[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Almost every single 3D pokemon model is much worse than the sprite

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 175
Thread images: 38

File: Better.png (50KB, 407x522px) Image search: [Google]
Better.png
50KB, 407x522px
Almost every single 3D pokemon model is much worse than the sprite version. Sprites in general had a much greater sense of life and personality in them.

Look at the 3d models in comparison. They're so lifeless and boring. The orange on the charizard was better in gen 4 too.
>>
>>29619985
So chubby and CUTE
>>
>>29619985

>Comparing static 2D sprites to 3D models
>>
>>29619985
>Look at the 3d models in comparison. They're so lifeless and boring
I do not see any difference in personality with Ledian

And it's stupid to say that when the sprites are always in a dynamic pose because they don't move. And when they do it's not even good, it's just them floating, flapping their wings, or moving up and down slightly with their legs.
>>
>>29619985
yep i totally agree, we should go back to these
>>
>>29619985
Sprites are garbage and moving to 3D was something that Gamefreak needed to do to grow
>>
>>29619985
Aside from the duller colour, charizard's model is much better than his BW sprite. They should have based it on the HGSS one.
>>
The sprites are garbage and in many cases miscolored.

At least the 3D models use the proper colorations from the Ken Sugimori artworks.
>>
>>29619985
The only worse one is the last one because his model males him look so spherical.
>>
It's always nice to see spritefags getting BTFO'd
>>
Sprites look more dynamic as stills because the artist has creative freedom to exaggerate proportions to create the illusion of motion, which models don't have the luxury of. However, models are designed to be seen in motion to make up for this.
>>
>>29620295
>BTFO'd
>Beat The Fuck Out'd
what
>>
File: emp.gif (70KB, 88x78px) Image search: [Google]
emp.gif
70KB, 88x78px
>>29620139
Some of these animations were absolutely disgusting.
>>
I agree and I've been saying this for awhile as well. The colors and lighting just don't work in the 3d models. They really annoy me, whenever I go on Showdown I switch it to BW sprites
>>
I prefer sprites too but the gen 5 rotating puppet shit was pig disgusting. It was fun looking forward to how your favourite Pokemon were represented in the new games, which doesn't really happen anymore with models.
>>
File: file.png (11KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
11KB, 240x240px
>>29619985
you stretched that tyranitar model, come on
>>
>>29620434
>op actually did this
My sides.
>>
>>29620434
the ledian sprite is stretched too, i think he's just incompetent
>>
>>29620488
If I didn't know better I'd say some people on /vp/ have been doing this for months on purpose - intentionally skewing the sprites in different ways to make them look worse than they do so people will jump on the 3D hate bandwagon

There are a few fatally flawed models in Gen 6, sure, and it's un-debatable that the colors are too washed out but for the most part the models are decent, on-model and look like the Pokemon in question from every angle - which is really the most important thing. Plus, it's obviously easier for the developers to cherrypick a Pokemon's best angle and exaggerate it's features in a piece of 2D art, something much harder to do in 3D. On a slightly related note, I thought Gen 5's sprites looked like dogshit thanks to the lazy sprite scaling and rotating and the pixelly-as-fuck back sprites.

Basically, they're not that bad. People are just trying to make it out to be 10x the problem that it actually is, which I don't get because it's not like Gen 6 doesn't have plenty of more legitimate things to rant about.
>>
>>29619985
>lifeless and boring
You like Pokemon that move up and down or side to side for most of the time, then pause and do a neat jiggle for 3 seconds? As opposed to Pokemon that move casually and realistically in idle animations? And actually MOVE DIFFERENTLY when they perform a move?

I will admit, the colors are a big issue, but you only picked 3 out of 649.

I guess it just comes down to whether or not you like Pokemon that look cool, but only move every so often, or Pokemon that are always moving differently, but don't look cool all the time. Which is fine.

I think models really do have more life and personality than sprites that only move slightly. Models add for more variety of Pokemon movement. Think about things like Pyukumuku's organ fist and Morelull's bioluminescent mushrooms.
>>
File: grace.jpg (27KB, 135x246px) Image search: [Google]
grace.jpg
27KB, 135x246px
>>29619985
just look this beauty here. You're right, op, they're not boring because they're almost a meme
>>
>>29620369
wtf? is it dancing?
>>
>>29620742
Charhurrzard!
>>
I just wish they didnt just stand there, idly contemplating their deaths. I also wish they didnt go the chubby with side hanging arms route when it came to many of the larger Pokemon.
>>
>>29620855
The idle poses could easily be just as dynamic as the gen 4 and 5 sprites if GF bothered to put in the effort.
>>
>>29619985
i just don't get it, pokemon have personality now and you're complaining to come back to those SHIT sprites ugly af, i just don't get it.
>lifeless
different movements and personality is worse than an up/down strange sprite

you're a nostalgicfag without base, go complain about something based
>>
>>29619985
>Fat Tyrannitar
>Skinny Charizard
Which is it, OP? Better keep your story straight!

