[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The first 2+ hours of the game is "walk 15 steps and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 8

File: 15425435667.png (26KB, 725x155px) Image search: [Google]
15425435667.png
26KB, 725x155px
>The first 2+ hours of the game is "walk 15 steps and talk to people"
>region is linear as fuck
>double battles run like shit even without 3D
>Most new Pokemon are slow as fuck
>Can't even rematch regular trainers, something ORAS got right
>Protagonist has the same smiley face throughout the game, regardless of the situation (not counting cutscenes).

Why did Shofu lie to us?
>>
He's right though, they are.
>>
Aren't all Pokémon games linear for the most part? I think the other games were more subtle about it since they could just block your path with an HM.

Don't know why stout land needs to take up that entire road but then again there was that one fossil guy in the earlier games.
>>
He ain't wrong.
>>
>>30149958
He's not though. Don't get me wrong, I liked them, but they sure as shit aren't the best.
>>
>>30149884
>opinion
>lying
Fuck off retard
>>
>>30149958
>>30150033
Hi Shofu! When are you gonna stream some more Smash 4 bro?
>>
>>30149884
>first 2 hours
confirmed shitposter
>>
>>30150051
"I-It was just my opinion guys! Please don't unsub!"

Too late Shofu, you lost all of our trust.
>>
>>30150004
Not really. In Gen 3, you could skip Brawly and Winona's gyms until you're about to challenge the Pokemon League, although they did stop this in ORAS.
>>
>>30150137

Um, no, you couldn't. You needed four badges to fight Norman and you need to beat Norman to get Surf and get to Winona. There's no way you can skip Brawly
>>
>>30149884
>Most new Pokemon are slow as fuck
Yeah that's clearly a valid reason why the games are bad.
>>
>Implying anyone cares about some porch monkeys opinion
>>
>>30150137
>>30150004
also in kanto you can take on the gyms in basically any order you want after rock runnel

in johto it opens up after whitney and kanto is almost completely open until a sidequest is done

i think the best way to understand linearity complaints is to try nuzlocking a game and see how limiting something like bw2 are compared to the older games
>>
>>30150137
>if I sequence break the game by doing something I'm not supposed to, that makes the game non-linear
Are you fucking high right now?
>>
>>30150185
Yes you can. Beating Brawly only gives you the ability to use flash which isn't a mandatory HM. All you need to do in Dewford is deliver the letter to Steven.
>>
>>30150224
>Sequence break
You literally just don't go to the gym.
>>
Pokemon community always is like

"THESE ARE THE BEST GAME EVAH" in the first few weeks

We'll see people's REAL opinions next year
>>
Even based Joey knows they're not the best, further proof Joey is superior to Shofu
>>
It's better than XY™
>>
>>30150282
No you idiot
Norman refuses to challenge you without Brawly's badge
>>
>>30150137
Actually you need 4 gym badges to fight Norman, so you can skip Brawly up until you want to fight Norman. Winona however can be skipped until the Pokemon League.
>>
>>30150360
And Norman is also the fifth Gym Leader you fight, AKA NOT THE ONE AFTER Brawly, meaning you can skip Brawly. Get that through shithead.
>>
>>30150004
You can avoid some gyms in gens 1-3 but it's largely irrelevant since everything in those games is easy anyway.
>>
>>30150137
and what is the appeal of this? fighting an underleved gym later way after you were supposed to? a false sense of freedom?
>>
>>30150349
I don't even know about that to be honest.
>>
>>30150394
No, the appeal is that if you don't feel comfortable fighting Brawly or Winona at the time, you can explore a little farther, gain some levels, and then go back.
>>
it feels like modern pokemon games are made to playthrough once and get the exact same experience as everyone else then never to be touched again
>>
>>30150436
LMAO what happened to "Pokémon games are too easy!!!!"
>>
>>30150327
I don't even think it'll be that long. It only took people about a month to turn on XY. Let's be real here, if it wasn't for Lillie and Sun and Moon's story, more people would already be shitting all over these games.
>>
>>30150137
>>30150207
>>30150282
>>30150387
Kanto and Johto are the only ones where you can skip and/or fight gym leaders out of order. Skipping Brawly dosnt make it any less linear. The reason its possible in Gen 1 and 2 is because they were limited by the Gameboy.
>>
>>30149884
BW thread?
>>
>>30150470
LMAO what happened to "/vp isn't one person!!!!"
>>
>>30150503
No they aren't. It's a fact that you do not have to fight Brawly 2nd or Winona 6th.
>>
File: Cvuv5r2WcAAXMkV.png (314KB, 658x608px) Image search: [Google]
Cvuv5r2WcAAXMkV.png
314KB, 658x608px
>this guy is smashing Lillie's tight pussy right now
>>
>>30150491
It wasnt this fast. The hype was at least untill bank
>>
File: cool crock.png (319KB, 744x566px) Image search: [Google]
cool crock.png
319KB, 744x566px
>>30149884
No matter what, I will not take anyone seriously if they call this the best or worst pokemon games, as it hasnt even been out a month.

