[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>it's based on an extinct animal! So is half the fucking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 354
Thread images: 52

File: 724Decidueye.png (894KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
724Decidueye.png
894KB, 1280x1280px
>it's based on an extinct animal!
So is half the fucking pokedex, including all the other grass starters. No, Venusaur is not a frog, it's a synapsid/pelycosaur.

>he attacks from the shadows!
Like any other predator. Nonspecific stealth does not define ghost type. Ghosts actually turn INTO shadows and shit, which is not in its description.

>owls are associated with spirits sometimes!
Every fucking animal has some spiritual interpretation in some culture. You don't just make a generic animal and call it a spirit, its design actually has to actually convey its spirituality or spookiness. There is nothing spooky about it, it's a generic animalistic owl in vibrant Robin Hood cosplay.

>it's a sniper, snipers are known as "ghosts" and "deadeyes!" it's a pun!
>Gamefreak designing Pokemon based on English puns

>its signature move is ghost type!
And what the fuck does this have to do with its design? The move is an afterthought, an arbitrary addition to justify its type because its design doesn't. Nothing about its arrows visually suggests that they're "ghost arrows." They could just as easily make them "ice arrows" and slap ice type on it.

>I guess [pokemon] should be [type] then, since it looks like [type]!
That's not the argument. Most Pokemon could be visually justified as a different type. The important thing is that their actual type has a reasonable connection to their design. Owl could be grass, flying, normal, dark, maybe even fighting. But ghost is not one of the types that works on it.

>Gamefreak is just expanding the definition of ghosts!
i.e. Gamefreak is too lazy/incompetent to meet their own design standards, so they stop trying, and you're defending that. If a type can't be reasonably connected to its design, that's a failure of the design. Yes, it's happened before, on things like Jynx, Lucario, Palkia... and those are not models for good design. If you have to liken Decidueye to Jynx, that should already tell you that something is wrong.
>>
it's a ghost type because ohmori wanted to see autists like you sperg out
>>
Rockruff and the Lycanroc forms lacking secondary types is even worse tbqh
>>
>>29580399
It's grass/ghost. Deal with it.
>>
>>29580399
Can we ban these types of thread?
>>
File: salt.jpg (166KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
salt.jpg
166KB, 1280x720px
>>29580399
>>
>>29580399
I'm sorry that it being Grass/Ghost triggers your autism.
>>
>>29580424
>>29580438
>>29580445
>>29580451
>owlfags literally have no arguments
>>
>>29580399
>Trying this hard
>>
File: guzma boi.png (227KB, 869x717px) Image search: [Google]
guzma boi.png
227KB, 869x717px
>>29580459
i'm not even an owlfag, i just don't care and it's hilarious to me that someone would spend the time to type out that much in regard to something so utterly inconsequential
>>
>>29580459
I just don't care enough to engage in an Autism-off with you.
>>
File: swooce.jpg (36KB, 293x308px) Image search: [Google]
swooce.jpg
36KB, 293x308px
>>29580459
there is no argument. it's part ghost because gamefreak wanted it to be, simple as that. your autistic raging about it does nothing but give me something to laugh about
>>
>>29580505
/thread
>>
>>29580459
>thinking your "arguments" will actually change anything
We'll be enjoying the game while you sperg out in the corner.
>>
>>29580458
>>29580467
Still waiting for those arguments brphs

>>29580490
>>29580499
>>29580505
>I don't care that it's shit therefore it's not shit
So you admit I'm right, thanks for sharing
>>
Decidueye being a ghost type is cool. That's all the justification needed.
>>
>>29580538
You're right, but your actions here were nevertheless retarded.
>>
>>29580538
yes you're right. you also care too much about this.
>>
>>29580538
Aw look, it's fucking retarded! Give it your (You)s, everyone!

Stay salty that your shitty seal turned into a trap mermaid and your cat turned into barabait
>>
>>29580538
... I just fuckin' hate this world. And the human worms feasting on its corpus. My whole life is just cold, bitter hatred. And I always wanted to die violently. This is the time of vengeance and no life is worth saving. And I will put in the grave as many as I can. It's time for me to kill. And it's time for me to die. My genocide crusade begins here.
>>
>>29580538
>making a "debate me" thread
Go to bed. It's a school night.
>>
>>29580547
samurott should have been a dragon. that's cool too and maybe then people would have liked it.
>>
>watch as I try to explain why this typing makes no sense, while completely forgetting that gamefreak giving things weird nonsense typings is not nothing new
Literally who cares? Not everything has to have an explanation or reason. The world doesn't spin to soothe your autism.
>>
>>29580566
>>29580584
You're free to not care, just don't try to justify it with the same shitty arguments that get spewed ad nauseum here. None of them work as shown in the OP.

>>29580587
I'm retarded because I'm right?

>>29580618
>I don't care about this as much as you therefore you shouldn't either
Okay anon
>>
>>29580436
Sundog at least has the bare minimum of having its type's color, and the collar is clearly rocks. Moondog does not look like a rock type in the slightest. Its "spike" animates just like hair, there is no way you could call it a rock.

Another example of Gamefreak's laziness.
>>
>>29580667
You're retarded because you care about why it's ghost type. As many, many anons have said, it's ghost type because GameFreak wants it to be that way, you thick-headed dopey twat
>>
>>29580459
They don't need them. They don't need to justify anything. They owe you nothing.

Keep being mad though.
>>
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Alola starters, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Team Skull, and I have over 300 won battles. I am trained in Oranguru warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire Alolan dex. You are nothing to me but just another first stage shitmon. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this region, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the PC? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of trainers across Alola and your trainer ID is being traced right now so you better prepare for the Thunder, Weedle. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your starter. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can KO you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my grass STAB. Not only am I extensively trained in ghost-type combat, but I have access to the entire team of my trainer and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the region, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” PSS message was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit arrows all over you and you will drown in them. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
>>
>>29580834
>you shouldn't care about pokemon design, you should just gladly eat whatever gamefreak shits in your mouth
>you're not allowed to criticize pokemon on a pokemon board

Thanks for your input
>>
File: pueo.jpg (23KB, 220x293px) Image search: [Google]
pueo.jpg
23KB, 220x293px
>>29580459
There's nothing to really argue.
You're just upset because it doesn't make sense to hoo.
>>
Why the fuck are people getting mad over its type?

Tone down the autism a few hundred notches please
>>
>>29580888
you sure are mad that this pokemon has ghost type, anon.
>>
>>29580459
Do they need an argument? No matter how much you yell it's GONNA STAY grass/ghost
>>
>>29580399

Spoink is based on an english pun. "Pearls before swine".

Expanding the definition of ghost is a good idea, and probably arose when they had to adapt the game for chinese audiences where having literal ghosts in fiction is basically illegal.
>>
>>29580888
>Things can only be one extreme or the other!
Stop being a child.

