[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does Gamefreak have this obsession with designing slow pokemon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4

File: dC2S59.png (79KB, 932x410px) Image search: [Google]
dC2S59.png
79KB, 932x410px
Why does Gamefreak have this obsession with designing slow pokemon that lack bulk to compensate? Vikavolt can't take a special hit for it's life. And it's low HP doesn't even make it's higher physical defense that useful as Stone Edge from a strong attacker would still put it to red. It should've gotten about 100 HP. As it would've been bulky enough to not die to anything. What gives?
>>
VGC is why. Compared to other gens mons, yes he sucks but within 2017 VGC ruleset, he could be viable since the selection of Alola-region mons are going to be slow as shit anyways.
>>
Because it's the shitty bug you get early in the game. Not every Pokemon is designed to be good competitively
>>
>145 special attack
>ok in almost everything else
>but muh speed waaaah
Why are Vikavoltfags such greedy bastards?
>>
>>29876569
I'd much rather it have 10 speed and less ATK so it could tank a hit.

Or a movepool that's not 90% physical.
>>
>>29876469
Where is that pic from? Website? App? Program? Link it
>>
>>29876469
>has 4x weakness to rock
>wants it to have better spdef stat instead of it's decent reg def stat

You just want this thing to get fucking rekt by every rockruff in VGC don't you?
>>
>>29876569
>Being slow and frail as shit
>Ever being good/acceptable
Vikavolt is no different from Rampardos.
>>29876625
http://pokengine.org/pok%C3%A9dex/Vikavolt_(Nintendo)
>>
Because it was clearly designed to be used with Trick Room.
>>
>>29876634
>4 weakness to rock
5/10 made me reply
>>
>>29876519
Grubbin might be early game, but Vikavolt is lategame.
>>
>>29876602
>>29876469
ya you're right all pokemon should be 140/140/140/140/140/140 with water/fairy typing and huge power with access to every physical move in the game dude
>>
Vikavolt is the next Onix in terms of jokes. Fun fact, this flying beetle is slower than Onix.
>>
>>29876693
This one can take a hit though, unlike Onix.
>>
>>29876679
I just want it to have either a decent movepool (It's based on a fucking SHMUP spaceship, why does it know no beams/Pulses?) or have bulk to complement its ass speed.

I'm tired of all the fucking slow bulky mixed attackers. They keep making mons with amazing designs but shit attacks/spread.
>>
>>29876679
a few shitmons here and there is fine, but not a whole gen
>>
>>29876469

So how should EVs go? Should I invest EVs in speed, or would that just be a waste? All hp/sp attac?
>>
>>29876639
You mean no different from Scizor?
>>
>>29876634
x4? wat
its only x2 rock and fire
>>
Hopefully you can breed Quiver Dance on it or something
>>
>>29876725
maybe you should just resort to old and speedy Pokemon who can hit hard, because you clearly like the straight and quick sweeping type of battles.
>>
>>29876779
Dude, different guy here but why are you being so difficult? He's asking for something to compensate for the lack of bulk AND speed.

Do you want something that hits hard that's never going to attack?
>>
>>29876469
Crabdominable is the worst offender of this.
>>
>>29876779
I'm fine that Vikavolt isn't speedy. Lots of pokemon aren't speedy.

But they normally have some form of bulk, coverage or recovery.

What the fuck am I supposed to run? Roost Vika that gets oneshot by a candle?
>>
>>29876775

learnset is already out, no quiver dance.

It's movepool consists of nothing but bug buzz/electric attack/substitute/and a weak coverage move that's not worth the slot, like flash cannon
>>
>>29876519
the games would be infinitely better if they all were
>>
>>29876779
and that's what you'll get if you use Vikavolt, a nice quick loss
>>
>>29876775
No Quiver Dance

Worthwhile moves are the following.
Flash Cannon
Energy Ball
Mud Shot
Hidden Power
Thunderbolt
Volt Switch
Roost
Bug Buzz
Electroweb
Substitute
Everything else is physical or garbage
>>
>>29876838
>>29876884
Damn, that's disappointing
>>
>>29876884

Doesn't even have great coverage. I'd rather die than resort to energy ball AGAIN just to fill a slot.

I just need to figure out which hidden power best fills out bug/electric
>>
>>29876736
Scizor was shit tier until it got Bullet Punch and Superpower. Now its one of the most reliable non-ledgendaries in the game.
>>
Don't worry, Vikavolt is gonna be fine.
Look how many new friends are waiting for it: http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/formats/pu/
>>
>>29876679
I agree with this. In game it doesn't make a difference anyway.
>>
>Tapu Keko, with the boost from STAB and Electric Terrain, hits harder on a TBolt than Vikavolt

jesus christ
>>
>>29876736
Scizor has a 90 BP STAB priority move, and a single weakness.
>>
>>29876929
Ice is a must as Gliscor and Landorus resists its STABs and nails Thunderus-T.
Bug/Electric/Ice is solid neutral coverage.
>>
>>29876930
So why do people have so much against Vikavolt, other than the speed stat not for being low but for being the total opposite of what was described, considering it's basically Special Scizor? What prevents it from getting more moves in a future game?

