[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lets talk Grass/Ghost 'mons Who do you think will be the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: 1634102354620.png (218KB, 800x468px) Image search: [Google]
1634102354620.png
218KB, 800x468px
Lets talk Grass/Ghost 'mons

Who do you think will be the superior choice? Both have good qualities to them as well as some hindrances

>Decidueye
+Can go either Physical, Special, or Mixed
+Spirit Shackle lets it trap its opponent while also getting a 180 BP Z-Move variant
+Has access to both Swords Dance and Nasty Plot
+Baton Pass, Defog, U-turn, Synthesis, Sucker Punch, and Roost give it great utility
+/- Long Reach prevents Iron Barb/Rough Skin/Rocky Helmet users from punishing Physical variants of Decidueye, though it is a very situational ability
-78/75/100 defensed is very subpar for a Pokemon who's weaknesses are 5 of the most common attacking types in the metagame.
-While better than Dhelmise's Speed, 70 base Speed is in no way amazing itself and will have to rely on Speed IV investment and Speed positive natures, limiting its offensive prowess. -Choice items and Assault Vest prevent the use of utility moves

>Dhelmise
+Gets a damage boost for Steel type attacks
+Unlike Spirit Shackle, Anchor Shot is capable of trapping Normal types, plus gets a boost from Steelworker
+Access to Rock Slide for any Flying, Fire, or Ice Pokemon trying to switch in on it
+Has access to Rapid Spin and can pressure any Ghost types trying to switch in on a Spin
-7/8 of its Grass STABs are Special coming off a base 86 SpAtk with Power Whip having 85% accuracy
-Ghost STAB is also lacking physically with Shadow Claw being its most reliable attack
-Steel type attacks don't synergize well with Grass and Ghost type attacks on an offensive Pokemon
-Steelworker is useless without a Steel type attack
-Giga Drain is its most reliable form of recovery
-40 base Speed means it will almost always go last

I'm probably missing a few points, but feel free to point them out
>>
>>29791080
>Decidueye fucked by stats, Dhelmise fucked by move pool

wow
>>
>>29791080
I wish Decidueye had its special attack switched with its HP or defense.
>>
>>29791154
This gen and the last gen both had horrible stat and movepool distribution. Masuda and Ohmori are fucking losing it.
>>
>>29791593
Fucking shit balancing on these mons. Vikavolt has fucking 43 speed.
>>
>>29791696
How the fuck is a jet beetle slow? It doesnt make any sense.
>>
>>29791917
I always had the impression he would be slow because of the animation and having levitate but 40 was some overkill.
>>
>>29791080
They are both perfect. Competitivefags can go suck some M-Dicks.
>>
After seeing the anchor in action it is one of my favorites this gen but i cant use it cuz im using Decidueye. Ghost type has the best pokemon this gen IMO.
>>
>>29791080
I'm not 100% about the overall viability between the 2 honestly, but I'v been thinking more about Decidueye competitively more. With its 70 base speed, and having access to the moves it has, with
>Spirit Shackle
>Toxic or Baton Pass
>Substitute
>Roost/Synthesis or Haze
This thing can be Stall's worst nightmare.
>It can trap anything that isn't Sableye, Chansey/Blissey, or Porygon 2
>Set up Substitute to avoid being poisoned (and still outspeeds Chansey so no worries about being poisoned)
>Can potentially pass both a Sub and a Trap to any Pokemon on the team
Or
>Toxic stall almost every stallmon, and reset Sub when needed
>Roost/Synthesis if you're impatient with left overs or low somehow
Or
>Reset the stats of Pokemon like Sableye and Suicune with Haze
>Also has an immunity to Spore, Leech Seed, and can escape Shadow Tag/Arena Trap without the need of a move
WTF is he doing this fucking monster? Can Dhelmise do something similar without the fear of Toxic stall?
>>
>4 Grass/Ghost mons
>all of them physical

Why?
>>
>>29793581
Decidueye can at least be special and has considerably the best Physical Ghost move in the entire game.
>>
>>29792437
It also has access to ghost type curse.
>>
>>29793581
>>29794140
Too bad it doesn't have access to Giga Drain yet. Hopefully the next games' move tutors let it learn it.
>>
File: decidueye_zmove.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
decidueye_zmove.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
I would love to swap Decidueye's Sp.Attack and Speed. Such a waste.

As it is, it has a surprisingly varied movepool with some good utility. It can boost, it can recover, it can pass, it can trap, and it even gets a fancy Z-Move based off signature STAB that is stronger than all previous physical options in its base form. Agility would've been nice, and a less situational ability would've gone a long way, but Decidueye might just manage to carve itself some kind of niche. Maybe in UU as anti-stall. I do think that it is better off then Dhelmise, Trevenant, and Gourgeist, at least. It just has more tools.