Many games had much different opinions at launch vs now, with people calling XY the best and now calling it a 5/10 at best

The awe involved in playing for the first time will wear off and the flaws/strengths will show themselves more clearly on repeat playings, and people will judge more accurately
>>
>>30149884
You just described 80% of all Pokemon games
>>
>>30151096
what you have to consider is that the initial hype behind games at launch is a big reason why people claim they're the "best ones yet" for the first few months, so while we're in the first few months of SuMo and people are already calling them trash that should tell you something about how bad they really are
>>
>>30150387
>still have to go back and fight him later and at his point you are overleveled
At that point you might as well consider SM nonlinear because you don't have to fight the captains right away, you can just come back later to do it.
>>
>>30151128
Why do you call SM SuMo? Do you call BW BlWh or DiPe?
>>
>>30151198
idk man that's just what i've seen other people call them
>>
>>30151128
>SuMo

Do you say ReBlYe
GoSiCr
RuSaEm
DiPePlat
BaWhBaTwoWhTwo
>>
>>30150412
OH MY FUCKING GOD! WHEN WILL THIS MEME DIE?
XY are terrible compared to SM. Are you fucking blind or something?? You probably are if you can't even see the obvious shit. They could even be assed to give the fat kid a team with a full moveset. That game is utter shit.
>>
>>30151198
Because it gets literal autists butt hurt over something that has no relevance, and anyone who wastes time bitching about it DESERVES to have that time wasted. Also it just sounds better IMO.
>>
>>30151280
I love SunMoo as well. It's such an epic troll. That's what you sound like
>>
>>30149884
>up to 7 gens
>emerald and platinum are STILL the only 2 good games
why is this allowed?
>>
File: 1479106679855.gif (2MB, 268x260px) Image search: [Google]
1479106679855.gif
2MB, 268x260px
>>30149884
You retards are finding any reasons to hate a game that isn't BW/2, aren't you ? This board sure went downhill after XY.
>>
>>30149884
>>The first 2+ hours of the game is "walk 15 steps and talk to people"
Yeah, the first 1/12 of the game.
>>
double battles have a barely noticeable drop in FPS, I had to really watch each animation to notice it
it only got fucked during the totem battles
>>
>>30151251
ExWy
>>
r/sapphire/e
>>
File: 1479268064421.jpg (621KB, 1000x1414px) Image search: [Google]
1479268064421.jpg
621KB, 1000x1414px
-Pokemon Pager is one of the best new features ever
-The game is incredibly well polished with tons of quality of life improvements (like not needing to have a pokemon in your party to trade it to an NPC or being able to add a caught pokemon directly to your party even when you have six)
-The pokemon designs overall are good, the human designs are probably the best in any game
-Poke Praise/whatever its called is better implemented than in X/Y
-Affection system is the best it's ever been