Nobody ever posts the one that I hate. Virizion looks sleek and classy in the sprite, but the 3d model makes the head so fucking wide and flat.
>>
I don't care. 3D models are much better.
>>
Sprites
>Badass, dynamic action pose
Models
>Sir, please sit still and look forward for your driver's license photo
>>
>>29620890
>Pokemon have personality now
Just standing there instead of battle ready like previous gens tried in the sprites?

Please get out.
>>
>>29620988
oh, i love pre-gen6 amie

please get out
>>
File: 237.gif (50KB, 83x63px) Image search: [Google]
237.gif
50KB, 83x63px
>>29619985
The sprites are designed to be viewed while still, the models are designed to be viewed in motion. This is why their so much effort was put into their attack animations, and why Gen V's animated sprites looked like fresh garbage.

The models would have better idle animations on better hardware. If they were moving around all the time the 3DS would explode.
>>
>>29620336
>However, models are designed to be seen in motion to make up for this

While this is true, GF for some reason decided to give awful idle animations to almost every pokemon. It's like they took the T shape, lowered the arms and that's it.

3D models would look much better with proper idle animations as those are the ones you see the most during a battle
>>
OP, I completely agree. Being a Pokemon and Final Fantasy fan for so many long years, it seems like these artists have degraded in passion and quality, most likely due to heavy corporate preesure and deadlines. When SE released I am Setsuna as a callback to old school ff games, I thought that we would be able to enjoy old school quality graphics that would really brinf the new generation to understand the greatness of sprites. Instead we have still ended up with 'futureproof' 3D models in ff and pokemon that basically disgrace the games that came before and paved the way for these games to be created in the first place.
Why fix what isnt broken? Why do these devs put their hardcore fans through these emotions and feelings that simply shouldnt be had?
>>
>>29621034
>The models would have better idle animations on better hardware. If they were moving around all the time the 3DS would explode.
That is not how video games work. The reason why XY, ORAS, and SM often chug during Pokémon battles isn't because of the animations being strenuous, but because of the sheer amount of polygons that are on screen because GF decided to just future-proof the models without caring whether or not they ran well on the current hardware. The fact that most of the idle animations are uninteresting is due to laziness, not hardware.
>>
They just need a better color

and lmao, a still picture more lively than a moving model?
>>
>>29621090
>I'm not just a fan, I'm a HARDCORE fan! Why doesn't anyone care about how I feel!?

How about you start by not being so entitled? Series as popular as Pokemon or Final Fantasy are designed with broad appeal in mind, not what a particular subset of their fans want.
>>
>>29620357
>beat
>>
File: image.png (454KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
454KB, 640x1136px
The 3DS is actually shit and things will be much better when we move for the next console.
>>
>>29619985
You can not say sprites were better, and have for the example the Charizard sprite with the noodle neck that connects to the jaw rather than the cranium
>>
>>29622737
Go uses the same models as XYORAS SM. Even Pokken uses them for support mon.
>>
File: 120.gif~c200.gif (119KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
120.gif~c200.gif
119KB, 200x200px
>>29620369
Most of the really bad ones weren't from that gen.
>>
I wish they never took the 3D route. Every time I see a pre-3DS game I just don't know why they took such a strange turn.
>>
File: Typhlosion_HGSS_2.png (962B, 80x80px) Image search: [Google]
Typhlosion_HGSS_2.png
962B, 80x80px
>>29619985
3D models are shit, GF needs to improve them
They fucked up my bro
>>
>>29619985
What is Spatial visualization ability.
Are you a girl op?
>>
File: turtwig.png (53KB, 500x310px) Image search: [Google]
turtwig.png
53KB, 500x310px
>Sprites in general had a much greater sense of life and personality in them
No you pompuous dick, they absolutely didn't.

The only flaws I've seen in the 3D models are washed colors and the perma-gliding animations for some of them, but the upsides make up for them.

Gen V's sprites might have looked cool back then but all they were was tweening, which is very cheap and unnatural when used as an "animation" """"style""". The models stood in place, moved up and down for 3 seconds, and then shook their arms/legs/head/etc. up and down for a while. All these motions weren't hand-made, they were just made by rotating or stretching different parts of the body.

The sprites have no real motions. There aren't any natural stretches, smears or any sense of proper anatomy in some of them (see >>29620742, which can't be excused because it's not a smear).