You can argue that it doesn't make sense till the day you die, but it's not going to change anything. You have your reasons. If you like them or not is all on you.
>>
>>29580399
>Ghosts actually turn INTO shadows and shit, which is not in its description.
Read ghost type moves again. Some of them just involve them hiding or striking from the shadows.
>>
OP here, thanks for falling for my bait and giving me (You)s

:^)
>>
I think its shiny expresses the Ghost type well. Aside from the dark colors, the scheme reminds me of winter, which is associated with the dormancy of trees and death. It also reminds me of a psychopomp.
>>
>>29580888
We don't have any arguments because (You) pulled shit out of your ass to shoot down the legitimate arguments. The "spooky" theme of ghost pokemon ended with Sableye. Also, wasted.
>>
>>29581039
enjoy them.
>>
>>29581045
Obvious bait is obvious. This is pretty much a word for word recreation of some of the arguments that one anon had in the thread an hour or two after the official reveal.

>The "spooky" theme of ghost pokemon ended with Sableye.
wat
Did you even read that OP?
>>
>>29580399
What about the fact that the main basis is the pueo owl native to Hawaii that is an endangered species and if said to be the main form taken by their ancestor's spirits. I mean Marowak being based on night marchers and fire dancing, bruxish being based on the state fish the reef triggerfish, a- raichu being based on surfing, Kommo-o having basis in the Hawaiian Mo-o dragon, A-rattata and Yungoos being based on the actual importantion of the mongoose to deal with the rodent infestation in Hawaii. A starter taking a cultural basis in the culture of hawaii is not exactly a stretch.
>>
>>29580399
>>Gamefreak designing Pokemon based on English puns
>Cutiefly
>Gumshoos

Also, its design is inspired by Robin Hood, and you should get the ghost part of that.
>>
>>29580399
You are a crybaby
>>
>>29580897
It doesn't make sense at all. I'm waiting for the argument that proves otherwise.

>>29580910
>you're mad therefore you're wrong
Dude I get it, you have nothing to contribute, shit. Thanks for the bumps though.

>>29580910
>Do they need an argument?
If they're attempting to prove me wrong, yes they do. Them "not caring" doesn't change the validity of what I'm saying. All they're proving is that they're okay with lazy designs.

>>29580943
The bible is translated in Japanese, and pig and pearls translated literally, so it's not an actual play on words, just concepts. There is no such expression in Japanese as "deadeye" therefore the pun makes no sense.
Then why did they add a bunch of legitimate ghosts to the gen?

>>29581153
How is Cutiefly an English pun?
Mongoose is the same in Japanese, mangusu. It's a loanword.
>>
>>29580399
Your first three arguments are "well, I can point to other things fit this trait and THEY aren't Ghost types. So why should Decidueye?" Because that's what Gamefreak went with. Any animal will have traits you could exaggerate and use as the basis for a Pokemon with a certain type. Could they have picked something else about owls and justified a different secondary type? Sure (snow owls -> Ice, burrowing owl -> Ground, being nocturnal hunters -> Dark). They went with Ghost.

Why would Ghost work here? Can you point to many animals that fit ALL of these points (based on extinct animal, attacks from shadows, associated with spirits) simultaneously? In other words, if you were to rank all animals based on their overall "ghostliness," would owls not be near the top?

>Nothing about its arrows visually suggests that they're "ghost arrows." They could just as easily make them "ice arrows" and slap ice type on it.
Yeah, they could've made it an ice arrow and made it Grass/Ice. But they didn't. Spirit Shackle uses a ghost arrow to prevent the opponent from escaping. Like something a bird of prey would want to utilize.

>oh my god Gamefreak, stop being creative!
>>
>>29581254
>Cutiepie
>Cutiefly
>>
>>29580399
This.
In Hawaii.
Where the game is based.
>>
Why do you care?
Just ignore Decidueye if you hate it.
No-one is forcing you to like it. There's no need to obsess over a design you hate.
>>
>>29580814
Rockruff and Sunrock have the same basic aesthetic as Litleo and Pyroar, though. With Game Freak's recent obsession with half-Normies, I'm shocked the whole damn family is pure Rock.
>>
>>29581254
In Hawaii owls, specifically the pueo, symbolize death and the afterlife. Coupled with its shadowy nature, it works well enough You seem to be the only one upset by it, so why should we care?
>>
>>29581254
>m-muh opinion is fact
>th-this design is shit and if you like it you're a big meanie!

(You)
>>
>>29581293
Not him, but you realize that's just the localized name, yeah? They didn't build it around that.
>>
>>29581293
Cutiefly is just its English name you cocksucker. It has nothing to do with the design. It's just my mom's bee fly and its Jap name is Abuly.

>>29581257
Those features are way too fucking general to define the type. That's like saying any Pokemon can be a fighting type because every Pokemon fights. The criteria is more specific. Ghost types have some combination of intangibility or non-solid bodies, object possession or occult features. A generic ass owl doesn't suddenly justify ghosts, especially when its design evokes a forest superhero more than anything.

Like I said, the design has nothing spiritual about it. You wouldn't even infer that it's extinct from its design, because again it's a pretty generic owl. It's just a narrative to fit the justification.

An ice arrow would also prevent an opponent from escaping. You're only proving how arbitrary and forced the whole thing is.

>>29581327
>I disagree with your opinion but I have no argument against it
Thanks for your input
>>
>>29581519
Please continue. Your autism is hilarious.
>>
File: 1471019429494.png (108KB, 680x679px) Image search: [Google]
1471019429494.png
108KB, 680x679px
this whole thread
>>
I agree the "extinct" argument is bullshit. But its ghost type is justified the same way Kingdra's dragon type is. The animal it's based on is literally called ghost owl.
>>
>>29581546
Remember that guy who wrote all those paragraphs on why he hated Greninja?
>>
>>29580399
Oh look, it's meme frog hater 2.0
>>
File: 1473777551226.gif (121KB, 2000x2500px) Image search: [Google]
1473777551226.gif
121KB, 2000x2500px
>>29581317
>stop discussing a Pokemon on a Pokemon board
>only positive posts allowed! this is my safe space!

>>29581588
Yes. Pic related.

>>29581583
It's not a barn owl.
>>
>>29580399
Its a ghost type because its based on Robinhood and he doesnt exist, like ghosts.

Now enjoy your new pokemon, bitch
>>
>>29581659
Robin Hood dies
>>
>>29581659
Pokemon don't exist. And Pokemon are based on things that die.

I guess all Pokemon should be ghost types!

>Big Bang Theory image
Please leave
>>
File: 1471614928966.jpg (193KB, 600x739px)
1471614928966.jpg
193KB, 600x739px
>Decidueye goes from the shit tier Grass/Flying type to the excellent Grass/Ghost type

>people complain about this

This fanbase should burn.
>>
>>29581753
No one would complain if the design matched the type too.
>>
File: Hinoka gets a critical.jpg (55KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Hinoka gets a critical.jpg
55KB, 500x500px
Ok...but can it be ghost type based on all those things put together?
>>
>>29581768
It does. You're the only one who thinks it doesn't.
>>
>>29581707
>Pokemon don't exist.
they do, as artwork and digital monsters
>And Pokemon are based on things that die.
where did I say that this was a reason for it to be a ghost type? get some reading comprehension.
>>
>>29581816
How does it? Your argument is about mechanics, not design.

>>29581815
>Okay, but can 0 x 7 = 1?
>>
File: 33d.gif (327KB, 414x374px)
33d.gif
327KB, 414x374px
>>29581860
Dig yourself deeper please, this is getting good
>>
>>29581846
Robin Hood exists as art, story and possibly history.

