save for Cosmog being the best character to ever grace this franchise next to Miror B. If I had my way, I'd remove Pikachu as mascot, replace it with Cosmog, and tell Mimikyu to get a new disguise which would be a large handbag.
>>
>>30377301
Yes, I pity the ones still clinging on BW2 or whatever.

I played every gen on release and nothing got me like SM. Kukui best professor and rival.
>>
>>30377591
>super challenging
I feel like that fucking angry toucan ruined my game by making him easy as fuck every time.
>>
Agreed.

Aside from the exclusion of a national dex and few other questionable gameplay changes [why so many 1% encounter rates?!]; this is probably my fav set of games to date.

I'm at the Pokemon league and there's still entire sections of alola I've yet to explore. plenty of stuff to do in the post-game.
>>
>>30377933
>>slowdowns even on n3ds when more than 2 Pokemon
Okay. This is a flaw.
>>half second delay after you choose an attack
This too.
>>dungeons are laughable and the only good one is victory road equivalent
>most dungeons are good and the only laughable one is victory road equivalent
FTFY
>>towns and cities are super lackluster
Only because almost all buildings you can access are limited to boutiques, Pokemon Centers, shops, and salons
>>flying animation takes way too long
It's the exact same as every other Flying animation
>>battle tree is more bullshit than battle train and sends out legendary users earlier
So you are complaining about the challenge you wanted?
>>post game is even worse than x and y
This is wrong. Very wrong.
>>the IV training BS hyped up by people is a load of shit with bottle caps being very sparse and no quick method to get to level 100.
???
>>
>>30377591
>in the whole series

Haha, holy shit, no

It was good, but it was too stripped down and easy to be the best in the entire 20 year franchise.
>>
>>30378238
>Kukui best professor and rival.
Kukui was a shit character, and him being the champion was also shit. Game would've been better if he just sent you on your way like usual.
>>
>>30378238
Kukui doesn't qualify as a rival, unless you consider someone like, say, Steven a rival. He is a supportive character that battles you later.

Hau and Gladeon qualifies as rivals. Too bad Hau is Bianca 2.0, but at least the edgelord covered up.
>>
>>30378304
>not liking young, jolly and heartful professor
Kukui challenging you was the best possible outcome.
I am sorry you don't get its meaning.
>>
>>30377482
SuMo doesn't have Roxie.
>>
File: cynthia.jpg (26KB, 710x426px) Image search: [Google]
cynthia.jpg
26KB, 710x426px
>>30377482
>>30378429
You know who's in both game tough? Best girl. Sinnoh confirmed.
>>
I hope this game isn't forgettable later, like Kalos was.

All the names of towns and characters and even some of the pokemon are just people slamming their fists on the keyboard and making up garblemess.
>>
https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_ohdq66UW1r1thpvap.mp4#_=_
>>
>>30377301
When does it finally become good?
Routes are linear as fuck.
Doesn't feel like an adventure at all, I'm forced down one way without a chance to explore anywhere.
At least the new Pokemon are fun
>>
>>30378489
Racist
>>
>>30377301
I truly wish I could agree, but I simply don't see how.

The entire first island feels like one long droning tutorial, it's a fucking drag.

The game has so many tedious cutscenes. I don't mind story or anything, but so much of the game is devoted to these long, slow cutscenes that constantly interrupt the gameplay.

The region, while it seems to be designed somewhat openly, forces you to move in an extremely linear fashion throughout the game; the few branching paths that exist are solely for you to grab some item.

This game was still easy. I mean, yeah, it's a modern Pokemon game, it's gonna be easy, but I keep seeing people saying that this game was super challenging, which is baffling to me. Some fights were harder than the things you'd see in Gen 6, but that's extremely far from being challenging. The Trials were all far easier than gyms, and were almost unanimously just a series of OHKOs.

The story was interesting, I suppose, but it felt like there was a lot of wasted potential. Team Skull does virtually nothing outside of Po Town, Aether does nothing besides when Lusamine goes crazy, the UB missions are just more Looker lore rather than providing information about Ultra Beasts/Ultra Space, etc.