but

-Incredibly linear
-Too many cutscenes
-Non-skippable tutorials
-Too many items at thrown at the player for free just throughout the story
-Too many pokecenters clustered near eachother
>>
>>30150394
The appeal is in doing things in the order you want. It gives a greater degree of freedom in terms of how you progress through the game. It's the kind of appeal that makes the original Legend of Zelda captivating.
>>
>>30151128
>the initial hype behind games at launch is a big reason why people claim they're the "best ones yet" for the first few months
Same could be said about people claiming "worst ones yet." They get so hyped out about how great the game will be that every little flaw is seen as being much more detrimental than it really is.
>>
>>30151947
the only people blowing the quantity of cutscenes in Sun/M out of proportion are gamefreak my dude
>>
>>30150491
How is it possible to be this much of a sour puss
Have you ever considered the fact that you just don't like Pokemon games ?sun and moon is one of the best by far
>>
how is it possible to hate the cutscenes? Fuckin smogon babies
>>
>>30152134
they're oppressively intrusive, i just want to play my video game
>>
>>30152134
I like them but there's too fucking many
>>
>>30149884
Sun and Moon are still some of the best games in spite of these problems (which are problems, I totally agree)
>>
Aside from the cutscenes, which are a bit much and are somewhat frustrating when I just want to get on with my game, I am having fun with it. To me, that's what matters.
>>
>>30149884
Hes our shofu.
>>
>>30149884
>The first 2+ hours of the game is "walk 15 steps and talk to people"
>first 2 hours

First three islands, more like. I haven't made it to the fourth yet, but I'm sincerely hoping this stops.
>>
>>30151739
>I think the polish is seen in some ways but the lack of it is clear in others.

Like, Stoutland Search looks cool, but has you going more slowly than eny other EXP Share ever, and when running you dont get any kind of indication you're near something.

Good call on the Pokemon Centres.
>>
The region is only linear in the sense that you have to go to towns in a certain order. There are a fuckton of optional caves and pathways that are easy to miss if you're just running to the next flag on the map.
>>
Best:
HGSS

Decent:
Emerald
FRLG
Sun/Moon
BW2

Horrid:
XY
DP (Platinum tried fixing, but too little too late)
>>
>Look on twitter and virtually every other website
>Everyone loves the games, even calling it GOTY

>Look on 4chan
>FUCKING CUTSCENES NO GYMS 4/10 I MISS GEN 5
>>
Why does gen 4 get so much praise? It was super clunky and slow with the battling and the text
>>
>>30149884
Cry some more faggot.
>>
>>30152438
I think the only itemfinder that's faster was the gen 4 version that literally told you the exact square that the item was on. I found Stoutland Search to be the most convenient version of it, since you didn't need to run around mashing A trying to figure out where the damn item was.
>>
>>30152562
They came out 10 years ago, the people that played it when they were 8 are old enough to post here now.
>>
>>30152562
And, of all the regions, it tried to be Gen 1/2 the most (until XY came along).

And the routes and caves were just frustrating rather than challenging, with their ridiculous tunnels/paths.
>>
>>30152134
>Hey, you beat the Kahuna! Let's talk about it for 15 minutes!
>Oh you should go to the place so the guy can take you to the other place with cutscenes and talking that will take another 30 minutes!
>>
>>30152562
Always thought it was the weakest gen by far
Slow as fuck
worst pokedex
no fire types other than ponyta
all those cross gen evos filling up the dex
>>
>>30149884
>>The first 2+ hours of the game is "walk 15 steps and talk to people"
>what is storytelling?
>>
>>30152648
That always bugged me how they were all trade evos (with the exception of porygon z, its gets an excuse because porygon 2)
>>
>>30149884
Pretty much every single game after gen 3 was linear as fuck.
Except this time they actually developt a story and characters instead of just punching you with a bland as shit storyline (X/Y was so much worse than this game while being just as linear).
>>
>>30152681
They basically want Pokemon Showdown with Sun/Moon graphics.
>>
>>30152562
platinum has the best content of any pokemon game to date with a solid, challenging campaign and good post game as well as good music, balance, pokemon selection, side content etc

people acknowledge that slowness and stuff but still like the games

>>30152824
i want to explore stuff for myself and walk 5 minutes without being interrupted
>>
File: WEBPAGE_20161105_124807.jpg (42KB, 641x476px) Image search: [Google]
WEBPAGE_20161105_124807.jpg
42KB, 641x476px
>>30152513
This is the reason why you should never listen to the faggots this board contains. It's almost like it's the mirror verse of the community.
>>
>>30152681
Story telling is walking into a gym and choosing to read the "gym victors" notice at the front and seeing your rival's name on the list and feeling like you're always one step behind. It's battling silver in gsc and seeing his golbat has evolved through happiness, informing you about his character progression.