3D models were the only logical progress. Myfirst game was White but man, anybody who thinks sprites were better is either shitposting or an idiot who doesn't know what proper animation is.
>>
>>29623525
Just because animated sprites were a horrible mistake doesn't mean sprites can't be better than models. I'll take better aesthetics over motion personally in this kind of RPG. But I do acknowledge that the move to 3D was inevitable as they want to sell to the lowest common denominator who lacks nuance in their evaluation of things (e.g., 3D = better always!!)
>>
>>29623877
Not that anon, but I always wondered why only Crystal (and I think Emerald? There was another.) had actual animated sprites.
Would have been nice instead of the stretchy-twisty ones we kept getting instead.
>>
File: venusaur.png (100KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
venusaur.png
100KB, 200x200px
To be honest
>Gen 1 had awful sprites
>Gen 2 had some good sprites, but for every good sprite in Silver there's a crap one in Gold and vice versa, also lots of miscolorings
>Gen 3 and 4 were a rare peak in the series, sprites were actually pretty good all round
>Gen 5 had that fucking atrocious sprite scaling, zooming in during battles, and shitty pixelly upscale backsprites
>They couldn't possibly have stuck to 2D and not explored 3D on a console called the '3DS', Big Daddy Nintendo probably hammered down on them
It's not nearly as big of a problem as people make it out to be. A fair few of the 3D models kind of suck but that's been the case for Pokemon sprites during most of its lifespan. This was inevitable, and although I think Gen 3 and 4's sprites are awesome, I would take the current style of graphics over Gen 1, 2 or 5's battle graphics any day of any week.
>>
>>29623877
I'm well aware that good sprites can be better than models. I just find it unbelievable people actually think what we got in gen V was better than what we've got in VI
>>
>>29624067
>Gen 3
>a peak

Literally 70% of the new Pokemon are off model and about 50% of the old ones, too.
>>
File: 5atlAX5.gif (103KB, 99x117px) Image search: [Google]
5atlAX5.gif
103KB, 99x117px
>>29623145
I'm salty about Blastoise and Typhlosion. Why did they have to do that to my childhood favorites?
>>
File: image.png (914B, 56x56px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
914B, 56x56px
HAAH
WAAW
>>
>>29624161
Gen 5 looks better. I get so bored looking at Gen 6 at play.
>>
>>29624686
>bored at staring at feasibly moving Pokemon
>>
>>29624067
Gen 3 sprites were complete garbage 60% of the time. Crystal sprites were great.
>>
>>29624750
>feasibly moving
I don;t see how the fact that it's plausible the Pokémon can move (which is what feasible means) is somehow a trait incompatible with being boring.
>>
>>29619985
>liking sprites
spotted the dicklet cuck
>>
>>29620434

I still think the sprite is better
>>
File: shinymagmortar.gif (108KB, 102x89px) Image search: [Google]
shinymagmortar.gif
108KB, 102x89px
I think the 3d models actually improved some pokemon
and as >>29620043 greentexted, comparing two different mediums is silly especially gen V's atrocious animations
>>
>>29619985
Sprites were designed to look good in 1 static, dynamic pose. The 3D models are supposed to be viewed while moving, not in shitty screenshots. They look significantly better in game.

These threads are fucking dumb but I always get baited into replying so maybe I'm fucking dumb too.
>>
File: stunfisk.gif (566KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
stunfisk.gif
566KB, 500x376px
>>29626243
I finally figured out Stunfisk's gimmick only after the switch to 3D. Some things just can't be fully expressed with sprites alone.
>>
>>29624825
>liking 3D just because it's 3D
Found the 10 year old
>>
File: 1478116792393.gif (438KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1478116792393.gif
438KB, 200x200px
Zekrom is so much better in sprite form
>>
>>29624067
>A fair few of the 3D models kind of suck but that's been the case for Pokemon sprites during most of its lifespan.
The difference is that, with sprites, the next generation would bring a new set of sprites, which meant that Pokémon with shitty sprites would get a second chance at looking decent.

The models, however, are future-proofed, and so won't be replaced for multiple CONSOLE generations, if at all. Pokémon like Delphox that got shitty idle animations and poses have no chance for change, and are just screwed.
>>
File: ludicolo.gif (93KB, 110x90px) Image search: [Google]
ludicolo.gif
93KB, 110x90px
>>29626654
SM and the sequels/third version will be the last games to use these 3D models. GF will change everything for Pokemon Switch
>>
yeah but the sprites are in like action poses. If you used imagery of the 3D models using a move it wouldn't look anywhere near as lifeless.
>>
>>29626672
[Citation needed]
>>
File: os.gif (897KB, 500x245px) Image search: [Google]
os.gif
897KB, 500x245px
>>29626594
If you think the wings and arm lines look ok with how the aliasing works (or doesn't work) you must be blind.

