[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pokemon Glazed is the first Romhack I've seen be mostly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 53

Pokemon Glazed is the first Romhack I've seen be mostly restrained and then fucking fly off the handle and plunge itself into shit. Having at first very few sins and then by the time you beat Tunod launching into the useless swear words, Arceus worshipping and other romhacking sins. I completed it more so I never had to play it again than it being any fun anymore.

Are there any romhacks that don't break the cardinal sins while being more substantial than just an "All Pokemon Avaliable" hack

The Cardinal Sins are

1. Absurd difficulty curve that leaves your team hurting after the first fight of every route necessitating endless running back and forth between the Pokemon Center with no idea of what a balanced game is.
2. Endless rivals, each more forgettable than the last only existing so you have more unique trainers to fight, none of whom are likable.
3. Pointless swearing. Nothing takes me out of the Pokemon experience like characters pointlessly saying Fuck
4. Edgelords and Edgelord based accessories.
5. Stupid pokemon placement with no adjustments made to accommodate the change. Golurk is cool, I agree, but making him one of the first Pokemon available while leaving his evolution in the 50's is just going to make him drop off from relevance. This is especially prevalent in "All Pokemon" hacks. Here's 5 Pokeballs also the first route has 12 new Pokemon also we haven't adjusted the cash curve to accommodate for this.
6. Arceus as a God, Characters saying "Arceus dammit" or similarly praising the Pokegod. Deifying legendaries in short.
>>
pokemon reborn :^)
>>
Don't forget those ROMs that have no sense of guiding the player and leaving a lot up to assumption and reading between the lines.
>>
>>29607735
I said that DON'T break the cardinal sins. Not that thrive on them.
>>
>>29607720
>Arceus as a God, Characters saying "Arceus dammit" or similarly praising the Pokegod.
You do realize Arceus IS God in their universe, right? They even have a fucking church in the Sinnoh region.
>>
File: IMG_0144.jpg (20KB, 478x361px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0144.jpg
20KB, 478x361px
>>29607755
>>
>>29607774
Yes and point out one character in all of Pokemon that uses Arceus in their speech in the way a person in the real world says "God damn it" or "Oh God"

It's fucking retarded
>>
1 and 5 are easily solved with edited Pokemart and money curves.

Cheaper Pokeballs and healing items are a must on those hacks. I like one hack's solution which is making Sacred Ash cheap and Revive REALLY expensive, so that you can easily revive your entire party with full HP when going through a route, but can't spam revive and trivialize battles.
>>
File: 2duw285[1].png (23KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
2duw285[1].png
23KB, 240x160px
>>29607720
Liquid crystal. it's a remake of crytal with subplots and post-post-game in the orange islands (crystal onyx is catchable by the way).

There is also some decent "barely hacked" roms like fire red evolution or theta emerald wich are just regular game with more pokemons.
>>
>>29607774
I take everything the pokedex says with a grain of salt due to the huge number of things that just couldn't be true in it for pokemon that aren't claimed to be gods. Gods don't let you keep them in a ball for your own amusement, but a pokemon that was once worshiped might
>>
>>29607818
Oh speaking of, part of the fucking hilarity with Glazed's post game is "you can't capture legendaries you'll upset nature!" While I have a box of like 16 legendaries, and afterwards can catch the same legendaries everyone else caught and not upset any balance.
>>
>>29607774
So are you saying "God damnit" every 5 seconds?
>>
>>29607830
Well you can have Giratina by that point so he isn't wrong.
>>
I've heard good things about Pokemon Gaia, but I've never played it, so I can't say. It seems pretty professional from the screenshots though.
>>
>>29607842
It's good, but only goes up to the 6th badge at the moment.
>>
>>29607831
It's more like saying "yahweh damnit"
>>
Also dialog like this
>>
Looking at hacks like Pokemon Dark Rising and 1158's hacks (Victory Fire, Resolute) made me realize Pokecommunity's standards are fucking dog shit.
>>
>>29607887
That is foul. At least use asterisks.
>>
Oh, Fuck! Cardinal Sin No.7 Having Ash Ketchum show up!

I'd also consider No.8 Roadblocking with no common sense.

Motherfucker, I am INVADING Pius's lair, why do I have to listen to you saying I can't go in? You aren't in my way, you aren't battling me, it's just "Sorry fuck off"
>>
>>29607914
No.9 The player fights against the boss of the team, defeats them in battle only for the boss to accomplish their goal anyway. People bring up sometimes Maxie/Archie fleeing from their hideout in the sub, but you're specifically being stalled by an Admin, it would be like Archie being there, fighting you then going "Haha! I flee with the sub winning anyway!"
>>
>>29607720
I will always remember Glazed as "that ROM hack where the move Spore can be purchased as a TM"
THE ABSOLUTE MADMEN
>>
>>29607806
Worth playing, or should i just replay Heartgold?
>>
>>29607806
For me its worth playing. Because I dont have a DS and my phone isnt powerfull enough to run DS emulators correctly.
>>
>>29607720
>>29607914
>>29607932
Why not bitch to the creator about how shit their rom hack is instead of bitching to anons here?
>>
>>29608142
Because so long as there's a community who'll accept sub-standard shit with an open mouth and a relaxed throat, it's a waste of time.

I'd rather use this as a way to find new hacks that might actually be good than waste it talking to a brick wall.
>>
>>29607955
If you want the purest/closest thing to the orignal but for the GBA, then play Crystal Dust. It only goes up to the j pokemon league, however.
>>
>actually playing romhacks
Well the fuck you were expecting anyway? Nothing surprising in the obvious fact that autistic neets doing these understand absolutely nothing with game design
>>
File: Ash.png (302KB, 547x361px) Image search: [Google]
Ash.png
302KB, 547x361px
You should avoid Light Platinum since it already met one of the sin the first 5 minute into the game.
>>
>>29607783
>recommend me a game that doesnt do thing
>heres an infamous game that does thing hehe le cone face man
what were you hoping to get out of that?
>>
>>29607806
Didn't that game make your rival have a fucking groudon?
>>
>>29608305
Better than Zeta, where he shows up as a member of the evil organization as a failed grunt
>>
You should totally play snakewood, OP.
>>
>>29608774
Snakewood looks like shit.
>>
I just beat Tunod League. How shit does it become from here?
I don't remember too much about this game, was a long time since I played this. I remember the lighthouse challenge being fucking stupid and being constantly out of money
>>
>>29607842
Gaia is great, can't wait to see it finished.
>>
>>29608875
Okay so you get to Johto and run into this dude Pius, he's a bible thumper crazy man. Fusion is still around, Regina (the leaders wife) divorced him and took his team so she could capture Legendaries and stuff? You fight her a lot and never manage to actually stop her, also everyones a cunt and you get another Rival.

It basically leaps off a cliff and breaks its neck.

Also Regina gets the hots for Pius, their only interaction being "Holy shit that old bible thumper is hot."

You will become very fatigued by the end.

I just finished capturing all the legendaries.
>>
Are there good hacks with original stories?
>>
>>29607806
>staff self inserts
>Silver swearing at elm through the window at the start to the game

Other than those cringe moments it's a pretty good hack. I would have rather them use the newer sprites, but most aren't much of an issue.
>>
>>29607887
OwO, what's this?
*Unsheathes dong*
>>
>>29609459
Don't get horny, she's talking about a cunt with a Kyogre who dropped you into the sewer by taking over the Pokemon Center.

Since you can't cuck him it's pointless
>>
File: 1455070998584thehellwasthat.jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1455070998584thehellwasthat.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
>>29609484
>Eusine with Suicune
>E4
>>
>>29609526
The Johto Portion of the game.
>>
>>29609274
I wish I could say yes. You'd be hard pressed to find a hack with a coherent story let alone a good one.
>>
File: giphy.gif (841KB, 335x425px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
841KB, 335x425px
>>29608305
>world champion
>>
Rutile Ruby/Star Sapphire is probably one of the best gameplay-wise. The level curve from 5 at Littleroot to 100 at the E4 is amazingly smooth and the EXP Share almost feels like it was designed for that curve. The battles are generally well-designed within the constraints of Trainer specialties. The difficulty curve is somewhat wonky as the very first gyms are pretty hard while the last few become steadily easier as you gain access to viable movesets. Ace Trainers are some of the hardest fights in the game, easily surpassing the gym leaders and Elite Four.

The extremely cheap Sacred Ash is one of the best parts of the romhack, as it means that the creator could design random trainer battles that are meant to faint at least half if not more of your party without forcing the player to trudge back to the Pokemon Centre multiple times.
>>
>>29608826
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY
>>
File: jagold2.png (13KB, 512x136px) Image search: [Google]
jagold2.png
13KB, 512x136px
>>29607720
If you aren't playing difficulty hacks, or "vanilla+" hacks like Red++ and Polished Crystal that add/change a few things here or there but are still based on a canon game and have mostly that canon plot, you're kind of SoL when it comes to story. Most of the time when I play custom region hacks, I'm doing it with the expectation that the story will be laughably bad.