The endgame is the worst in any game since Gen 2. Even Gen 6 crushes it in comparison; X/Y and ORAS had an entire town after the Elite 4, devoted to endgame stuff like the Friend Safari or the Move Tutors. In Sun/Moon, literally the only thing you get is one of the most basic Battle Towers since Gen 2, and a standard BP shop. It's not like there wasn't room, Poni Island is fucking TINY, they easily could've spent a good hour or two at least making the area around the Battle Tree bigger and adding some fun endgame stuff like tutors or a shop or fucking ANYTHING.

There's nothing wrong with liking the game, but it is simply a fact that this is not the best pokemon game, full stop.
>>
File: FUCK YOU.png (953KB, 1016x1016px) Image search: [Google]
FUCK YOU.png
953KB, 1016x1016px
>>30378529
Oh, and I'd also like to add that the Pokefestival is an obnoxious pile of shit and is probably the worst integration of online stuff in any pokemon game to date.
>>
>>30377692
>getting triggered by someone enjoying a game on anonymous board
>>
File: 1480458731177.png (27KB, 645x632px) Image search: [Google]
1480458731177.png
27KB, 645x632px
>>30377692
>Holy shit haha
>Not projecting
>>
File: i'll bite.jpg (13KB, 308x308px) Image search: [Google]
i'll bite.jpg
13KB, 308x308px
>>30378503
>>30378529
>muh linearity
>>
File: bait museum.jpg (118KB, 627x477px) Image search: [Google]
bait museum.jpg
118KB, 627x477px
>>30378661
>hehe i'll reply with one of your points and a bait image
>>
>>30378661
>muh bait
Seriously, it's the first game since Ruby where I just don't have the motivation to keep playing. It all feels so tedious, slow and, well, linear.
Where's the adventure???
>>
>>30377301
>Slowdown more noticeable than before
>PSS was great, Festival Plaza sucks
>Too many single-stage gimmick Pokémon added
>No new shark Pokémon in the region based on Hawaii
>You only fight one UB in the main story
Just about the only real complaints I have. SM are probably my favourite games in the series so far, and if we get a third version that improves on it it could be even better.
>>
>>30377374
I rate it highly because it corrected all of the problems with Black, namely that I wasn't forced to exclusively use Unova pokemon.
>>
>>30377374
It had the best post-game, you know how much /vp/ loves post-game.
>>
>>30379864
This is the shit that made Game Freak hide its 73 new pokemon behind 1% encounter rates.
>>
>>30377692
Fuck off kid
>>
I have 2 problems with the game
>shitty fps in doubles
>Lillie leaves after story
>>
>>30377350
You obviously are not black
>>
The game is possibly top 5 for me, but certainly not the best. The overworld is small, and within that overworld, the towns are small, and within those small towns, there's nothing to do as all the buildings are blocked off. The best island (Melemele) gets cut off the most, cut scene wise. Story is fine but with poor pacing

>>30377392
Stop forcing the Zelda Cycle on Pokemon

>>30377592
The Johto plot is certainly better than Kanto and Kalos. Liked it more than Hoenn and BW too but that's just me. And there's no powergap.

>>30378529
Also, all of this is true.
>>
I liked the game well enough when I was playing it, but after I beat the main story I was like... really missing a bunch of stuff added in ORAS. DexNav, Soar, PSS. All those omissions made the 'post-game' really lackluster for me, as a somewhat casual Pokemon player.

SOS chaining is really boring to get HAs and good IV'd Pokemon, Festival Plaza is a grind, not to mention that the tecnical side of the game is a real mess in the OG 3DS. Play ORAS after it and you'll notice basically how much faster everything is.

Anyway, it wasn't a bad game (that's the original DP, imo), but I fell out of love with it quite fast by Pokemon standards. So much that I started an ORAS replay, lol.
>>
>>30377374
edgy faggots. Gen5 was trash in any way. Especially all the pokemon, except 3 or 4
>>
It's not my favorite but it is way up there
>>
>>30377482
lillie faggots are cancer, she is the worst character of all time, all I want is see her dead.
>>
>>30380923
I think this may happen with many.

People love it now, but I don't think it will hold up with people over time. Some people, sure. But many will start to lose interest when the time comes for replays or playing the postgame in the coming year
>>
>>30377482
I know, isn't it great?
>>
File: image.jpg (99KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99KB, 700x700px
>>30377319
Unovabortions on record time
>>
>>30380477
You are obviously not Black
>>
>>30377440

XY are the only Pokemon games that I can say without a shred of exaggeration that are legitimately bad.

