[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Have a Chinese-themed town just out of nowhere. >The Kahuna

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 5

File: 1467876898389.gif (21KB, 150x160px) Image search: [Google]
1467876898389.gif
21KB, 150x160px
>Have a Chinese-themed town just out of nowhere.
>The Kahuna based there isn't Chinese.
>She doesn't even DRESS Chinese, instead she's some kind of African tribal.
>Town has an unneeded cloths shop that doesn't even sell appropriate items.
>A fucking NPC points this out like that makes it any better.
The fuck is going on with this gen's theming? It's like they were too lazy to go anything but half way.
>>
>can't go inside the tower
>>
>>29924498
Good God you're acting stupid.
The game clearly states that the island had Johto settelers.
>>
>>29924536
Way to only address the first point.

The Kahuna being completely off theme for the island and the town, and the shitty clothes shop are also criticized.
>>
Game Freak has shorter development cycles, now. There isn't enough time to really flesh out tons of cool optional stuff (like exploring the tower).

The half-assed asthetic is just half-assed, though. You can tell that Olivia was designed as a Rock trainer (and slutty piece of ass) first and foremost. Her visual connection to her own island is tenuous at best.
>>
>>29924564
It's the only point that matters.
You think the town developed in a bubble? Place is a melting pot ya dingo.
>>
>>29924580
But the city where she lives in is where I got clothes to make me look like a slut.
>>
>>29924591
You mean the region. Not that you see a lot of Africans in Hawaii, but still, point is, the region may be billed as a melting pot, but the town has a specific theme that should at least remain consistent. If you want other themes involved they need to be mixed in, instead of sitting there and clashing with the rest of it like Olivia does.

It's also unrelated to the shitty clothes shop.
>>
>>29924611
She's not African. She's Samoan.
And the clothes shop is just a general clothes shop. No reason why it needs to be anything different.
>>
>>29924580
She doesn't even feel connected to it like Hala does. She's just some random tribal slut who lives in Chinatown and sells rocks.

>>29924603
Not even, you buy capris and fancy shirts there, plus the boring sports tanktops that are in every store.

>>29924632
>She's not African
She's black as night, anon. She's by far darker than any of the Polynesian NPCs.
>>
>>29924611
Does your town have a theme? Is everyone consistent to said theme?
>>
>>29924647
I'm not in a videogame, anon.

My town is a slum though and everything fits the theme of being broken down and shitty, including the people, so hey, it works.
>>
File: (You).gif (393KB, 493x342px) Image search: [Google]
(You).gif
393KB, 493x342px
>>29924498
>can't deal with diversity
>>
>>29924670
Is that the hot new buzzword to defend a lack of consistent theming and integration into your world?
>>
>>29924580
She's Kahuna on the island with the volcano and named after a common volcanic crystal in the region. She's a rock trainer, and she has crystals all over her design. She's dark and dresses like a slut, and Kiawe is dark and dresses like a slut. She comments that Kukui also dresses like a slut and is dark. She's lonely, single, and her house is full of stufful plushies.
>>
>>29924646
She's just tanner.
It doesn't even matter either way. There's nothing saying she had to be Chinese in the first place. So the town has old Johto architecture, that doesn't mean the whole caboodle is supposed to reflect that.
>>
>>29924683
>She's just tanner.
You could pull that if she wasn't darker than literally everyone except Kiawe. Hell Kiawe has a better argument since he lives in a volcano and not just on the island.

>There's nothing saying she had to be Chinese
No, but if she's not going to have anything to DO with the area around her and its theme, then she should have been somewhere else on the island.

You can make the argument that the whole island doesn't need one theme but when you make this area that's so inconsistent with the rest of it, her being inconsistent with it just makes things make even less sense.

>>29924682
Might work better if she actually lived near the volcano and not as far from it as you can get in a randomly ethnic town.
>>
>>29924647
Real life doesn't always abide by visual themes, it's true. But Pokémon is a fantasy. It's expected to be a work of art, however good/shitty it may be.