If you're looking for a laughably bad hack, play the Ruby Destiny trilogy. The middle game in that hack is so bad that the creator officially apologized for how bad it is in hindsight.

>Sin 1 is in the first and third game as well as the last dungeon of the second
>Sin 2 is somewhat in the first and goes full retard in the third
>Sin 3 is in all three
>Sin 4 is in all three
>Sin 5 is in the first and third (second doesn't let you catch Pokémon until the endgame)
>Sin 6 might not be in the trilogy, I can't remember, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was
>Sin 7 is in the first game, Ash is the Champion
>Sin 8 is in all three
>Sin 9 is in all three

It's really just a wonderful experience.
>>
>>29610320
I played the first game to a point forever ago.

It doesn't help that mentally I'm now too accustomed to the Phys/Spec split, and demand it in whatever I'm playing.
>>
>>29607806
Back when i played this a few years ago, it managed to "unhack" itself and it really fucked up. I still to this day don't know how this happened.
>>
>>29610536
Here
>>29607914
>>29607932
You know it's sitting back and looking at it that you realize that Gamefreak is actually really good devs.

Like you have Pokemon and it's a simple formula "How can you fuck it up?" and then all of these Romhacks basically go "Like this."
>>
>>29607720
The swearing thing always annoys me in fan games or fan translations. I don't have a problem with swearing, but if it doesn't fit, don't go out of your way to add it. Especially because it always goes overkill to the point of ridiculousness. Like "FUCKING CUNT SHIT" or whatever
>>
>>29609534
>hahaha get it guys she's tough because of her Miltank so now she's an E4 member

Oh my fucking god that's horrible
>>
>>29610698
Mhm, literally
>>
File: 1478040841854.jpg (78KB, 811x686px) Image search: [Google]
1478040841854.jpg
78KB, 811x686px
>>29610710
I'm scared to ask about the rest of the Elite 4.

But I'm willing to bet Silver is a member or the Champion
>>
>>29610730
Silver is a Gym Leader. Champion is Kris (not sure if Ethan if playing girl)
>>
>>29610745
Better than expected at least.

and nice Infernape name
>>
>>29610320
>Polished Crystal
this hack is my fucking jam, and I love that the creator gave the option to play a "faithful" version without stat/type changes
literally flawless
>>
>>29610767
Yeah polished crystal is fucking cool.
I've wanted to base some kind of demake onto it.
>>
>>29607830
What is this meme with Giratina being the devil. I get the theory and lore, but in every pokemon source movie, manga, game-wise Giratina is probably shown as one of the only god pokemon that seems to not harm humans or care. If anything this seems like another Hades mistaken for the Devil thing.
>>
File: image.gif (190KB, 388x278px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
190KB, 388x278px
Pokemon Gaia is possibly the closest you'll get to perfection.
>>
>>29608371
A laugh, heaven forbid we tell inside jokes
>>
>>29608142
the vocal minority like to vent to anonymous users
>>
>>29610761
The other E4 members are... Ivan, who is some russian dude who when you beat him refers to Napoleon and... Powell, who's some old lady who uses electric types.

Also Pryce retired as a gym leader and also worked for the villain team because "Muh healthcare"

>>29610805
See he looks evil so...
>>
>>29610946
>those shitty cardboard box pillars
I know this is a petty thing to complain about but the looks unfinished
>>
I just wanted to enjoy myself with a new pokemon before Sun/Moon came out.
>>
>>29611297
if you don't mind grinding and near-kaizo difficulty Vega is the most polished "new region" hack available
>>
>>29611305
I do mind. I consider it a very large sin to have an unbalanced level curve and difficulty who's only answer is Grinding.
>>
>>29610767
>literally flawless

If/When they fully implement two-byte Pokémon indexes and the author adds in the Pokémon he had to cut to make room for cross-gens, then it will be flawless. It's not finished yet though.
>>
>>29611305
>Vega was interesting and somewhat fun for the most part, though grindy
>then this battle comes along
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeH0x3-Bxuo
>>
>>29611354
>2016
>switch mode
well that is only the icing on the bullshit cake.
The two rival battles at the end of Victory road are much worse, also
>no revives
>>
Yeah OP, I'm convince. I will ignore Blazed now.
>>
>>29611788
It's sad, because it's technically well put together, and until the end of the first league (where most pokemon games would end their main story) it only ever missteps a few times. By Johto however it completely loses the plot and by Rankor it's just a carwreck.

It's sad, because it did a lot of things I like, 10 pokeballs off the bat, EXP share off the bat, good pacing and understanding of providing mons in the area for facing gyms (up to the final gym, which has Kirila in the caves all prepped for Gardevoir and the town has an EV training building.)

Like that's a solid region. And if the hack had concluded there, I would be happy with my 500 hour playtime.
>>
>>29607720
Vega seems pretty decent.
>>
File: brocha.png (94KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
brocha.png
94KB, 600x400px
are you asholes saying you having a problem with Pokemon: My Ass edition?
>>
>>29610698
I could actually see Gamefreak doing that for real

>>29610710
but not like this
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
>>29612417
>>
File: P4UKzjn.png (17KB, 512x383px) Image search: [Google]
P4UKzjn.png
17KB, 512x383px
>>
File: 1zb8boo.png (5KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
1zb8boo.png
5KB, 240x160px
>>
>>29608725
Ehhh.
Nah I give Zeta a pass with how much other stuff it got done alright, at least I can't remember if it broke the other sins, but the Ash cameo was just that, a cameo with zero impact on the story. It's different than having Ash be a major player in the game's story.
>>
>>29610810
It's also pretty boring and will never be finished.
>>
>>29608826
Don't worry, it is. Jesus fuck is it shit.
>>
>>29612625
It's got the pokeballs/money problem. The writing is cringy like Glazed's including the whole "Fight enemy team, have no impact."
>>
>>29609534
>Elite 4 Whitney
>Elite 4
>The bitch who broke down and cried after I beat her is a fucking Elite 4 member, on par with the likes of Bruno, Agatha, Lorelei, Will, Koga, and fucking Lance.
FUUUUCK THIIIIIIS GAAAAAAAAME
>>
>>29612682
Also the new Goldenrod Gym Leader is her sissy boyfriend who cries when you beat him, but you can't cuck him.

Also she interrupts Jasmine giving you the badge, leading you to basically run around all of Johto and earn 3+ badges before Jasmine finally gives you the Mineral badge.
>>
>>29607774
The church doesn't worship Arceus. The church is even titled "foreign building" in the JP version. Arceus is also obscure even in Sinnoh, people are more likely to venerate Palkia/Dialga than Arceus in the modern era. The mysterious Hiker who tells you about the plates and Cynthia are the only ones that seem to even know about Arceus, and even the books just call Arceus the Original One. But it's not venerated the same way Palkia/Dialga explicitly are.
>>
Okay, I'm curious. What is the VERY WORST romhack? Is there one that takes home the gold medal in terrible in every way?
>>
>>29612897
well, I'd honestly say Snakewood. The story is utter garbage, jumping from a zombie apocalypse to four horsemen apocalypse to a fucking "oh I know i'm in a video game" story line. Your main driving force behind the game is to find your brother, who is apparently the champion, and save him, and the moment you finally find him you talk to him for a grand 4 lines and he peaces out never to be seen again.
>>
>>29612897
Oh god this is hard.... hmm..... I think the destiny trilogy might take it?

>>29612959
Yeah or this. God fuck Snakewood
>>
>>29612967
Oh lemme just get more into this, because I watched someone I look up to play through the entirety of this god forsaken game and questioned why he never stopped.

So in multiple places, the game just gives up on telling you where to go or what to do. Specifically, the sub. Throughout the game, there's a submarine that is constantly moving around the region, showing up at random moments. Your character drops into a pit of water the first time and is luckily saved by them the first time, which was okay, you go through it, and you're told to fix the engines. How? You need an arclight spanner. How do you get an arclight spanner? THE GAME NEVER TELLS YOU OR HINTS AT ALL HOW TO GET IT.

You have to go to two random cabinets in the final room, go up to one of the cabinets (not both! one of them's a regular cabinet!), and get the spanner, then use it on the engines.

But then, oh ho ho, it gets WORSE. The sub shows up at two more times during the story, where your character needs to escape from somewhere, and there's a spot of water, it just so happens the sub is there, so your character just hops right in. The 2nd and 3rd times are even worse when it comes to what you have to do to advance the story.

