[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we talk about how insane it is that a child becomes champion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: Elite_Four_PO.png (2MB, 1075x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Elite_Four_PO.png
2MB, 1075x1280px
Can we talk about how insane it is that a child becomes champion in every game?

Like, it's clear that the upper echelon of pokemon battling is occupied by adults. most gym leaders, and as far as I know every E4, is adults. in addition, most every champion, bar the MC and his rival, are adults.

yet in every game, nobody seems to call attention to how BALLS OUT FUCKING CRAZY it is that some 12 year old who just got his first pokemon like a few weeks ago is suddenly the strongest trainer in the region.

How? these people have been training their pokemon for decades, and have far more experience. how does the MC just suddenly surpass them?

Love for their pokemon? what, do the E4 not love their pokemon? are they all assholes? every major trainer has "a bond with their pokemon", it's not fucking special, Oak.

like holy fuck. can you imagine what it must be like to spend 20 years training yourself and your team, and making it to the highest level of the sport/profession...and then being surpassed by some kid who wasn't even a trainer last month?

I'd wanna fucking kill myself. Self-worth=evaporated.
>>
>>30353092
they tell you that in a pokemon battle age does not matter
>>
>not realizing that it's all for show, they all let you win because you're severely autistic and your mom set this whole journey up for you because she just wanted you to know what winning felt like, just once

Ever think about why the game is so linear, and certain people block certain paths for "no reason"? Yeah, the guard won't let you through because he's thirsty, right.
>>
You tend to get strong fast when you accidentally wind up single handedly saving the world from an evil organization bent on exploiting legendary Pokémon to their own end
>>
>>30353119
Age doesn't matter, but experience should
>>
>>30353119

which is horseshit, because that would mean things like intellect, experience, and actually training your pokemon would not matter
>>
File: 1477633985765.jpg (96KB, 606x423px) Image search: [Google]
1477633985765.jpg
96KB, 606x423px
>>30353092
It's all a work. just like how you don't replace gym leaders once you beat them, the Elite 4 and the championship is meant to be won by challengers skilled enough to do so and that's it. The pokemon league is staffed by skilled trainers/employees to test the battling skills of challengers.
>>
Why the fuck was Harry Potter the chosen one when it's clear the upper level of wizards are occupied by adults. He spends the entire series just btfo adults its like come on he's just a kid this story is bonkers.
>>
>>30353309

Still doesn't explain the times when you dethrone another champion(who is also an adult)

and even if that was the case, it's absurd that a child could even get to that level. it's made clear that only the top class of trainer even makes it to victory road, much less beats the E4

even if the MC is not actually beating the E4 at their best, it's still a fucking 12 year old standing at the peak of the sport.
>>
>>30353364
I know this is sarcasm, but still a shit example.

Destiny is a thing in HP. Harry was destined to do what he did, no actual person chose him for it.

It also did not involve Harry himself becoming the best wizard ever. he is above average for his age at best.
>>
I always imagined Pokemon training was legitimately difficult in context to the actual Pokemon world, and the main character was like a super progidy.
>>
>>30353092
That's why I like Sun and Moons trials a bit more. They are a coming of age journey for children to get out into the real world. And the creation of the Pokemon League was a cool twist.
>>
>>30353412
This is exactly how it is

Thats why you fight against little kids and preschoolers on the early routes and against professional fighters, veterans etc. in the victory road

Your character is just a the second coming of christ in terms of pokemon skills
>>
>>30353092
Red, Green, Ethan, Lyra, Silver, Brendan, May, Wally, Lucas, Dawn, Barry, Hilbert, Hilda, Cheren, Bianca, Nate, Rosa, Hugh, Calem, Serena, Sana, Trevor, Tierno, Elio and Hau are child prodigies, that's all.
It's really simple.
>>
well, the MC and rival are prodigy's, every other trainer specializes in a specific type or only has 2-3 pokemon cause raising a bunch of radically different pokemon is supposed to be very difficult in the pokemon universe
>>
File: 1471780371717.jpg (281KB, 575x700px) Image search: [Google]
1471780371717.jpg
281KB, 575x700px
>>30353092
For the same reason than your parent let you win against them when you were a child.
Because you don't rekt a kid. You let him win and pet him on the head and telling him "Well played, you're very good."
>>
File: malasada.jpg (137KB, 813x659px) Image search: [Google]
malasada.jpg
137KB, 813x659px
>>30353366
I want to say that Blue becoming champion in Red/Blue was a contrivance because 1) who got pushed?, and 2) I imagine that it's not as simple as sitting in the throne, you have to be selected among other candidates who are also champions. If not, then at least a training period for the job/role you take.

The league is staffed by both adults and children, both in gyms and E4. Ace trainers appear to be teens or kids like the MC and if you think about it, should just be other trainers like you who beat the gyms, not a separate class. Yeah, that bug-catcher, scientist, lass, and biker were all on a journey too. I can see what you mean about it starting to get ridiculous with the veteran trainers but at that point it's suspension of disbelief.