>where did I say that this was a reason for it to be a ghost type
I was just grasping for straws ironically to mock your argument.
>>
>>29581860
Because all the other 2ndary ghost types don't look ghostly either. They're based on concept more than looks.
>>
>>29581915
Their ghostly concepts are reflected in the design.

Decidueye's concept is a robin hood owl. There is nothing ghostly about that. If it has other concepts that are ghostly, they're not reflected in its design, which is a design failure.
>>
>>29580399
Holy crap OP, I get it. I actually agree with your argument that decidueye doesnt deserve ghost type and he doesn't look that good as well. But there are literally >800 pokemon for you to choose from, you dont have to focus on the one you don't like. And seriously, stop trying to shove your shit taste and justifications down our throats, you assburger twat.
>>
File: solid ghosts.jpg (76KB, 285x692px)
solid ghosts.jpg
76KB, 285x692px
>>29581934
>There is nothing ghostly about that
And these other guys are just so ghostly right?
>>
>>29581943
I'm just saying. What's wrong with that?
>>
>>29581967
Yeah, they are. All of them fit the criteria in >>29581519 in some way.
>>
Maybe it has to do with the fact that deciduous trees lose leaves in the winter, i.e. die
>>
>>29581519
>That's like saying any Pokemon can be a fighting type because every Pokemon fights
If it's reflected in the lore, then sure, why not?

>Ghost types have some combination of intangibility or non-solid bodies, object possession or occult features. A generic ass owl doesn't suddenly justify ghosts, especially when its design evokes a forest superhero more than anything.
Then read
>>29581321
>>29581312
which you conveniently haven't responded to. Or maybe wait for the Pokedex descriptions. Just because it's not immediately obvious based on design doesn't mean it can't be justified.

Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on Sensu Style Oricorio?

>Like I said, the design has nothing spiritual about it
Other than the arrows that can trap an enemy's spirit. And the demonic red pupils. Maybe that's a stretch to you, but the world isn't as black and white as you make it out to be.

>An ice arrow would also prevent an opponent from escaping. You're only proving how arbitrary and forced the whole thing is.
Half of all fucking Pokemon are arbitrary typing.
>>
>>29581979
How exactly do Frostlass, and Jellicent meet the criteria of:
"Ghost types have some combination of intangibility or non-solid bodies, object possession or occult features."?
Owls are spiritual beings in Hawaii just like Frostlass is based on a Japanese spirit. It matches up fine.
>>
>>29581969

Don't lose your head when someone doesn't agree with you, faggot. Seriously, I actually like decidueye, because ghost type makes it more viable, and also because that type is entirely out of left field. I know decidueye doesn't deserve ghost type and ground type attacks shouldn't hit it, but seriously, I like it nonetheless. You dont need to prove anything and neither do I. So stop getting triggered so easily and let it go, dickhead
>>
>>29581979
>jellicent fits the criteria
its literally my moms jellyfish with a ghost type slapped onto it (its designer literally said that was what happened). Same with sableye, its just a greedy manlet jew, and Drifloon (a fucking purple balloon).

You just made some criteria up to avoid getting your point refuted, which is a textbook example of a No True Scotsman fallacy
>>
>>29582020
This is about the Pokemon's design. If it can't be reasonably connected to a type without arbitrary lore, then it's a failure of the design. It's a lot easier to write a small excerpt of bullshit lore than to visually tell a story with just the design itself. Gamefreak took the lazy route.

I already said spirituality has to be conveyed in the design itself. There are different degrees of arbitrary. Like I said most Pokemon could be many types, but their actual types should be reasonably connected to their look. Ghost is not on Decidueye.
>>
>>29581791

KEK
>>
>>29582100
Jellyfish are almost entirely water, so non-solid. They're also transparent and float around eerily. Ghost type works perfectly on it on a physical level.
Froslass is a literal ghost, not a generic animal with overtly non-frightening features.

>>29582100
Sableye is not a literal animal, and at least resembles demonic creatures like imps. Balloons are almost entirely air and float around eerily.

I'm listing criteria that has been true to ghost types since gen 3, when they added more than the Gastly line. Only now have they gotten lazy with it.
>>
>>29582104
>If it can't be reasonably connected to a type without arbitrary lore, then it's a failure of the design.
So, all of these:
>>29581967
>>
Flying type = birds
owls =/= birds
simple
>>
>>29582223
hehememe
>>
>>29582204
>I'm listing criteria that has been true to ghost types since gen 3
so cherrypicking
>>
>>29582274
>using Gamefreak's own criteria is cherrypicking
Okay faggot
>>
File: HURR.png (523KB, 791x523px)
HURR.png
523KB, 791x523px
>>29580399
Your butthurt is delicious.

It's a Ghost type for the following reasons:

>They wanted it to be
>Hawaiian owls are especially related with omens, doom, spirits, etc.
>snipers being known as ghosts and deadeyes, the English name even tries to work in 'deadeye'

There are two kinds of people, the people who were delighted to see this starter get such a neat, somewhat-unique typing, and the spergs who give a shit that a ghost type is anything other than a floating purple blob or a possessed object.
>>
>>29582297
You don't know Gamefreaks criteria better than they do anon.
Especially sense you spent this whole thread contradicting them.
>>
>>29582297
>Using your made up criteria and calling it Game Freak's
kek
>>
>M-MUH CRITERIA

What's with people imposing guidelines on Game Freak and what can and can't be a Pokemon or a certain type? Do people honestly think they know better?

This was increasingly prevalent this Gen, a lot of the complaints about the new SM Pokemon were along the lines of "it doesn't look/feel like a Pokemon". As if all Pokemon A) need to be like the previous ones and B) need to fit your (aka some faggot on the internet's) standards.
>>
>>29582204
For fuck's sake. Respond this this point already:
>>29582307
>>Hawaiian owls are especially related with omens, doom, spirits, etc.
>>29581151
>What about the fact that the main basis is the pueo owl native to Hawaii that is an endangered species and if said to be the main form taken by their ancestor's spirits.
>>29581312
>>owls are associated with spirits sometimes!
>This.
>In Hawaii.
>Where the game is based.
>>29581321
>In Hawaii owls, specifically the pueo, symbolize death and the afterlife.

This is the exact same reason Frostlass is a Ghost type too. It's culturally based.
>>
>>29580399
Anon you didn't need to make this thread to pretend to be autistic.
>>
>>29582338
>>29582349
It's an observable fact that's been entirely consistent. I'm sorry you lack basic observation skills.