And one of the most egregious errors. The final gym leader. It's a mirror. It's known as Esau. Have you read the old testament of the bible? No? Then you have no idea how to get your final badge. You have to go back to, I think Mauville, go up to a random chef dude in a pokemon center, buy a bowl of some food, and give it to him. It's apparently a reference to him selling his inheritance for a bowl of food or something? But the game NEVER, EVER, EVER MAKES A SINGLE REFERENCE TO IT OR EDUCATES YOU OR HINTS AT IT!
>>
>>29613097
... YOU SON OF A BITCH! I FORGOT THAT! WHY DID YOU MAKE ME REMEMBER THAT YOU GOD DAMNED SON OF A BITCH?!
>>
File: mari.png (416KB, 550x697px) Image search: [Google]
mari.png
416KB, 550x697px
>>29608371
Anon... it's joke
>>
>>29610320
Not really played as a God with much importance, but before fighting the final boss of the first game (Angelsomething) it lists all the legendaries and calls Arceus the god.
>>
>>29612466
what fresh hell is this
>>
>>29612897
Honestly? It's probably one of those hacks that are so bad nobody talks about them, simply due to them being one beta long and so glitchy that you need to use save states to get from one plot event to another.
>>
File: dickman baby.png (2KB, 64x64px) Image search: [Google]
dickman baby.png
2KB, 64x64px
Which hackrom makes me battle against this guy?
>>
File: Pokemon Grand Dad Version_03.png (6KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon Grand Dad Version_03.png
6KB, 240x160px
>>29613741
None, but there is an official hack made by Siivagunner.
>>
>>29613622
Pardon Fuck.
>>
Snakewood has 0 production value.

Plot goes literally nowhere and is just an excuse to go forward. Literally any kind of shitty idea came into the creator's mind, he just implemented it without caring about continuity or lore or shit. Dude, let's put zombies! And aliens! And demons! And dragons! And taoists! Hey, what about a detective section? Dude, let's create a giantic labyrinth that keeps pushing you WAY back every time you make a mistake, or traps you in an aerea where you fight lv100 uber mons ahah. Also what should hatch from this egg? I know, another egg! And what should this egg evolve into? ANOTHER EGG!

Tiles are vanilla and horrible, they blend extremely badly and makes the world a messy shit, thrown up without even caring if you can accidentaly walk out the map. Fakemons and edits didn't take more than 20 seconds on ms paint to be made each. Also rebalance is messy and retarded, I hope you like quilfish because yeah, he is crazy strong, just like linoone and his linoonquaza evolution (yeah, it's a thing).

That being said: this hack is terrible, and my favourite one I've ever played, and everyone should play it and love this mess, because sometimes "so bad is so good" just works, amd this title is the proof.
>>
Arceus is only worshipped in Sinnoh.

Checkmate Arceists
>>
File: Dragoone.png (2KB, 60x60px) Image search: [Google]
Dragoone.png
2KB, 60x60px
>>29613886
>just like linoone and his linoonquaza evolutio
Oh my
>>
>>29607720
Insurgence, Zeta/Omicron, Reborn and Uranium are some other cringe-inducing craps. Avoid those.
>>
>>29610569
>You know it's sitting back and looking at it that you realize that Gamefreak is actually really good devs.

Gamefreak are not good devs.

Just because everyone else besides a very handful at the very most is putrid shit and makes Gamefreak look like god devs in comparison, doesn't mean they're actually good.
>>
>>29612897
Quartz? Chaos Black?
>>
>>29612897
Ruby Destiny Rescue Rangers. There was an anon a while back who played through the game entirely while posting his progress in a thread.
>>
>>29615742
Nah this one wins

http://pokemonorderandchaos.com/index.html

Enjoy Clown and Space type and Master Chief
>>
>>29610848
>>29613242
It's not a joke if it isn't funny.
>>
>>29616201
I'm planning on playing through this hack for some laughs. How bad does it get?
>>
>>29616171
The awful attempt at a MD hack?
>>
>>29607720
Do you get to cuck anyone in this game?
>>
>>29607720
Is there Pokefucking in this? If so, I would be willing to try it.
>>
>>29610805
darkrai and mewtwo are the only cannon legendaries that are outright hateful to humans

hoopa can cause a fuckton of trouble, but he's just a memeing nigger
>>
>>29617248
I also want to know this.
>>
Pokemon Insurgence ODDLY doesn't break those sins other than 1 maybe. The issue is it's got encounters built around gimmick sets (IE Sunny weather solar beam is what the first gym leader uses), and you can turn off the more egregious features like the "darker story" and Deltas.

Pokemon placement is pretty cool too, other than the starters and such being wild pokemon put in locations where they'd be at the necessary level to have evolved several times over.

It DOES also let me pick Golurk as my starter and that might or might not have broken the game, though.
>>
OP, what're your views on Phoenix Rising? Think it'll be committing the cardinal sins or does it look as promising to you as it does to me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vjOvit5g_Y
>>
>>29612439

>DO YOU LIKE MY CAR
>>
>>29612466
That's the gayest thing I've seen.
>>
>>29610805
>If anything this seems like another Hades mistaken for the Devil thing
Pretty much this. And because they want some edge in their hack, SMT style
>>
Anyone completed Flora Sky? Started it a few years ago, and all I remember is that it seemed like the creator had kind of...forgot to edit out of a lot of R/S/E stuff. Like the Prof's still Birch, the protag is still Brendan or May, a few buildings are exactly the same etc. Maybe later versions changed that though I don't know
>>
File: 1448677741251.png (631KB, 2152x2232px) Image search: [Google]
1448677741251.png
631KB, 2152x2232px
>>29617276
You know it
>>
Is Glazed at least fun to play? I'm a sucker for a multi-regional adventure, so I wanna know if it's still worth playing, bad story or not.
>>
>>29617248
>>29616201
It's pretty bad, I'm in victory road atm and there's an army of Master Chiefs (or Spartans) who call themselves the company.
Pic related ruses you into helping him and you side with Master Chief to help stop him. We haven't permanently defeated him yet and I'm expecting some N-like league shenanigans.
>>
>>29619708
Completed it last year. The plot is only half there & a lot of RSE elements have been virtually untouched, but it functions well enough
>>
>>29620082
Silly story stuff aside, I'd say it's still the best romhack I've played. Give it a shot for sure.
Play BlazedGlazed though if you do.
>>
>>29613242
Hi joke, I'm dad.
>>
>>29610745
>that yellow jumpsuit
silver please
>>
>>29607791

In the german version of XY Sky trainers will say "Himmel, Arceus und Zwirn!" if you refuse to battle with them as a spin off of a common swear in german and it translates to something like "Heaven, Arceus and Yarn!"
>>
Did prism ever come out? Is it good?
>>
>>29620441
Comes out in December, TPP is probably still playing it as a weird pre-release test, but KBM managed to port the entire thing to Crystal wit TPP's actually competent coders to help him and dropped the edginess and memes.
There's also even better customizaton than the previous non-joke version and 60FPS.
>>
>>29613775
that looks cringey as hell
>>
>>29620603
>TPP is probably still playing it

They finished it a week or so ago. Found some pretty bad bugs during the playthrough from what I heard (didn't watch most of it), so it was probably a good idea to do an extensive test like that.
>>
>>29620678

A pokemon became a zombie, the player character became a magikarp, a pokeball malfunctioned and turned the wrong pokemon shiny, a text box broke the fourth wall, among other things.

It was pretty fun.
>>
>>29620227
This, horrible story but solid region and with BlazedGlazed rebalancing the level curve, very good gameplay. It's neat to use gen 6 mons in Blazed.
>>
File: 1452348272874.gif (2MB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1452348272874.gif
2MB, 250x250px
>>29620092
>and you side with Master Chief
...wait what??
>>
>>29620634
I'm glad siivagunner ended before the fandom got a chance to get as bad as sonic or mlp.
>>
>>29620277
:D
>>
>>29607806
I can confirm you are full of bullshit. Possibly a worse offender than Glazed
>>
>>29613622
>tfw just tried out that romhack
Talk about disappointing.
>>
What kind of hack would you guys even recommend?
>>
>>29622532
Clover
>>
>>29622578
That isnt out yet
>>
Why are so many of these romhacks edgy? Uranium and Insurgency are laughably bad.
>>
File: edgy.png (66KB, 240x2006px) Image search: [Google]
edgy.png
66KB, 240x2006px
>>29622680
Most ROMhacks are made by teenagers, because adults usually have jobs or at least are in college. Teenagers love edge.
>>
>>29622680
Insurgence isn't laughably bad if you turn the dark plot off. Then it's just sort of fucking boring sans the combat.

Now Rejuvenation? That is some fucking grade A comedy.
>>
I want to stream a blind nuzlocke of a romhack (which must be complete at least to the elite four). I've done Snakewood and Glazed and a decent amount of Order and Chaos, and flora/light platinum, if anyone wants to dare me something I'll do it
>>
>>29622993
Tentaquil version?
>>
>>29622993
Pokemon Vega
>>
>>29622993
Fire Red Backwards
>>
>>29623047
shit, I forgot to mention I actually beat a randomizer nuzlocke of Vega last fall
>>
>>29622532
Polished Crystal is being actively worked on and has been fantastic so far. It's basically just Crystal but with improvements like physical/special split, more areas from HGSS, new music, Lyra is in it, etc.