>>29876966
Still has no bulk and shit speed.
>>
File: 4NRL3GK.png (68KB, 696x380px) Image search: [Google]
4NRL3GK.png
68KB, 696x380px
>>29876469
What I want to know is why does Game Freak keep making Pokemon with unusable Physical/Special movepools but wastes base stats in Atk/SpA anyways. Ain't no one going to be be using physical Vikavolt.
>>
>>29876843
Because Talonflame was so healthy for any metas.
>>
How hard does a Z-Move Zap Cannon on electric terrain hit?
Trying to work out if Vikavolt could see use as a tactical nuke.
>>
>>29876996
>no bulk
It has just enough
>shit speed
Who cares? It has Bullet Punch.
>>
>>29877017
Talonflame did counter a lot of setup fuckery.
>>
>>29877032
Things that resist bullet punch care.
>>
To be honest while Vikavolt doesn't have stellar bulk, it does have enough that it can take advantage of its resistances, which include Steel, Electric, Fighting and Grass, as well as an immunity to Ground.
>>
people should remember the guy who used Pachirisu in the VGC final. Instead of moaning about his stats, maybe you should think of a way to make him useful. Certainly not as a sweeper, certainly not for utility, but with the right set-up he might be a great switch in.
I myself see his use limited, but it could work in doubles. Tapu Lele for setting up, first partner to set Trick-Room or Toxic spikes.
But I'm not thinking seriously. I can't imagine that there is absolutely no way to not use Vikavolt.
>>
>>29876469
>Take 30 points from Attack and move them to Spd
>Use Agility
There, I fixed it.
>>
>>29877032
>It has just enough
Not it doesn't. Less HP than Vikavolt, defenses are just 10 and 5 superior.

>it has Bullet Punch.
Because everything is weak to Steel.
>>
I think I'd rather use Charjabug in a Trick-Room team because of his ability "Battery" to charge up partner's Special Attack.
>>
>>29876779
I love slow pokémon, my teams are usually focused on defense.
The pronlem with Vikavolt is that he doesn't have the defense, hp or movepool to complement and compensate his slow speed. It is an attacker that will almost never get the chance to attack.
Even if you consider Trick Room and Speed Swap, he's still lackluster compared to many other Alola Dex Pokémon.
>>
File: 1472094724458.png (325KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1472094724458.png
325KB, 1024x1024px
>>29876960
>95 base special attack won't make it OU!
>252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Arceus: 187-220 (49 - 57.7%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO
>252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Arceus in Electric Terrain: 199-235 (52.2 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Nice to see those faggots get BTFO
>>
Vikavolt's stat spread and moveset make it useless. I like how people are trying to defend this with "greedy" and "all Pokemon can't be good".
>>
With a +Spe Nature, after using Agility it outspeeds any nonboosted +Spe Pokemon with 135 base Spe or less. Its naturally high SpA paired with Life Orb, and a combination of Tbolt/Bug Buzz/HP Ice means it hits mostly everything for neutral damage. While its bulk isn't impressive, it's high enough to take most priority attacks without dying. Fast Scarfers shit on it still, but that's to be expected.
He'll probably be good in UU at least.
>>
Would a Vikavolt with access to more moves (Shadow Ball, Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Scald, Moonblast, Dark Pulse) be good, despite the middling bulk and dudenospeed?
>>
Vikavolt is going to be great in VGC17!

Vikavolt w/ (Assault Vest)
Levitate
Modest, 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Discharge/Thunderbolt, Bug Buzz, Hidden Power (Ice), Electro Web/Volt Switch

Offensively it's like Heatran. But you don't have to worry as much about 1HKOs!
Also add it as a Wallbreaker in a TR team. Doubles only of course.
>>
File: 609Chandelure.png (124KB, 431x431px) Image search: [Google]
609Chandelure.png
124KB, 431x431px
>A Lamp is faster and is as a strong as a spaceship bug
>>
>>29877266
dies to talonflame lmao
>>
>>29877302
and Talonflame dies to Accelerock on Lycanroc. There you have your counter.
>>
>>29876519
>500 BST
>"a shitty bug you get early in the game"

It's got a higher BST than Golem, Slowbro, Ferrothorn, Reuniclus, Mega Sableye, Mega Mawile, Mega Beedrill and tons of others. It's barely 'supposed to be' a shitty early-game mon. If it was they would've given it a BST of around 400.
>>
>>29877302
Lol, Talonflame needs to start any team to be useful with Gale Wings and it's not a Wall, so running Vikavolt later in your team will keep it probably safe.
>>
>>29876469
link of the page?
>>
>>29876996
Because things have changed. In gen 4, Vikavolt might work. Scizor was decent even before Platinum because Steel resisted a billion things and it had just enough speed to run a Scarf set and either Pursuit trap things or U-Turn. It could also boost with SD. In gen 6, even Scizor is falling off and relies on its Mega to be a top tier threat.
>>
Vikavolt will be good in UU or RU.
In VGC it may have a role in Trick Rook teams.
That's what realistically can do, so just find a set for it in the right meta, where it's not outclassed, and it'll be fine
>>
>>29877056

like, any water pokemon?
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.