Side note: I don't dislike ORAS, but I sure as fuck hated the competitive meta.
>>
>>30377591
>The moment when you storm Aether Paradise was one of the most exciting in the whole series.
Haha, what? It was pathetic. There was barely any build up at all, and "storming" the building consisted of you going into the basement and getting into a couple of scripted battles.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was absolutely no indication or reasoning behind Aether suddenly becoming the antagonist than the fact that the game needed it. The other Mary-Sue NPCs were just suddenly like "We need to go to Aether to rescue them!" and that was it. There was never any build up or actual suspicion of Aether Paradise.
>>
File: reflectioncave.png (643KB, 1318x469px) Image search: [Google]
reflectioncave.png
643KB, 1318x469px
Where were the caves?
This is a cave in XY, /vp/'s favorite game to shit on.
>>
>>30380966
Agreed. SM are solid games, but it also took some steps back in areas. It's a very fun game to play, but unlike ORAS with its dexnav, it doesn't feature anything in particular that would give players reason to pick it up again once a newer game is released.
>>
>>30381034
>XY are the only Pokemon games that I can say without a shred of exaggeration that are legitimately bad.
I really enjoyed XY, I do not understand the hate they get. I've legitimately enjoyed all of the Pokemon games, with Gen 3 being my least favorite. That said, I really kind of hate SM.

Why does everyone think XY are so bad? Is it just coming down from all the content in BW2, it seemed a little sparse? I think it still had just as much, or more, to offer than SM.
>>
>>30380923
Oh, same anon here, I forgot to mention: what a disgrace the "Victory Road" turned out to be. One of the biggest hype killers in the series in ages. The E4 itself being repeats of those kahunas also didn't work very well, but jesus, the climb... lol.
>>
>>30381063
That's a funny picture of ORAS you got there, anon.
>>
>>30381085
Not him but I agree with you. Well XY was indeed a step-down in some regards to previous games, it also had a lot of new stuff that people don't consider when comparing it to older games. And now that SM is out, people are conveniently ignoring what's missing from SM that was present in XY to praise the good parts of the game. And I feel there's a bias at work where some people subconsciously look at all the good parts of SM and ignoring the bad parts because they WANT the game to be good (Because nobody wants their new game to be bad after all).
>>
>>30381199
That's the Reflection Cave in the north-west of Kalos after the second the second gym.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Reflection_Cave
>>
>>30381085
It's a repeat of Crystal > RS but with a large regional pokedex. Crystal and BW2 featured lots of content and new features for their time (and were objective improvements over their predecessors), but the subsequent game, while looking nicer, didn't have much to do.
>>
everything about making battlemkns is a big step back
fuck the festival plaza to death
>>
>>30381253
I haven't begun to delve into this yet, but it certainly seems to be the case. I'm glad I already bred and trained a horde of my favorite Pokemon last generation and I can just transfer them up.
>>
>>30381162
Because that's not victory road. Victory road is the Poni canyon.
>>
>>30378489
This. I cant tell you a single location name in this game.
>>
>>30381321
That's not how these things work though, and even the in-game dialogue seemed to indicate it'd be a Victory Roads of sorts. Then it just... kind of doesn't materialize.

Pony Canyon is probably the best area of the game though, I'll give it that.
>>
>>30381321
Poni Canyon is much shorter than Victory Road in previous games and Lillie heals you three time while going through it.
>>
>>30381321
Even that was pathetic. The areas in this game were a dumbed-down joke.

I got all excited to chase anime lady antagonist into another dimension for the final battle, hoping I would get to finally explore this dangerous pocket universe that the game had been teasing the whole time. I was expecting something weird and cool like the distortion universe in Platinum, but what did I get?

A fucking hallway with a cutscene in the middle and a cutscene a the end. I honestly can't think of a better scenario to sum up my disappointment with this game and modern video games in general.

>>30378489
I remember plenty of Pokemon names because at least they usually tie in with the design or origin of the Pokemon. Characters I don't remember because I don't care about the shitty story at all, and the places, yeah, that's what happens when you make up Polynesian-sounding names. It's all "hukimuki" and "palalaoila". In one ear and out the other.