Prism is coming out eventually and it looks good. It's been in development for years.

Pokemon Dark Energy is worth looking at. It has a dumb story but a lot of interesting gimmicks you don't often see in other romhacks, like minigames.

I remember trying out Pokemon Maize a few years ago and really enjoying it. I'm not sure anyone's still working on it anymore though and it looks like you can only get 6 badges. It might be fun to try if you're just looking for some time to kill and don't want to commit to a long game.

>>29622680
I think there's a couple of reasons:
first, basically what >>29622818 said. Most of us played Pokemon when we were little kids and the series hasn't exactly grown up with us. Teens don't really understand that Pokemon will always be for kids/family oriented and instead try to push darker, more "adult" stories and plots into their rom hacks and fangames. Since teens and bored college kids are the only ones with tons of time to dedicate to these games, they're the only ones we wind up seeing.

second, the most romhacks are only worked on by a single person at a time, usually a single person with an interest in programming or game design. There usually aren't full teams working on these. As a result there's no one dedicated to writing, map layouts, balancing, or sprites. You have some guy who's only good at programming doing all of the other jobs too and that's how you wind up with Snakewood and Uranium.
>>
>>29623064
Without randomizer.
I dare you.
>>
>>29623123
I suppose I could do it, I have had some runs where I got far into the game. Part of me wants to wait for this guy on Nuz Forums to finish his edit "Vega EX" which will add the postgame mons into the main game.
>>
>>29623135
honestly I think I'm gonna do Dark Rising 2. It at least has the P/S split
see
>>29623306 for link
>>
>>29607774
Yeah because having a single church in a single city in a single region of an entire world is grounds for having every character worship that god
>>
>>29619078
the moment it got to "story rich gameplay" it took a flying leap. Also what a dumb trio of starters.
>>
>>29623338
No shit I read that as "Dead Rising 2" for a few seconds.
>>
5. Stupid pokemon placement with no adjustments made to accommodate the change. Golurk is cool, I agree, but making him one of the first Pokemon available while leaving his evolution in the 50's is just going to make him drop off from relevance. This is especially prevalent in "All Pokemon" hacks. Here's 5 Pokeballs also the first route has 12 new Pokemon also we haven't adjusted the cash curve to accommodate for this.
6. Arceus as a God, Characters saying "Arceus dammit" or similarly praising the Pokegod. Deifying legendaries in short.

Wait why are these "cardinal sins"? Why are they even "sins"? Or are you just projecting and imposing because this or that particular thing doesn't stroke your fancy?
>>
>>29624558
>5
Because very rarely is unique pokemon placement actually well thought-out.
>6
How often do you say "God damn it" and how often do you say "Yahweh damn it" instead?
>>
>>29624558
Because some pokemon are designed for certain parts of the game, through BST or evolution curve or other such reasoning. When you just plop em down anywhere without adjusting them at all, then it's dumb as fuck. If you're going to place Golett at the start of the game, then adjust his evolution curve to the late 20's/30's then okay. But if you're just going to drop bogstandard Golett in area 1, it's going to fuck up
>>
>>29624608
>unique
>placement
I'm honestly not seeing the bother. Romhacks beng romhacks, half the point of interest is getting the team you want as early as possible, so the selection of wild Pokémon needs to be good and broad early. I mean, it's not like we are going to get like plot (gasp!) or novelty exploration (the heathens!) from these romhacks, right? Otherwise, just play a vanilla 721-esque romhack, truly...

>Deity damn it
I have no idea how often the Norses said Odin damn it but pretty much half the point of gods is that you can curse in their name. Sure, if it fits the character then he should and shall curse and swear and by the gods, and hopefully with some variety, like cursing someone by Zekrom's buttocks. Now, if *everyone* was doing it, yeah, I guess it would be noticeably out of taste (not to mention reeking of owwwwtheedgelord).
>>
>>29624558
Those are sins in the way of things that should be avoided as they detract from the gameplay.

Shit like bad Pokémon placing destroys the flow of the game, early route mons are used for a learning curve and often evolve early, baby mons are used to allow a line that is too strong early game to be available early and evolved midgame. It's a flaw to put shit like Golett and Larvestra as route 1 mons.

The second one is just stupid writing of stuff that is only shit that people add for the edge or to put their own headcanons in the game.

It's not hard to grasp why someone would call them Pokémon fangame sins.
>>
>>29624819
The problem is that no one really KNOWS Arceus' name, the two characters who seem to know anything about it are an archaeologist and Cynthia. The rest, including the region that worships him, call him the "Original One."

As for the unique placement one, there's a reason you get your rats and birds in your first route: Those ones have the lowest level evos and can progress alongside your starter at a reasonable rate. Otherwise you've got fully evolved starters, a fully evolved bird, a fully evolved bug, but the Axew you got early on still has yet to become a Fraxure. It creates an uncomfortable gap in the party balance.
>>
>>29624819
>I have no idea how often the Norses said Odin damn it but pretty much half the point of gods is that you can curse in their name
Different religions have different ways of cursing in their name.

Pretty much any who follow Wodinism sort of just devolved into literally just fucking yelling PERKELE which means "God of Thunder." Not even his name (It's Ukke), but his descriptor. It's the equivalent of yelling "BEARDED CARPENTER FROM JERUSALEM!"

Basically, you need an organic way of doing it, and evne then Pokemon is very odd in relation to local language - they aren't typically referenced in metaphor. No "You smell like a Muk's ass" or any of that. So why would Arceus, an extremely obscure deity only really known about in ONE region by maybe two or three people at most by name, be so notorious people curse in his name in such a way?

It's like Buddhists yelling "PELE'S TITS" in frustration - they're not old Hawaiian Pagans and they probably know dick about that religion, nor did they develop in that culture, so they wouldn't know of or use that deity in reference.
>>
>>29624930
Put it like this, you get Aron by the second gym of RSE, but Aron is a perfect Early Mid-game poke because he only needs 20-23 levels or so from where you caught him to evolve. If you got Aron on route 1 at level 2, It would take 30 levels to evolve him. Pawniard, Gollet, Mienfoo, And hell just most of the late-game evolvers in BW, were designed to be caught in the late game. If you're going to move them earlier, then decrease their evolve level, otherwise they are going to fall behind so hard.
>>
Weird question, do you guys think Game Freak regrets creating Arceus?
>>
>>29620926
you get captured by head Master Chief and are thrown in a prison in the Master Chief hideout. Once they realize they need you defeat the big bad the head Master Chief lets you go in secret.
This is on the moon of course
>>
>>29624974
Adding onto this, if we're gonna go on the note that Arceus is so well known, then we need to acknowledge his actual motifs.

He's acknowledged as someone wh ocrafted existence with his "thousand arms" and he doesn't damn things. His signature move is JUDGEMENT. So instead of "Arceus damn it!" they'd probably say "Arceus' guilt!" or something like that. Or for a more vulgar one, something like "Arceus' one thousand armpits!"

He's not some over-lording deity who damns, he's a creating figure who judges. Gotta adjust your wording for that.

And again, Arceus isn't that very well known. So we'd be seeing more reference to Dialga or Palkia, who are more universally recognized. So we'd be seeing more things like "Dialga pause it!" or "Palkia move it!"

>>29625046
Nah. Arceus and his group added a very interesting element to the lore. Also helps sort of "ground" Pokemon creation myths by letting them parallel real life creation myths: THey're all different. Either all Pokemon were created by genetic fuckery involving Mew and animals, or they were formed by Arceus and everything else.
>>
>>29625063
>This is on the moon of course

What the fuck
>>
>>29625075
Hell, aside from an Unown-assisted instance of Arceus creating a Dialga/Palkia/Giratina in HGSS, we've never seen what exactly Arceus can DO on its own in the games.
Maybe DP Remakes will give it some special treatment where Giratina takes you to Arceus because it's about to unleash an apocalyptic judgement because humans were deemed too corrupt after all the seemingly endless conflict since creation.
>>
>>29619789
The shit taste in me is telling me to play this.
>>
The stupidity of the Glazed post-game for going "You can't capture legendaries you'll disrupt the environment" and by that time having like 16 is hilarious.
>>
>>29607914
>I'd also consider No.8 Roadblocking with no common sense.