>>29582307
I refuted all of those fallacies in the OP. Regurgitating them is not an argument. "They wanted them to be" = "they're lazy and I'm okay with it, so you should be too."
>>
>>29582376
Those kind of complaints have been happening since around gen 4, and became more common during gen 5. "It doesn't LOOK like a pokemon" is practically a meme.
>>
File: 1445708797972.jpg (53KB, 500x365px)
1445708797972.jpg
53KB, 500x365px
It just has ghostly powers. It can be that simple.
>>
>>29582378
Froslass is a ghost type because it's a literal ghost. There is nothing else to associate it with. It's not a generic animal with a million interpretations and a design that strongly goes against the "spooky" one.
>>
>>29582407
Owls being heavily associated with spiritual stuff in Hawaii isn't a fallacy, though. It's incredibly reasonable to think that this association was made and is the primary reason for Decidueye's typing. The piercing red eyes convey it's "spookiness".
>>
>>29582407
You're so cute and cuddly OP, I want to give you a big hug.
>>
>>29580399
Jesus anon, go outside and take a breathe of fresh air, if this stupidity is that important you you, you should take a break.
>>
>>29582407
>It's an observable fact
No anon. It's cognitive bias.
>>
>>29582407
Wow, OP. You're so strong. I want that big member of yours. Mmmmmm.
>>
>>29582465
Mm, OP. You taste so yummy, I love it when you refute people's ad hominems. So sexy.
>>
>>29582439
The whole point is that regardless of any preconceptions, the cultural representation of Hawaiian owl-spirits in the region based upon Hawaii is what the typing is founded in
>>
>>29582465
Not an argument. Like I said, it's entirely consistent. You tried to prove that there were exceptions in the past when there weren't.
>>
>>29582439
>Froslass is a ghost type because it's a literal ghost.
It doesn't look like a ghost. It looks like a reptile maiden of some sort.
>>
>>29582439
>Froslass is a ghost type because it's a literal ghost.

How would you know? The Pokedex refers to a legend about a woman lost on a mountain turning into one, but in-game you give a Snorunt a Dawn Stone and it evolves into Froslass. Does the stone kill it or something? The Pokedex entry obviously isn't accurate, unless there are tons of spirits of women who died while lost on snowy mountains just floating around waiting for people to give a female Snorunt a Dawn Stone.
>>
>>29580399
>owls are associated with spirits
Didn't bother reading the rest of the thread, but the OP never argued against this.

Your argument boils down to
>owls are associated with spirits but it doesn't count because it's just an owl even though that's all it needs to be.
>>
>>29580399
OP I love your muscles. Show them off to me, tell me more about you hate birds, baby.
>>
>>29582490
>Not an argument.
Neither is yours, as you're relying on logical fallacies to prove a point already proven wrong by the creators of the fucking game.
>>
>>29582526
Gran Autismo galore!
>>
File: image.jpg (64KB, 492x298px)
image.jpg
64KB, 492x298px
>>
>>29582556
Generic deflection.
>>
>>29582495
It looks like a floating sheet with some ice features.

>>29582505
What does the dex have to do with it? I've been pretty clearly against using the dex to justify things. In design only it evokes a ghost.

>>29582526
The creators suddenly made an exception after a long period of consistency to make their jobs easier. That doesn't invalidate the consistency, it only exposes their laziness/incompetence.
>>
File: image.jpg (80KB, 350x420px)
image.jpg
80KB, 350x420px
>>
File: image.jpg (30KB, 536x274px)
image.jpg
30KB, 536x274px
>>
>>29582490
even in the past it isnt consistent. it would actually be more consistent to hold that all true ghost types are a shade of blue or purple and that any ghost that isnt purple is just "GF ignoring their own criteria".
>>
>>29580910
I don't understand how you can rail and call him every insult in the book and then accuse him of being mad.
>>
File: image.jpg (46KB, 456x322px)
image.jpg
46KB, 456x322px
>>
>>29582104
so really your whole argument can be boiled down to "it doesn't look spooky"?
>>
>>29582572
>In design only it evokes a ghost.

No, it evokes a woman in a kimono. The only remotely "ghostly" thing about it is the bit of purple included in its color scheme, which just goes right back to the main complaint against Decidueye, if it was just a little purple no would be complaining, because Ghost types HAVE to be purple if they aren't a possessed object.
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 313x471px)
image.jpg
48KB, 313x471px
>>
>>29580399
I can't disagree with you, OP. It makes no fucking sense to change it from Grass/Flying to Grass/Ghost. Time to get out your Excadrills and fuck this shit up.

Also, "Decidueye" is a fucking shit name. Just saying.
>>
File: OP bingo.png (542KB, 1200x2247px)
OP bingo.png
542KB, 1200x2247px
>>29582572
>It looks like a floating sheet with some ice features.
It looks like a lizard wearing a dress with some ice features.
>The creators suddenly made an exception after a long period of consistency to make their jobs easier.
An exception to your personal rule and observations.
2 generations ago, fairies weren't real and Pokemon could only evolve twice.

You're upset because your expectations weren't met. That's your fault.
>>
File: image.jpg (60KB, 334x439px)
image.jpg
60KB, 334x439px
>>
>>29582601
>it would actually be more consistent to hold that all true ghost types are a shade of blue or purple
No it wouldn't. Color is just one aspect of design, and it's not the only way to visually reflect a type. It also has never been true after they added more than a single ghost type.
>>
File: 1462994934926.png (768KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1462994934926.png
768KB, 1500x1500px
>>29580886
>>
>>29582649
Deciduous + Eye
I'm fine with it
>>
>>29580399
>>
please include me in the screencap
>>
File: image.jpg (41KB, 321x350px)
image.jpg
41KB, 321x350px
>>
File: aaaaaaaa.jpg (150KB, 500x403px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaaaa.jpg
150KB, 500x403px
>>29580399
Rowlet making fun of you, OP
>>
File: image.jpg (78KB, 600x600px)
image.jpg
78KB, 600x600px
>>29580399
Screencap pls.
>>
It really would've been fine /Flying so long as it got some good moves
We have enough ghosts, especially grass/ghosts
>>
>>29580399
Explain why it's a ghost type then, anon. You seem to propose reasons why it isn't a Ghost type, but the fact remains that it is.
>>
File: smugydoo.jpg (15KB, 400x263px)
smugydoo.jpg
15KB, 400x263px
>>29580399
At least OP never implied owls were birds.
>>
>>29582660
>It also has never been true after they added more than a single ghost type
it was true before gen 3, and all that gen 3 did was add black and grey into the mixture.

And even though color is just one aspect of design, its a pretty important aspect. Colorswap Misdreavus or Drifblim and you can make them any type you want. And is certainly a better criteria than "intangibility" (which you cant even see from any design without seeing some lore)
>>
>>29582761
You know he's just going to answer "hurr game freak is lazy durr"
>>
this thread in a nutshell

>"wahh, i don't like this design or this typing"
>i like this typing
>"wahh, you didn't give a good argument on why you like it, therefore you're hitler and have shit taste"
>actual argument on why the typing is good/design is good/why anon likes the design
>"hurr durr your argument wasn't good enough, therefore the design is shit"

And all of you idiots are giving OP (You)'s
>>
>>29582761
Well obviously Gamefreak has gotten lazy and senseless.
I certainly can't be the one who's wrong.
>>
>>29582780
I'm bored. What do you expect.
>>
>>29582746
>It really would've been fine /Flying
>Grass/Flying
>fine

>We have enough ghosts
>we have enough of one of the rarest types

>especially Grass/Ghost
>we have exactly five Grass/Ghosts

Sit in the corner and think about how fundamentally wrong you are about everything.
>>
>>29582780
Yous are simply a gift to OP for some entertainment.
>>
>>29582628
>>29582652
It's a white floating piece of fabric with no legs, that's apparently hollow outside of its head. Even its arms are fabric. It doesn't look like anything relatable creature besides a ghost, as opposed to Decidueye which only looks like a generic animal and Robin Hood.

