[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Gen 5 is the Majora's Mask of the Pokémon franchise

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

File: black-white.jpg (44KB, 469x210px) Image search: [Google]
black-white.jpg
44KB, 469x210px

Discuss.
>>
>>29621457
But Majora's Mask is widely praised.
>>
Autism
>>
>>29621468
Not when it first came out.
>>
>>29621468
By reviews maybe.
It's a "Love it or hate it" game going by the Zelda fans.
>>
I would say it's more like the Vento Aureo of the Pokemon franchise, except good

Majora's Mask implies that Gen V took risks and was a huge departure of the formula established for the sake of world building and character development in a way that previous games wouldn't be able to provide. Gen V was more or less the same shit but inspecting its own ideas and doing something different with the story, but the formula is relatively the same and it's still just another Pokemon game in the long run

If anything, SM is shaping up to be the most Majora's Mask of the series
>>
>>29621457
Which means we'll never get anything like it again
>>
>>29621457
Do you care to elaborate on why you think this is the case?
>>
No, gen 5 is the oracle of ages/seasons of pokemon

The best games in the series by a large margin bit not the most popular sales wise
>>
>>29621597
This is the best metaphor. Gen 5 was Capcom Zelda.
>>
>>29621597
>The best games in the series by a large margin bit not the most popular sales wise

You could apply the very same to MM.
Yeah, Majora's Mask is the best
>>
>>29621457
>Shitty setting
>Shitty changes to the formula
>Worst story

That doesn't sound like Majora's Mask at all.
>>
>>29621597
>Ages/Seasons
>The best games in the series
How fucking wrong can you be? The best Capcom Zelda is Minish Cap
>>
>>29621498
The only reason people shit on MM is because it was the second 3d zelda, and was many peoples second zelda game, not first. The difference between OOT and MM is that MM is actually good and has a coherent plot that makes you understand the gravity of the situation, youre always pressed for time, you can't just dick around the world all you want, because if you dont so shit, the world will end. In OOT, however, its all "ganon will rule everything but everyone will still be alive for the most part, and no rush, just do whatever you feel like man!"

MM is more like Gen 4, it did everything right in one form or another, while OOT is more like gen 3, it works and set new foundations for the series, but overall the games are garbage trash which the remakes didn't fix at all.

>>29621597
This is a worse example though, Ages and Seasons were fucking amazing, while gen 5 is just "meh". For gameboy games, gen 5 is more like the original links awakening, not the DX version.
>>
>>29621457
Both my favorite games of their respective franchise.
>>
>>29621679
>The only reason people shit on MM is because it was the second 3d zelda

Eh, first time hearing this.
People normally cite the time limit and lack of dungeons as the main reasons.
>>
>>29621457

So it's the second best Zelda game?
>>
>>29621679
That's a very opinionated analysis anon.
>>
>>29621758
Those are excuses, the real reason they don't like it is because it was the second game and they had extremely high expecatations after OOT, and when they didnt get what they wanted they looked for every reason they could to shit on it.

>>29621770
The second best zelda game is oracle of ages.
>>
>>29621457
Uh, no, Gen 5 was good, it was really good, so it'd really be the Ocarina of Time of the Pokemon franchise, while X and U would be MM, cuz they sucked.
>>
Okay, since Zelda is a series that changes up its locale and design a fair bit, I call bullshit on this thread in general. BUT if you want to go this route-

Legend of Zelda- NOTHING
The Legend of Zelda has little reflection on the series as it stands today, and its also a bit too experimental and fundamental to be likened to Pokemon.

>A Link to the Past = Red/Blue/Yellow
Formed the "established" gameplay foundation, with a bit of non-linearity and bare-bones story. Unlikely to be enjoyed by casuals and new fans.

>Ocarina of Time = GSC
Added a ton of new features and established new series norms. Also tied to the previous iteration in terms of narrative. An evolution of the original established concepts, but not necessarily in the best ways.

>Minish Cap = RSE
Pretty graphics and implementation of improved tech to enhance movement and gameplay, but an over-emphasis on environmental gimmick. Forgettable.