Nah thats just Pokemon

WERE DANCING FOR NO REASON
>>
>>29625706
No they're at least in the way. I physically can't move past them. That screenshot is "You can't go into this office!" And then you're forced back. by nothing but the deep shame of heading into the office of the bad guy who's hideout you're invading.
>>
>>29616356
Shit nigga he was being sarcastic l
>>
>>29625159
I hope to God they don't do the latter. If I wanted that kind of plot, I'd play Shin Megami Tensai.
>>
>>29607806
Is that the one with self inserts and final fantasy characters or is that another gen 3 crystal hack?
>>
>>29607720
I feel Glazed is one of the most overrated fan creations I've seen.
The only one that surprised me more is when I saw fucking snakewood actually winning positive awards.
>>
>>29616356
Jesus Christ op chill the fuck out
>>
>>29625825
That's not OP.
>>
>>29609385
>>staff self inserts
You mean like every single Pokemon game?
>>
>>29626145
Those are confined to a single building, the staff inserts are always characters in hacks
>>
>>29626145
There's a difference to a little easter egg crew in some small room in a city versus "epic badasses" that the ROM hackers tend to self insert
>>
/vp/ assuming you had the appropriate time, skill and resources, what would your romhack be like?
>>
>>29626691
Like clover
>>
>>29626691
I'll tell you after I'm done with my Fire Emblem one.
>>
>>29626691

No fakemon, and a normal story in the spirit of the games, maybe introduce a few mechanics and try to balance a bit without going too far.

With console-tier graphics
>>
>>29626691
I'd like to make a romhack that focused on Contests, but I'm not sure many people would be interested.
>>
>>29627292
I mean it could be interesting, I think it'd be a lot of work though.
>>
>>29627285
>a normal story in the spirit of the games
>in the spirit of the games

Fucking THIS. Pokemon is a mostly light-hearted children's game and there's nothing wrong with that.

I'd forgo tweaking mechanics in favour of building tough and interesting gym teams, maybe extending to as many major NPCs as possible if time and resources allowed.
I'd also want to extend what GF flirted with in many Unova routes: adding branching paths and secrets only accessible later in the game.
I like pokeride as a concept, and this could be used to extend exploration. Perhaps there could be hidden events in optional areas where players recruit ally pokemon not required for the main adventure, thereby opening additional hidden areas. There can now be effectively as many HMs as feels good because they don't clog up players' teams. Pokemon could successfully incorporate additional exploration and collection elements in almost a metroidvania style.
>>
>>29628041
Also please Romhackers if you're going to make rivals, give them an arc.

Silver learns humility and realizes he's been treading the wrong path, May/Brendan realize they don't actually care all that much about battling and Wally grows to become a strong enough person that he can fight for himself and make it to Victory Road. Barry learns to slow down, to not just rush off and think he can win all on his own, he smartens up and becomes a better trainer, Cheren learns that there's more to strength than what he thinks there is and Bianca learns that even if she's stumbled and fallen, there's still things that she can do. There are arcs, purposes to fighting these characters.
>>
>>29628074

Calem discovers he's a cuck with no redeeming qualities.
>>
>>29628223
I never played X, I'd never be able to tell you.
>>
>>29622993
Pokemon Turquoise. Don't forget to fight everyone you see m8.
>>
Fuligin was a good hack, despite the cursing, the average story and the difficulty curve. I played it like 4-5 years ago, though
>>
>>29628400
Does it ease the >DAE RAEP later on?
>>
>>29628074
What about Blue?
>>
>>29628464
>"Why? Why did I lose? I never made any mistakes raising my Pokémon… Darn it!"

He is the whetstone for you to sharpen yourself on, Honestly he doesn't have much of an arc, in the manga and anime of course Green/Gary are cocks, but in the games, he's just a step ahead of you each time. But he actually doesn't have all that much animosity.

Before battle
>"What kept you <player>? Hahaha! I thought you'd turn up if I waited here! I guess Team Rocket slowed you down! Not that I care! I saw you in Saffron, so I decided to see if you got better!"
Being defeated
>"Oh man! So, you are ready for Boss Rocket!"
After being defeated
>"Well, <player>! I'm moving on up and ahead! By checking my Pokédex, I'm starting to see what's strong and how they evolve! Am I a genius or what? I'm going to the Pokémon League to boot out the Elite Four! I'll become the world's most powerful Trainer! <player>, well good luck to you! Don't sweat it! Smell ya!"

He is there to compete with you but otherwise is rather friendly with only light teasing.
>>
>>29628223
Serena discovers that she doesn't need to actively try to be unique and it's okay if even if she isn't the strongest. She also goes from seeing Calem as just another trainer to becoming good friends with him.
>>
>>29614720
I don't disagree, but I will say that Reborn has kind of crossed over into "so bad, it's good" territory. It's like at some point, it stopped trying to take itself too seriously and just went off the rails with the camp and the ridiculous plot elements.

Also, some of the locations are actually pretty interesting if you ignore the lore and the story, which you won't remember, anyways, what with the insanely long development periods.

I don't know. Reborn is definitely an offender, but it just might be crazy enough to work as a parody of itself, if you're able to enjoy that type of thing.
>>
>>29628598
>>29628598
>Serena discovers that she doesn't need to actively try to be unique and it's okay if even if she isn't the strongest
Dude what? Every single time to beat Calem/Serena it's as if the world had just ended for them. They try harder and harder next time and you just blow them the fuck away and crush their dream harder than the previous time. I dreaded my battles with them because I felt like a bully.
>>
>>29628815
I don't think it is being a parody though. I think it's being earnest.
>>
>>29628843
Uh, you must've played it in some other language because that didn't seem to be the case in neither English nor Japanese.
>>
>reverse Pokémon

You start level 100, winning loses exp

You gotta beat the game before your party is too weak
>>
>>29607774
It's a largely unknown diety though.

For instance in the movie, Ash had to be told of Arceus for the first time.

And those guys in the hoopa movie had to explain they were an Arceus cult.

So it's certainly not widespread.

I'd say if anything they closer fit the pattern of like, the cult-churches of like Dagon or whatever in Lovecraft books. Just venerating a slightly more benevolent great old one.
>>
>>29630594
So yeah it makes absolutely fuck all sense.
>>
>>29626691
>No Fakemon
>Copy a couple ideas from the guys who did Zeta/Insurgence by having gyms based around gimmicks instead of types
>None of that edgy shit though, maybe make it more comedic
>Region would be a giant circle you travel around the circumference of on a train, and to get closer to the center of the circle you have to beat gyms and get HMs to surpass various obstacles
>The actual trains you get on would have their own plots and maybe those would be the first gym of each layer
>The Elite Four aren't in the center of the region, you learn this once you get there, and just find a guy telling you "Congrats, you can now face the Elite Four! They're in the last four train cars!"
>Victory Road is traveling BACK to the first train with a bunch of new, stronger trainers
>>
>>29607842
Gaia is popular here because the maker is a /vp/oreon
>>
>>29612466
Aw fuck please dont ruin a good anime with this shit
>>
>>29629668
It just helps to think of it as one if you started playing and kinda want to see it through.
>>
>>29630395
I'm intrigued. Could you describe it more?
>>
The worst part of any Arceus as a Deity nonsense is that they more or less treat it as stereotypical Christianity with God find-and-replaced to Arceus. It's so lazy and results in the aforementioned "Arceus damn it" sort of cringeworthy dialogue
>>
>>29631840
That's what bothers me, too. If you're going to do the whole religious aspect, at least make it something entirely new. There's actually so much you can do with it if you absolutely have to put it in. If nothing else, it could actually be great for worldbuilding. But for the most part, it's just turned into another "I Can't Believe It's Not Christianity!"
>>
>>29607720
>6. Arceus as a God, Characters saying "Arceus dammit" or similarly praising the Pokegod. Deifying legendaries in short.

Odd question, how do you feel if these are explicitly small groups off cultists and such?

Like maybe the villain teams are cults of rival legendaries? But they're odd-men out of a greater world?
>>
>>29632077
If it's just a small group, it's fine. But as has been said

>>29631952
>>29631840
Please, try not to make it fucking Christianity. It anything, the Pokemon World leans closer to Pantheon based mythology, not monotheism. After all Christianity doesn't have "a being that controls space, one that controls time, and one that controls anti-matter and then beings for the earth and the sea" etc.
>>
>>29631952
It really is closer to Shintoism if anything.
>>
>>29617986
Darkrai was also a canon good guy in the movie IIRC
>>
>>29626691
>Diverse challenges from contests, trials, gym battles, etc. so you also get multiple "to be a master" paths that only occasionally touches with the 'main story'
>Main story with branching paths
>Character and even some pokemon customizations
>3d models (Pokemon poses and models would be readjusted though)
>Regional variants (at least if I'm doing an existing region) and pokemon spawns that are logical to the environs of the region
>New Megas (at least for all gens of starters)
>Plenty of chances to rechallenge trainers and try to flesh them out a bit as you battle them more and more
>Pokedex entries that grow more eleborate as you learn more about the pokemon you catch (Amie interactions/feeding, leveling/evolving, catching duplicates, etc.)
>routes with multiple-paths and hidden secrets in each, but still open world enough to can go just about anywhere from the beginning

Fuck, this is a 'bethesda' pokemon game, I realized.

