[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Yeti Crabs are my favorite crustaceans >We finally get

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 202
Thread images: 34

>Yeti Crabs are my favorite crustaceans
>We finally get one and its unexpectedly FIGHTING/ICE. A fantastic and unique STAB combo
>Everyone hates it's guts
Whats wrong with it? Its such a bro-tier design with a lots of competitive potential.
>>
>>29682892
the design just really isn't all that good. it takes the yeti part of the yeticrab way to literal, and it just comes off as silly.
>>
its face and hair look retarded and it ruins Crabrawler.
>>
>>29682969
It saves Crabrawler. I had written the crab off as uninteresting dreck before this.
>>
>>29682892
I'm wait for gameplay
Probably is goat design or shit design
>>
>>29682983
>It saves Crabrawler.

No it doesn't. Crabrawler did the boxing theme well with the black eye, stance, and claw shape. I don't know what the fuck this thing is supposed to be going for. And it just looks worse because most of its body is just a white blob shape instead of the more detailed appendages Crabrawler had.
>>
File: 643.png (11KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
643.png
11KB, 256x256px
Because it has fur all over its body and a stupid face.
>>
>>29683062
I won't say that it saves Crabrawler, but this yeti crab is definitely not as bad as you say. You can't see it's detailed appendages because they're covered in fur. And none of us know what it's going for because we don't know anything about it.
>>
>>29683062
It's a boxing trainer.
>>
File: Yeti crabs exist.jpg (18KB, 300x256px) Image search: [Google]
Yeti crabs exist.jpg
18KB, 300x256px
>>29682892
>yeti crabs are my favorite crustacean
my nigga
>>
>>29683062
You can make out more or less the same level of detail on their models. You're comparing a minimalist interpretation of a datamined model to the officially-released artwork.
>>
>>29683102
>And none of us know what it's going for because we don't know anything about it.

I shouldn't need to know anything about it to know what the design is supposed to portray. That's a sign that the design is bad.

I can tell that Decidueye is a robin hood inspired Pokemon immediately just by looking at it. I can tell Incineroar is a wrestler immediately just by looking at it. I can tell Gumshoos is a detective right away just by looking at it. This thing just looks like shit.

>>29683105
It does a terrible job at portraying this beyond just flattening the claws. How does the doofy face add to the concept? How does the hick hair add to the concept?

>>29683138
>You can make out more or less the same level of detail on their models

No you can't. You think I'm using that shitty art in the OP as a reference you faggot? I'm looking at the model sprites of both crabs on my computer right now.
>>
File: Glass Joe Rematch.jpg (37KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Glass Joe Rematch.jpg
37KB, 500x500px
>>29682892
I feel like if it had something like pic related on it's head instead of the weird dunce hair it has now to really get the whole "boxing trainer" idea across i would like it a lot more than i currently do.
>>
File: 1476781308710.png (232KB, 759x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1476781308710.png
232KB, 759x1200px
>>29682892
It legitimately ruins an amazing concept.

I'm hoping the yeti crab is a counterpart and not actually an evolution.
>>
>Fighting/Ice
I know a lot of people believe that because of the yeti association and the white color, but as long as it's not confirmed, there's a tiny chance that this thing will keep its pure fighting type.
>>
>>29683221
I don't doubt it will be an evolution, but I hope it will evolve with an ice stone so I can use it ingame and not need to worry about mashing B after every level.
>>
>>29683197
The art is smoother than the model sprites, really. It gets rid of the pixelation.

Not all Pokemon are gonna be based on something everyone knows about. Not all people know what yeti crabs are. Your claim that you don't need to know anything about it proves this. It's cool if you don't know about it, but it's not cool if you complain about something that you don't know if you believe that you're supposed to instantly recognize what a Pokemon is. Some Pokemon are just more familiar than others, and some require some outside knowledge. It's totally fine.
>>
>>29683197
You can clearly see that he is a boxing trainer just by looking at it.
>>
>>29683197
i don't know about you but i was able to make the connection before you did

i also noticed the pincers now have stubs to look like chubby yeti paws
>>
>>29683293
exactly this

It's nice to know that there are people out there who actually use observation skills
>>
File: did my haunter change at all?.png (3KB, 90x77px) Image search: [Google]
did my haunter change at all?.png
3KB, 90x77px
>>29683260
it's along side Crabrawler in every island's dex. it's an evo my dude, look like you'll be using pic related or you'll be avoiding the ice stone.
>>
>>29682892
There were tons of missed opportunity for evolution in this gen like drampa pre-evolution and komola evolution. People just thought crabralwer was a good single stage since it fought Landorus in the trailers.

I don't like the design but do like the lore. It reached the top and now helps weak crabralwers train by gaining ice and pads for claws

One last thing
>Slow ice types
>>
>>29683311
But I wanted to also give it an Eviolite.
>>
>>29682892
>Whats wrong with it?
its not a snowman, that's pretty much it.

