[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to hear /vp/'s opinion of this. Total: 68 Gen 1:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 3

I want to hear /vp/'s opinion of this.
Total: 68

Gen 1: 5
Gen 2: 6
Gen 3: 10
Gen 4: 12
Gen 5: 13
Gen 6: 6
Gen 7: 16

In other words, why is gen 6 so shitty?
>>
>>30357077
Are ultra beasts even legendaries?
>>
UBs and tapus aren't legends.
>>
>>30357104
Nope. They're Ultra Beasts.

>Gen 7: 8
>>
>>30357077
UBs arent legendary fampai
>>
UBs aren't legendaries (except Solgaleo,Lunala and maybe Guzzlord)
>>
>>30357137

Tapu's are this gen's "Trio" "Quartet"
>>
>>30357104
>>30357137
Tapu's definitely are legendaries, but i want to know your reasoning for how UB's aren't legendaries. what qualifies a legendary? I thought it was always just a one time encounter type of pokemon, besides rotom
>>
>>30357077
Tbqh I hate the over usage of legendaries

One of gen 6's strong points
>>
UB's are on the same status of legendaries as mid status legendaries like Heatran

They don't have huge stats but are mythical
>>
>>30357104
>>30357137
>>30357146
>>30357168
UBs and Tapus both count as "legendary" in this sense like the mythicals, such as Celebi, do.

They're functionally legendaries (as are Type:Null and Silvally, but those don't have any in-game lore surrounding them that would make them legendary)

So really, Gen 7 has more like 19 legendaries in function.
>>
>>30357195
You can find multiples of the same UB
>>
>>30357239
same with solgaleo/lunala. you can get another cosmog post game. plus I thought it was confirmed a legendary could have multiple of it roaming the world?
>>
>>30357293
Solgaleo/Lunala are an exception. They're in the box art just like legendaries have been for the last 5 games. They also form a trio with Necrozma (which isn't an UB)
>>
UB and tapu's aren't legendaries.Necrozma,Solgaleo,Lunala,Magearna and Marshadow are legendaries.
>>
We've got way too many already. They're supposed to be really rare and unique. It's not fun anymore.
>>
No, the Tapus ARE leggies. There's only one of each, and they have a mythical connection to the Pokeworld.

UBs are just the comMons of their dimension.
>>
I kinda get the reasoning behind UBs not being legendaries but why the fuck would tapus not be legendaries

-only one per game
-fully evolved pokemon that can't breed
-legendary catch rate
-found at the end of a secluded place, in a room entirely dedicated to them
-same BST as all the other trios (well, 10 points below, but whatever)
-have their own battle theme
-have a lore
-are called deities
-are involved in the main story
-share a common motif/pattern like all the other trios
>>
>>30357077
Gen 6 was shitty because half of its legendaries were just giveaways that didn't really contribute anything to the game. They're just prizes for showing up at your nearest retailer or connecting to the internet.
Legendaries are best when you have to actually catch them, that's half the fun.
>>
>>30357077
You missed Manaphy and Phione.
>>
>>30357345
>Guardian deities
>Not legendaries

UBs are just mons from a different dimension.

>>30357848
This, what I like about Gen I and Gen II is in order to obtain the legendaries, you need to explore and go find them, and there isn't much telling you about them.

Meanwhile later gens GIVE YOU the legendaries (another reason why ORAS was a piece of shit).
>Distributions
>Box legend being required to catch
>Raising the catch rates of legends
>>
>>30357077
legendary overload was a serious issue. Gen 6 was right to make fewer legendaries but make sure they had fantastic designs. Also had more non-legendary Pokemon than Sun and Moon with way better designs.

Gen 7 returned to gen4-level legendary fetishism and it feels very unnecessary.
>>
>>30358025
The only legendary whose catch rate was raised in ORAS is fug. And distributions always happened
>>
>>30357077
>>30357104
>>30357137
>>30357146
>>30357168
>>30357170
>>30357195
>>30357227
>>30357345
>>30357806
The ONLY thing that matters when it comes to if something is a legendary is how gamefreak categorizes them, and UBs, Tapus, Type: Null and they mythicals are legendaries.