Tweening "sprites" like BW did can look gorgeous (See: Odin Sphere), but not with such low resolutions that Pokemon sprites were handling. If they were ever to do pin-animation again, I'd hope they'd use drawn art rather than pixeled art.
>>
>>29626654
Not really, they could use the same rig and just re-animate those pokémon.
I don't think they will, but they could.
>>29626672
Thats just stupid.
The whole point of having absurdly high poligon count models is not doing that.
>>
>>29620357
>beat
>>
>>29623071
I think that was his point
>>
The models are technically good. They are so ridiculously good the 3DS can't into them, then again, the 3DS is also a piece of shit of console.

The biggest issue is that GF thought that by just making super duper high quality model it's all that's needed. The models need to move, they need to have dynamic poses, they need charm and personality, they need, you know, MOVEMENT, because otherwise they feel like bland mannequins. Every single Pokemon is unique and yet all they have are generic poses and movements that don't take advantage or their unique traits. Just look at Blastoise, why doesn't it has one special animation for him to use his cannons? Why does he use his mouth for his attacks? It's stupid.

What makes me more sad is that Stadium, Coliseum and even PBR managed to do all those things right. GF is truly incompetent.
>>
>>29620978
Do yourself a favor and don't use the smogon rips
>>
>>29626874
>What makes me more sad is that Stadium, Coliseum and even PBR managed to do all those things right.
By doing everything wrong?
Have you seen how miscolored and polygonal those models are? Not to mention in battle they don't show any of that personality until they die.
>>
>>29621111
So we're gonna be getting the same 3D models for years and years instead of new ones each generation?
>>
>>29626874
>. The models need to move, they need to have dynamic poses, they need charm and personality, they need, you know, MOVEMENT
They do you dumbass. Literally every model you see posted here only uses the idle animation which loops for the pokedex meaning you won't see any additional animations the pokemon has.
>>
>>29623071
Yeah but the models don't look good in Go; the cel shading style used in XYORASSM is more more visually appealing
>>
>>29626960
>Have you seen how miscolored
I'm not talking about the 3DS models here.

>and polygonal those models are?
Woah, are you telling me 18, 13 and 10 years old models are WORSE than the ones we've got today? Holy shit anything, you made an amazing discovery. They truly are incompetent for not having today's technology back then and using it on their games.

>>29626980
>They do you dumbass.
But we are not seeing it during the battles. That's the complaint everyone has. Why aren't they using them during battles when that's where we'll be seeing the Pokemon 99% of the time?
>>
The 3d models look awful and the sprites were far better. Not perfect, but better.
>>
>>29623071
That's what I was saying, anon.
>>
>>29619985
>They're so lifeless and boring
When you compare static images? No shit. The 3D models have multiple idle animations and attack animations that put them far above sprites. Get over it
>>
>>29619985
Seeing /vp/ defend this is utterly disgusting
>>
>>29626968
The models are future proof. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the models. What you people actually have a problem with is the animation of said models or the lack thereof.

It can't be denied that the animations of certain pokemon models are less that desirable, but if I had to do multiple sets of animations for over 700+ models, I'd get lazy in certain places too.

It's a shame, but just like the hardware, developers have limits as well. I would still prefer this over inaccurate 2D sprites any day of the week.

Stop living in the past.
>>
the transition to 3D was rocky, but they'll get better

after all, are you forgetting how shitty the first generation of Pokemon Sprites were?

The backs of the mons didn't even look like them. See: Rhyhorn, Charmeleon, and Nidoqueen for example.
>>
>>29627131
Gamefreak has had 20 years to get better at programming and developing and still shows zero signs of doing so. I cry every day because it was Gamefreak of all companies that struck this goldmine instead of devs that actually knew how to program and actually cared about making good games.
>>
File: zekrom.gif (200KB, 116x136px) Image search: [Google]
zekrom.gif
200KB, 116x136px
>>29626594
the sprite has a cool glowing gimmick, but the model looks much nicer
>>
File: 1463541466891.gif (987KB, 500x262px) Image search: [Google]
1463541466891.gif
987KB, 500x262px
>>29627142

The level of stupidity in this post is too much.
>>
>>29627151
Are you implying Gamefreak are good developers?
>>
>>29627142

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaWNOAWIerU
>>
>>29627131
>they'll get better
How naive can you be? This is GF we're talking about.
>>
>>29627163
Apart from XY having a bad framerate, what have they done that shows they're bad developers?
>>
>>29627142
>zero signs
Looks like somebody has forgotten how buggy the older games were
>>
>>29627184
>what have they done that shows they're bad developers?

How about being so shit at programming that during GS originally only had Johto but Iwata came and in less than a week compressed and reworked everything so hard that game size went down in half which is the only reason Kanto in the game?
>>
>>29627204
>one of their first games they made 15 years ago when they were amateur devs means they're bad programmers today
You may be retarded
>>
File: saltyadventure.png (86KB, 500x179px) Image search: [Google]
saltyadventure.png
86KB, 500x179px
>>29627204
>Criticizing a developer this harshly when they were that new into a brand new IP.