Pokémon worlds are more like Disneyland than Kyoto, Japan — even the town based on Kyoto. It's moreso a caricature of real-world ideas and places, rather than a representation of a believable world (like New York City in the Spiderman games for X-Box).
>>
>>29924682
She sounds like a pathetic human being desu.
>>
>>29924720
She could, I don't know, just live there. And what about the other eastern themed towns?
What is your fixation with this? It's a fantasy game so normal world rules shouldn't apply? What nonsense is that?
>>
>>29924780
>She could just live there!
What kind of game design is that? Just have an African tribal woman randomly living in the middle of chinatown randomly settled on a Hawaiian Island while having NOTHING to do with the people and culture around her? That's not even all that realistic, something would rub off on her if she lived among a bunch of Asian immigrants.

>What is your fixation with this?
It's the topic of the thread. Am I meant to talk about something else? And inconsistent and poorly realized themes are a mark of bad game design. That's the point.
>>
>>29924682
Okay, but none of that is in contradiction to what I said. She was designed as a slutty Rock trainer and has nothing but a tenuous link to her own island locations. I'll give you the volcano, but that's a natural landmark that was likely decided on early in development.

Things like the Japanese-themed town were likely designed by a seperate team from the human character designers, perhaps even at different stages in the game design. The POINT and IMPLICATION of this entire thread is that Olivia's design was not altered to fit her island's culture for any number of reasons: "slut waifu made their pepes hard" being the most likely scenario.

The tacky clothes shop looks tacked-on, but honestly that mirrors real life pretty well.
>>
>>29924805
>What kind of game design is that?
The kind that doesn't give a shit about race I guess? The islands are ultimately small communities. Over years the cultural differences would fade and no one would give a shit. I live in a Spanish style house in a Mexican town, but I'm Irish. It's not so unbelievable to not play into cultural segrigation. Especially in a slightly futuristic setting as the Pokemon games.
>>
File: HoennNews.png (24KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
HoennNews.png
24KB, 400x240px
>>
>>29924805
Bingo.
>>
>>29924860
>Race
Good thing I also complained that there was nothing Chinese about the way she dressed. You could have some random black chick dressed suitable for the area and as comical as it would be, it'd make more sense.

>Over years the cultural differences would fade
Ideally, this is achieved by cultural mixture and integration. Olivia isn't integrated at all with the people around her. Sticks out like a sore thumb.
>>
>>29924611
Hawaiian fag here, are you insinuating we all live near the beach or something? Cuz we have diverse areas here. Theme my ass
>>
>>29924887
Considering I was specifically talking about her Chinese-themed town? No, that's you looking to get offended. Nobody said anything about a beach.
>>
>>29924877
>Sticks out like a sore thumb.
Only because she's darker than everyone else.
And why don't you complain about Lana? She lives in the same town, her dress is different, and she has blue fucking hair. That's even more outlandish.
>>
I'm a waitfag who hasn't gotten his hands on the games yet, so may I ask if the town Olivia lives in is CURRENTLY filled with immigrants or the descendants thereof, or is it mostly just the building style and like half of the people aren't implied to be immigrants or the descendants thereof?

Also, purely on the subject of her being the Kahuna, I don't think the Tapus care for little things like a person matching the aesthetic of the town they live in. Lele was there before the immigrants and the town, I recon.
>>
>>29924906
No, because she's in fucking Chinatown and dresses like she's from Kenya. You think putting on a Qipong would set her on fire or something?

Hell when they wanted to shove an asian themed city into shitty XY they put the gym-leader in a kimono at the very least.

You just keep ignoring every other part of my argument to get butt bothered at me calling her black.
>>
>>29924895
You're going on about how people who live in certain areas need to be following a theme. That's the thing about Hawaii man. We have a Chinatown that have people from almost every race living in it. And do we bat an eye? No because it is normal here.
>>
>>29924923
She just dresses in her own style.
And again, what about Lana?
Hell, NO ONE in the town dresses traditionally Chinese.
>>
>>29924950
If you're making a videogame you need your characters to be consistent with the area, yes. Else you put them where they fit. You wouldn't shove Misty on top of a volcano, would you? Not that Kanto had strong design themes in the first place, but her town's associated with water at least.

