[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Gen IV the pinnacle of competitive battles? >no team preview

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: azelf.png (689KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
azelf.png
689KB, 1280x1280px
Was Gen IV the pinnacle of competitive battles?
>no team preview bs, you never knew what to expect
>dedicate leads were fun
>UU and even some NU were perfectly viable in OU, I used to have lots of fun with stuff like DST Clamperl and level 1 Clefables
>three starters in OU: Swampert, Infernape and Empoleon
>the meta wasn't so offensive with stuff like 170Atk Kyurem-B and overpowered mega mons, making defensive strategies viable
>teams had variety instead of the genies hell we've been living in the past two gens
>ghost rotoms made all of them viable instead of just one in OU, drowning every other forms to lower tiers and creating a Flying-type aberration with levitate
>lake guardians were qt af
And a lot of stuff I forgot about. Gen IV was pure fun.
>>
It's pretty much agreed that pre-Platinum Gen 4 was the most balanced the series has ever been (and probably ever will be since GameFreak loves power creep inducing gimmicks like Mega Evolution and Z Moves).
>>
>>30225154
>no team preview bs, you never knew what to expect

Yes you did

Suicide Stealth Rock lead
Garchomp
Garchomp Counter
Garchomp Counter
Garchomp Counter
Garchomp Counter Counter
>>
File: 375.jpg (50KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
375.jpg
50KB, 512x512px
Smog WC semifinalist here

Gen IV was really fucking good but at the top level everything was stall. I hope to never play vs that retarded obistall team ever again.

Also,

>skarmbliss

Gen VI was the best, personally. Megas were really good for the competitive scene and added a lot of diversity to teams.I held #1 for about a week on Showdown with an M-Lop/SDpass Celebi core which was fun as fuck.
>>
>>30225427
There was a fuckton of possible leads. My favorite was Machamp, personally, and it didn't even had SR to begin with. I still could list quite a few useful leads without SR

Also Garchomp was banned to Ubers
>>
>>30225485
Infernape obliterated Skarmbliss

Also it isn't even OU in general, UU was pretty fun too
>>
>>30225555

garchomp was OU for a long time friend

Also nice quads
>>
>>30225651

Anybody remotely good wouldn't run an Infernape outside of their lead slot because >muh hazard damage

Unless it ran grass knot which very few ever did you could just switch spd hippo into it and fuck his shit up. Don't get me wrong mixape was a fun set but it was way too frail and there were better wallbreakers (mixmence, garchomp etc)
>>
>>30225769
both mence and garchomp were punished to ubers tho
>>
>>30225846
Only after they got outrage (or was it DM?)
>>
>>30225846

Both were OU for a long time

Mixmence with hydro was fun (outrage/fire blast/eq/filler was the best set though)
>>
>>30225769
It still was a very good late-game cleaner, especially with SR in field.
>>
>>30226010

Not disputing that and it was entirely viable on OU teams apart from at the very top, his movepool was fucking crazy.

With hindsight I kinda wish I experimented with other tiers, I've only ever played OU since I got into competitive back in gen 3. Never really get to experience the tiers with a much more diverse pool of meta pokemon because I was super autistic when it came to laddering in OU
>>
File: 79.47.png (11KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
79.47.png
11KB, 240x240px
>>30225485
>Gen VI was the best, personally
>>
>>30226426

Whilst the games were ass, megas were a good addition to competitive play.

M-Sable a shit though
>>
File: 1449265849604.jpg (101KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1449265849604.jpg
101KB, 900x1200px
>>30226494
>megas were a good addition to competitive play.
>>
File: tumblr_mb3rpqoqn71r8l831.jpg (55KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mb3rpqoqn71r8l831.jpg
55KB, 500x400px
>>30226550

>muh mega boogeyman

Not liking them =/= them being good for competitive

Nice greentext though that sure showed me
>>
File: 1479538310396.jpg (97KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1479538310396.jpg
97KB, 960x720px
>>30226767
>megas were a good addiction to competitive play
>at least four or five of them quickbanned on first day
>a new megaite stone suspected every day
>mega fug making history as the first mon to be banned from fucking ubers
>"megas were a good addition to competitive play"
>>
>>30227471

>four or five quickbanned on first day
>new stone suspected every day

Literally neither point is true

Mega Ray also has no bearing on any of this because it wasn't part of the metagame. Here's your (You) though.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.