Everyone starts somewhere anon. Try harder.
>>
>>29627204
1) source on that please 2) GS was made by literally 4 developers, basing your judgement of the entire modern team on that is kinda stupid
>>
>>29627180
They have though. Playing Red again on the virtual console reminded just how much better the modern games are in almost every way.
>>
>>29620357
>beat
>>
>>29627227
>1) source on that please
The Iwata thing is super common knowledge. How new are you?
>>
>>29619985
3D was definitely a mistake. I don't know how people can defend it.

>take up more memory
>shit up the frame-rate
>look stiff
>look too big for the battle stage
>some lazy lack of depth (inside claws, holes, etc)
>fire looks like shit
>no cool extras like hippowdon's sand, etc.
>transluscency and glowing lights, are almost impossible

BW sprites were definitely shit though. Pokemon looked its best in HG/SS.
>>
>>29627270
>I don't know how people can defend it.
I wonder how Gamefreak manages to have such dedicated drones. I honestly have never seen any other franchise have such dedicated no-standard shills.
>>
>>29627270
>transluscency and glowing lights, are almost impossible
I could have worded this better tbqh. I was mostly thinking of Zekrom and Reshiram's effects.
Transluscency is easier in 3D though.
>>
File: 1467681299314.gif (33KB, 166x192px) Image search: [Google]
1467681299314.gif
33KB, 166x192px
>>29627281

And yet you're still going to buy the games anyway.
>>
>>29627265
Depends what you consider new, I've been on this board since 2013 (playing since like 2003). I've never heard that before and unless somebody can give me proof other than "everybody knows it" I'll consider is bullshit.
>>
>>29627281
>I honestly have never seen any other franchise have such dedicated no-standard shills.
Sonic maybe.
Perhaps the fur-autism creates a special brand of drone.
>>
>>29627281
I've never seen so many people continue to buy games that they're certain will be shit from a developer they're adamant is incompetent.
>>
>>29619985
>tfw OP states an opinion as a fact and is a massive faggot
>>
>>29627298
>>29627322
Gotta love this non-argument.

Do you think the money one spends on something directly correlates to its entertainment value and overall quality?
Or if you spend money on something, you're not allowed to criticize it? Surely the opposite is true.
>>
>>29627270
The problem isn't that it's in 3D.

There are two main problems: the hardware (3DS is a piece of shit hardware), and GameFreak's programming skills (or lack thereof).

3D itself isn't inherently bad. There are plenty of other games in 3D that are far more competent than Pokemon.
>>
>>29622737
GO graphics are actually easier to include, that kind of shading requires less power than the stylized one they went for.
>>
>>29627327
>Arguing with strangers over the internet

Anon, I think you may be autistic.
>>
>>29627299
So you're a newfag who can't Google and doesn't know anything about anything.

Also:
>playing since like 2003
Fuck off, kid.
>>
>>29626874
>he still thinks it's the 3DS's fault that the game lags

GF just needs better encoders
>>
>>29627340
(You)
>>
>>29627298
I have literally not bought a Pokemon game since Emerald. I've pirated every single one of them since them. Try harder next time but I can see why that would be hard for you with Masuda's cock on your ass 24/7.
>>
>>29624212
It should look like that in battle but have the flames out in Amie/Refresh.
>>
>>29627327
I absolutely think you can and should criticize things you spend money on. What I find bizarre is that so many people on this board say that they've hated every game since HGSS, are totally convinced that the series is only getting worse, and yet still frequent this board and are still going to buy the new games. If I hadn't enjoyed a franchise for 6 years I think I would leave it.
>>
>>29627356
What's so hard to comprehend about someone enjoying a franchise in general but disliking the way it's handled? Besides, there's so much other things you can talk and discuss of Pokemon besides the games.
>>
>>29627356
>If I hadn't enjoyed a franchise for 6 years I think I would leave it.
Well not everyone is like that.
An equally valid viewpoint would be saying that since they enjoyed it so much in the past, they keep sticking with it in the hopes it gets better.
>>
File: 1444689105379.gif (443KB, 400x296px) Image search: [Google]
1444689105379.gif
443KB, 400x296px
>>29627351

Wew lad, I knew you were mad, but I had no idea you were this ass blasted.

This was fun. Stay mad man-child.
>>
>>29627327
As much as I hate that argument, it's not a non-argument. It's legitimate.

If you're spending money on a product, that means that to some extent, you desire or require it.

Since video games are a want and not a need, it's a desire, which means that if you continue to act like the product is not worth your time and money but continue to buy each subsequent product in that line, you are being hypocritical.

Now, that isn't to say you can't be critical of something you're paying money for, but I think we've all (GameFreak shills aside) felt a little hypocritical buying recent Pokemon games when we simultaneously complain about certain things that STILL aren't fixed, or shit that gets removed.

