[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>It's a "/vp/ thinks a 4x weakness is ever relevant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: 1472232409691.png (247KB, 634x671px) Image search: [Google]
1472232409691.png
247KB, 634x671px
>It's a "/vp/ thinks a 4x weakness is ever relevant when it comes to a Pokémon's viabiloty" thread
>It's a "/vp/ thinks that a new Pokémon that can counter a Pokémon that's been established as a competitive staple means that said staple will no longer be a staple" thread
>It's a "/vp/ acts like they're above competitive battling, the very thing that made the franchise what it is and what it has always been about" thread
>It's a "/vp/ shit talks a competitive format without actually understanding it" thread
>>
>>29610399
most of /vp/ are sub-1100 shitters or Battle Spot players.

they don't know shit about competitive or how it works, they just shit out Verlis opinions even though they make no sense
>>
File: Screenshot_20161006-175127.jpg (288KB, 733x762px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161006-175127.jpg
288KB, 733x762px
>it's another "/vp/ complains about more bullshit"
>>
File: kek4.png (47KB, 200x176px)
kek4.png
47KB, 200x176px
>it's another "I'm new to /vp/ why does everyone complain about everything?" episode
>>
>>29610399
>it's a horribly forced /tv/ meme thread
I just want you to know that I'm hiding your thread OP
>>
>>29610399
>It's a "/vp/ starts to tier Pokemon based on design, its type, and some abilities it has instead of waiting until we know everything about the Pokemon or the new meta" thread
>>
>>29610399
>It's another 'competitivefag acting like they're better when all they do is use cookie cutter teams' episode
>half the player base doesn't do competitive yet he still thinks that's what pokémon is only about
>>
>>29610399
>competitive battling, the very thing that made the franchise what it is and what it has always been about
>competitivefags actually believe this
>>
>>29610399
Competitive/VGC is such a niche though.

mostly half of the playerbase base were astounded upon hearing that there is actually a World Championship for Pokemon
>>
>>29610594
I hope they advertise them ingame somehow.
>>
>>29610399
>>a 4x weakness is ever relevant when it comes to a Pokémon's viabiloty
I just wanted to know
who's the best Pokémon with the least weaknesses then?
>>
>>29610621
Klefki
>>
>>29610621
In what way negro, good pokemon with few/no weaknesses or just pokemon with no weaknesses. Because eelektross exists.
>>
>>29610605
They have in sneaky ways in the past, I remember one man talking in japanese about worlds in pokemon X I think it was.
>>
>>29610621
Mega Sableye
>>
File: Duo_gameboy.jpg (7KB, 250x166px) Image search: [Google]
Duo_gameboy.jpg
7KB, 250x166px
>>29610554
>>
>>29610868
>>29610868

This had me wondering tho, was there any record of competitive tournaments and such during the days of Gen I?
>>
>>29611008
I saw one on YouTube in Japanese. Pretty much what you'd expect from mechanic abusing.
>>
>>29610868
Multiplayer isn't the same thing as competitive, and if you seriously think it was competitive that caused Poké Mania, you're underage.
>>
>>29610399
>that a new Pokémon that can counter a Pokémon that's been established as a competitive staple means that said staple will no longer be a staple
except for it happens like every new generation?
>>
>>29611087
That's probably the reason.

There really weren't any competitive tournaments overseas during those days.

According to this website post: http://nuggetbridge.com/blogs/entry/1391-a-history-of-japanese-competitive-pokemon-1996-and-1997/

Japanese kids were the ones to experience first-hand the earliest known competitive.

so the OP's
>the very thing that made the franchise what it is and what it has always been about

is probably true, but for the Japanese.
>>
>>29610704
the "I can finish the game with my starter" kind of best
>>
>>29610421
>/vp/ opinions
>Verlis
>>
I think the worst offense is people who think quantity of weaknesses is remotely relevant

I bet 95% of this board thinks grass is a bad defensive type, when it's actually one of the best in the game.
>>
>>29610399

So what's more important; a type combination with the fewest weaknesses, or the most resistances?
>>
>>29612028
quality of resists and quality of STAB trumps all, a theoretical pokemon that resists dragon, fairy, normal, poison, steel, grass, ghost, dark, psychic and bug and has no weaknesses is worse than, say, a pure water pokemon or a pure flying pokemon with the same stats/ movepool
>>
>>29612002
>>29612146
what the fuck
>>
>>29611331
Nigger you can do that with a delibird.

>>29612002
Entirely depends on the role.
Pivots and fast offensive mons that don't spend too long on the field at any one time tend to not give a heck. They prefer many resists, which grass and rock ironically provide despite the weaknesses (and why ice is and always will be the worst).
Bulky offence and (certain) setup sweepers do care about having a lot of weaknesses as they need to not die to random nonstab coverage moves. Eg: abomasnow compared to azumarill. Hoopa or kabutops compared to clefable or scizor.
Things that fly in the face of this (breloom) tend to have some massive upside (spore).

Also this >>29612146
>>
>>29612231
>(and why ice is and always will be the worst).
normal is worse

the reason ice mons suck so bad is because they almost all have batshit retarded stat spreads. notice how the one ice mon in the game with good offensive stats (weavile) actually does well

normal types on the other hand can only function with completely broken stats (arceus, chansey, pory2 - who is still pretty bad) or abilities (megamom, pory-z who is also pretty bad)

snorlax used to fall into the former catergory but even that sucks now, which is crazy when you think about how good its stat spread is for bulky attacker

a ghost immunity means absolutely nothing (gengar's shadow ball is literally the only ghost move in OU), fighting weakness sucks, it gets literally no other resists and normal STAB is generally the worst STAB in the game except for megalop who is really saved by her secondary typing and scrappy
>>
>>29612448
>Chansey and Porygon2 have broken stats
>Porygon Z has a broken ability
Here is your (You). Stopped reading after that bullshit.
>>
>>29612491
>what is eviolite

Porygon2 has the equivalent of base ~150 in each defence, it's about as bulky as Cresselia

If you don't understand why Chansey's stat spread is broken you're retarded. If it was even a half-decent type it would be permanently uber

Adaptability is in the broken zone and it's only because Pory-Z has awful base speed and the worst STAB in the game that it can't exploit it
>>
>>29612600
>worst STAB in the game
haha no that goes to poison or bug, solid effort though.
>>
>>29610621
Probably >>29610732. Arceus-Normal if you count Ubers. Primal Groudon if you factor in abilities.
Conversely, the best Pokemon with the most weaknesses is Tyranitar.
>>29612448
I wouldn't say Normal is the worst STAB in the game. It's only resisted by/ineffective against three types and Normal-type moves can be relatively powerful to compensate. It's honestly a slightly worse Dragon offensively. Bug STAB and Poison STAB are worse.
>>
>>29614693
Why would you bump this thread?
>>
>>29615105
because it's really good :)
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.