I like it OP, it's definitely going on my team. Of course it will be hard to play with two ice types, but whatever.
>>
>>29683222
To be fair we have several other prevos this time around like (if i remember correctly) cutiefly and jango-o who don't gain their secondary typing till evolution
>>
>>29682892
I just hate that its going to be slow as fuck, with high def/sdef but shit HP
Yes I know Im just making shit up but I dont trust GF
>>
The yeti crab will remain pure Fighting like its coconut crab pre-evolution.

People who expect this Pokémon to be Fighting/Ice are underestimating Game Freak's trolling abilities.
>>
>>29683197
>How does the doofy face add to the concept?

Because it got punched so much.
>>
>>29682892
>Everyone hates it is guts
>>
>>29683280
>Not all Pokemon are gonna be based on something everyone knows about
no but SOMEONE should be able to recognize what it is if its design is good.

And no, shitty post-justification bullshit like "Decidueye is actually based on an obscure as fuck extinct owl so that's why it's ghost type even though literally every other extinct animal based pokemon isn't ghost type and literally no one even brought this up for the 5 months it was leaked" doesn't count

>Not all people know what yeti crabs are
Multiple people (including me) identified it as a yeti crab the second it was datamined.

>but it's not cool if you complain about something that you don't know if you believe that you're supposed to instantly recognize what a Pokemon is.
But no one knows what it is, and even if the people saying it's a boxing coach are right, the design still looks like shit because other aspects of it don't work with that theme.
>>
>>29683293
>>29683307
This, to be honest.
And a dash of Doc Louis.
>>
>>29683332
Cutiefly has a secondary typing.
>>
>>29683341
It could stay pure fighting just to fit with the theme of the first stage, an animal lives in an environment it doesn't share a typing with.
>>
>>29683287
>You can clearly see that he is a boxing trainer just by looking at it.
>>It does a terrible job at portraying this beyond just flattening the claws. How does the doofy face add to the concept? How does the hick hair add to the concept?

>>29683293
Connection for what? It's obvious as fuck it's a yeti crab. No one is denying that. But beyond that the design is shit regardless of whether or not it's a coach.
>>
File: 1478030732531.png (748KB, 770x812px) Image search: [Google]
1478030732531.png
748KB, 770x812px
>>29683260
Given Crabrawler's description, it's evolution might be location based similar to Magezone and Probopass. Which would make it interesting conceptually.
>>
>>29682892
Look at its ugly retard face.
>>
File: 1476984386251.jpg (12KB, 252x147px) Image search: [Google]
1476984386251.jpg
12KB, 252x147px
It still could be a counterpart and not an evolution.
People fucking crucified me in a thread earlier for mentioning that it could be a possibility.
>>
>>29683391
what doesn't work with the theme is the weird ass hair which while a flaw doesn't completely ruin it for me

>>29683391
i was able to notice that it was based on boxing coaches with pincers that reflected both that and being part literal yeti by having stubs making them look like paws and sparring gloves without anyone telling me. no post-justification
>>
>>29683391
I had a discussion with a very persistent asshole about Crabrawler's "gloves" so I ended doing a lot of research into boxing and kickboxing gear.
I've thought of boxing pads since the datamine.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was wrong though.
>>
>>29683354
>Battle Royal Starts

"Where am I? I can't even find my RAGECANDYBAR! I must be in the wrong corner."
>>
>>29683351
>But no one knows what it is, and even if the people saying it's a boxing coach are right, the design still looks like shit because other aspects of it don't work with that theme.

But it's obviously a boxing coach.

>Ice type and a coach because it reached the top both figuratively and literally like its description describes, always wanting to be on top of the tallest nearby vantage point, which would be Alola's snowy mountain. Ice type also represents its fragility as a fighter past its prime.
>claws now look like pads instead of boxing gloves
>face is all derpy from getting punched a lot

What doesn't work? Seems to make sense to me.
>>
I love crabs and crab Pokemon and I thought Crabrawler was just okay and then Crabominable ended up making it an instant first playthrough mon. Ice/Fighting is cool as hell, yetis and crabs and yeti crabs are cool as hell, I love everything about it.
>>
>>29683492
>But it's obviously a boxing coach.

No it's not. Literally the only thing that points at it is the claws being a bit flattened. That's it. NOTHING ELSE about the design does a good job at supporting this concept.

Its face should be beat up from getting punched a lot, not derpy. Crabrawler has a black eye. It doesn't just randomly have a derpy face. And the hair also does nothing to support this concept.
>>
>>29683492
>boxing coach
>weak to fighting
wew lad
>>
>>29683351
Yeah, no one knows what it is. But isn't that what you're arguing for?

You said that a good Pokemon design should be recognizable, and people should be able to tell what it is. Well, you agreed to immediately being able to identify it as a yeti crab. So if it's recognizable, what's wrong with it?

The claws have gotten stubs to simultaneously portray yeti paws and boxiing pads. The antennae are just rearranged as hair, just as Crabrawler's were. It's face has changed to be more of a yeti, too.