Alola has 19 legendaries.
>>
>>30357077

it gets smaller if you only count legendary pokemon.
>>
UB's aren't legendaries

They aren't even considered special pokemon
>>
>>30357077
Gen 6 has few legends because of genwunners whining about how "back in the day being a legendarg Pokemon meant something" and show a picture showing the increasing number of legends across generations.
>>
>>30357077
>In other words, why is gen 6 so shitty?
But it was good about that, faggot. All the other games since Gen 3 are bloated with too many legendaries, they don't feel special at all anymore.
>>
considering you can catch up to 4 of some ultra beasts in-game i don't think they are legendaries...

type:null certainly isn't either. it's more akin to unown. however type:null's similarity to legendaries is by design. it's important that it blurs the line.
>>
>>30358686

>pretending that mewtwo isn't boring as all fuck

>implying that lack of variety is a good thing.

I bet you think the gen VII dex is too big you cockguzzling fucknugget.
>>
>>30358651
>>30358715
they're coded as sublegendaries in the game the way Heatran or the legendary birds are
>>
why are people against more legendaries? more legends = more viable pokemon
>>
>>30357077
But, anon, that's a GOOD quality of Gen VI. It cut against the growing trend to have way too many legendaries.
>>
>>30358833
>more legends = more viable pokemon
Or you could have those legends as regular pokemon instead so they're viable and can actually be bred
>>
>>30358873

no. too few isn't too many, but it's not the right number either.

the right number is in between. I'd say 8-12 is the good place to be.

2 box legends, their third, a trio, and a few mythicals. maybe a couple of others depending on lore.

Gen I and IV had too few. gen II was stretching it. gens IV and V overdid it.

Gens III and VII (if you don't count UBs) got it right.
>>
>>30357227
>as are Type:Null and Silvally
And there goes your whole post. Get the fuck outta town.
>>
The number of legendaries isn't important. What's relevant is the story behind them and the way you get them, that's what makes them special. This generation lots of them were just thrown at you. Any of it felt really special.
>>
>>30357077
Tapus, Sun, moon and the two Mew thingys at the end are legendaries. The 8 ultra beasts are ultra beasts. Ultra Beasts are no legendaries. Typ:Null and evolution are obviously no legends too.
>>
>>30358742
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4537Avfk6w
>>
>>30358559
The official site does not list the Tapus as Legendaries. They are not legendaries.
>>
>>30359147

Tapus, Solgaleo and Lunala have tons of lore.

Magearna and Marshadow don't count., 'cos mythicals

UBs aren't pokemon, and so do not count.
>>
>>30359147
The tapus have great lore behind them. Lion and moonbat have a good builtup too. The others are mostly ultra beasts, beings that are mostly unknown so there can't be much lore about them. You need to go out and catch them to know more, I think this game handled its legendaries pretty damn well.
>>
>>30359256

>posts anime, not in-game.

>doesn't address the fact that this doesn't change how dull and repetitive mewtwo feels.

way to miss the point there.
>>
>>30357077
Gen 5 still got it the worst, if you ask me. Not a single good looking mon in the bunch.

Gen 6 and 7 at least have well designed, non-Dragon cover legends.
>>
File: IMG_0992.jpg (518KB, 1770x1770px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0992.jpg
518KB, 1770x1770px
>Green background = Mythical
>Yellow background = Legendary

Type: Null and Sivally are Mythical,

Sun & Moon has 18 Legendaries/Mythicals total
>>
>>30359333

> Tapus

> Mythical.

holy shit fuckboi, fuck up harder.
>>
The cover legendaries are UBs, right?
>>
>>30359263
It doesn't list Magearna either, so is Magearna not a legendary?
>>
>>30359263
>official site vs official game
>>
>>30359333
>I don't know what a Mythical is