>>29582652
An exception to an established standard. Fairy has tons of arbitrary designations and isn't a model for thoughtful distribution. Megas are an exception to a mechanical rule, not a design standard.
>>
>owl isn't cursed with a shitty "FREEZE ME" type combination
>idiots like OP lose their minds

best starter
>>
File: 1462997509063.png (101KB, 550x550px)
1462997509063.png
101KB, 550x550px
>>29582821
>>
>>29582813
Maybe it's a ghost that looks like an owl, you tremendous faggot. Who are you to say what a fucking ghost looks like? Maybe it has ghostly powers. Maybe it's a Ghost type specifically to rustle your jimmies. Why are you so bothered by it?
>>
File: 1463013445913.jpg (153KB, 1400x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1463013445913.jpg
153KB, 1400x1000px
>>29582524
>>
>>29582821
Definitely better than the other faggoty starters
>>
jesus christ op, i make like 3 threads a day bitching about poppmaid and even i'm not as big of a retard as you are
>>
>>29580399
never heard anyone say venusaur is a frog. wtf are you smoking, troll
>>
File: 1462995088638.png (170KB, 319x485px)
1462995088638.png
170KB, 319x485px
>>29580399
>>
>>29580399
>Every fucking animal has some spiritual interpretation in some culture.
So what? Just because some animal mons don't explore this theme, Decidueye isn't allowed to?
>>
>>29582780
>all these strawmen
I explained why the design doesn't match the typing. You're free to like it for whatever reason, but using these bullshit justifications doesn't work.

Just because it upsets you doesn't mean you should misrepresent it.
>>
>>29582808
There's nothing wrong with grass/flying
Ice weakness is nothing, tons of pokemon have it, Tropius is shit for having a number of other flaws

Rarity doesn't mean anything when "common" types are just rehashes and trashmons, while most ghosts are actually unique and viable
If they really wanted yet another grass/ghost they should've incorporated it into the design, they just aren't trying
>>
>>29582813
>It's a white floating piece of fabric with no legs
Because you can always see legs in a dress.

>An exception to an established standard
A standard that doesn't really mean anything. You bias says that because ghost pokemon have been one way, they must always be that way. The makers of the game obviously disagree.
But for some reason, changing that 'standard' has put you in a tizzy.
>>
>>29580424

First post best post.
>>
It's a Ghost type because GF decided it would be a Ghost type.
No amount of arguing and whining about it on an Australian wendigo didgeridoo online sharing service will ever make it into NOT a Ghost type.
>>
>>29581044
>That shiny
Son of a bitch it's glorious, and winter is my favorite season so that just makes it even cooler.
>>
File: image.png (210KB, 445x330px)
image.png
210KB, 445x330px
>>
I agree w/ OP. Ghost type should only be given to literal ghosts. Jellicent, Hoopa and Decidueye can fuck off.

>>29582874
Venusaur is clearly a frog.
>>
>>29582813
>It's a white floating piece of fabric with no legs
it isnt a piece of fabric you cunt. Just because you like THICC mons doesnt mean you have to assume bullshit from thinmons, shitlord
>>
>>29582813
It's supposed to look like a generic animal because the generic animal it's based off of is considered to be the literal physical embodiment of dead spirits. It's not supposed to look otherworldly. It's supposed to look like an owl.
>>
>design has to reflect type

This is fundamentally wrong and stupid. This Gen in particular shows that Pokemon are creatures that adapt to their environments.
>>
Make this an Decidueyes appreciation thread, guys.
>>
>>29582885
paper-thin explanation then, since there are plenty of other-half ghosts whose design doesn't "match the typing"

you are autistic and wasting everyone's time
>>
>>29582928
this gen is shit, you mean
>>
>>29582783
The lazy option would be Grass/Flying. It would have been an acceptable route, but also the laziest.

Senseless? Game Freak defines what each typing embodies. You, my friend, are the lazy one, as you have not found a common connection or trope between all Ghost types, including our new feathered friend, who's no more unreasonable than Oricorio.

Before Gen III and the introduction of Shedinja, all Ghost types were mostly intangible. The definition widened, and it's widening again.

Face it: your real struggle is that a non-Ghost evolves into a Ghost, and not under the circumstances of something like Nincada. Pokemon can evolve into Dragons, into Fairies, maybe even into Bugs someday: and yes, into Ghosts as well.
>>
>>29582936
>I DISAGREE!
ok
>>
>>29582887
>There's nothing wrong with grass/flying

Good one.

>while most ghosts are actually unique and viable

We have no idea about Decidueye's viability but how can you say it isn't unique? It's the only Ghost type that doesn't look like a Ghost type. It's also the only Ghost type that's a bird.

You're just mad that it isn't purple and that it doesn't "look like a Ghost" which is ironic since that would make it less unique, not more.
>>
>>29582928
Their appearance changed when they changed type though.. to fit that type..
>>
>>29580399
/vp/
>>
>>29582884
Decidueye doesn't explore the theme, and more to the point its design doesn't. I explained this. The look needs to convey it somehow.

>>29582894
Floating and having no legs evokes a ghost, among its other ghostly features. You're not doing yourself any favors by forcing Froslass as your "exception."

The key to a standard is that it takes a degree of effort and competence to maintain it. They fell short because it's easier for them, not because it makes for a good design.
>>
>>29582957
I can't wait until Fairy widens into something besides pink puffball, so far only the legendaries do it
>>
>>29582978
How would you know? Isn't it possible that the type changes to fit the appearance instead? Or that type and appearance don't necessarily correlate all the time?
>>
File: a68.png (301KB, 520x678px) Image search: [Google]
a68.png
301KB, 520x678px
>I just dont see it
>nuh uh
>I refute you thus
OP in a nutshell
>>
>>29582104
>Gamefreak's definition of a Ghost is different from mine!
>m-muh patterns!
>>
File: image.png (114KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
114KB, 384x384px
>>
>>29582990
>The look needs to convey it somehow.

The piercing red eyes, my dude.

And even if it didn't convey it, why does it "need" to convey anything? You just think it has to because you want it to, because your simple mind can't comprehend a Ghost being something that isn't a floating purple shape or a possessed spoon.
>>
>>29582990
It's an owl. A common horror element. It already conveys it.
>>
>>29582990
>They fell short because it's easier for them
If that's what your excuse boils down to, I don't care.
It is what it is and your boo-hooing isn't going to change anything but get everyone annoyed with you.

They clearly know more about Pokemon than you do. I suggest you accept it.
>>
Jesus christ. It's grass/ghost. Get over it.
Your constant shit flinging about its type will change nothing.

>REEEEE im retarded
>REEEEE i dont like change
>>
>>29580399
>Venusaur is a Dicynodont
>Decidueye is an extinct owl
this meme must stop
>>
>>29582990
>The key to a standard is that it takes a degree of effort and competence to maintain it.
But you're under the assumption that your "standard" for what the Ghost type should be is somehow correct. How do you feel about Sensu Style Oricorio?
>>
>>29582957
Banette wasn't intangible either. It was a haunted object, which is still a clear association to ghost. Before gen 3 there was only one ghost, so you can't use it to set every standard for the type, otherwise all the creatures would be the same. But all the standards they did set still clearly and comfortably fit within the ghost archetype, including Nincada's animated discarded shell.