However, if you were referring to the stuff I just mentioned, well, then you're never gonna get an answer, because Gamefreak will never tell us the truth about certain design choices and inspirations.
>>
>>29683437
>physically larger than Crabrawler
>Crabrawlers aim for the highest point: the mountain
>literally no reason to reveal one counterpart and not the other
It's an evolution.
>>
>>29682892
>defensive Ice-type

There's a reason Axel took down Vexen so easily
>>
>>29683550
>Well, you agreed to immediately being able to identify it as a yeti crab. So if it's recognizable, what's wrong with it?

It's a yeti crab. But poorly expands on Crabrawler's entire boxing theme. With Crabrawler you can quickly tell it's a boxer and a coconut crab. With this you just see a yeti crab and MAYBE a coach if you squint because barely any of the design does a good job at portraying it. If this were just a lone single stage design it wouldn't be as bad.
>>
>>29683583
It drops most of the boxing theme to be more of a yeti. If you don't like that, that's completely fine.
>>
>>29683351
>it's the "Decidueye cant be ghost because I said so" autist
holy shit just drop it.
>>
>>29683527
Did you just ignore half of my post or something?

And there's not much they can do to make its face look beat up. A coach wouldn't have a beat up face unless they had been permanently disfigured or something. It would have a dumb look on its face from years and years of taking blows to the head.

>>29683535
A martial artist would kick the shit out of a boxing coach. Did you never realize that in almost all instances boxing coaches are middle-aged or old men? It's not like other martial arts where the teacher is a master of the art.
>>
>>29683437
>Crabrawler's code name is Crab1
>starter leaks confirmed their code names as Owl3, Sea Lion3, and Tiger3

Incineroar is a Litten counterpart confirmed
>>
>>29682969
no it doesn't

it's meant to poke fun at retired old boxers that become coaches
>>
File: 349875.jpg (9KB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
349875.jpg
9KB, 267x200px
>>29682892
>Slow, bulky ice type

its kind of weird looking too, but that's standard for pokemon i guess
>>
File: brokenspiritwhissu.png (36KB, 204x222px) Image search: [Google]
brokenspiritwhissu.png
36KB, 204x222px
What makes me think Yeti Crab will be a counterpart:
Crabrawler can simply go up in the snowy mountains to train with Yeti Crab. It's description does not necessarily mean it will evolve at that location (even though it very well could). Plus a punching Pokemon with boxing gloves evolving into a blocking Pokemon with focus mitts seems off thematically.

What makes me think Yeti Crab will be a evolution:
Crabrawler can be found before the first trial, around level 10. They wouldn't introduce a decent-strong single stage Pokemon that early, unless it was Farfetch'd-tier bad or inefficient to use in game, like Audino. Ice stone also exists.

It could go either way.

Also,
>Slow defensive Ice type
>>
>>29683602
That's not what I said. There's a reason it's a ghost type. But the "extinct" reasoning is beyond terrible and makes no sense.

>>29683610
>And there's not much they can do to make its face look beat up.

Disfigure it on one side. That would look more convincing than just a perfectly symmetrical but derpy face.

Crabrawler portrays the concept far more convincingly.

>>29683635
>it's meant to poke fun at retired old boxers that become coaches

No it isn't. Nothing about retired old boxers say "stupid hick hair style and derpy face"

this is just that shitty post-justification again.
>>
>>29683635
just because its a reference to something doesnt mean it doesnt look like shit

retired boxer / coach or not, it still looks like shit
>>
Why do people think this is ice type
>>
>>29683690
read my thing too, anon
>>29683599
>>
>>29683704
its a fucking yeti crab

that looks like a yeti

yetis live in cold, snowy places
>>
>>29682892
The face just makes it look like a yutz. Like, part of its design is based on hillbillies it seems.
>>
File: 1465340924737.jpg (50KB, 413x449px) Image search: [Google]
1465340924737.jpg
50KB, 413x449px
>>29683702
Or maybe, just MAYBE, if you weren't born with shit taste, you would let a design's concept slightly alter your personal feelings of it's execution. Why is aesthetic-appeal everything for you close minded faggots?
>>
File: IMG_0530.png (656KB, 624x536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0530.png
656KB, 624x536px
>>29682892
I don't hate him. In fact, he's got a solid spot on my Moon team. I love Krabominable.
>>
>>29684214
Your sun team is perfect dude, but I do disagree with your post on Krabominable being good. If you swapped him for basically anything else beside the birds both your sun and moon team would be top tier.
>>
File: anchor.png (22KB, 433x218px) Image search: [Google]
anchor.png
22KB, 433x218px
>>29682892
Yeti crab is a pretty big change from its evolution, I think having such a big shift made a lot of people dislike it. I think if there was a middle more subtle stage or it was a different mon and they were version exclusives people would like it more.

Anyway what I don't get is why people don't like the anchor, love this thing.
>>
>>29683708
I did. And you said it's completely fine. So why the fuck are you trying to force your post? If it were completely fine you would just leave it at that instead of trying to get a last word in.

>>29684173
A design being based on something doesn't make it good. Sorry faggot.
>>
>>29684265
>Anyway what I don't get is why people don't like the anchor

No coherence. It looks more like a mishmash of shit and less like something that would actually be sentient.