I have to wonder if things in games are really becoming less memorable, or if I'm just not remembering them because I care less than when I was a kid. Probably a combo.
>>
>>30379864
Maybe you don't remember this because you're too young, but when RS came out you were forced to use only Hoenn pokemon until you got all the way to Granite Cave.
>>
>>30381445
>I was expecting something weird and cool like the distortion universe in Platinum, but what did I get?
Exactly what I was thinking when going through that part too, I expected something like Platinum. When Lusamine transformed I expected to actually fight her transformed form. Instead I got an angry Clefairy. What was even the point of transforming her?
>>
>>30379864
>namely that I wasn't forced to exclusively use Unova pokemon.
Am I the only one who actually liked this? I prefer using new regional Pokemon in each generation, and Gen 5 had arguably the best stand-alone Pokedex in the series.

>>30381566
>What was even the point of transforming her?
Those Japs love their transformation sequences.
>>
>>30381085

>Why does everyone think XY are so bad?

I can't speak for everyone, but here are the reasons why I think they're bad:

1) None of the new characters are memorable, despite being constantly shoved down your throats. No one was fleshed out, no one was important.

2) The evil team's plot made absolutely zero sense. Actually, the writing in general was just terrible.

3) There is significantly less content than in most other titles to date (I can't even fathom how you can argue SM has less, when there are dozens of side quests, many of which flesh out characters).

4) The EXP system was all kinds of fucked up, resulting in poor level scaling that made everything a bit too simple. I realize that Pokemon has never been a difficult series, but this was easily the easiest to date. I beat the game in 6 hours with one pokemon, barely rushing if at all.

5) Can you name one song from the XY soundtrack? I sure as fuck can't.

It was just such a negative experience for me. Pokemon X is one of very few games I regret buying.

SM aren't perfect by any means, but I feel like they're a significant step up from Gen 6. I really like the direction the series is going, if SM is an indicator.
>>
>>30381671
>2) The evil team's plot made absolutely zero sense. Actually, the writing in general was just terrible.

Gen 3 was even worse here and it gets it's story praised for some reason. But you are right, X/Y story was a mess.
>>
>>30381671
>5) Can you name one song from the XY soundtrack? I sure as fuck can't.

I think the Champion's theme is better than the entirety of SM's soundtrack, personally speaking. But that's about as subjective as it gets, so.

I agree with the evil team, though. Then again, I don't think SM is any better in this regard. The cool cutscenes help hide that Lusamine is a clusterfuck of a character that has very little reason to act the way she does, and the game gives her absolutely 0 development.

And speaking of shit writing, Lilie is the epitome of that. I don't even dislike her, in fact, I think she's one of SM's best assets, but whenever she WASN'T giving a speech in an importan story scene, 99% of her dialogue was trash. I've lost count of how many instances of "TRAINERS CAN DO EVERYTHING" she throws out in the last 5 hours of the game. It was like, her answer to EVERYTHING.
>>
File: 1478425098920.jpg (201KB, 474x659px) Image search: [Google]
1478425098920.jpg
201KB, 474x659px
>>30377692
Get out, gladion
>>
>>30381671
While I don't disagree with this, I don't think SM fix many of those issues
>>
>>30381671
>1) None of the new characters are memorable, despite being constantly shoved down your throats. No one was fleshed out, no one was important.
I can argue the same for every other Pokemon game. SM shoved them down our throats even harder with its overbearing story.
>2) The evil team's plot made absolutely zero sense. Actually, the writing in general was just terrible.
Again, true for pretty much every Pokemon game aside from the first two. Or anime/Japanese storytelling in general. Shit's just dumb.
>3) There is significantly less content than in most other titles to date (I can't even fathom how you can argue SM has less, when there are dozens of side quests, many of which flesh out characters).
Are these sidequests in the post game? Because I just beat the game and don't remember a SINGLE fucking sidequest.
>4)I beat the game in 6 hours with one pokemon, barely rushing if at all.
So you played the game wrong? Did you also give that Pokemon a lucky egg, or what? You only have yourself to blame here.
>5) Can you name one song from the XY soundtrack? I sure as fuck can't.
Not really. I remember the music in the big ancient tower being really cool. Unfortunately I don't remember much in the way of music in most games lately, possibly because I'm getting older and care less about that kind of stuff.

