[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Were Z moves just another useless gimmick? Are there any competitive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

File: p03_01.jpg (42KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
p03_01.jpg
42KB, 400x240px
Were Z moves just another useless gimmick?

Are there any competitive sets that actually benefit from a Z Crystal?
>>
>>30293735
Z-Conversion
>>
Z-Conversion is supposed to be great, isn't it?
>>
Great way to start a Moxie rush.
>>
Z-Conversion is the one getting the most competitive use, and Z-Memento on Pyukumuku is also viable

everything else is pretty bad because it's not worth losing the item slot for a one off move/one off stat boost that goes away when you switch
>>
Persian-Alola @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Parting Shot
- Fake Out
- Snarl
- Taunt
>>
>>30293735
Some people use them to lure checks, like Heatran using Zgrass move with Solar Beam to kill water types
>>
>>30293735
Yea, they should have stayed with megas or even better done megas and made the z-stones work like synchro evolution an alternative to megas so pokemon that don't mega can practically be on that level.
>>
>>30293894
>not timid with foul play

explain yourself
>>
>>30293755
>>30293765
>Porygon-Z is the best Z user
It's like poetry, it rhymes.
>>
>>30293735
How's Azumarill w/ Belly Drum and a Z-Crystal?
>>
>>30293966
Is this some kind of challenge, to only use each punctuation mark once per sentence?
>>
>I liked Pokémon before Megas and Z moves

Pokémon didn't need mega evolutions or limit breakers, it need to balance all the shitmons so online teams end up more varied
>>
>>30293735
In VGC offensive z-moves are basically buffed gems, in other words they're good and unpredictable (except for Gyarados', literally every Gyarados I met carries the stone).

Z-Status moves are a big meme instead, at least still in VGC. Z-Conversion Porygon here quickly turned into a plain Eviolite Porygon 2
>>
>>30294005
Best case scenario you come out with 50% HP
Best case scenario with Sitrus Berry: You come out with 75% HP

so it's worthless
>>
I wish they focused on Megas.
Mega evo was fun.
Z-Move is just kinda there
>>
>>30294085
sorry, I thought that using Belly Drum with a Normalium Z restores health when used. Or at least that's what I read on Serebii
>>
Z-Parting Shot is pretty nice
>>
>>30294142
It does
And then Belly Drum halves it
>>
>>30293735
They can be usefull when you want a monstrous, hard hitting move. Think of them as like the Gem, only that they have animations. It can also come in handy with weak coverage moves, bringing them to a more respectable powerf.

Z-status I have no idea. I know Conversion is a thing, but in rest not much. Are there any pokemon that run Z-status effectively ?
>>
>>30294165
Ah, I get it now. Thanks.
>>
>>30294038
Right now fucking torkoal, pelipper, muk, persian, marowak, LILLIGANT etc are ruling the meta and making UBs that aren't called Celesteela their bitches in vgc
>>
>people actually wanted overpowered shit like Megas again
>>
>>30294128
Z moves are better imo. Mega evolutions are only available for specific pokemon while every mon has a z move
>>
>>30294128
I completely disagree, I think megas are horrible for the metagame, way too centralizing and the obvious power gap between them made teams too samey

Z Crystals are optional and offer opportunities for unexpected slick plays, Megas are mandatory and only a dozen or so are really viable
>>
File: ss (2016-11-27 at 03.29.58).png (286KB, 446x364px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-11-27 at 03.29.58).png
286KB, 446x364px
Much like Z-Conversion Porygon-Z, once bank comes around Z-Celebrate Espeon will be very good. +1 to all stats, STAB Stored Power, and access to Baton Pass, all while having Magic Bounce. All this on top of 110 speed and decent special bulk will make it a serious threat IMO
>>
Is Z-Splash usable?
>>
Z-Destiny Bond is the shit.
>>
File: Incredibles-syndrome.jpg (124KB, 795x455px) Image search: [Google]
Incredibles-syndrome.jpg
124KB, 795x455px
>>30294209
when everyone's OP, no one will be
>>
>>30294142

Z-Belly Drum heals you to 100% and then applies Belly Drum's effects, so you can always get it off vs. Sitrus Berry which can be triggered early/Knocked Off. If everything goes perfectly, Sitrus leaves you at 75% while Z leaves you at 50%, but I could see it being useful if you're down to Azumarill and there's something that can do > 70% but can't quite OHKO you, and you can kill them back with a +6 Aqua Jet.
>>
>>30294173

I've seen Z Splash, Parting shot, and Hypnosis used one some very niche sets.

For the most part it's just pokemon would used to use gems using Z stones now.....they're barely affecting the game at all.
>>
>>30294282
not really, Lopunny might be able to make some use of it with Baton Pass in the lower tiers, Gyarados would be a decent user if it had Aqua Jet
>>
>>30294282
not really because you're spending a moveslot and an item slot that gets fucked if your opponent sends in a hard counter even at +3. Lopunny would rather go mega and Gyarados/Tsareena are slow and get easily revenge killed.
>>
>>30294282
It's probably very niche viable on Tsareena and Gyarados. Maybe Poliwrath but he's pretty starved for move slots.
>>
>>30294282

I've seen a few people using it on Solgaleo...
>>
What's Z-swords dance do? I was thinking of running it on Garchomp.
>>
>>30294311
You know, that's kinda why Z-moves are flawed in the first place. Say offensive Z-moves were actually useful and common in the metagame. Who would you rather give your Z-Crystal to, a Garchomp or an Altariia?

I remember when the interview with Ohmori came out and he said Z-moves gave weak pokemon a chance to shine, I thought "that's just dumb, if everyone gets the same powerup then I'll use the powerup on the pokemon that's already powerful"

It makes shitmons you like the design of more usable in the main game I guess
>>
Could people please explain what the various Z moves do thanks. Like wtf does Z Splash do
>>
>>30294729
Resets stats modification. Not very useful unless you've spammed Superpower/Close Combat up until then, but that's a stretch
>>
>>30294794
http://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/zmoves.shtml

Z-Splash raises the attack by three stages
>>
>>30294794
Look them up on Serebi, it has all the Z-status effects. As for Splash, its boosts yout Atk by +3.
>>
>>30294794
Google sure is fucking difficult, isn't it?
>>
>>30293812
It is when you're taking down a major threat.
Especially when its used by a Pokemon that doesn't mind not having an item as much as others.
>>
>>30294282
No.

Swords Dance+Life Orb outdamages the +3 boost, and doesn't have the disadvantage of being a risky one use gamble.

The only user of Splash that doesn't have SD that would actually be decent is Gyarados, and it has access to Dragon Dance on the side anyway, which is better due to it's lower speed. +1 and LO comes close to the power, and has the benefit of raising speed.
>>
>>30293735
I thought the point was to have something gimmicky the kids would love but wouldn't be worth using competitively
>>
>>30295028
>Swords Dance+Life Orb outdamages the +3 boost

It does?

+3 252 Atk Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 286-337 (70.7 - 83.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 298-351 (73.7 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Well shit, not by much but it's true. Then yeah, it's not that useful
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.