Aegislash, Rotom, and Chandelure do the possessed object Pokemon thing right. This doesn't.
>>
>>29684245
I appreciate it! I'll have to see more of the unofficially released Pokémon before I make my final verdicts, but Snokrab looks good to me at the moment.
>>
>>29684173
Not him, but it seems like you're asking why execution is important when determining quality.
I could go write a story with all these grand parallels in mind, but if it's poorly written it really doesn't matter.
Whatever it's meant to look like, the crab looks like shit. If you like it in spite of that, just because you like the /idea/ of it, I think you're the strange one.
>>
I don't hate it, it's just not what I wanted it to be.

Regardless of what people say to convince you otherwise, that's what 90% of the problems with any Pokemon evolution are.
>>
File: 1476939139722.png (967KB, 2050x1378px) Image search: [Google]
1476939139722.png
967KB, 2050x1378px
>>29684330
Anchor is great though and makes sense while being creative.
>>
>>29684330
>It looks more like a mishmash of shit

It's literally just an anchor, a ship's steering wheel, and some algae. How is that not coherent?
>>
>>29684362
>while being creative.

but it's not though. It's just an anchor, a steering wheel, and some kelp slapped on with none of the colors even attempting to match. The fact that image needs to exist to explain the design should speak for why the design itself isn't good.
>>
>>29684369
>It's literally just an anchor, a ship's steering wheel, and some algae. How is that not coherent?

You answered your own question.

Aegislash is coherent even though it's a sword and a shield because the colors match up and they fit together into an overall sheathing concept. This is just things thrown together.
>>
There's still a chance that this is just part of a duo with Crabrawler rather than an evolution r-right?
>>
File: 1477011965703.jpg (264KB, 1499x1835px) Image search: [Google]
1477011965703.jpg
264KB, 1499x1835px
>>29684379
I think once you see it in motion you might like it. I really love this guy though, my favorite pokenon this gen along with mimikyu. The fact we got nautical pokemon that appears to be based around ghost shios is really cool to me.
>>
>>29684417
No way. Next to it on the pokedex and it shares some design features like the legs and the glove like fists.
>>
>>29684278
>>29684343
>it looks like shit because i think it looks like shit
nothing wrong with you not liking it, but there have been plenty of arguments i've seen in this thread on both sides with plenty valid and invalid on each

if you don't like the flaws in the execution that's fine but it can't be an actual shit design if there are actual good points for its execution that make sense. it's fair that you can find something wrong in a design but that doesn't invalidate everything others find right in the design. if the hair or something makes you dislike it or hate it go ahead but don't pretend the stuff that turns you off from it makes it a complete shit design.

shit i hate absol and even i admit there's a nice concept with some decent design elements on it

tl;dr this place needs to fucking learn that there's a difference between bad designs and decent designs with some flaws in their execution that turn them off
>>
>>29684482
>if you don't like the flaws in the execution that's fine but it can't be an actual shit design if there are actual good points for its execution that make sense.

But that's the thing - they DON'T make sense. Barely anything about its design expands properly from Crabrawler.

it's fair that you can find something good in a design but that doesn't invalidate everything others find wrong in the design. if the hair or something makes you like it or hate it go ahead but don't pretend the stuff that turns you on from it makes it a good design.
>>
File: tumblr_mb3rscyD1I1r8l831.png (110KB, 429x410px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mb3rscyD1I1r8l831.png
110KB, 429x410px
>>29683680
>>29683568
>implying it won't get ice shard/mach punch+ Conk-tier attack/HP
>>
>>29684518
Wait, what doesn't make sense?

I think you're too hung up on Crabrawler, cause this Pokemon is clearly going in a different direction than Crabrawler's boxing aspect. If it's this drastically different, than it doesn't technically need to be THAT similar to Crabrawler.
>>
>>29684518
it has been explained numerous fucking times how they expand on crabrawler

and don't just go for the face and hair and ignore everything else. the hair is definitely a flaw in the execution but i still like it. just as how you don't. which is fine.

>but it's just the pincers

probably the most defining thing about crabrawler itself, the giant boxing glove pincers, expanding on both the yeti and the boxing coach concepts shouldn't be considered something small. especially when they're one of the biggest, most prominent features on it
>>
It functions like the scizor-scyther pairing where they share the same BST and have a non-standard evolution method.

Don't worry guys I'm sure you won't be disappointed constantly throughout the game as you mash b after each battle with your Crabrawler!
>>
>>29684330
It's a wreckage of a ship. It's possessed because of all the people who died at sea.
>>
>>29682892
Down Syndrome: The Pokémon
>>
File: 1472782884918.png (90KB, 254x254px) Image search: [Google]
1472782884918.png
90KB, 254x254px
>>29684343
>If you like it in spite of that, just because you like the /idea/ of it, I think you're the strange one.
I rarely let execution eclipse my judgment of a design. If I find a design's execution iffy for my tastes I let the concept help me understand why it looks and acts this why to make the design more acceptable for me. Having an analytical mind is a good thing, because your willing to give a design a chance, which will make it grow on you faster.

