[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Total Newbie here looking of spending all of 2017 trying to catch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: maxresdefault.jpg (162KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
162KB, 1280x720px
Total Newbie here looking of spending all of 2017 trying to catch up with pokemon competitive and hopefully joining the scene come 2018 or 2019. any tips?
>>
Don't play Doubles
>>
>>29602034
>any tips?
Use legends or you cant win.
>>
>>29602034
VGC17 is going to be fantastic, play it.
OU is shit, singles is always shit.
>>
OP here, This is my team
>Infernape
>Kangaskhan
>Alakazam
>Lucario
>Drapion
>Volcanion
>>
File: 1474914653688.png (63KB, 316x303px) Image search: [Google]
1474914653688.png
63KB, 316x303px
>>29602043
ins't that what world champs are based on?>>29602044
have beaten many kids without legends you sure there's no other way?
>>29602067
wasn't into singles anyway
>>
>>29602034
wait for SM, is pointless otherwise, VGC16 meta will not matter ever again and ranked games from XYORAS are closed
or play smogon
>>
File: giphy.gif (485KB, 499x374px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
485KB, 499x374px
>>29602115
what can i expect from SM when going into competitive? any concerns you have personally?
>>
Here's your tip: Don't

Competitive is boring as shit. There's no variety since everyone builds almost identical teams of the same Pokemon dictated by tiers and metas.

The reason everyone lost their shit about Pachiritsu winning in Doubles that one year is because for once it was a breath of fresh air of something unexpected.

Enjoy the game with friends, don't play Comp. You'll get bored fast
>>
>>29602144
Porygon 2, salamence, tapus, smeargle, talonflame, sylveon and rampardos
>>
>>29602194
i do enjoy the game with friends, however regardless of it being boring it's still something i wanna do, thank you for your input however
>>
File: 1455257774439.png (418KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1455257774439.png
418KB, 640x480px
>>29602223
what's the idea behind this team? which moves would you recommend?
>>
>>29602043
This.
>>
>>29602253
not a team at all, just stuff that will be common next year

also garchomp and maybe contrary spinda, 2017's mons are kinda slow (one of the fastest is salamence with 100 base speed, so there's going to be a LOT of trick room)
>>
Honestly going into it 2017 I am not sure what to expect, except that priority is getting its dick kicked in and so speed control will be pretty important

The tapus will be very significant

things I expect to see: garchomp, gyarados, gengar

things that start with G I guess
>>
>>29602410
how to counter trick room? play slower mons?
>>
>>29602443
taunt
>>
not op but asking, will scizor be shit this gen with the priority nerf? or can he still use other stuff like bug bite or metal claw?
>>
I also think that dragon typing for moves is getting pretty bad. Barely ran it for the last 2 gens, and it's just getting worse as fairies proliferate
>>
>>29602632
by gens I mean seasons, sorry
it was great in gen 5

scizor will probably be okay because he donks the things that nerf priority pretty hard
>>
>>29602034
Quit now.
>>
>>29602443
Fast Taunt, look into whimsicott or aerodactyl
>>
>>29602443
Taunt and having a lead that pressures the opponent into losing enough momentum through damage trading even if TR is allowed to be set up

Start by playing Battle Spots Doubles on Showdown. It's a nice earlymidgame format that emphasises trading, which is a crucial skill in all formats. And about waiting till 2018, I'd say don't sweat it, just jump right in from 17. PCs offer a chance to learn tournament skills that you could never otherwise, like keeping a poker face regardless of situation, ignoring your opponent's behaviour, knowing when to forfeit to preserve information (which is actually handy even in Bo1s due to note-sharing), and how a tournament generally works (wouldn't want yourself to look like an idiot at your first MSS/Regs/Nats wouldn't you?).

Check out mindape for his excellent articles on player mentality, but steer clear of Nugget Bridge blogs and forums for advice. Only go there to look at team reports, but don't copy. Think of the reasoning behind the teams and how you can improve them.

Good luck, you'll need it in an RNG-infested format.
>>
>>29602833
>whimsicott
And what if they run tapu lele?
>>
>>29602613
Shit is a strong word. He'll be seeing a lot less usage though.
>>29602888
You're right, I guess Aero and slightly slower taunt users might work. If you wanna remove Lele I suggest Gengar
>>
thinking back on it I personally never found scizor to be a huge threat in vgc

The offensive priority user I worried most about was azumarill, followed by talonflame

Also: No amoongus! I'm not even sure what I'm going to do. Morelull probably has spore I guess, but will it have rage powder?
>>
>>29603019
it wasnt the best xerneas check, but it was nice, at least made it into worlds

>>29602921
>>29602672
any teammates for scizor?
>>
>>29603019
Spore seems shit with the Tapus going around.
>>
>>29603141
milotic, slowbro/king, arcanine off the top of my head, for various reasons.
>>
>>29603203
oh yeah damn, two of them do prevent that don't they. Well, that changes the calculus.
>>
>>29603141
Politoed, obviously, but do keep in mind that Tapu Koko is very likely to learn Heat Wave if tutors are available
>>
>>29602034
Don't get into the competitive scene with the stupid mindset of "it doesn't use a shitmon, therefore his team is shit, boring and takes no skill to use". Use the strongest options available to win, since that's the objective of competitiveness.

Adding to the last point, nobody cares what you use, so don't try to use shitmons just because you want to be unique, use them if they're just what your team needs; this is something a lot of newbies tend to fall for, since they want to be the special snowflake in the tournament/ladder and then they get mad when they get fucked by competitive people.

Basically, what I'm saying is: I'm not against variety, it's just that adding them for no reason other than "style points" is stupid; if they're what you need, then go ahead and use them as you see fit.

... that being said, this year there is definitely going to have a lot of natural variety because of how many seemingly viable options there are, and how many overpowered bullshit was removed due to the rules (no megas, alolan pokedex only - which means finally no genies outclassing fucking everything -, etc), not to mention that it seems like a bunch of things have counters, so it's going to be a lot of fun to explore. My points on variety were mostly for the general competitive concept.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.