Decidueye is forced into the type by being a generic living animal that has no features resembling ghosts.
>>
>>29583186
Why do they have to abide by the standard they set? Nothing has ever forced them to, you're a fool if you create these standards in your mind and think the people designing the Pokemon have to abide by them. Just because a pattern creates the illusion of a standard doesn't mean one exists, and even if one did exist nothing states it has to be followed.
>>
>>29583164
It's a standard that objectively takes more effort and skill to maintain, just by virtue of having stricter criteria. I prefer designs that exhibit more effort and skill.
>>
>>29583186
>Decidueye is forced into the type by being a generic living animal that has no features resembling ghosts.
its an owl, its spooky.

>>29583248
>my moms sandcastle takes effort
kek
>>
>>29583248
>making a design more like previous Pokemon of the same type takes less effort and skill than making something unique

I find it hilarious that you actually believe it would have taken more effort and skill to tack on a few retardedly blatant "ghost" features like making it purple or giving it a wispy tail or something. You really think it wasn't designed specifically the way it was for a reason? Any Pokemon can have its color scheme and design altered to make it look like a ghost, it's not hard at all, but you actually think because it doesn't look like a ghost, it took less effort and skill to bring into fruition? You retarded or something?
>>
>>29580399
Owls look spooky
>>
I'm just going to caps lock this if nobody minds

OWLS ARE A COMMON HORROR ELEMENT.
>>
>>29583008
Okay, I'm going to take a step and assume by pink puffball you just mean cutemons in general. To that I'd respond with Primarina, Mimikyu, Carbink, Mawile, Alolan Ninetales, Mr. Mime, and Granbull.

If you're saying they can't be cute, beautiful, or pink/purple, then that leaves Mimikyu, Carbink, and Mawile. I'd say that's an awfully narrow restriction, however, especially considering you're ruling out legendaries like Xerneas and the Tapus from the get-go.
>>
2bh the whole spiritual aspect of owls in Hawaiian culture justifies the typing enough
>>
>>29583186
>before gen 3 there was only one ghost
No. There were four, with two separate Ghost-typed lines. Glad you've researched the subject sufficiently.

Decidueye isn't Ghost/Grass. It's Grass/Ghost. Typically the secondary typing denotes that a ghostly energy is capable of being used. Lunala, a secondarily typed Ghost is not intangible. Hoopa, a secondarily typed Ghost is not intangible. Same with Shedinja, Marowak, Golurk, and Aegislash.

Decidueye is capable of manipulating spiritual energy very effectively. That makes him a Ghost-type. Don't really see how you can argue this point further.
>>
>>29583288
Not all owls are spooky, especially not this one. It's like saying "it's a cat, it's spooky" just because black cats are spooky.

Yes, ghost has a few lazy designs, but taking a non-ghost and slapping ghost type on it is a new level of laziness. It means they stopped caring about conveying type altogether.

>>29583343
It wasn't designed to convey ghosts, that's perfectly clear. Yes, if they finalized a design, decided after the fact to change its type, and then didn't adapt the design, it took them less effort. If they designed a Pokemon that for no discernible reason has no connection to its type, that's a lack of competence, and probably also effort.
>>
>>29580399
Oh look, you're writing a novel about something that bothers you. Are you perhaps upset by something beyond your control?
>>
>>29583248
Why should Gamefreak care about maintaining that particular standard? Where is there any creative challenge in having every Ghost Pokemon look like a literal spirit? Should boundaries not be pushed?

Sensu Style Oricorio just looks like a dancing bird, but the lore fits in with how it could be Ghost type.
>The Sensu Style Oricorio is quiet and collected. By means of its dance, it gathers the spirits drifting about in an area and borrows their power to fight.
>>
>>29583486
You know, a black cat would be perfect for our first normal/ghost type.
>>
>>29583486
>Not all owls are spooky
of course they are, especially the one the Rowlet family is based on.
>>
>>29583452
>Lunala, a secondarily typed Ghost is not intangible
Lunala is literally made of space. Hoopa is clearly a spirit. Shedinja is an animated discarded shell. Marowak conveys death with its bone ensemble. Golurk and Aegislash are animated objects. Their designs convey ghost.

There is literally no way to tell that Decidueye "manipulates spiritual energy" from its design, even if you know its lore.
>>
All Pokemon have to look exactly like what they are. If they don't, how in the hell will my wife's son be able to tell what is what?
>>
>>29583562
It's an owl. They're associated with that.
>>
>>29583486
>It wasn't designed to convey ghosts, that's perfectly clear.
It's not perfectly clear TO YOU. And who says it has to be? Who's to say they didn't settle on Grass/Ghost first then think "Hey, let's not go with a traditional ghost design. Let's let the lore speak to that"? Sure, we only have the website info to go off of, but we have yet to see the Pokedex entries.
>>
File: IMG_2212.png (319KB, 498x515px)
IMG_2212.png
319KB, 498x515px
Jesus Christ why do I even browse /vp/? OP is a clear example of what's wrong with this site, fat degenerate man children who are overly obsessed with a children's game or it's blatant underaged children browsing this board.

Fuck /vp/. Fuck you OP. I'd rather be associated with the genwunner and ""overdesigned"" faglords on /v/ than to be associated with you autistic spergs like OP.
>>
>>29583585
>>
>>29583562
>marowak conveys death with its bone ensemble
Explain normal Marowak, Vullaby, Mandibuzz.

>hoopa is clearly a spirit
Explain Hoopa Unbound.

>lunala is literally made of space
So space is ghost now? Huh. Explain why Olympia is a Psychic-type gym leader. Based on what you mean by "space", explain why Palkia is not Ghost-typed.
>>
File: owl.png (59KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
owl.png
59KB, 500x250px
You have been visited by the spooky naked rowlet of Halloween. Reply to this post, nothing will happen but I'll feel good.
>>
File: alolan politoed.jpg (785KB, 2253x2073px)
alolan politoed.jpg
785KB, 2253x2073px
>English name evokes 'deadeye', a nickname for snipers
>also refers to the Pokemon's glowing red eyes

Anyone who doesn't think that's enough to make it seem ghostly has never seen an owl's eyes shimmering in the darkness.

>walking in the forest at night
>suddenly see piercing red eyes staring at you in the nearest tree
>an arrow lands at your feet
>you can't escape
>>
>>29583646
I guess OP is just a very brave little faggot. Owls aren't spooky enough for him.
>>
>>29583517
Because it affects immersion. If Pokemon types are just completely disconnected from their designs then the world feels less internally consistent, which creates a weaker setting and narrative. There is a difference between pushing a boundary and eliminating it because it makes your job easier.

I never said Oricorio is a good ghost type.

>>29583607
>why do people on a pokemon board care so much about pokemon?
Did you get lost on your way to facebook
>>
>>29583620
Literally explained it in the OP.
>>I guess [pokemon] should be [type] then, since it looks like [type]!
>That's not the argument. Most Pokemon could be visually justified as a different type. The important thing is that their actual type has a reasonable connection to their design. Owl could be grass, flying, normal, dark, maybe even fighting. But ghost is not one of the types that works on it.
>>
>>29583690
>Because it affects immersion.