Lets say a design like Tsareena is 5/10 being a humanoid fruit lady. Until you realize it's supposed to look this way as Magosteens are the "Queen of Fruits". The design is now 8/10 as you understand what it is trying to convey. And now she seems like a decent/passible design in your eyes. I can understand not everyone is born with an open mind like that, but it really isn't strange that a design's inspiration can slightly compensate a questionable execution.
>>
>>29684762

>It functions like the scizor-scyther pairing where they share the same BST and have a non-standard evolution method.

I wouldn't mind it if they go this route, but I'm not holding out hope.
>>
>>29683401
Honestly, I think that lorewise it'd make more sense for it to willingly use an Ice Stone when it feels strong enough to want to climb the mountain so it can survive there.
>>
>>29685156
I can agree with this statement
>>
>>29684762
I would love for this to happen, but since Crabrawler is obtainable before the first trial, the chances of this happening is practically zero.
>>
File: Wimpod Evo.png (156KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Wimpod Evo.png
156KB, 500x500px
>>
File: wtf even is it.png (101KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
wtf even is it.png
101KB, 500x500px
>>
File: Snowcrab.png (484KB, 2546x2601px) Image search: [Google]
Snowcrab.png
484KB, 2546x2601px
>>
>>29685156
Openly agreeing.
>>
>>29685156
>>29686108

Same.
>>
>>29682969
Its face says: I fought to get there.

You have to evolve him in the huge mountain
>>
Wait, this thing evolves from Crabrawler? Fuck. I didn't realise.
>>
File: 250px-539Sawk.png (59KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-539Sawk.png
59KB, 250x250px
>>29683680
>They wouldn't introduce a decent-strong single stage Pokemon that early
>>
File: hala-pokemon-sun-moon.png (1MB, 2879x3617px) Image search: [Google]
hala-pokemon-sun-moon.png
1MB, 2879x3617px
I mean, it fits the trainer who uses crabrawler. He's named after a tree associated with coconut crabs. The white fuzz and closed eyes make them look similar, and they both have the old grizzled mentor vibe. I wouldn't mind if his ace is the evo.
Fun fact: The mountain that the in game one is based off of is the tallest mountain on Earth. Not the highest though. Everest is higher.
>>
I never understood the idea of a fighting type that's particularly weak to other fighting types. Aren't fighting types all about being the best fighter? If your secondary type makes you weak to all the other fighting pokemon, you're a shitty fighting pokemon.
>>
Let's give it stats

HP: 120
Atk: 105
Def: 90
Spatk: 50
Spdf : 70
Spe: 45

Bst: 480
>>
if people are gonna complain about not understanding what this mon is supposed to be, I wonder how they felt about pokemon like Spiritomb, or Mawile
>>
>>29684417
now you're just being delusional
>>
>>29682892
Crabrawler didn't need an evo

Also this thing's face is fucking retarded, unless the "teeth" are in fact it's eyes.
Also the claws look shit
>>
>>29686742

Whats the difference bewteen tallest and highest? Genuinely curious.
>>
>>29685156
I agree with this so much, what ?
>>
>>29688125
Basically the Hawaiian mountain has the base on the bottom of the ocean, so if we were to compare the Everest and Mauna Kea side-by-side, Maune Kea would be taller. Mount Everest is however the highest point on earth, since it is 8000+ m above the sea level
>>
>>29683317
>Slow ice types

You do realize this thing has a very high chance to learn both Mach Punch and Ice Shard?
>>
>>29685156
The design of pokémon are supposed to catch your eyes and make them likable at first sight. If you have to research a pokémon to like it, then it failed at the simplest task a design has.

Concept does not excuse a shitty design, all the Incineroar apologists crying about how it's based on Tiger Mask can go fuck right off
>>
>>29688181
>If you have to research a pokémon to like it, then it failed at the simplest task a design has.
Says who? Why are you even forcing this mentality to justify that a design's execution alone is the only thing that matters?
>>
>>29682892

It's ugly as shit. Crabrawler was perfect.
>>
>>29682892

There's no proof its Ice type.
>>
>>29683197
>How does the doofy face add to the concept?

It's a YETI part.
>>
>>29686870

Those Pokemon actually look good regardless of what they're based on. Yeti crab doesn't.
>>
>>29684424
That artwork is wrong as the leak it is based off of is mirrored
>>
>>29682892
Atleast landorus can't cripple it just by switching in
Or its Gonna hurt with ice punch+hyper cutter
>>
if they had kept Crabrawler's antenna instead of giving it a retarded bowlcut for no reason, it would be so much better.
>>
>>29686718
For those who have seen the anime. Are those clothes?
>>
>>29682892
one of my favorites from this gen. i can't wait for them to announce it or i guess i might have to wait until i play the game if they don't.
>>
>>29683328
Everstone should be merged with the Eviolite.

Having to press B each level up can't get very annoying.
>>
>>29684400
To play devil's advocate it isn't so much just an anchor with random bits, its more representative of general ship wreckage, bound together by algae and seeweed etc. become sentient. I expect it to be Water/Ghost with Sturdy.
>>
>>29688415
You can't deny design execution maters to some extent.