A Link Between Worlds = FRLG
REEEEEMAAAAAAKES with expanded gimmickry

Oracle of Ages/Seasons = DPPt
A rehashed experience with prettier graphics and nicer music, but questionable choices make it a middling experience

Twilight Princess = HGSS
New an improved gameplay with familiar, yet graphically enhanced environments, arguably a better game than that which it is based upon, but people will agree to disagree.

Skyward Sword = BW/B2W2
Over-emphasis on story with linear environment design, saved only by nostalgia.

Wind Waker = XY
Pretty graphics and grand scale, but ends up lacking a little bit of meat as a result. Also uses nostalgia in a weird way.

Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks = ORAS
Something that sounded good on paper but ended up having a lot less content than it should have, also had a traversal gimmick that was stupid.

BONUS
Hyrule Warriors = Pokemon Conquest
For obvious reasons

Majora's Mask = Pokemon Rumble (Wii)
For having the best gameplay in the franchise
>>
>>29622198
Objectively the shittiest opinion ITT. Gen 5 being OoT would imply that everyone loves it and is considered the one of the best video games of all time, when in reality it's almost the complete opposite. Also, go fuck yourself, MM was amazing.
>>
>>29621457
No you see, Gen 5 is good unlike MM
>>
>>29622198
>>29622288
>Samefagging this hard
>>
File: 1435762065330.jpg (519KB, 1847x1134px) Image search: [Google]
1435762065330.jpg
519KB, 1847x1134px
I fucking hate Zelda
>>
>>29622301
Aonuma's first game as a director was Majora's Mask, after Ocarina of Time, which "ruined" the Octorok as you say.
>>
>>29621457
Definitely not. MM is one of the best Zelda games, while Gen 5 is pretty mediocre.
>>
>>29622335
Ocarina of Time had 4 directors, one of which was Aonuma
>>
>>29621597
>Capcom
Proud owner of Oracle of ages, dude that shit was awesome.

Also spirit track is good puzzle wise but very awkward exploration wise, I honestly compare spirit tracks to gen 5 more than oracles.
>>
>>29621499
Gen IV and VI did more for worldbuilding than Gen V did, to be honest.
>>
>>29622355
He's credited as a Designer on his Wikipedia, and does not appear as a Director in the game's credits. On the other hand, he is credited as a director on the OoT Wikipedia, but whatever.
>>
>>29622401
I guess, it's a shame Gen VI's worldbuilding was utter fucking crap but you're probably right in the long run

That's why I compared it more to Vento Aureo, it's a very secluded and self-contained story that develops its cast more than other installments in the series and felt more like refinement of Gen III's soft reboot formula than something entirely unique

Gen V is almost kind of the polar opposite of Majora in this regard, and OP is an autistic fag for wanting to link his two favorite games together
>>
>>29622440
He's a dungeon designer and a pretty good one at that. I just think he was given too much power cause of that Japanese seniority promotion practice and utterly fucked the series beyond redemption in the last 15 years

Unless the series is given to somebody else, it's doomed to live in Ocarina's shadow
>>
File: Screenshot_20161102-205539.png (206KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161102-205539.png
206KB, 720x1280px
>>29622298
You're trying too hard anon.
>>
>>29621653
Mm wasnt even close to the best
>>
>>29622504
But he now seems open to a serious second look at Zelda in a big picture scope, and not just as a OoT sequel.

That's what BoW tells me anyway, it's basically rethinking what Zelda in 3D would be like, it's drawing far more from the original NES game than OoT in terms of design.
>>
>>29622504
I think Zelda dungeon design has only improved with each new 3D entry, IMO, although Twilight Princess has the best dungeon design, period.

I would rather Zelda be different with each new installment, although the exploration elements should remain intact. I fail to see how the series has been fucked, outside of Skyward Sword being underwhelming.
>>
>>29622561
Breath of the Wild could be great, certainly. The rumors that there are only 4 dungeons is a bit disheartening but hopefully the 100+ Shrines makes up for that.
>>
File: 1477797593839.png (268KB, 509x607px) Image search: [Google]
1477797593839.png
268KB, 509x607px
>>29622564
TP certainly has some of the best gameplay and dungeons, Wind Waker is a fucking joke in comparison to other 3D games