> I really like the direction the series is going, if SM is an indicator.
There were a few big steps forward, but about a thousand little steps back. The worst being the fact that this game was basically just a big cut scene with quest markers. Are people really okay with this? I mean
>watch cut scene
>get objective
>go to marker on map
>see another cutscene
>get asked to battle, Pokemon healed automatically
>Win battle, another cutscene, new quest marker
>lather, rinse, repeat
This game couldn't get the fuck out of its own way. For all of the flaws in every other Pokemon game, at least they let me play them.
>>
>>30381872
I'd like to add that Lillie is ONLY a story character. She does nothing gameplay-wise. She's not an opponent. She's not an ally in battle. She's not related to any special feature. She's just a cutscene element. Yet she has more screentime than any other NPC in the game (possibly the whole series?)
And so it makes sense she completely disappears once the story is over
>>
File: 1480458220436.jpg (146KB, 1294x307px) Image search: [Google]
1480458220436.jpg
146KB, 1294x307px
>>30377692
>>
File: 1476922652437.jpg (64KB, 328x500px) Image search: [Google]
1476922652437.jpg
64KB, 328x500px
Sun is my favorite pokemon game yet

fight me
>>
>>30382009
>Because I just beat the game and don't remember a SINGLE fucking sidequest.
In the main game there's the desert. But yeah it's pretty shit. I remember even XY having more optional area in the main game.
>>
>>30377319
Black 2 was good but the story was still lacking and the starters were pure shit.
>>
>>30382051
I liked XY more
Fight me
>>
>>30377319
only pokemon game i couldn't finish

got bored after castelia, felt the exact same as BW once you leave the new areas.

starters are garbage and the selection wasn't that great.
>>
>>30382009
>I can argue the same for every other Pokemon game
No, you can argue they were forced, you can't argue that they weren't fleshed out or important.

>Again, true for pretty much every Pokemon game
SM's story made far more sense than XY. Can you actually explain how it was terrible?

>Are these sidequests in the post game
Are you actually retarded
>>
>>30377301

Now that the hype has died down, I think I still like BW the best, but SM came pretty close to it.

For me it's: BW>SM>>BW2>E>ORAS>>>FRLG>RS>Pt>>>RBY>XY>GS>>HGSS>>DP
>>
>>30378529
>extremely linear fashion

I'm so tired of this "OLDER GAMES WEREN'T LINEAR" meme. You still went the same fucking way every time and you could never really change the path. Kanto I think had 1 time where you could go down two different paths to the same place and that's it, it's always the same shit, you're just grasping at straws. Hell, most of the time for the islands you go around them or zip around them instead of just circling them through.
>>
>>30382125
>weren't fleshed out or important.
I'm sorry, if you think any of this shit was fleshed out or important, you need to read a fucking book and learn how actual stories are told. This fucking generation, I swear. I never believed it when my parents said video games were going to ruin us all.

>Can you actually explain how it was terrible?
First off, it was a story where your character has no motivation. You aren't the protagonist, you're just being dragged along for the sake of Lillie. This is a serious mistake right off the bat, because now you have no direct investment besides some shitty anime archetype character that the game tells you to care about. Then you proceed to get dragged through endless cut scenes where this character hogs all the screen time while you drown in their abysmal dialogue. Through it all, Hau is just fucking... there. Also a painful anime archetype, I might add. Then the worst offender comes along, emo blondie, and he basically becomes the protagonist of the game, the only one willing to get shit done, but the problem is that this should be YOU, the player. Unfortunately it isn't. You spend 75% of the plot just wandering aimlessly from quest marker to quest marker because the game tells you to, but then suddenly it turns out, with ZERO suspicion or build-up, that Aether is up to no good. There's a lazy-as-fuck plot dump involving the fractured family bullshit that I surmise I was supposed to care about. None of this is compelling, and the only reason you continue along the track is because the game forbids you to do anything else. It's awful, every step of the way.

I can't say that the plot for any other Pokemon game is any better, but they ARE less intrusive. In this game, the plot was in the forefront. It would NOT let me just play, and that pissed me off. When I have 20 minutes of free time to sit and play a game, and I spent 90% of it reading dialogue, you done fucked up, Game Freak.
>>
>>30382367
- branching paths
- optional areas
- sequence break
All exist in previous Pokemon games and are severly lacking in SM.