You can't be serious.
>>
>>29583707
>But ghost is not one of the types that works on it.
That's not your call.
>>
>>29583636
ok
>>
>>29583732
Not an argument
>>
File: For-You..jpg (29KB, 495x331px)
For-You..jpg
29KB, 495x331px
>>29583743
How desperate for attention are you?
>>
>>29583636
Happy Halloween, spooky naked bird
>>
>>29583690
>wasting my time arguing with anons on an anonymous board over a baby game is an efficient use of my time!
Did you get lost on your way to reality
>>
>>29583757
How desperate for an argument are you?
>>
>>29583743
Neither is your incredibly fragile sense of immersion.

If something like that is enough to take you out of the game then that's your fault, not the design's and not the designers'.
>>
>>29583707
>But ghost is not one of the types that works on it
How the fuck does fighting make more sense than ghost for a nocturnal bird known for its unsettling appearance and sounds at night?
>>
>>29583690
Your "passion" for Pokemon borders on psychotic, anon.
>>
>>29583774
Yeah, how could a creature that doesn't make sense in the context break immersion
>>
File: 185Sudowoodo.png (728KB, 1280x1280px)
185Sudowoodo.png
728KB, 1280x1280px
I couldn't agree more, OP.

I mean, look at this thing. A Rock type? Seriously? Immersion fucking ruined!
>>
>>29583831
Sudowoodo is an outlier here. It's entire thing is that it's a rock mimicking a tree.
>>
>>29583808
It has big kicking legs. People have been surmising fighting coverage on it ever since Rowlet's reveal.

Actually, it speaks volumes that no one on the planet inferred ghost type from its design.

>>29583831
Sudowoodo's entire point is to deceive. Its design wouldn't work if Pokemon weren't supposed to look like their type. Moreover it's brown and hard, so it's still reasonable as a rock type.

I never said that a design has to be obvious about its type, just that you should be able to make a reasonable connection to it once you know the type.
>>
>>29583824
ITS A FUCKING VIDEO GAME
>inb4 not an argument
I'm convinced you are legit insane. The whole pokemon series is riddled with unrealistic and over-exaggerated mons even moreso than the FUCKING owl. The fact that something so trivial can break your """"immersion"""" simply boggles my mind. If you want some realism in your life, go outside for once.
>>
>>29583824
Because it does make sense, you just don't seem to like the reasons it's justified.

Not to mention

>in the context

Of what, Pokemon? There are tons of Pokemon that make no sense. Explain why Aggron is part Rock type or why Gligar is Ground/Flying and not Poison, despite being a scorpion. Explain why Corsola is a Rock type even though coral isn't a rock. Explain why Foongus and Amoongus are Grass types even though mushrooms aren't plants. Explain why dragons can look like fucking anything in this series yet all be considered part of the same group.

If none of these things broke your immersion like Decidueye seemingly does then you're either nitpicking because you just don't like it or you're just bullshitting.
>>
>>29583943
>realism
I'm arguing that a creature should look more like a ghost. Realism is obviously not the point. It's about internal consistency.

You've boiled it down to the "I don't care" argument, so >>29580667
>>
File: image.jpg (156KB, 511x428px)
image.jpg
156KB, 511x428px
>>29583690
>>29583943
OP's only upset because he'll never be "immersed" in a pussy.
>>
>>29583690
>I never said Oricorio is a good ghost type.
I never said you did. But I'd argue its lore make it a reasonable Ghost type. It's a living being that can harness the power of wandering spirits, so it's effectively a Ghost type.

As for Decidueye, it depends. The current lore is lacking a solid ghost background, but I can hold out for the Pokedex entries and future announcements.

>If Pokemon types are just completely disconnected from their designs then the world feels less internally consistent, which creates a weaker setting and narrative.
This is based on your perception of consistency, which is wildly subjective. Sure, I think most of our initial reactions were "Ghost type?! What?" but found it to be reasonable after reading into it and seeing its signature move. Your threshold for "reasonable" is just much higher than everyone elses.
>>
Owls are literally called 'ghost birds' in some regions

fuck off
>>
>>29583965
Aggron is clearly made up of multiple minerals. Its body looks like steel or rock. Ground is a pretty loose type, but scorpions are desert animals. Again >>29583707. Corals and corsola at least look like rocks, I didn't say they can't be an exaggeration of real life, just that their design has to convey that. It's grass type, not plant type, it's things that grow from the earth/creatures with such things. Dragon is about as arbitrary as fairy. Dragons don't even have a concrete definition, all sorts of monsters were called dragons or chimeras or whatever and all sorts of things called fairies. Ghost is more well defined as spirits and undead, which the owl doesn't convey in any way.
>>
>>29584263
>Ghost is more well defined as spirits and undead, which the owl doesn't convey in any way.
Besides the fact that owls are omens of death in many cultures...

But ignoring that for now, tell me why a Ghost Pokemon must always be a literal ghost.
>>
>>29584350
Owls are also symbols of wisdom (psychic), the moon (fairy), forest guardians (grass, i.e. Decidueye), or just kickass birds (normal). The animal is not self-justifying, its design needs to reflect it. If they're not literal ghosts they need to convey their connection to ghosts, and it doesn't do that by dressing up as Robin Hood.
>>
>>29584119
The move has nothing to do with the design though. The arrows do not suggest ghost in any way, ghost is just slapped on them. You could just as easily slap an element on fists or claws or a tail or whatever else you need to justify the type.

Pokemon have always had moves of other types. It's not reasonable based on that.
>>
>>29584414
>forest guardians (grass)
You mean like spirits?

>The animal is not self-justifying, its design needs to reflect it.
How much does it need to reflect it? Its design is an owl, animals often associated with ghosts and death. Did you know a world exists outside of your box?

>they need to convey their connection to ghosts
This thread has already provided plenty of evidence for that. You refuse to respond to those comments though.
>>
>>29584553
I responded to them in the fucking OP. The design has no connection to ghosts. Owls are not just inherently ghostly, I already said that's like saying "it's a cat, it's ghostly" just because black cats are spooky and considered an ill omen everywhere. Sure you could make a black cat ghost, but a fluffy red maine coon? You would need to add more to it.

This owl is basically like the maine coon. It's not a ghostly owl in the slightest.
>>
>>29584506
>The move has nothing to do with the design though.
I'd say it has everything to do with its design considering it's a signature move. "Design" goes well beyond the static image in the OP.

>Pokemon have always had moves of other types. It's not reasonable based on that.
But (usually) preferentially have moves of their respective types. So I guess we'll see what movepool Decidueye gets...
>>
>>29580399
Are you also triggered by the fact that Giratina is Ghost type?
>>
>>29584637
>This owl is basically like the maine coon. It's not a ghostly owl in the slightest.
of course it isnt like the coon, its like the fucking black cat, because its an OWL, a motherfucking animal that many cultures regard as one spooky ass bird. Get. It. Inside. Your. Head.
>>
>>29580399
Wasn't aware chestnuts were animals. Extinct ones, at that.
>>
>>29584734
oh we posting pokemon with arbitrary types now.