>>29924959
Lana has the excuse of being presented to you in an area consistent with her theme, a bunch of steppe lakes and waterfalls next to the sea. She doesn't fit in her home town, true, but that's not where her trial is.
>>
>>29924950
I'd rather say that China Town is mostly Vietnamese right now, but technicalities.
>>29924923
She dresses more like a slut than a Kenyan in my opinion. Not sure where to draw the line, because in a pokemon game, that's rather unprecedented. Then again, nowadays such wear isn't uncommon. Also, for autisms sake.
>Johto town
>Chinese
Christ I sound like a faggot.
>>
>>29924906
Lana dresses like someone who lives by the sea. Besides the weird crown thing, she looks like an asian boy who's dressed to live near the water. Making her entirely blue is a bit cliché, but it gets the point across.
>>
>>29924975
Well now you're just being arbitrary.
Alola is based on Hawaii. Hawaii has a Chinatown. Hawaii as a whole is pretty diverse.

That's the theme. Modern Hawaii
>>
>>29924993
It's more the jewelry and accessories and such that gives her a tribal theme.

>Johto/Chinese
The place's style looked more Chinese than Japanese to me, but whatever. I don't remember the dialogue you guys do where it says it was founded by Johto-immigrants. Regardless it's not all that important to the theme.

>>29925011
No, I'm pointing out how Olivia doesn't fit into the area they inserted her. Unlike everyone else on her fucking island, by the way. They all generally fit their locale decently, Olivia is the one that clashes.
>>
>>29925020
>Unlike everyone else on her fucking island, by the way.
But no one else in that town dresses like they're "supposed to" either. Her location is the mountain you pass through to see her.
>>
>>29925038
Nobody else in her town is the fucking kahuna for it. And I was specifically referring to the trial captains. Kiawe lives in the volcano and has firey hair, Lana is blue and is dressed as a fisher and she hangs out at the lakes, Mallow has vines in her green hair and hangs out in the jungle. Olivia lives in an Asian town, which she clashes heavily with.
>>
>>29925051
>Nobody else in her town is the fucking kahuna for it.
So what? She looks like a rock trainer and she challenges you at an area surrounded by cliffs next to a cave. That's perfectly thematic.
And again, Lana lives in the same town.
>>
>>29925093
>So what?
Do you need to be walked through game design and how you design your bosses to fit the area they inhabit again? I didn't that that'd be all that challenging.

Her challenge is in a ruin beyond a cemetery dedicated to a psychic/fairy pokemon. Not really very fitting for her theme either.

Lana's home is there but she spends her time in a water-themed area that fits her. Again.
>>
>>29925140
>Lana's home is there but she spends her time in a water-themed area that fits her
And Olivia spent most of her time around the island, specifically the DIGLET CAVES.

And don't act like the bosses fitting the area thing is some sort of golden law. She fits just fine with the setting of Modern Hawaii.
>>
>>29925181
>specifically the DIGLET CAVES.
Oh? You mean that area she isn't fought in? Nothing about her trial involves that cave, stop thinking it's an excuse.

>Modern Hawaii
Is 1.6% black last I checked. Doesn't work as an excuse for her on its own.
>>
This is one of the most autistic threads I've read lately.
>>
>Johto = Chinese
>literally based on a jap prefecture
Kill everyone in this thread
>>
>>29925209
>Nothing about her trial involves that cave
Nothing about her trial involves that town.
>Is 1.6% black last I checked.
And she can't be a part of that statistic because?
>>
>>29925284
>Nothing about her trial involves that town.
If you want to focus on the ruin, I already pointed out how that one doesn't fit her at all either.