There is absolutely nothing about storytelling that says you have to be overbearing with your story and absolutely nothing in sumo's story that merits the sheer bloat of the cutscenes.

Modern pokemon games, with their emphasis on storytelling, are some of the most notable examples of bad storytelling in literally any story telling medium; the amount of content in the story has been increased slightly but the amount of exposition dedicated to it has been increased by an order of magnitude and is no longer optional in any way, crippling the pacing and replayability of the games to tell stories that honestly aren't worth telling.
>>
>>30153023
That first example isn't very good story telling when in every single encounter Blue feels the need to remind you that YOU'RE STILL BACK THERE? HA IM ALREADY DONE HERE MAN IM SO MUCH BETTER AND AHEAD OF YOU EVEN THOUGH I'VE LOST LIKE 10 FIGHTS AGAINST YOU IN A ROW
>>
>>30153139
it's good because it's a small, optional side detail which eloquently tells a part of the story, the actual story itself being a bit dumb doesn't discount that its told well
>>
The games are extremely good.

However the one thing that annoys me is the encounter rates. New pokemon are rare as fuck sometimes 1-5% encounter rate in an area. It's annoying as fuck to try to use new pokemon on a team when theyre not abundant.
>>
>>30153023
Storytelling is also the same sign telling you that the leader of the gym is Giovanni, when the guy standing next to the sign tells you that his identity is unknown.
>>
>>30150491
>if it wasn't for Lillie
It's really sad how easy it is to fool people into liking low quality works.

I haven't watched anime in ages due to this. Waifu bait, waifu bait everywhere.
>>
>>30153023
SM has way more "tiny details" though
>>
>>30153023
Gladion's Type: Null AND Golbat evolve when he learns to be happy/kind again.
>>
>>30149884
Only thing I dislike about SM is removal of hoards/ST (ST only for the Reset Bags really)

Otherwise these games are fantastic
>>
>>30150491
>if it wasn't for the story the game would be shit
Ok
>>
File: 1479528242322.png (1MB, 1587x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1479528242322.png
1MB, 1587x1600px
Damn near 30 hours in, just completed the second grand trial. Spent majority of that time finding preferred natures on the new pokemon, but they all pretty much have a 5% to 10% encounter rate. Looking for stufful right now, 2 hours in, only caught 3.
>>
>>30150491
>if it weren't for Lillie
Nigga wut.

I've seen some people say she's cute but most people dislike her amount of screentime. People like the games because they're fun, not because of lillie
>>
>>30151555
We don't need to find any reasons when Game Freak gives us plenty.

Any moron can see the drop in quality and content after gen 5, we don't even have stable FPS anymore.
>>
>>30153375
>be autistic
>talk about how autistic you are
>>
>>30152513
>normies who'll beat the E4 and never touch the game again are praising it

Geez, you don't say.
>>
>>30153023
Also, they failed the classic "show, don't tell" rule, which led to this large amount of pointless cutscenes.
>>
>>30149884
>Shofu
Literally who?
>>
Halfway through and enjoying it so far. I try not to take these games too seriously. They are simple and get way too hand-holdy but if you just relax and enjoy your time playing then it's fun.
The MC's face though... Smiling vacantly at everything. It's creepy.
>>
I've been playing it for 40+ hours and I haven't even reached the E4 yet, so I have to commend it for being this fucking LONG at least. I beat Platinum's E4 in about 8-10 hours.