>>29632116
just kind of making sure and curious.
>>
So did Pokemon Prism kill itself being released just after SM?
>>
>>29632326
ah, a few other things I'd do in my ideal fan game:

>Massive rebalancing to ensure all non-legendaries are competitively viable, carefully rebalancing movepools, stat distributions, and weaknesses/resistances

on the flipside:

>Legendaries gain a new, passive ability causes super-effective attacks to only be x1 normal damage.
>Because legendary

Also not sure if I'd want to have HMs still or do the Sun/moon thing.

If I kept HMs, one idea is that HMs, while they cannot be unlearned and now only one could be known at a time, would add a fifth move-slot for a pokemon's movepool

I'm still not sure if I'd want to set it in an existing region or make up my own.

If I did an existing Region I'd probably have it cover Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn.
>>
>>29608305
Isn't this the one where they went way overboard with the amount of rivals
>>
>>29610805
>>29619635
Really, it's just fanon.

Honestly, if I gave pokemon a 'mythology', I'd say Yvelta, Darkrai, and Girantina are Satan in the very old sense of the term.

They ARE evil/bad, but they do so out of necessity because it's their role to play in creation. They bring death, destruction, suffering, and feat because without it, the opposites would be meaningless.

They bring hardships for humanity and other pokemon to overcome so they can grow stronger or see why certain things are a bad idea.

They are 'the prosecutors', who exist to judge and pressure humanity and other pokemon to be better. By being complete dicks to them.
>>
>>29632514
Oh fuck I forgot the one thing I fucking hated in Glazed.

They made more TM moves act as HMs. Hey, wanna get to Silver? Do you have a Pokemon who knows Fury Cutter? No? Get fucked son, go get a Pokemon who does and reteach it that move that was irrelevant yonks ago. To cut through this bamboo bush blocking this one town. Only this one bush though, all other bushes are cut with cut.
>>
>>29628074
THEY STOLE MY SISTER'S PURRLOIN!
>>
>>29628041
>Pokemon could successfully incorporate additional exploration and collection elements in almost a metroidvania style.
Making me drool, anon.

Bring back Alph/Regi style mysteries to explore and i'd preorder it as soon as hearing of it.
>>
>>29632790
And somehow this guy manages to be even more bro than Barry.

Funny thing is that he also learned to forgive team plasma and hangs around in drift veil around them.
>>
>>29628041
Pokemon really started it's ways as a metroidvania / recruit rpg hybrid, didn't it?

Why'd they abandon the explory bits so much?
>>
do attacks in glazed have a gen 4 special/physical split or is it gen 3 type based?
>>
>>29624974
>Pretty much any who follow Wodinism sort of just devolved into literally just fucking yelling PERKELE which means "God of Thunder."
Perkele was a Balto-Finnic god, not Scandinavian
>>
>>29628464
His arc takes 2 gen to complete but he finally does get it after losing to Gold/Ethan.
>>
File: Heinz_Doofenshmirtz.png (34KB, 222x394px) Image search: [Google]
Heinz_Doofenshmirtz.png
34KB, 222x394px
>>29628074
Hmmm, weird idea for a rival then?

>They're actually notably older than you and HAD been the champion at one point
>After being toppled though they went on a personal journey and decided to start over again around the time the player does
>They're friendly enough to give you plenty of tips from their experience
>They always try to involve themselves in the plot
>But they ultimately learn it's time to step aside and let the next generation take over.
>After accepting this, they are also proud to say that you are the one who will succeed them.

>>29626691
another random and really shitty idea:

>Pokemon game/region based on Disney
>light-hearted as fucking hell
>You know you're in for nothing serious when your rival is Alice and the 'evil team' is led by Heinz Doofenschmirtz (and your ally is a psyduck)
>>
>>29633135
Similar idea. Your rival was once essentially a super hero to the masses, a trainer who couldn't be beat until he decided that he'd rather get by on sponsorships and handshakes. Realizing that he could actually lose and have his fame and fortune vanish in a snap makes him constantly paranoid and afraid of this new upstart trainer who's making headlines. Eventually, upon losing to you and seeing the good you do for no reward (even after smearing you) he realizes you don't do things for the reward or the glory, but to help people, and he returns at the end of the game to bring reinforcements and let you face the final boss.

So basically Captain Qwark.
>>
>>29631474
>good anime
Ya dun goofed kid.
Never thought I'd have to call out God Modding in an Anime before
>>
>>29633135
>Slightly jaded, rugged older "rival" who is more just a friendly dude who occasionally battles with you to make sure you're good neough to keep going
>Always seems to have just the right-leveled teams for you
>Get a gameplay segment where you play as him
>He's dealing with the resident evil faction who are using highly over-leveled Pokemon because they know you can't handle it
>He whips out his real team, which are broken as shit and would wreck you in a second

>Post-game has you fighting him at his peak
>>
>>29633209
your idea's better. I like the "you do great things to do them" over the more depressing message of "the old must ultimately yield to the new"

>>29633051
questuion: how do you feel about the idea of legit "dungeons" being optional things or tied unrelated to the 'defeat gym leaders/win contests/do trials' standard plotline?

Like you need to remember interesting places you couldn't go before and back track to them. If you bothered looking at all.
>>
File: 1431983375746.png (1MB, 600x3259px) Image search: [Google]
1431983375746.png
1MB, 600x3259px
>>29633402
okay, that's kind of cool, maybe as a secondary rival or something?

For more random bullshit:
>one-of-a-kind "Unique" pokemon variants you either get through the story or side stuff
>they're pretty much normal for their pokemon species with maybe a 10 point boost to one stat, a different ability, etc. And naturally have a special visual look about them
>Like the "headless" and singing Gulrock
>>
>>29633439
It's something from DQ 8 as well

>The Hero is not performing magnanimous and valiant acts to attain greatness, but it is natural for one as great as he to perform all of these things.

The difference between the player and the Rival is the rival desires greatness, where as the player is simply does things because he is great, even if he's not well regarded or the region may turn on him.

It's that old hopeful reasoning "I don't need a reason to help people."

The other idea I had, if the player must have many rivals, is that before the Elite 4, there is a Tournament, and it is a chance for the player to basically boss-rush their rivals and for their stories to conclude. The old man chasing glory, your protege who idolized you through the game, the child of the villain team aiming to redeem his family name, your childhood friend. Each of them pitting their wills against you their desires. To relive that once glorious dream, to surpass their master, to have the adoration of the people, to finally reconnect with you after all your adventures And each of them achieving their goals in their own certain ways. Realizing that his comeback has earned him a story from the crowd, the fire in his eyes back once more, he departs ready to adventure think: Scrooge McDuck at the end of The Life and Times. The Protege realizing there's so much more he has to grow to beat you, to surpass the champion. The villain earning the crowds adoration for his valiant effort, even if he lost. And after the credit, watching the sunset with your neighbour while eating a burger.

Then you face down the Elite 4, trainers who you've met and see perform incredible feats, those who taught you along the way, how to catch a pokemon, how to fly, how to never give up, how to overcome fear. And then.

The champion.
>>
>>29633738
This is how I would see the old rival, someone who has had a hell of an adventure, but feels broken down, only to be reminded that he thrived on adventure, fossil his fucking foot.
>>
>>29633756
>>
>>29633738
>>29633756
>>29633783
>Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck

You ain' just mah niggah, we're fucking conjoined twins!
>>
>>29633878
Like, I just imagine the kind of trainer who was the stuff of legends. The kind of trainer who witnessed the birth of a legendary, who fought along side the swords of justice, traveled every region, it's hackeyed but just the kind of trainer who, in a way, is the long-time player of Pokemon, the guy who has done so much all over the world over the past 20 years.

In a way also representing the returning Pokemon trainer. "My best adventures are yet to come."
>>
>>29632326
>Pokedex entries that grow more eleborate as you learn more about the pokemon you catch (Amie interactions/feeding, leveling/evolving, catching duplicates, etc.)
I didn't even know I wanted this
>>
>>29634421
thanks. I'm actually a bit inspired by Pokemon Go.

The weight and size variations would be an amazing start. Throw in shinies, regional variants, opposite sex and just the profile picture and statistics data would be an amazing encyclopedia entry.