>She can't be part of that statistic?
Oh she can. But don't pretend being part of that tiny percentage instantly makes her a fitting symbol of modern Hawaii.
>>
>getting buttblasted because someone hates forced darkies
wew lad
Great thread.
>>
>>29924498
The themes are a complete fucking mess, yes.

I do like the clothes shops and customisation but there still isn't enough variety (and half of the hairstyles are shit).

>>29924580
They had three fucking years for these games. Shorter development cycles my ass.
>>
File: ass_levitation.jpg (56KB, 506x357px) Image search: [Google]
ass_levitation.jpg
56KB, 506x357px
>>29924670
>being a GameFreak apologist
>>
>>29925309
The ruin wasn't a part of her trial either.
Kahunas don't have trials. They just have the battles. She just asked to meet you at the Tapu cave entrance on the hill surrounded by cliffs. The grave site was just along the way.
>don't pretend being part of that tiny percentage instantly makes her a fitting symbol of modern Hawaii.
Then she's Samoan or super tan or something. Why do you give a shit?
>>
Pretty sure the town is supposed to represent Hong Kong so that's why it's the city of shops and a melting pot.
And olivia is in no way black, she looks more like tanned to the point of being near ganguro. The clothing style IMO is a weird attempt to make fun of high levels of prostitution in asian resort countries
>>
>>29925336
>Kahunas don't have trials.
>The battle against them is called the Grand Trial.
Did you even play the game?

>She's Samoan!
No, she's not. Again, nobody else approaches her amongst the named character list except Kiawe.

>Why do you give a shit?
Why is it the only part of my argument you care about?
>>
>>29925355
>The battle against them is called the Grand Trial.
But it's still just a battle
>No, she's not.
Then maybe she's just tan or happens to be black. It seriously doesn't matter. Black people from Hawaii can exist. I think the last 8 years have proven that to be true.
>Why is it the only part of my argument you care about?
Because it's the only one you're latching on to like it has any sort of significance.
>>
>>29925221
Mentioning Olivia seems to trigger this...regularly.
>>
>>29925401
She's got a very eager and very upset defense force.
>>
>>29925406
And a completely brain dead offense force.
>>
>>29925386
>But it's still just a battle
Yet they call it a Trial.

>Maybe she's tan
You don't tan that dark.

>It seriously doesn't matter.
Then why do you ignore the other ways I said she could blend into the theme?

>It's the only one you're latchign onto.
No, it's the only one you keep whining about. The fuck am I supposed to talk about if you won't stop whining about it? Do you know how conversation works?
>>
>>29925414
>Behead all those who shit talk my waifu
>>
>>29925406
Honestly, the autism seems to go both ways when she's the topic.
>>
>>29925421
>Yet they call it a Trial.
That's not even the point. The point was that the fairy/ghost ruins weren't part of her trial at all, because her trial is just her battle. And where she battles you makes sense for her type.
>You don't tan that dark.
Well I sure don't, but it might surprise you to find out that dark skinned people can tan darker.
>Then why do you ignore the other ways I said she could blend into the theme?
Because the theme is Hawaii and all its diverse nonsense. Yet you seem to zoom in on this one chick for arbitrary reasons.
>No, it's the only one you keep whining about.
You're the only one who insists she's black and therefore not a match for the setting for some reason.
>>
>>29925518
>That's not even the point.
You took it upon your self to complain about me calling it a trial. You made it a point.

>The ruins weren't part of her trial.
It's where you battle her during the story and thus the only area connected to her beyond the town.

>Where she battles you makes sense.
Nothing in there involves rock types.

>Because the theme is Hawaii and all its diverse nonsense.
Already pointed out that she's part of a minority so small this doesn't work as an excuse on its own. On its own. Notice how only you used her race to try and justify her place in the story whereas I suggested ways to integrate her despite it.