A good concept doesn't make a good overal design product, this isn't the case with any other kind of art so why pokemon? A good concept CAN be executed poorly thereby tarnishing it as a good concept as there could well be better ways to have implemented the concept and/or the concept was never quite so good in the first place.
>>
>>29688527
This. When i look at this and then alolan diglett i just want to punch whoever thought this stupid shit looks good.
>>
I didn't realize until now that this thing evolves from Crabrawler. Now I'm bummed out and need to pick something else for my team.
>>
>>29683351
>no but SOMEONE should be able to recognize what it is if its design is good.

But lots of people understood. It just so happened that you were none of these people. There is nothing to be ashamed of.
Instead of rants you could have said:' oh a yeti crab , sounds interesting, I must google it' and be done with it.

Unless you enjoy the attention.
>>
File: IMG_4805.png (108KB, 680x679px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4805.png
108KB, 680x679px
>>29683437
Retard denialfag
>>
>>29688415
Because in the end no one is gonna say "Oh sure Goodra looks like shit, but it's based on a french snail dragon so it's 9/10 pokémon"

A good design can save a weak concept but the opposite is not true
>>
>>29689947
but understanding a concept can enhance the view on a design as said >>29685156
>>
>>29689993
It really can't
>>
>>29690048
yes it can
>>
there's execution and then there's "execution"

"execution" is what's argued in this thread which isn't actually about whether the design is good and just "is it cool or cute"

>>29690055
it can help a bad execution, but it can't instantly save it completely

steenee and tsareena are bad designs despite their concept, for example
>>
>>29690083
And that's just opinion as I like both of their designs
>>
>>29690083
>steenee and tsareena are bad designs despite their concept, for example
No.
>>
>>29689947
I think you are wrong. Look at Alolan Dugtrio. It looks like GF just slapped hair on it and called it a day. But when you learn about Pele's hair it suddenly makes a lot more sense why you would put hair on Dugtrio and makes the design really creative
>>
File: 1379615929669.jpg (488KB, 728x926px) Image search: [Google]
1379615929669.jpg
488KB, 728x926px
I love this Simple Crab
>>
>>29682892
It looks more like a Veteran Boxer
>>
>>29682892
if you call that bro-tier design do you call Garbodor's design godly? because that is one ugly crab.
>>
>>29690092
>>29690106
personally i just can't stand their incredibly uncanny proportions. it just feels like they wanted to have giant hips for the waifufags and it just really bothers me.

>>29690113
another real example of bad execution compared to bad "execution". they could've been more creative with the whole pele's hair thing than they were. as it is they just put the pele's hair on dugtrio, arranged it like guidos and called it a day
>>
>>29690137
it looks ugly but I like it being silly and ugly because I can relate to it
I want to give it a chance to be a vital part of my team
>>
>>29690157
How could they be more creative that what they did for Dugtrio? The only way they could have nailed the design better is if they made Dugtrio grey.
>>
>>29690157
And I can understand how that could bother some people however for me and many others, that's clearly not a problem
>>
>>29690191
*than

Anyway he looks like a Pele's hair rock but brown instead of grey.
>>
>>29685156
Knowing the idea behind the design can help understanding the execution yes, but it doesn't make the execution automatically go up in score.
They're two separate things, the execution can still be bad or good. People will change their minds when they know the concept behind for better or worse, but the execution will be the same.

I like the yeti and I think the execution is well done by the way.
>>
>>29690191
could have mixed lava in the design if supposedly it's a fire-type and pele's hair is a form of lava. sure it doesn't look 1:1 to the actual rocks but it would feel better than how it feels like a wig.

honestly it would have been still passable if they at least gave it a slight tan outside of the shiny or a slightly different expression

>>29690212
at least i can admit tsareena did some cool things like mixing in a kicking motif there and i actually really like the hair on it
>>
>>29682938
Whats wrong with it being silly. This is pokemon
>>
>>29682938
Lol are you kidding bro? I you know This is Pokémon right
>>
>>29690137
Well, for what it is, it works. Its a crab meant to look like a yeti, which is a cryptic primate, while also playing on the idea of an actual yeti crab. The "fur" covers parts of its body so sections of its carapace look like a primate's chest and abdominal regions, and the class like like paws. Or, in a bit of a stretch, an exaggerated closed ape fist. And by that, clench your fist and look at it. If you do it right, your thumb should come under your fingers tightly. So the purple parts of the claws up being a thumb, and the second knuckles.
>>
File: 211-cheveux-pele-kilauea-01.jpg (192KB, 900x599px) Image search: [Google]
211-cheveux-pele-kilauea-01.jpg
192KB, 900x599px
>>29690253
It kind of does as knowing what it is can make it click better, as far as how good the execution looks, it is entirely subjective as what one person thinks is bad another may think is good like the Tsareena argument earlier

>>29690292
Pele's hair is yellow volcanic glass not lava, if it's in this state, if you're seeing it, there's probably no lava around
>>
>>29690418
I mean its still lava but its cooled down enough to the point where you can touch it so regular lava is not present in this state.
>>
>>29690350
From a boxing rookie crab to a boxing veteran yeti crab.
>>
>>29690329
>>29690346
There's good silly and bad silly. Crabrawler is a good silly. His evolution just looks dopey and stupid
>>
>>29690418
>It kind of does as knowing what it is can make it click better
>CAN make it click better
That's the entire point of my post. It can help if the executions is good, but it doesn't necessarily mean it will.
If the execution is good but people missed the point, obviously understanding the concept will make them appreciate it better.
If the execution is bad, understanding the concept will not make the execution of said concept automatically good.