When I say living under the shadow it's the fact that Ocarina essentially had defined the series despite having been just another installment at the time. A revolutionary, 3D one, but the overreliance on trying to 'top' or 'copy' it was what really burnt me out of the series. 3 out of 4 3D games that came after Ocarina were direct sequels to it, and 2 of them use very similar beats like collecting 3 RGB MacGuffins to get the Master Sword. Skyward Sword did that too but with a shit ton of padding and being an obnoxiously bad game as a whole

It's something I can't really make other people see unless they themselves look into it in a similar way as I do. It's highly opinionated
>>
Gen 6/3ds is SS

Gen 4/5/ds is TP

Gen 3/GBA is WW

Gen 2/GBC is MM

Gen 1/GB is Oot
>>
>>29622797
gen 1 and 2 don't make any sense but I agree with the rest
>>
>>29622831
Essentially very similar games, but very different

The color and stuff is pretty much just the expansion pack
>>
>>29622724
Wind Waker is a great traversal system, aesthetic, and story with mediocre, unmemorable dungeons. :(

I totally get it, man. Zelda has been formulaic, but I think that there have been some great steps forward more recently- A Link Between Worlds is piss-easy but has a ton of great ideas and is a neat experiment, and Tri Force Heroes was amazing locally. Breath of the Wild looks really exciting, and while Skyward Sword had presentation and story beats that marred the experience pretty heavily, the environment and dungeon design was awesome.

Again, I'm admittedly apologetic and opinionated myself, I just try to enjoy something about every game. It's rare that an experience rubs me the wrong way, but I get what you mean. I'm worried that if Breath of the Wild is successful, it will "reset the cycle" and take the place of Ocarina, actually...
>>
>>29622724
>3 out of 4 3D games that came after Ocarina were direct sequels

Huh
>>
>>29622966
>Majora's Mask
Sequel
>Wind Waker
Sequel
>Twilight Princess
Seeeequel
>Skyward Sword
Pre-pre-pre-prequel
>>
File: Confused_Kirby.png (23KB, 194x227px) Image search: [Google]
Confused_Kirby.png
23KB, 194x227px
>>29623002
>Wind Waker
>Sequel
>>
>>29623288
The game outright spells it out that it's a sequel to Ocarina of Time and is the direct follow up to Ganondorf's very generic, "I'll get you next time Gadget" threat from the Sacred Realm

It's also the game that caused the timeline split in the first place since it completely contradicts Majora
>>
>>29623288
...Did you NOT know this?

Check your Hyrule Historia, pleb
>>
>>29623288
Even before there were any official Nintendo approved timelines it was very obvious that Wind Waker takes place in the aftermath of OoT even if you completely disregard the concept of dual timelines.
>>
>>29621679
>gen 5 is just "meh"
>gen 5 is more like the original links awakening, not the DX version.

I'm getting conflicting signals here...
>>
>>29622387
>loved Oracles
>loved Minish Cap
Capcom Zelda is pretty ace. Now that I think about it, a lot of Nintendo IP games in the Gamecube era were third party.
>>
File: Comfy.jpg (19KB, 409x409px) Image search: [Google]
Comfy.jpg
19KB, 409x409px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8euJOK-KWXQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-tggRh__SE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXKkZt9EHHA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JP4pOzkDP4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSbuAEOrsp0
>>
>>29622241
I'm glad to see someone else who likes Twilight Princess. Good post, nice comparisons.

By the way, are we finally getting into the Zelda cycle that admits TP was awesome?, I've always liked it more than Wind Waker.
>>
>>29621679
>MM is more like Gen 4, it did everything right in one form or another, while OOT is more like gen 3, it works and set new foundations for the series, but overall the games are garbage trash which the remakes didn't fix at all.

Underrated
>>
>>29622241
>ALBW being compared to the forgettable FRLG
>>29622797
>TP, which is likely the worst 3D Zelda being compared to Gen 5 which is probably the best generation
>>
>>29621457

BW1 was Banjo-Kazooie

BW2 was Banjo-Tooie
>>
File: 1473857127461.png (5KB, 435x269px) Image search: [Google]
1473857127461.png
5KB, 435x269px
>>29621457
sure it is
last time I checked, Majora's Mask wasn't a garbage game made on a dying console as basically a placeholder
>>
>>29621457
I guess that makes gen 4 the Wind Waker of the franchise. Overrated by underage babbies but in truth the worst of the series.
>>
what the duck is Zelda?
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.