Fucking retard
>>
>>30357077
aren't cosmog and cosmoem legendaries too?
>>
>>30357195
being above or equal to 600 BST and being encountered during special events or in hidden areas where their overworld sprite is visible, along with being in limited quantities

slaking for example is above 600 BST but can be found in the wild through it's preevo, slakoth, therefore rendering it not a legendary since you can catch one in the grass and there are no limits as to how many you can catch in the game

most UBs (for those like me who consider Necrozma a UB) are below 600 BST and are in more than one quantity, therefore they aren't legendaries

the tapus are below 600 BST and debatable

cosmog is debatable since there are only two in the entire game, yet are below 600 BST

i forgot what silvally's stats are but i bet it's below 600 BST too, and there's only one in the game, therefore it's debatable
>>
>>30357077
if this is a "remember when legendaries were legendary" thread, fuck off.
thunder bird, ice bird, fire bird, angry clone and secret event mon, soooooooooo mythical
>>
>>30359266
UBs are Pokemon from another universe, idiot. Did you even play the game?
>>
>>30359899
That BST total thing is not an official quantifier
>>
>>30360012

Cats are just mammals from another family.

doesn't make 'em dogs.
>>
>>30359899
Then Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Raikou, Mesprit, Regice and many others arent legendaries?
Yeah, no
>>
>>30359333
no
green = secondary legendary
yellow = main legendary
>>
>>30359899
>the tapus are below 600 BST and debatable

You know what else is below 600 BST?

EVERY FREAKIN LEGENDARY TRIO SINCE GEN I
>>
UBs are listed after the Tapus and Cosmog's family and before Necrozma and the two Mythicals. In lore they're not legendaries due to being from Alien World, but in practice they are.
>>
File: 1474136927371s.jpg (12KB, 233x250px) Image search: [Google]
1474136927371s.jpg
12KB, 233x250px
>>
>>30358987

You realize Null and Silvally are under the sublegendary category in the games coding along with the legendary birds, beasts, regis, etc., right?
>>
I honestly don't how there can even be a debate about the 'legendary' classification. 'Ultra Beast' is just a classification like 'mythical' except it has actual in game meaning behind it instead of just being a dumb classification for 'Event Only Legendary'.

Type: Null is a legendary Porygon, in a sense.
>>
>>30357077
It isn't?
>>
>>30360192

Your post doesn't even make sense retard. You realize the game literally calls them Pokemon, right? And Solgaleo and Lunala aren't Pokemon either by your logic?
>>
>>30360269
These are all under 600 BST?
holy shit
>>
>>30361641
580 BST is the norm for minor legendaries. The Tapus are an anomally.
>>
>it's a "/vp/ pretends their completely arbitrary and inconsistent definition of a term that's never been officially defined is somehow more valid and correct than everyone else's" episode

At the end of the day, the definition of legendary is entirely up to Game Freak's discretion and we won't know for sure one way or the other until they confirm it. But at this point, given the lack of an official definition and the fact that the apparent criteria are constantly changing, it seems to me the only sensible way to define a "legendary" Pokémon is by the characteristics they all share, which at present has been narrowed down to a relatively high base stat total and an inability to reproduce. Every other characteristic shared by most legendaries is absent from at least one of them and is therefore no longer a valid criterion.

Silvally, the Tapus, and the Ultra Beasts meet both criteria. They cannot breed, and their BST, while lower than the current minimum among "sub-legendaries", is a mere 10 points short, which hardly seems enough to disqualify them (and it's still higher than Zygarde 10% at any rate). Even the game itself categorizes them with the 580 BST sub-legendaries, which seems as good an argument for their legendary status as any.

This gets tricky with Pokémon related to legendaries that don't quite meet the criteria. Type: Null's BST is fairly high but falls quite a bit short of 570 (still higher than Zygarde 10% though). Phione is even lower, and uniquely among the legendary relatives can breed more of itself. Cosmog and Cosmoem's BST's are well below anything that could reaonably qualify as legendary. Yet one could potentially make the case that they're all legendary by association, and the game seems to support this, with Type: Null being grouped with the sub-legendaries and the rest with the legendaries proper.

So until Game Freak says otherwise, they're all legendary. Now shut the fuck up.
>>
>>30363020
>Silvally
>Cannot breed
What? And people are still arguing about it being a normal Pokemon?
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.