Then we toss in evolutions/move pools, feeding, petting, even talking to other people or reading in-universe texts on a pokemon and could have basically one page of lore-shit.
>>
>>29610946
>Also Pryce retired as a gym leader and also worked for the villain team because "Muh healthcare"

wait what this sounds ridiculous and i love it
>>
>>29635274
It's not he shows up for one cutscene to go "Don't you judge me, do you know how hard it is to pay bills when you're retired and in a wheel chair?" and then rolls on out.
>>
>>29633402
>it's actually your long lost dad
>>
>>29633439
Love em. Why?
>>
>>29613775
Who the hell is Siivagunner
>>
File: 21.png (786KB, 665x450px) Image search: [Google]
21.png
786KB, 665x450px
>>29626691
Gen 2 hack that acts as a sequel to Crystal. The game starts in Olivine with a completely different badge progression, but I try to keep the number of new OCs down to a minimum. Team Rocket, after their second defeat in Goldenrod, splintered into smaller factions led by each of the HGSS admins, with varying degrees of success, and you have to deal with them one-at-a-time as you progress through the region, but it's mostly just a vanilla Pokémon game. Gym Leaders and E4 got shaken up, e.g. Bugsy moved up to joining the Elite Four and Valerie decided to move back to Johto to fill the vacancy (which has the side effect of forcing Whitney to revamp her Gym, since she used to use a mix of Normal- and Fairy-types but can't do the latter now). Every former Gym Leader/E4 member from Gen 1 and 2 has some bonus battle, and I'm thinking they could be used as roadblocks for Legendaries (e.g. to gain access to the Seafoam Islands and battle Articuno you need to defeat Lorelei).

After beating the Champion at the Indigo Plateau, you get a ticket for the S.S. Aqua like in GSC to head to a new region. Someone on board at one point mentions how the region you're going to was better when it only had ~150 Pokémon instead of all these new ones. When you get off the ship, you find yourself in Virbank City. You have to travel through southwest Unova all the way to Aspertia before you can go to Kanto.

The main thing keeping me from just doing it is the limit on how many Pokémon you can have in your hack. When someone eventually expands the Dex, it'll probably be what sparks me to actually make the hack, instead of just porting music to Gen 2 and posting it on /heg/ like I usually do.
>>
>>29635510
>What the hell is Google
>>
>>29635510
The hero we need, but not the one we deserve.
>>
>>29635510
it's a youtube channel where a bunch of faggots mix memes into game osts, but upload it as the original track. autistic /v/ermin love it go figure.
>>
>>29635549
What the hell is google?
>>
>>29625159
>Maybe DP Remakes will give it some special treatment where Giratina takes you to Arceus because it's about to unleash an apocalyptic judgement because humans were deemed too corrupt after all the seemingly endless conflict since creation.

lockstin pls go
>>
Is it just me or is removing all capital NAMES kinda silly in hacks?
>>
>>29612682
>FUUUUCK THIIIIIIS GAAAAAAAAME
Jesus Christ, get your autism in check.
>>
>>29625825
Yes because OP was really off his hinges there.
>>
File: Pi2E8.png (7KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
Pi2E8.png
7KB, 240x160px
Wouldn't another cardinal sin be double team spam to make fights seem "harder"?

I know the Ruby Destiny series does this a lot.
>>
>>29637182
>Gabrieleon
What the fuck kind of name is that?
>>
>>29636011
Just you
>>
>>29637262
The name of someone's OC who got Jagold to put it in LoG.
>>
>>29637182
I would categorize that under absurd difficulty. "Nobody uses moves like Mindreader" "The answer of course is to give doubleteam to everything, not to just ignore moves like Mind Reader.

It's consider an Addendum "Smogon Syndrome" I.E. Balancing your games around the player having studied the Smogon tiers religiously.
>>
>>29607720
I've been considering making a hack with loads of rivals to provide plotline battles instead of an evil team, is this a terrible idea?
I suppose it doesn't really matter since I'll never get anywhere with it
>>
>>29625063
Have fun with the League. I've done it, and you'll likely need to grind more than you think. It's done interestingly, but...
>>
>>29622993
Try Onyx Blue. As far as I know, it's done, but I haven't gone too much further than the first gym myself.
>>
File: image.jpg (228KB, 1120x1700px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
228KB, 1120x1700px
>>29613622
>AWAKE
>>
File: Ruby Destiny fans.png (78KB, 1029x576px) Image search: [Google]
Ruby Destiny fans.png
78KB, 1029x576px
>>29640112
>I've been considering making a hack with loads of rivals

Do not do it.

Do not do it.

Learn from the mistakes of a plethora of bad hacks. The more rivals you include in your hack, the more forgettable they become. To use Ruby Destiny as an example, as shitty as Reign of Legends is, I can actually remember the two rivals being Blitz the Edglelord and that one chick who ends up as the eighth Gym Leader, and that they were friends with each other and both wanted to protect Lugia from being corrupted by shadow energy, even though edgelord was at risk of being corrupted. They were badly written rivals in a game with a forgettable overall plot, but they were the ONLY rivals so it doesn't tax your memory while playing the game, and when they show up you know exactly who they are and understand why they're there when they do.

Meanwhile, I can't remember half of Life of Guardians rivals (there was that dude named Light who had a Zoroark, that one ranger chick whose guild you can join during that fake morality bullshit Jagold threw in halfway into the hack then almost immediately dropped and put you on the good route for the rest of the game, there was that alternate universe version of you that was the opposite gender, and there was that one guy who gets really mad at you and battles you three times in a row with the exact same team. Fuck the rest) because the author decided there needed to be more than fucking ten.

Rival spam is bad, man. I wouldn't go above three rivals, even XY had its rivals be undeveloped (even by Pokémon standards) because there were four of them.

If you want NPCs to appear regularly, try introducing a Looker/Eusine character; someone who's chasing something and progressing either with or without your help, and might battle you, but isn't a regular rival. They have their own goals unrelated to yours, and cross paths incidentally, and maybe seek you out specifically during the climax of their arc since you've proven to be helpful.
>>
>>29607720
It's actually one of the greatest rom hacks ever released, you can really tell a lot of effort went into making it.
>>
>>29643879
lot of effort =/= good
>>
>>29643879
Effort =/= quality
>>
>>29643937
>>29643942
Let me see your rom hack, then.
>>
>>29643980
I haven't even played Glazed and wasn't commenting on it specifically, I'm just saying putting a lot of time and effort into something doesn't make it good. Time and effort are part of what you need to make something good, but you also need talent, or at least someone who can properly determine good from bad to monitor your hack and tell you when you put some stupid shit in so you can improve it. I can't imagine how much better the average ROMhack would be if there was a professional editor for each one like what you see for writers.
>>
>>29643980
haha, this poor attempt at an argument.
>>
>>29643879
>>29643980
A lot of effort and time was put into Duke Nukem Forever. it was still fucking disappointingly terrible.

You don't need to be a master carpenter to notice when there's a big hole in your roof and termites are eating a hole out of one of your walls.
>>
>>29644259
I was just kidding.

Why is /vp/ so fucking gullible?
>>
>>29643879
Someone can Polish shit until it shines, it doesn't change the fact that it is still shit man.

Effort means nothing if the concept is flawed at the start.
>>
>>29613097
you talking bout nappy? Hes the only one i know who played recently
>>
>>29644288
Yes, you were totally pretending to be an obtuse cocksucker.
>>
>>29611354
what the fuck is that music?
>>
>>29644482
Here's your (you) I hope it can soften he blow and restore some of your lost pride bitch cuck
>>
>>29644482
I wasn't "pretending" to be anything, I was joking.
>>
>>29626691
A story where you start as a middle aged salaryman in a pokemon world. An old friend of yours, a pokemon professor (actually a bit of an embarrassment since he never really gave up his childhood), calls you up about some rare pokemon he had you discover. You've stagnated in your career, so you decide to pay him a visit and see what he wants.

The PC had always wanted to be a professional trainer but chose to focus on school instead. As they grew, they began to see pokemon less as partners and more as tools to be used in the real world. However, upon choosing a starter, they remember how it felt to be young and how fascinating it was to be a pokemon trainer.

The gameplay would be similar to the main games, but the story would be a more prominent focus. There would be gym leaders who, seeing themselves in more of a working role, see you as a delusional adult or someone chasing a dead dream; others who see in you someone who is rediscovering the glee of a lost childhood; and others who chide you on foolish life decisions and try to convince you to go back to work.

There are two rivals. One, a coworker who had chased the pokemon dream but found it empty in the end and who tries to get you to return to the adult world, and the other a child who chose their starter at the same time that you did and relishes the pure joy of bonding with their pokemon. The coworker would be the stronger rival, and you would act as the stronger rival to the child.

When you reach the elite four, they know you as something of a curiosity. An adult that reinvested in the competitive world and found pleasure in it. As adults who bonded well with pokemon, they congratulate you on finding your own path in life and enjoying the time you had.

Upon defeating the champion, you have the choice to either stay in the world of competitive pokemon, seen as a lesser career in the eyes of the world, or return to your job at home.
>>
>>29635394
mostly just asking. I'd love to make my own romhack game, but... I have no idea where to start.
>>
>>29634988
so it would be like the fame checker? cause that shit needs to come back too
>>
>>29645070
Fakemon would not be necessary since the story is a more central focus. If there was an evil team, they would be less of an actual evil and more of an ideological group that sticks by their pokemon when pokemon is more relegated to the realm of children.