And before someone says some shit about me trying to avoid the extremely linear plot, that's wrong. Pretty much any grinding I did took about five minutes (which i did a whole twice) and spent maybe half an hour on the Pokefinder stuff in hopes of getting a reward that isn't "YOU CAN ZOOM IN FURTHER NOW." It's still easy and linear, it's just really, really fucking long and has a pretty entertaining plot.
>>
>>30152562
It had an actual plot, which made the singleplayer at least semi-interesting for that.
>>
>>30153023
Storytelling is finding Guzma's childhood home and finding his room full of silver and bronze trophies and broken golf clubs.
>>
Most of what I like about SM is the fact they removed some of the tedium with minor things like the trading in party thing, which is nice

Not too much else really, it's decent, but not "one of the best", /vp/ said XY was one of the best too for about a month before turning on it, in 3 weeks they will consider this the worst game of the series because it is honestly worse than XY
>>
>>30151612
Are you playing on a New 3DS? The frame drops are really noticeable and persistent playing on my original 3DS.
>>
>>30156555
Same here, I can't even use the Tauros riding thing because of the lag, it's slower than running, not sure how bad any of the other Pokemon things are yet, but the lag isn't just battles either but routes and cities too
>>
>>30156623
Mine isn't quite that bad, I've only really noticed it in double battles (including SOS battles sometimes) and totem battles.
>>
>>30152134
It's 2016, almost 2017, and there's no skippable cutscenes. If you fuck up and have to backtrack, or if you want to soft reset for a shiny, or if you screwed up your name/character to start with, it's about 3-8 minutes out of your way.

I think the absolute worst offense, though, isn't any of the story cutscenes, but the credits. In XY, when you beat the champion, you were fastracked to an elevator where you IMMEDIATELY saved, and then you only had to watch the ending credits once so you could get the Az clear and the final cutscenes.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but SM makes you wait through the credits literally every time you go through the E4 and the Champion battle again. They're probably not as long since you don't have the story cutscenes, but still.
>>
>>30153023
Storytelling is looking into the Team Flare base and the castles and discovering that Lysandre has a legitimate claim to the throne, should it exist in Kalos. Storytelling is figuring out that Malva is the Holocaster host, meaning that Team Flare has had total media control the entire game.

See I can spout background fluff, too.
>>
>>30151256
Have you even seen the movesets of the Rock-type captain?

The Lycanrock has two moves.
>>
>>30151128
How fucking new can you be? There were thousands of threads calling XY/ORAS garbage the day they came out and continuing into today.
>>
>>30152579
Every Itemfinder Post Gen 3 gives you the exact location. And you can run with them.
>>
>>30152681
That's bad storytelling though. I dont need a cutscene just so Lillie can tell me good luck on my trial.
>>
>>30151096
But SuMo are the worst Pokemon games, anon.

>>30157928
>>30151947
Even XYORAS reception wasn't this bad.

>>30151128
>>30153223
Feels good to be redpilled and knowing just how horrid SuMo truly is.

>>30150491
>>30153435
You should check the waifu threads or Paheal sometime.
>>
>>30151588
So that makes it okay? It makes the pacing fucking awful, something that XY and even D/P to some extent both got shit on for.
>>
I honestly don't know if I like SM better than XY because they're actually better or that I didn't pay for them like I did for XY
>>
>>30151555
I guess it's a good thing I don't give a shit about B2W2 then.
>>
>>30156555
I'm playing it on New 3DS and the framerate drops were very noticeable. Also, there would occasionally be weird pauses in the battles when you select a move, kind of like in D/P but only occasionally in this game.
>>
I love these contrarian threads

If you hate the franchise just leave
>>
>>30157041
The credits didn't even play after the elite four besides the first time. At least for me. It just did the hall of fame, saved, and booted me back in front of the league entrance.
>>
>>30158726
(you) are trying to hard /v/.
>>
>>30158954
>A game I liked is being criticized
>better call the critics contrarians and not address any of their points

Furthermore, you aren't even right. OP isn't saying Shofu lied because he said Sun & Moon were good Pokemon games, he is saying he lied because he said Sun & Moon were the BEST Pokemon games, and I really don't think THAT is a majority opinion.
Thread posts: 121
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.