I agree that this matter is subjective in part, considering how one execution or another can appeal to different tastes or points of view. But only in part, an important part of an execution can be analyzed objectively.
>>
>>29690649
But what makes an execution good or bad? if it includes the important elements, then what's to say it's wrong? A lot of people don't like the Crabrawler evolution, Alolan Dugtrio, etc because they don't get what they are based on. Without the context, are their designs good or bad? well that's up to opinion as there's technically nothing wrong with them.
In order for there to be a good execution the design has to portray the subject properly. If you told me that Mawile was a monkey, then whether people like it or not, it's objectively a bad design because it doesn't look like a monkey, but that doesn't mean it looks good or bad, it just isn't what it says it is
>>
>been desperatly awaiting an ice/fighting yetimon
>finally get one
>its some crab abomination out of spore

Th-thanks...
>>
File: athought.png (335KB, 718x487px) Image search: [Google]
athought.png
335KB, 718x487px
>>29690157
>it just feels like they wanted to have giant hips for the waifufags and it just really bothers me.
Well they aren't hips, they're magosteen parts blended with the "puffy pants" worn around the Renaissance times (an aspect of the royal theme).
>>
>>29683351
Decidueye isn't even based on it, some faggot on Twitter said it was and everyone ran with it. It's based on an owl that it even looks like to the hood and is thought to be a SPIRIT in myths.
>>
File: cabrawler.png (16KB, 1504x287px) Image search: [Google]
cabrawler.png
16KB, 1504x287px
>>29682983
nah, I think it hurts him. If his typing really is fighting/ice.....then that is terrible. He hit supper effective by all of the most popular typings and the only types he resists can still learn moves that can phuck him up...and of course being a "yeti" he's probably going to be slow as fuck.

i'm really hoping for water/ice instead, that would redeem him.....a little
>>
>>29690896
Yeah I agree with you. As I said previously, I think the yeti has a good execution so far.
I'm just saying that while a good design can save a weak concept, the opposite is not true.
Having a good idea/concept and executing it well are two separate processes, and one being good doesn't make the other instantly good too.

Regarding the what makes the execution good, well I'm not an expert on the matter so take this as you want, but I think what makes the execution good depends on the universe were talking about.
Here in Pokemon, we not only have to expect that it conveys/uses well the initial concept/base idea, but that it's cohesive with the rest of its universe (in other words it fits in/does not stick out like a sore thumb) and for evolutions they also should have an understandable progression.
I mean, it's ok if it just gets bigger or if it changes too much as long as there is a logical progression that can be explained either through the design or the initial concept.

I think the best example I can think now of a wrong execution on the "progression side" is Goodra. The design alone fits in Pokemon and it's fine, but the execution regarding the entire evolution line is a complete disaster.

Sorry if I'm not explaining myself very well, arguing about abstract concepts can be a pain.
>>
>>29686718
Sawk was post 2nd Gym leader though.
Crabrawler is PRE-1st trial.
>>
I don't hate it I just don't like its design nearly as much as Crabrawler's. It'll probably be on my team.
>>
File: image.jpg (227KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
227KB, 1680x1050px
I like him because he reminds me of the Bumble and the Bumble is awesome. Especially after he lost his teeth.
>>
>>29691509
Actually pre 2nd gym
>>
The hair makes it look stupid, and I hate its stupid huge grin. Crabrawler looked cool and sleek, but Crab2 just looks dumb. Not a fun or cute kind of dumb, just plain stupid, that one fat retard everyone had in their class in middle school.
>>
File: 1463702882233.png (2KB, 177x149px) Image search: [Google]
1463702882233.png
2KB, 177x149px
>>29684173
Are you asking why I don't like a Pokemon that I think looks ugly?

Design concept IS important as you implied, and I DO like the concept of a Fighting Pokemon who blocks punches with its focus mitt-like hands. But all of this means nothing when the execution of the idea is absolutely terrible.

Design/Execution of a concept > Concept > Battle usage

It's why basic or even lackluster ideas can be made fantastic. Pyukumuku is a prime example of this.
>>
File: 1476350462976.png (118KB, 526x326px) Image search: [Google]
1476350462976.png
118KB, 526x326px
>>29691729
This. Ugly or dumb-looking Pokemon can at least be charming or fun in design.

Crab2 is not.
>>
>>29682892
face it, the typing is crap defensively and its gonna be slow af
>>
>>29691934
honestly i find it fun

just because people hate its face doesn't mean it's a bad design, it just means it's a flawed one even when it has other good points that have been argued in this thread

again, just because you don't like a design doesn't mean it's shit
>>
>>29692646
>again, just because you don't like a design doesn't mean it's shit

again, just because you like a design doesn't mean it's good
>>
>>29682892
>having a favorite crustacean
>>
>>29689835
>Instead of rants you could have said:' oh a yeti crab

You're an illiterate retard. Nobody is denying that it's a yeti crab. Read the thread.