More of the true trainers you see would be younger than you and they would make a show of it. Fights involving adults would show that their pokemon are more utilitarian in purpose and you would often be chided for instigating battles. Sometimes you would encounter parent/child teams where the child would rebuke the parent for not going all out despite having a stronger pokemon.

It would take a lot more writing but wouldn't be too difficult of a project. I have the time but lack the skills necessary.
>>
>>29626691
Dracula, but with pokemon.

Separated into acts, similar to a stage play.
>>
>>29643879
Yes and the Tunod Region is actually really well designed, it had everything involved that could have made it a great pokemon game.

But it fucked it up. Being the greatest of the dregs is still dregs.
>>
File: Zd0hVOH.jpg?1.jpg (23KB, 500x299px) Image search: [Google]
Zd0hVOH.jpg?1.jpg
23KB, 500x299px
>implying this isn't the only good romhack
>>
>>29645883
I was just kidding, please stop replying, I'm starting to feel bad.

>>29646058
Not big enough.
>>
File: pn6Lo7V.png (13KB, 236x159px) Image search: [Google]
pn6Lo7V.png
13KB, 236x159px
>>
>>29631474
>good anime
>DanMachi

Pick one.
>>
The worst thing is, since the general quality of fan games is so bad, the only people you can go to for reviews generally have shit taste, so you can't really trust anyone.
>>
>>29647184
Including here?
>>
>>29647246
partially, dumb hard mode hacks that poorly balance the game are recommended because "It's much harder!"
>>
File: 1470610620591.jpg (55KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1470610620591.jpg
55KB, 960x960px
>>29626691
A few years ago I had written an basic outline for a hack. The region was a full on Best Korea level dictatorship ruled by the Champion as the ultimate authority. The gym leaders were local leaders with the gyms serving as training centres for his army instead of whatever the fuck they're meant to be in canon. Player worked for the token underground resistance and starts by going undercover to the gyms for training. The rest of the plot was basically kidnapping gym leaders and other important authority figures, dealing backstabbing within the resistance, sabotaging the regime's operations, secretly recruiting for the resistance, the usual stuff. I realized that the whole thing was dumb and generic enough to be copy pasted to any fictional universe. I'd still like for someone to try something similar though.
>>
>>29647261
Hey man, when a hack has a name like "Crystal Kaizo" you should expect it to only appeal to a certain demographic of masochists. I think that when you review a game like that just the title should be enough to say the review is only going to state whether it's good for masochists or not.
>>
>>29648025
Yes but usually it doesn't
>>
File: 1369856861417.gif (212KB, 640x626px) Image search: [Google]
1369856861417.gif
212KB, 640x626px
>>29645070
Not bad, I think it could use some refinement that would be possible putting it into the actual game by making the dichotomy a bit less stark.

There probably should be a middle group of, I guess you could even say "casual pokemon competitors" who say 'why can't you be both?'

That would make a lot of sense for some gym leaders who, from what we've seen, actually tend to have jobs besides gym battling, and indeed, being a gym leader seems to almost be nearly an advocation and it was how they worked with and applied their skills in pokemon to their main job that earned them gym leader status in their community.

>>29626691
>>29607720
related to this: do you guys prefer fan regions or focusing on canon regions?
>>
>>29649681
I think Fan regions are fine.
>>
>>29635531
If it's a sequel to Crystal and time has passed, why not use HG/SS as a base?
>>
What's the fangame that has like 42 types or something?
>>
>>29626691
I'd try to make it as accurate to the main games as possible.
>>
>>29607720
Avoid fangames/hacks and stick to remakes/enhancements. All of them are cringe inducing fanfictions that were brought to life through game imbalances, fakemons, and nonsensical difficulty curves.
>>
>>29631788
that's as far as I've thought this through
>>
>>29607720
Fire red omega is my favorite hack
>>
>>29626691
Longer. Fucking. Routes.

Holy shit, to this very day in the anime "Ash and friends" only ever encounter someone when they come looking for trouble, and yet getting through each route is like a casual stroll in the park for all the time it takes to get through each one and out of the wilderness.
>>
>>29650472
Yeah there's a reason for that. Ash doesn't have to visit the Pokemon Center after every few encounters because his teams being worn down.

And if you say "This just means the player has to buy more potions" then you also have to consider PP so Ethers need to be buyable, also, you need to lower the price or increase money gain for the player. And if you place healing spots through the route, you also have to consider that's still an inability to acquire supplies such as potions and Pokeballs.

Then, you have to make the fucking payout for getting out of the route memorable. No ones going to be pleased to leave a route, only to spend 5 minutes rocking the gym and then bam onto the next boring route. And if your decision is a bunch of events and harder gyms, then you are risking player burnout.

Routes are short for a reason, because they're calculated between the players resources vs the next rest stop and interesting event.
>>
Is it Light Platiunum where the only potions you can buy are Hyper Potions, and the only balls are ultra balls? Because the was really dumb.
>>
>>29650536
Well then I guess I'd have to adjust for scale.

Maybe create some sort of "pseuo" ether until around the 4th gym, rather than lowering the price of the real thing.
>>
>>29649907
Inurgence, I think?
>>
>>29646312
>>29633329
I liked it :(
>>
>>29626691
>take emerald
>remake the game with FRLG graphics and tiles
>add up-to-date mechanics (phys/spec split, fairy type, some new moves)
>make the optional areas more rewarding for those who backtrack to explore them (rare/legendary mons, useful TM's, megastones if I wanna add megas)
>add maybe a few more optional dungeons or flesh out more the smaller ones
>change the pokedex so that it includes more variety between regions (I think most hoennmons are pretty bad and not fun to play with)
>give exp share from the start but raise the level curve
>make sure that you can't steamroll through gym leaders with one move, while avioding Vega-tier bullshit
>maybe add some post-game content that can only be obtained if you beat both league and master contests

that's pretty much what I would enjoy, and I won't be surprised if something like that already exists.
>>
>>29650867
2 things.

1. No exp share, that's cancer
2. Emerald's engine is way too weak for a project that ambitious.
>>
>>29650915
EXP share isn't cancerous, but that's an internal debate really.
>>
File: 1467951325425.jpg (71KB, 647x594px) Image search: [Google]
1467951325425.jpg
71KB, 647x594px
>>29650915
>1. No exp share, that's cancer
Are we talking old exp share or new exp share?
Because we're gonna have problems if it's the former. Giving exp to your whole party is sort of retarded but it made training up shitmons from scratch so much easier back in the day.
>>
>>29650932
You're right, we'll just end up arguing in circles.

>>29650948
New

And I agree, the old one made it a lot easier, not every pokemon can take hits with that stupid "switch in, switch out" method.
>>
>>29650915
could hoenn be remade in FR?
>>
File: Shitpost Simulator 5000.png (10KB, 160x640px) Image search: [Google]
Shitpost Simulator 5000.png
10KB, 160x640px
>>29649884
Two reasons.

First, I prefer the aesthetics of Gen 2 to its remake. The graphics and especially the music are a lot nicer to me.

Second, HGSS hacking is near-impossible unless you're ultra-dedicated to it like that one guy remaking Light Platinum. Crystal has been 100% disassembled, it's cracked wide open, you can do literally whatever you want to it as long as it's within the capabilities of the hardware and ROM size (you can expand the ROM from 2MB to 4MB if you really need to but I don't want to because that breaks the real-time-clock. If Gen 3 had a disassembly (and the guys who disassembled Red/Yellow/Crystal are working on one by disassembling Ruby/Sapphire), people would be able to do in weeks or days what would normally take months, disassemblies are just fucking awesome.

I'm already a little experienced in hacking Gen 2 just by fucking around and doing things like the aforementioned music ports, so I'd be hesitant to move to Gen 4 even if it did have a complete disassembly that made it as easy to hack as Gen 2.
>>
>>29650652
Not Insurgence. That just has Delta pokemon.
>>
>>29650472
Ash and his bunch don't encounter pokemon as much as game characters do and don't have to fight every other asshole out there so the routes can be long as hell without being difficult or tedious. Maybe a compromise can be made by adding resting spots and interesting npcs in between, decreasing encounter rate and increasing the variety of pokemon that can be found.
>>
>>29652316
I've just been playing the skyrim remaster lately and being able to just bebop through the wilderness like it's nothing gets kind of grating after a while.
>>
>>29607720
Thread is too long. Is there actually is a hackrom with none of those cardinal sins?
>>
>>29652578
Probably not. No.
>>
>>29652578
Pokemon brown is alright, it has these sins but it still manages to be enjoyable.
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 53

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.