Plus, each routes/dungeons themselves are basically straight lines. Previous games were like labyrinth you'd lose yourself in while searching for items.
>>
>>30382385
>character has no motivation

Nigga, you go on the island trial. The plot happens to happen around you while you go around said island, and you hang around Lillie for like 80% of the game, so when she gets nabbed, of course you go after her. Don't tell me "durr i wouldn't", if you spent so much time with a girl and then she got kidnapped and you had the ability to save her, you'd go.
>>
>>30382447
Not him but the whole reason Lillie hangs with you is because the plot is setting it up so she gets kidnapped later and you have to rescue her. It has nothing to do with your own quest (The island trials) nor does Lillie serve a purpose outside her own story.
>>
>>30382548
Lillie hangs around you because you and her meet before going on the trial and she thinks going around with people she knows might help with getting Nebby home. Did you even pay attention?
>>
>>30382367
>OLDER GAMES WEREN'T LINEAR
They were linear, but in a different fashion. It might not sound like it, but there's a BIG difference between looking at a map and seeing the next place you can get to and going there for yourself vs. having the game put a fucking waypoint on the map after telling you to go there, and then greeting you at EVERY waypoint with a cutscene. Even if the overall path of progression is the same, there's no sense of accomplishment or discovery. when you know the game is going to keep taking the reins for you.

>>30382447
>if you spent so much time with a girl and then she got kidnapped and you had the ability to save her, you'd go.
Not if her characterization were as annoying and flimsy as it was in this game.
>you go on the island trial, The plot happens to happen around you while you go island to island
Do you not see how terrible this is? Your actual motivation for traveling is downplayed by a fucking generic anime drama plot. Having your objective overshadowed by a plot that has nothing to do with you is both a terrible way to design a game AND a story. They fucked up on both fronts.
>>
>>30382434
>Optional Areas
>Do not exist in SM

Boy how wrong you are.
>>
>>30382582
>heh nothin personnel kid, i wouldn't save someone...

Get this edge outta here, hothead.
>>
>>30382577
Just because there is a "reason" doesn't mean it's a good one. Maybe if she had an idea or specific clue or mystery to solve/follow, but instead, her motivation is "I have to wander around, so I may as well do it with you".

I'm honestly not surprised that people on a Pokemon board have no grasp of what constitutes good storytelling.
>>
>>30382633
She does have a specific mystery to solve: getting Nebby home. And she comes to the conclusion solving that mystery has better chances of coming true by exploring the islands instead of sitting on her ass at Kukui's. It's a legitimate reason to go traveling.
>>
>>30382619
Her problem, not mine. I'm trying to become the Pokemon Island Trial Master Champion.

>>30382677
>getting Nebby home
You still don't seem to grasp just how non-specific and lackluster of a motivation this is, especially when there is no inherent conflict in that objective, no specific terms or circumstances required to accomplish it, and it doesn't involve the main character AT ALL.
>>
>>30382577
>Lillie
>her
>she

>>30382677
>She
>she
>her

Do you not see what the fuck he's saying? You're proving his point with your own words. The entire story is about her motivations and her actions instead of you.
>>
>>30382613
I said "severly lacking". Don't put word in my mouths, I didn't say there aren't any. But compared to previous games, there's barely anything.
>>
>>30377374
Black & White and its sequels are loved by /vp/ and /vp/ only for two reasons: it has absolutely no Gen 1 pandering and the post-game is pretty extensive, thats it, thats the only two reasons as to why this place is filled with Unovabortions.
>>
>>30382075
But anon the starters are shit this gen too
>>
>>30377432
Who gives a shit about a Pokemon folliwing you? Thats just cosmetic bullshit. I'm still pissed they removed the Pokenav, now thats something worth coming back on every game.
>>
>>30381048
Oh look, another imbecile that doesn't know what a Mary Sue is.
>>
>>30382932
Yeah, I admit I used it wrong. It's just become a catch-all term for characters that a game/story wants me to think are cool or interesting but just plain aren't. Is there a specific term for that?
>>
>>30382958
Bad writing
>>
It's perfectly fine to not enjoy something. Everyone has different tastes
Just try not to sperg out
Thread posts: 125
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.