>>29688496
And it has nothing to do with Crabrawler.

>cause this Pokemon is clearly going in a different direction than Crabrawler's boxing aspect.
That's what makes it bad.

>>29684624
>it has been explained numerous fucking times how they expand on crabrawler

The design is still poor and barely does so outside of one aspect.

>especially when they're one of the biggest, most prominent features on it
Crabrawler still has black eye to emphasize this. Nothing else about Crab2 does this.
>>
>>29694443
well that's true too, but there have been good arguments on both sides really

>>29694513
even if it's not to your liking the lost teeth do this
>>
>>29694513
>That's what makes it bad
That's like, your opinion, man
>>
It's going to be slow, isn't it
>>
>>29694623
>That's what makes it not bad
That's like, your opinion, man
>>
>>29694660
Ah, you got me.

Alright, well, if you don't like that, then that's completely fine.
>>
>>29682969
This. The teeth and hairs looks like shit and it ruins Crabrawler's theme.
>>
>>29690467
>I don't like it, therefore it's bad
>>
>>29694701
Probably because it drops Crabrawler's theme
>>
>>29682892
Why do people care so much about what others think about shit they like?

If you like it, OP, isn't that enough? I think it's cool and don't give a shit about what the majority might say of it. Why does it matter?
>>
>>29691596
I know what I'm naming mine now.
>>
>>29694744
No, It has boxing trainer gloves and it lives on top of a Mountain because Crabrawler wants to be at the "highest" point to show how strong he is.
I still dislike the head.
I hope I'll like it in Motion, but I'm very sad at how it looks so far because Crabrawler was one of my favorite SM mons
>>
File: yeti.png (11KB, 107x43px) Image search: [Google]
yeti.png
11KB, 107x43px
You've been Cradily'd and Spider'd. What you think is its mouth is actually its face. The blue thing and "eyes" above it are snow goggles. The whole thing is like a closed coat hood. How else would a crab go to the top of an icy mountain?
>>
>>29695261
what? I can't tell what you're saying behind the faggot misused spoiler tags
>>
>>29694840
It's more of a yeti than anything else now. Just try not to compare this Pokemon too much with Crabrawler.

You could also just not evolve Crabrawler
>>
>>29695317
>Just try not to compare this Pokemon too much with Crabrawler.

no. It's an evolution of Crabrawler and should be treated as such. If they wanted it to be standalone they should have made it standalone.
>>
>>29695261
If it's true, I love it. But it won't
>>
>>29695290

If English your second language?
>>
>>29695358
Is faggotry your first language?
>>
>>29695326
But they didn't. And now we're living with it. So just use Crabrawler. Forget the yeti crab exists. I don't see how an evolution to something can ruin the entire pre-evo for you.

If you don't like it that much, then DON'T treat it as an evolution of Crabrawler. Just you.
>>
>>29682892
Dude, this is what will happen.

If it's good competitively people will start calling this thing their bro. See shit like Shuckle, Dragonite, Breelom, etc.

If it's not good competitively, no one will and will be forever neglected. See Avalugg, Barbaracle, etc.
>>
>>29695374
>Forget the yeti crab exists.
Ok. But the yeti is still a bad design.

>If you don't like it that much, then DON'T treat it as an evolution of Crabrawler.
But it IS an evolution of Crabrawler.
>>
>>29695400
Don't TREAT it as an evolution if you don't like it.
>>
>>29695366

No, but it's yours.
>>
>>29695421
anon i like that thing but come on, an evolution is an evolution

i really do like evos that have a slight connection but are very different since then people who prefer the preevo can get eviolite on it and make it more bulky.

defensively eviolite crabrawler might even be better than this
>>
>>29695462
I'm not the one using le black surprise boxes to make my posts pointlessly more annoying to read.

>>29695421
But it is an evolution.
>>
>>29683437
it's not
>>
>>29685284
OR it goes looking for Ice Stones at the summit and come back down evolved to show off their success.
>>
>alright boxer crab with super generic Japanese "cartoony" face, could pass as unused Starfy character design
>alright boxing instructor yeti crab with a different kind of generic Japanese "cartoony" face, could also easily pass as unused Starfy character design

They're both simply alright to me
>>
>>29682892
if you think that's bro-tier i shudder what you think is waifu-tier
>>
>>29695502
I know it's an evolution, I'm just telling YOU to not TREAT it like one if YOU don't like it
>>
>>29683401
>Fighting Coconut Crab
>Evolves in ice part of region
>Ice part of region is mountaintop
>Crabrawler evolves when he reaches the top
AY YO ADRIAN WE DID IT
>>
File: Come on 12121234.jpg (30KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Come on 12121234.jpg
30KB, 500x500px
>ITT
People who have boxed before and people who have not.

Pic related is yeti crab evo trainer.
Thread posts: 202
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.