[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't get it. Hasn't the games have always been pic-related

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: ZurPy6S[1].png (2KB, 732x134px) Image search: [Google]
ZurPy6S[1].png
2KB, 732x134px
I don't get it. Hasn't the games have always been pic-related type of linear? Were people expecting SM to throw a curve ball and suddenly become open world or something?

I thought there was an adequate amount of small side paths to explore past the mandatory 2 hour tutorial. Heck, the rotomdex labeling where I was supposed to go help cause then I knew I should just explore every area that *isn't* that part of the map.
>>
Anons will tell you otherwise; but you're right
>>
>>30159381
They've always been linear
People are just mad that the game implies it more instead of having you to come to the conclusion that it is.
>>
>>30159381
>I don't get it. Hasn't the games have always been pic-related type of linear?

No. Play a gen 1 or gen 2 game.
>>
>>30159381
THIS
Objective markers are useful because you know where NOT to go before exploring everything else.
Anyone who thinks it makes the game too easy has to be a fucking moron
>>
>>30159472
Literally the same level of exploration
>>
>>30159472
>Gen 1
>You can fight Koga or Sabrina in interchangeable order but as a result of needing to be a standardized level one of those gym leaders becomes very easy
>No other real nonlinearity present

wow
>>
The games were always "mostly" linear. The areas are just smaller and more straight forward in this gen. The objective marker has nothing to do with it, but rotomdex is annoying and I would give up my minimap to make it shut up.
>>
File: 1459603505126.png (59KB, 402x417px) Image search: [Google]
1459603505126.png
59KB, 402x417px
>>30159381
No they werent. You could do gyms out of order in Johto, Kanto and Sinnoh.

And the amount of new areas that open up is small compared to other games. Like, I go to Heahea City and only half of it is made avaliable to explore, despite it already not being very large.

The story stops are a lot closer together in this game, and the smaller region doesnt help

I liked the games, but it is much more railroaded than the rest.
>>
>>30159498
Not really. Damn near every different path in SM that doesn't lead to the glowing quest marker is literally gated off. In Kanto the direction you decide to go can actually be meaningful in the order of which badges you get.
>>
>>30159472
>I've never played a non-linear game
>>
>>30159381
It's even more linear than past games. At least in the past you could explore a cave or at least move 10 feet away from the last cutscene area.

During SM you cannot move 10 steps without an NPC stopping you and telling you to go back and routes are basically a railroad with and occasional lead off path that returns back to the main path within a 10 second time span.
>>
>>30159564
Id rather have increasingly difficult challenges instead of gyms being the same level with no challenge just so I can go to one before the other if I wanted
>>
>>30159631
Ideally Gyms would scale in level with how many badges you have
>>
>>30159628
I literally explored two different routes and even did a sidequest in Ula'Ula when the objective was to go to the library.
>>
>>30159695
So would the trainers too. But levels aren't the only factor in difficulty. There's items and moves too. So you'd at least have to have 8 custom sets for every single trainer in the reason. And I'd guarantee that'd drop in the quality of difficulty. And all for a shitty sense of choice.
>>
>>30159771
>every single trainer in the reason.
>reason
region*.
>>
I don't mind the linearity that much but that fucking guy on a stoutland that doesn't let you pass even though you could easily walk by it was fucking bullshit
>>
>>30159859
There have been way more bullshit roadblocks in the series.
>>
>>30159888
Yes there have. That doen't make it any less bullshit.
>>
>>30159628
Any time I backtrack to a previous area, I'm always surprised by how much I missed the first time. There are a fuckton of easy to miss side paths.
>>
>>30159381
It really isn't. It's more of a straight line.
>>
>>30159557
>do the gyms out of order
>go back and blow the shit out of the gyms you skipped because of overlevlled

Next you'll be telling me Gen3 was nonlinear because you could skip Brawley
>>
>>30159381
The thing is SM barely felt like an adventure, which was what people expected
I'm still mad we didn't get one volcano dungeon in a region that's supposed to be based on Hawaii
>>
>>30159709
>the final island indicative of the whole game

>>30159859
This is the most bullshit because it's a guy blocking off the middle of a town. It's not even by the edge. He's just there in the centre of town telling people they cant walk by him

>>30160129
This never happened, unless you were grinding like mad. I am playing HGSS literally right now and after going out of order, I ended up being the same level as Pryce in the end and had a normal battle. And yes, I preferred that experience to not being able to walk entirely down a street.

SM was fine but the linearity was not
>>
File: 145773856353.png (22KB, 275x200px) Image search: [Google]
145773856353.png
22KB, 275x200px
>>30160196
>>the final island indicative of the whole game
I'm just sayin the statement isn't completely true.
>>
>>30160264
Oh, well then yeah. You are right about it not being completely true
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.