Iris ran a gym in B/W and became the champion after she challenged the E4 and presumably Alder. She was skilled enough to be a gym leader, likely helping her appointment to Champion as a pokemon league employee. Pokemon battle skill doesn't factor in age, it's all your pokemon's doing. You'll have to suspend your disbelief to accept that 10-12 year olds IV, EV trained, and bred their pokemon, leveled them up and know enough about coverage moves, set-ups, stalls, etc to get through Victory road and the league.
>>
>>30353092
Can't you just be satisfied thinking that you are a genius? There are teens champions or gym leaders too.
>>
>>30353162
Deepest lore
>>
>>30353092
It's stated in game that trial captains have to give up their position by the age of 20, with only the kahunas being able to serve longer terms. Most of the trainers you find in game are younger than that too.

In universe training pokemon is by and large a young person's trade. Most trainers must give it up before they even reach their mid twenties. Trainers that gain a (presumably paid) position can go longer, but for almost everyone else they settle down and just stop.

So it can be reasoned pretty easily that most people who are training pokemon at a high level are still really young, so it's not weird that one becomes the champion in every game. Statistically it makes sense.
>>
>>30353092
>Like, it's clear that the upper echelon of pokemon battling is occupied by adults. most gym leaders, and as far as I know every E4, is adults. in addition, most every champion, bar the MC and his rival, are adults.

Gym leaders aren't supposed to go all out on trainers. Gyms are little more than a test for would be trainers.
Ever notice how Gym leaders only ever have one fully evolved Pokemon, if any at all, then have a full team of them when they participate in tournaments?

The E4 is also designed as a test, just a more extreme test. That's why they're all monotype trainers.

Only the Champion is a legitimate hurdle. That's how the league is designed.

And, barring Alder (Who was a shell of his former self when Hilbert/Hilda beat him) and Lance (Forces into it when Red bailed), every Champion we see is in their mid-20's or younger. Iris may have been younger than the protagonist.

Also, Hilda/Hilbert, Nate/Rosa, and Calem/Serena are all in their mid to late teens. Probably the age Cynthia, Diantha, and Steven were when they became Champions.
>>
>>30353937
Yes, it's implied that age is seen as progressing quicker in the Pokemon universe. For example, sending a 10 year old kid out to journey the country where super-powered creatures and thugs run rampant sounds insane, but you could assume 10 is considered adulthood in the Pokemon world.
Professor Oak is a grandfather by the time he's only 37 years old in canon, and yet he's implied to be one of the oldest people you meet in Kanto, saying he can't complete the Pokedex because he's too old at age 47 to do so.
Other regions have visibly older residents, like Drake, Mr. Briney, Spenser etc but they probably are all under 60.
>>
>>30353937

no more young then real life athletics.

the average trainer is in their 20's or so, going by who you meet in your journey. lasses and youths are actually a minority.

this mirrors real life sports, where your 20's is the prime in most cases. old enough to have built up experience and training, and still in the physical prime of your life.

of course, pokemon has no upper age limit, because the trainer doesn't need to get physical. BUT, their pokemon do. for pokemon, training is a physical combat sport.

which is where age comes in. a 30 year old trainer will have been training their team for 10+ years.

it is very odd that a kid who only just started training is somehow able to close such a huge basic strength gap so quickly, regardless of talent.

years of professional grade training and experience cannot just be erased because "lol talent"
>>
>>30354080

In which canon? because he doesn't look like any 37 year old I've ever seen.
>>
>>30353404
I think they were going for a fighting fate causes it moral; the prophecy was vague enough that two kids could have fit it, and Voldemort deciding to attack Harry is what turned him into the child of destiny.
>>
>>30354185
It's stated in Gen IV that he's 50. Making him 47 in Gen I/III, and if Blue is 10, he'd have to be 37 when Blue was born.
>>
>>30354080
>Professor Oak is a grandfather by the time he's only 37 years old in canon, and yet he's implied to be one of the oldest people you meet in Kanto, saying he can't complete the Pokedex because he's too old at age 47
Bullshit, post proof.
>>
>>30354115
>which is where age comes in. a 30 year old trainer will have been training their team for 10+ years

Maybe this is why so many ghost type trainers are elderly. Their Pokemon don't get worn out and tired.
>>
>>30354221

Red and Blue are 11 in gen I/III.
>>
>>30353092
>most gym leaders
Gym leaders are more meant to train trainers, like teach them about type match ups. They clearly hold back on you depending on how many badges you have.

Look at the Kanto gym leaders during HGSS who use much better Pokemon.

>and then being surpassed by some kid who wasn't even a trainer last month?
Going by Norman's Pokenavi entry the path to each town and city is much longer then we see in game, as it takes him around 30 minutes to get from home to his gym everyday, so the journey is likely longer then that.

Your character has to also deal with enough things during their journey, from battling evil teams to saving the world that their skill level would go up a lot higher then normal trainers anyway.
>>
>>30353544
>green
>>
>>30353092
>Can we talk about
>>>/t/umblr/
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.