It's not necessarily about the correlation between how much money you spend on something versus how much enjoyment you get from that thing, but more so about how much of the product you actually dislike versus how much of it you like and whether or not it's worth the asking cost to you on a personal level.
>>
>>29627368
>lol u mad xD
Ebin.
>>
>>29627362
What that anon is trying to say is that the hate and rage is so very loud and over-the-top, making it seem very disproportionate when compared to sales numbers (and the fact that the same people who complain still buy the games and play them as much as everyone else).

But you can totally enjoying something in general and dislike the way it's handled, and you can totally be critical of something you're spending money on. It's about keeping the criticism proportionate to the enjoyment, etc.
>>
>>29627342
I did in fact Google it, and I found a reddit post with no source and an listicle on some random site with no source. Give me an interview or something concrete.

>kid
>9 in 2003
>22
>>
>>29619985
>pokemon sun and pokemon moon have shit models
>pokemon twilight/eclipse has updated poses
>d/p remakes have these poses too
>>
>>29627351
Whilst it IS a vicious circle, by not spending money on newer games, you are not supporting the franchise. That means that anyone with your shitty mindset is not contributing to the sales of the franchise and the amount of revenue that could be generated leading to better things in the future is lower than it could be.

You might say "but I'm just one person", but there are a lot of people with your mentality.

And yes, GameFreak is still shit at programming, but that's besides the point.
>>
>>29627382
So when you criticize the 3D models, you should include a caveat in every post saying how much you like the music or the waifumons or the metagame or whatever?

The problem with this thread is that people are seeing someone hate on shitty 3D, and thinking that they hate everything about the franchise.
That's why "lol u gunna buy it xD" is a non-argument.
>>
>>29627364
Yes but I was specifically referencing the people who both dislike the current path of the franchise AND are convinced that gamefreak isnt going to change
>>
>>29619985
Charizard only really have bad coloring in the model.
>>
>>29627382
It's easier to bitch than to praise.

99% of the people who buy these games won't ever get into the internet to talk about it too. What you see on the internet is the minority, the most hardcore and dedicated one usually, and it'll obviously seem bigger than what it truly is because you spend so much more time on it than the average person.

>>29627389
So you are also shit at google then? You are such a kid anon.
>>
>That means that anyone with your shitty mindset is not contributing to the sales of the franchise and the amount of revenue that could be generated leading to better things in the future is lower than it could be.
So which is it then?

Buy it so that Gamefreak gets money and makes better things? Or don't buy so that Gamefreak gets the message that they are doing something wrong and fix it in the future?
>>
File: index.jpg (7KB, 321x157px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
7KB, 321x157px
>>29627270
JUST
>>
>>29627410
Insulting me instead of providing the source that is apparently so easy to find accomplishes what, exactly?
>>
>>29627389
Then you didn't Google it very well because he stated it in an Iwata Asks segment. Retard.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-Asks/Iwata-Asks-Pokemon-HeartGold-Version-SoulSilver-Version/Iwata-Asks-Pokemon-HeartGold-Version-SoulSilver-Version/3-Just-Being-President-Was-A-Waste-/3-Just-Being-President-Was-A-Waste--225951.html
>compression tools

Also:
>started playing Pokemon at the age of 9
What are you, fucking retarded? Were your parents Amish?
>>
>>29627401
I don't think you understand, anon. I'm saying that at a certain point, it's extending beyond criticism. When half the threads are "THIS IS SHIT AND HERE'S WHY", it's no longer about just giving caveats for other things you like (but sure, caveats would be nice these days just because it's hard to tell when someone is giving criticism or when they're just butthurt).

Sure, OP didn't say they hated EVERYTHING, but complaining about 3D being "a mistake" starts to engulf a whole generation (about to be two generations) of games, and it's not a stretch to assume there's more to come.

What I'm saying is that a civilised criticism would be a more open-ended argument. State your opinion, sure, but don't be so heavy handed where you come out swinging and antagonise people. It's all about the wording and the approach. OP did a poor job, and you don't seem to have the special skills to understand it (unless you ARE OP, which would make sense).

TL;DR I already explained why it is not a non-argument so your argument is invalid.
>>
>>29627410
Of course, but that doesn't mean it seems disproportionate, and the vocal minority is, in this case, important because they're typically the ones actually giving feedback, rather than the mindless drones who buy the games, play them, and never utter a word about them.
>>
File: ass_levitation.jpg (56KB, 506x357px) Image search: [Google]
ass_levitation.jpg
56KB, 506x357px
>>29627438
See >>29627439
and then kill yourself because we're going to insult your retarded ass as much as you want.