>You're the only one who insists she's black.
Anon, most people have come to terms with the fact that she is by now. Only the people who want to fuck the gross slutty rock-fu but are racist keep denying it.
>>
>>29925565
>Nothing in there involves rock types.
The cave? The rubble? The surrounding cliffs?
Her battle didn't take place in the graveyard.

>the only area connected to her beyond the town.
You meet her at the port and talk to her in the diglet caves.
>>
>>29925591
>Cave
Where she doesn't fight you.

>Cliffs
A good chunk of the entire region has inaccessible cliffs. That doesn't make it a rock-type area.

>You meet her at the port and talk to her in the caves.
So? That's like saying Kiawe is attached to the jungle because he shows up to give Mallow his Rare Bone.
>>
File: 054.jpg (23KB, 600x682px) Image search: [Google]
054.jpg
23KB, 600x682px
>>29924498
The funny thing is, they thought they could get away with it by having an NPC lampshading this, as if to say, "Yeah, even we realize how out of place it is, but we're intentionally doing this because that's the joke! Now, laugh." Instead of, you know, admitting that they're just trying to cut corners.
>>
>>29924508
Probably because in real life you cannot go into pagodas or places like the Kinkaku-ji. It's kinda boring since they broke that in gen 2 for the sake of exploration, but they stuck closer to the aesthetic of a zen garden so it's not surprising.

Though what the fuck was up with the design choice of adding gold clouds to stick off of it. I guess they wanted it to stand out but it looks shitty.
>>
>>29925615
Yeah, that NPC pisses me off. Mocking your problems doesn't make them okay.
>>
>>29925611
And a good chunk of the region is surrounded by water and grass. Whoop tee doo.
>>
>>29925638
Yet they still had the decency to put the water trainer in a lake and the grass trainer in a jungle.
>>
>>29925650
And a rock trainer with rocks near a cave.
Hell, Hala only had that little wooden stand for his fight.
>>
>>29925672
>Near a cave
Near is the best you can fucking do? She's not in the cave. The are you battle here is beyond another route. She's no closer to it than the out of place ranch town.

>Hala
He's in the traditional-ish Hawaiin village and he's the most traditional of the kahunas.
>>
>>29925672
>>29925723

it's a traditional wrestling ring. he does the sumo foot slap shit before you fight and he has fighting types
>>
>>29925723
>he's the most traditional of the kahunas.
He's a fucking sumo wrestler with a fighting based team. The only thing that matches his theme is that he's fat and the platform has a circle on it.

I've entertained your nonsense long enough. I'm going to bed.
>>
>>29925740
So the fat old Hawaiian man isn't a traditional kahuna? Come the fuck on here.

Also >>29925738 has a point.
>>
I liked reading your argument anons.
Sleep tight you sillies
>>
ITT:
>REEEEEE NIGGERS
>>
>What are melanisians
>>
>>29926493
I'd sooner believe Gamefreak would use a black girl over a people that mostly live in Malaysia and almost nowhere else outside of a few isolated islands where they shoot arrows at boats.
>>
>>29926358
We didn't do anything...I'm just watching this strange flame war desu
>>
>>29924498
shes the kahuna because shes the best trainer in the city

prove me wrong
>>
>>29926721
I thought being a kahuna was more about preserving native traditions.
>>
>>29926737
maybe its just because shes hot

its probably that
>>
>>29926746
Best reason to justify anything imo
>>
>>29926746
Apparently nobody in Alola considers her hot since she isn't married, has no children, doesn't have a boyfriend, maybe hasn't even fucked anything before, and keeps a bunch of dolls in her house that the game specifically calls out as being something for the pokemon equivalent of crazy cat ladies.
>>
Akala felt kind of boring overall.
>>
>>29924498
Thanks for the Totodile gif anon
>>
>>29924498
>Island settled by Johto natives
>Has Johto architecture
>Is plagued by Alolan culture

What's the problem?
>>
>>29927345
>Black chick
>Alolan
>>
>>29927356
>Alola is white

Whatever you say, Diego.
>>
>>29927387
Alola is Polynesian.
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.