Too early to say for sure, but I'm curious.
>>
>>29794414
I wish.
Also, has anyone found if it gets Leech Seed? I can't find it. It would absolutely suck if it didn't and would be the only grass starter to not get it.
>>
>>29794140
>Dhelmise
+it's low speed can be abused with steelworker gyro ball
>>
>>29794543
No Leech Seed in its learnset.
>>
Decidueye has a impressive movepool, so i think it will be really good in RU or maybe it will be UU material. It has sub par stats, but they are manageable unlike the other starters. Dhelmise has one of the worst movepools ever barring rapid spin, and the typing is really bad for a tanky mon as we saw last gen.
>>
>>29794625
Well like in the OP, Steel has very little use in tandem with Grass and Ghost. If you decide to take advantage of Steelworker, you run the risk of 4MSS and getting walled pretty hard and/or losing support moves. A Fighting type attack to not get walled by Normal and Dark types with Grass resistance would be much more preferable.

Speaking of Fighting type, Decidueye gets access to Low Sweep, which definitely helps its Speed problem while Dhelmise only gets Brick Break.
>>
None, both are going to be shit in VGC

>playing non-official formats
Wake the fuck up scrubs
>>
>>29791593
Gen 5 was also fucked.
>>
>>29795170
>The "it's not official in Gamefreak's book so doesn't matter at all" meme.
>>
>>29795145
Grass/Ghost/Steel stab is resisted only by the Houndoom, Bisharp, and Pyroar lines
>>
>>29795522
Well first of all Grass/Ghost/Fighting is completely unresisted.
Second, Bisharp is a huge problem for Dhelmise carrying a Steel type attack. Without a fighting move, Bisharp will get a free switch in. Dhelmise absolutely does not want to stay in so Bisharp will go for the free Sword Dance as Dhelmise switches out.
>>
>>29795752
Unless there's a Normal/Ghost pokemon I don't know about Ghost/Fighting alone is completely unresisted, just saying.
>>
>>29795805
Types resisted by Grass/Ghost

Normal/Fire: Weak to Fighting
Normal/Grass: Weak to Fighting
Normal/Flying: Neutral to Fighting
Fire/Dark: Weak to Fighting
Grass/Dark: Weak to Fighting
Poison/Dark: Neutral to Fighting
Flying/Dark: Neutral to Fighting
Dragon/Dark: Weak to Fighting
>>
>anchor is grass/ghost
Why
>>
>>29796019
The Pokemon is the kelp.
>>
>>29795752
252 atk Adamant Dhelmise ohkos Bisharp with earthquake 100% of the time with a layer of spikes, doesn't need a fighting move to kill on the switch
>>
>>29791080
I win again
>>
>>29796019
It's the ghost of dead seaweed using ship parts to attack. Seriously.
>>
>>29792437
You forgot about probably his BIGGEST boon.

He can TrapPass Swords Dance and Nasty Plot.

So on his first turn, he can trap the opponent as they switch or stay in, and decide whether to stat up or just straight switch to a counter, while the opponent can't do anything about it.

OR, he can just scare them first turn into switching into something that can stay trapped, while he gets a free boost, which can then be BP'd to whatever the fuck they want.

OR he can just run with the fucking boost he's using, since he has useable attack stats after a +2 boost.

ON TOP of everything else you said.

Basically, he's going to be an absolute monster to try to straight up counter.

UU bare minimum.
>>
>>29796320
>spikes
That aside, the point of that post is that carrying a Steel type move just for the sake of having something to use with Steelworker isn't all that beneficial for Dhelmise. Fighting was just an example for what kind of coverage it could use instead so that it could potentially use SD or Rapid Spin as its 4th move
>>
shackle/u-turn/defog/feather dance or roost

it has enough bulk to take a hit or two but you probably want to shackle + u-turn repeatedly to pressure your opponent
>>
>>29797567
Unfortunately, Feather Dance is just worse Reflect.

What he REALLY wants is Tickle, so that he can U-Turn to a pursuit user.
>>
>>29796462
>good ability
>mediocre stats
>mediocre movepool
if only
>>
>>29796508
ah yes
the old seaweed spirit legend...
>>
the slow argument is getting really really boring. Guys, do your research. In the whole Alolan dex the speed of Decidueye is fairly good and Dhelmise, while being fairly slow gets a different use. Do any of you just know fast sweepers? Never tried anything else in your Pokemon lives?
I get that due to VGC 16, probably a lot of people have no experience with setting up or the weather terrains, but why does everybody behave like a fucking conservative idiot when something new comes out?
Embrace the change of the meta and develop strategies to make your Pokemon work. Some dude even made his Pachirisu work, so get over yourselves.
>>
>>29798206
Basically this.

+ there is a function to limit battles to Alola region Pokemon only, so no one has to worry about Groudon or Bisharp if you want to battle in an environment solely relying on the new ideas of GF.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.