If you're really an adult, then you should have a better fucking brain than... this.
>>
>>29627439
Yeah I found that, but that doesn't support the claim that was being made. "Wrote the compression tools" =/= "came in and compressed everything in a week when nobody else could"
Yes my parents were very wary of video games, particularly ones that I could bring anywhere. I was able to play games on our desktop because it was in the living room so they could make sure I wasn't spending too much time on it, but they were concerned that I could take a gameboy into my room and stay up all night playing. Which, to be fair, I totally did once they finally caved and got me one.
>>
File: 1402155675562.png (39KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1402155675562.png
39KB, 300x300px
>>29627457
>3D is a mistake
>TRIGGERED, DON'T ANTAGONIZE ME, YOU MUST HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT THE GENERATION
Sorry pal but 3D was a mistake, and that's all I'm arguing about. I'm not OP either, but they only mentioned 3D vs sprites too.

If you don't want to be hurt by opinions you don't like, I'm sure there are plenty of other website out there for you to enjoy.
>>
>>29627432
>He actually thinks Hippowdon always has sand coming out of it.
>>
File: parasect.png (720B, 56x56px) Image search: [Google]
parasect.png
720B, 56x56px
Can we all agree that Parasect looks worse and worse in every generation?
>>
>>29627468
My parents were similar except I still started playing the games earlier than that because I was resourceful, which you clearly aren't.

To be fair, that other anon was wrong: he rewrote the battle system for Stadium from scratch in a week. I don't know if we've ever officially got a time frame for the compression tools, but he did it relatively quickly. Just look at some of the other things he did - it's not a stretch.
>>
>>29627497
It should always have sand inside it, even if it's not creating a sandstorm with it. The model NEVER has any sand. It's fucking trash.
It's just a blob with four straight legs and no hint of articulation. Also you can tell the holes are just shallow pits.

I'm using one in my Y nuzlocke and I hope it dies.
>>
>>29627484
Thanks for putting words in my mouth and telling me that I'm triggered. I never knew I had those thoughts or that I was triggered by your stupid comments! News to me, that's for sure.

Anyway, to your point... oh wait, your point was childish and stupid and you can continue to misunderstand the points that I make. Oh well, guess I'll stop trying to explain it to you. It's a shame we have newfag redshit-tier users here these days. The oldfag cancer was at least an improvement over your kind. Somehow.
>>
>>29627549
>don't be so heavy handed where you come out swinging and antagonise people. It's all about the wording and the approach.
Sounds triggered to me.
My arguments against 3D are still there if you want to address them, or you can carry on trying to distract people with nonsense about the language they should use.

>Am I fitting in yet?
Sad.
>>
>>29627532
>I was resourceful, which you clearly aren't
I'm not sure what you would expect me to do as a child with no money. Yes I had friends who had the games/systems, but they treasured them too much to loan them to me. If you want to include the small amounts that I played while at friends' houses / recess then you could say that I started playing Pokémon at 5, but I don't really count that.
>>
>>29627497
It's ability is Sand Stream. You know, the ability that creates instant sandstorms regardless of location? If not all the time, then at least most of the time, it should have sand. But the 3d model pretty much never has any sand.
>>
>>29619985
It's not the models it's the animations.
>>
>>29627581
>Sounds triggered to me.
Oh yay, another faggot that doesn't even know the meaning of the words he uses.
>My arguments against 3D are still there if you want to address them
I don't, since that's not what I'm here to discuss.
>or you can carry on trying to distract people with nonsense about the language they should use.
If you had reading comprehension skills of which you continue to prove you don't, you wouldn't need to write this and make yourself look stupid.
> >Am I fitting in yet?
>Sad.
I've been here for many years, but okay, thanks for your reddit-tier quality. Keep up the good work. Soon, /vp/ will just be /r/pokemon... if it isn't already. Ain't that fucking sad.
>>
>>29627689
>I don't, since that's not what I'm here to discuss
Then why exactly are you in this thread? It's specifically about 3D models vs sprites.
>reading skills
>of which
I'm not even the anon you're replying to but you're just making yourself look bad
>>
>>29627337
3DS is a shitty piece of hardware, but I think GF could definitely utilize it better. I was playing Layton 6 last night and realized how good looking a 3DS game can be. I know it's not a good comparison, but still.
>>
File: 1477555095733.png (201KB, 609x787px) Image search: [Google]
1477555095733.png
201KB, 609x787px
>>29619985
>GF could have easily paid an animation studio to do simple idle animations for all pokemon
Hand drawn 2d is timeless and will still look good 10 years from now. Meanwhile these 3d models already look inferior to the 2d sprites of gen 4.

