[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

We didn't have any gimmick gameplay mechanics from gen1

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1478300220505.jpg (13KB, 480x262px) Image search: [Google]
1478300220505.jpg
13KB, 480x262px
We didn't have any gimmick gameplay mechanics from gen1 to gen5. Why suddenly pull out 3 in the span of 3 years? What made Gamefreak do this?
>>
>The type chart, catching pokemon
>Dark / Steel type added, weather, happiness, shinies
>Doubles, Abilities
>slow
>Hidden abilities, triple battles, poke walker, pokemon following you{yellow, i know},
>>
>>29690263
It feels like they think they HAVE to introduce some new battle mechanic each gen.
So in gen II we had the Special split, in gen III the introduction of abilities and doubles, in gen IV the special/physical split, and in gen V the hidden abilities. After gen V it seems like they couldn't come up with any "subtle" changes and they had to rely on flashy gimmicks. Which is gonna get overwhelming in a few generations if they keep it up.
>>
>>29690390
Why did you lump Gen 5 and HGSS together?
>>
>>29690390
All of these are extremely broad changes that affect every single pokémon. And in the cases of new types and the physical/special split they allow a greater variety in designs and roles. What does Mega Evolution acomplish in it's current state?
>>
>>29690452
Power creep negation for high profile pokemon and also Alteria
>>
>>29690452
It makes your favorite Pokemon not shit.
>>
>>29690452
I mean it did change the meta a little. Not as radically as say the introduction of abilities, but it did give some pokemon a second chance. It's Z-Moves that I think will be barely used at all. I don't think new gimmicks are needed, but if they HAVE to introduce them I want them to at least impact the meta in some way
>>
>>29690426
>base
>expanded stats, hold items
>abilities, new battle mode
>expanded move formula, online
>hidden abilities, new battle modes
>temporary changes to evolved mons, new battle modes
>temporary and permanent changes to various mons, special attack mechanic, different battle modes
I don't see a problem
>>
>>29690508
None of my favorite mons got mega. Megas affect a very small amount of pokemon and, for the most part, there are a ton of pokemon that didn't need the buff. If they wanted to make certain pokemon "not shit" there are a million things they could have done instead of resorting to megas.
>>
>>29690662
Oh I see, so this was just a "let's shit on megas" thread in disguise all along. My mistake
>>
>>29690263
>double battles
Even if they are the primary meta now, they WERE a gimmick. Also
>held items
>abilities
>inb4 "those are not gimmicks because I like those!!!"
>>
>>29690662
Maybe you need better taste in Pokémon then
>>
>>29690263
>rotation battles
>not a gimmick
>weather
>not a gimmick
>held items
>not a gimmick
>an RPG where EVERY ENEMY YOU FIGHT CAN BE RECRUITED!!! OVER 150 POSSIBLE PARTY MEMBERS!!!
>not a gimmick
Pokémon has ALWAYS been a gimmick game. Literally since day 1.
>>
File: IMG_0626.png (210KB, 847x636px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0626.png
210KB, 847x636px
>>29690662
Of course your favorite didn't get a mega. Only fully evolved Pokémon get megas, and so they had to give it to your favorite Pokemon's evolution.
>>
>>29690814
Oh right i should have Lucario and charizard as my favorites thanks GF :^)
>>
>>29690263
>>29690426
This. I'm a bit worried at their current need to add a lot of style over substance mechanic changes.

The older mechanic changes were all just natural pokemon progression updates.

Now it involves special trainer bonds and hold items and incredibly flashy attacks and massive power boosts. I dont like the direction the franchise is heading in this regard.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.