Sad times
>>
File: 1477158741034.gif (1MB, 288x198px) Image search: [Google]
1477158741034.gif
1MB, 288x198px
>tfw Game freak will never go back to 2D sprites
>mfw faggots will never get over this and stay mad forever.
>>
I'm alright with the 2D Charizard sprite, its a bit different to any other version. The 3D one is more accurate though.
That 3D Ledian looks much better.
And that 3D Tyranitar looks fat as fuck
But the colours are definitely too faded in 3D.
>>
>>29627339
It also looks like shit
Cel shading or bust
>>
Actually, the 3D versions you showed are stretched... baka, 3D is way better, more realistic seeing them move..
>>
3D is a necessary evil.
The old 2d sprites looked dynamic because they had to be or else they would look more bland than the 3d models do. And there are simply some 3d models that CAN'T be as dynamic as the sprites or else they would look even more retarded. Like how the fuck would you make Politoad dynamic without it looking like it's been smoking crack?

The trip to 3d has been rocky but it at least tells us that GF won't be stuck in the 90's for forever and are at the very least TRYING to keep up with recent technology.
>>
>>29619985
>sprites have more life than 3D models

I wish people would stop sprouting this kind of pretentious bullshit just to validate themeselves by being a contrarian special snowflake
>>
File: 1453266406030.jpg (28KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
1453266406030.jpg
28KB, 375x375px
>>29626545
Hmmm... pancake...
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (3KB, 120x120px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
3KB, 120x120px
y r 3Dee moduls suc a shitt?
>>
>>29621111
>future proof

This.

If you've ever looked at the actual models from the 3DS games they're ridiculously high poly for the hardware. Given that there's 800+ monsters to model and animate, it's less likely laziness and more just time constraints compared to workload.

Animations will likely improve as gens go on until the redo models entirely.
>>
File: ho-oh 3d model.png (11KB, 154x120px) Image search: [Google]
ho-oh 3d model.png
11KB, 154x120px
It really depends on the pokemon.
But Ho-oh got fucking massacred in X and Y
>>
>>29626834
>Not really, they could use the same rig and just re-animate those pokémon.
I really wish they would pick a few mons each gen and change up their animations. The Pokémon in Sun and Moon have such evocative and energetic animations compared to what we got in Generation VI--almost certainly BECAUSE they only had to do 70-80 new models. Now that they only have to do a tenth of the modeling work each generation, it'd be nice to see.

And not just willy-nilly or anything. Let's say they started this in Gen VIII. In addition to making the new models and animating them, they could review the animations on Pokémon from previous generations that show up in the Gen VIII regional dex, and prioritize those for new animations. Then, in the next set of remakes, revisit the animations for the starters, legendaries, and prominent Pokémon first introduced in the games being remade.
>>
File: 1454736501467.gif (199KB, 192x192px) Image search: [Google]
1454736501467.gif
199KB, 192x192px
>>29631565
Flying pokemon got the short end of the stick after aquatic pokemon
>>
File: 1457072305572.gif (63KB, 116x64px) Image search: [Google]
1457072305572.gif
63KB, 116x64px
>>29631667
My gen 2 bro got ruined
>>
>>29631520
>have a great computer that can run most games at 1080p 60 fps
>get citra and pokemon X
>set everything to maximum
>computer struggles trying to fucking render pokemon with several thousand fucking polys

its insane how good the pokemon games look when rendered in HD. switch cant come soon enough
>>
>>29626983
I respect your opinion, but completely disagree.
>>
>>29631565
How the fuck does that look bad
>>
Who fucking cares?

Jesus Christ you spritefags are such crybabies.
>>
File: ho-oh sprite.png (2KB, 96x96px) Image search: [Google]
ho-oh sprite.png
2KB, 96x96px
>>29631767
Compared to the sprite it's bland and looks washed out
>>
File: IMG_0605.png (582KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0605.png
582KB, 960x720px
Honestly, the Gen V sprites would probably look a lot better if they had more original frames than tweened ones. Tweening, as shown by the fuck-deep amount of shitty Flash cartoons in the present, is economical but generally terrible in the art department. That said, they should probably give the models a couple more idle animations. It'd be kind of cool if they gave them ones that change depending on their health or status to show their weakened state in unique ways instead of just slowing them down, along with reintroducing the blue tint for when they get frozen and stopping them from having animations entirely instead of having their hurt animations play because it kind of looks weird.

Oh yeah, on the subject of models somebody made this a while ago. They changed the models' palettes to be their Gen V/anime ones, their normal Gen VI ones, and in the middle is a midpoint mix between the two which probably look the best IMO.
>>
>>29631917
Not really?

Ho-oh also looks fantastic in 3D when moving. Actually, this is the case for a lot of big legendaries since sprites don't do their size justice.
>>
>>29627497
I think its just standing up in the sprite, so it still has some sand that previously covered it pouring out.
>>
I'm happy to trade a single piece of cool art for battle animations and personality in Pokémon-Amie
You seem to think the 3D models were intended to be viewed in a static screenshot.
Thread posts: 175
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.