Hey man check out this "ice type" haha.
>>
>>29584711
The fuck does that have to do with anything? You could give Hippowdon every ice type move in the game, but it still wouldn't be justified as an ice type. No, design does not go past the creature's visual design if said design fails on its own. It's a stopping point for the relevance of everything else.

>>29584761
Cats in general are also symbols of death in many cultures, not just black ones. Doesn't mean you can just make a regular ass cat dressed as superman and call it a ghost type.
>>
>>29580399
The Hawaiian connection and red eyes are good enough for me. Just needs a good pokedex entry to seal the deal.
>>
>>29584637
>The design has no connection to ghosts
You literally refute this point in the OP by acknowledging that owls attack from the shadows and are sometimes associated with spirits.

>Owls are not just inherently ghostly
Go ahead and nitpick all you want. Owls have ghostly connotations across many cultures. It's not unreasonable to associate owls with spirits. http://aviary.owls.com/owls-superstions.html
>>
File: 600px-509Purrloin.png (155KB, 600x600px)
600px-509Purrloin.png
155KB, 600x600px
>>29584844
>Doesn't mean you can just make a regular ass cat dressed as superman and call it a ghost type.
you could make it dark type
>>
>>29584804
Behold this spooky ghost.
>literally only a ghost because its purple
>>
>>29584734
Giratina is a floating demonic gas monster. Nothing un-ghostly about it.

>>29584791
It's a glyptodont.

>>29584897
You're right. And the owl would work fine as a dark type, with its devious fighting style.

>>29584906
It's a ghost because it's almost entirely air and floats around eerily. The visual connection is clearly there.

>>29584889
I said that's not enough, because it pertains to a fucking billion creatures. That's never been a justification for a ghost type because it's way too general.

It's not unreasonable with cats either, but >>29584844
>>
>>29584979
>It's a ghost because it's almost entirely air and floats around eerily. The visual connection is clearly there.
no it isn't, it's just a balloon.
>>
>>29584844
>You could give Hippowdon every ice type move in the game, but it still wouldn't be justified as an ice type
This is a Tundra Hippowdon. See? I didn't change its appearance, just where it resides. I changed the lore. And I made it work.

If Hippowdon kept its design and COULD learn every Ice type move with no explanation, how else would you justify that without giving it an Ice typing?

>No, design does not go past the creature's visual design if said design fails on its own. It's a stopping point for the relevance of everything else.
It's YOUR stopping point. How are idle animations, lore, and movepool not at all relevant?
>>
>>29584979
>it's almost entirely air and floats around eerily
Yes, you have successfully described a ballon
>>
>>29584734
seconded
>>
File: 250px-100Voltorb.png (56KB, 250x250px)
250px-100Voltorb.png
56KB, 250x250px
>it's based on an electrical object!
So is the fucking pokedex, including most the other steel types. No, Klinklang is not solid steel, it's electrical.

>he attacks with electricity!
Like any other normal type. Nonspecific electricty does not define electric type. Electrics actually turn INTO electricity and shit, which is not in its description.

>orbs are associated with electricty sometimes!
Every fucking object has some energetic interpretation in some culture. You don't just make a generic object and call it electrical, its design actually has to actually convey its electricalness or energy. There is nothing electrical about it, it's a generic orb in vibrant pokeball cosplay.

>it's a mimic, mimics are known as "shocking" it's a pun!
>Gamefreak designing Pokemon based on English puns

>its signature move is electric type!
No it isn't you dumb fuck explosion is normal.

>I guess [pokemon] should be [type] then, since it looks like [type]!
That's not the argument. Most Pokemon could be visually justified as a different type. The important thing is that their actual type has a reasonable connection to their design. Orb could be Normal, Steel, Dark, maybe even Ghost. But electric is not one of the types that works on it.

>Gamefreak is just expanding the definition of electrics!
i.e. Gamefreak is too lazy/incompetent to meet their own design standards, so they stop trying, and you're defending that. If a type can't be reasonably connected to its design, that's a failure of the design. Yes, it's happened before, on things like Jynx, Lucario, Palkia... and those are not models for good design. If you have to liken Voltorb to Jynx, that should already tell you that something is wrong.
>>
>>29584989
>it's just a balloon.
Yeah, that's what I said.
>almost entirely air and floats around eerily

>>29584994
No you didn't, you just pulled a completely disjointed explanation out of your ass to justify a nonsensical design, kind of like Gamefreak with this owl. If it was supposed to depict an ice type, it would be doing a terrible fucking job.

Its idle animations dont depict ghost either. Lore and movepool are irrelevant because they're completely arbitrary and don't salvage a design that doesn't do its job.
>>
>>29584979
>And the owl would work fine as a dark type, with its devious fighting style.
and it works as a ghost type too, since its a fucking owl.
>It's a balloon because it's almost entirely air and floats around eerily.
ftfy OP.

It looks like you just have a problem because its green and not purple. Someone mind making a color swap to stop OP's jimmie rustling?
>>
>>29585077
balloons aren't ghost though you sour fuck
>>
>>29584979
>it pertains to a fucking billion creatures
Except it doesn't
A ghost cat would make a fair deal of sense anyway, and I'll bet you money to malasadas that Ghost Eevee would be more cat than fox, dog, or anything else Eevees draw design from.
>>
>>29584979
>I said that's not enough, because it pertains to a fucking billion creatures. That's never been a justification for a ghost type because it's way too general.
I know you're exaggerating, but surely you're implying that there are plenty of examples of general animal groups more "ghostly" than owls. Name 10 of them.
>>
>>29585085
>Ghost Eevee would be more cat than fox, dog, or anything else Eevees draw design from.
Ghosteon will be the xoloitzcuintle pokemon. Screencap this
>>
>>29585066
>pokedex actually becomes a pokemon
>it's a rotom, hence electric type
Top kek, nice try. And again, >>29583707, Klinklang doesn't have to be electric, it just has to be justified as steel, and it is.

Voltorb is based on a machine so electric is justified. There is no inconsistency.
>>
>>29585077
Jigglypuff is also a balloon but isn't a ghost type. Weird huh. Almost as if what you just said isn't good enough to be a ghost, almost as if it being purple is the only reason its a ghost.
>>
Aw, it's adorable how you think anyone gives a shit about your opinion, OP
>>
What makes all of this worthwhile is that it's totally pointless. Decidueye will more than likely become one of the most beloved Ghost types in the series.
>>
File: 1476354613244.png (298KB, 418x394px) Image search: [Google]
1476354613244.png
298KB, 418x394px
>>29580399
>THIS FICTIONAL OWL IS NOT WHAT IT SHOULD BE FUCKING CHANGE IT CHANGE IT CHANGE FUCKING IT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE FUCK YOU OWL YOU ARE NOT A GHOST REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

You're so fucking retarded you'd make the Special King of the Tards think "Wuh-wow whuh-whuh-what a whuh-wetard!"
>>
>>29585121
>Voltorb is based on a machine so electric is justified.
why is porygon a normal type then?
>>
>>29585082
Nothing is a ghost you retard. Ghosts don't exist. But as far as real life objects go, balloons are ghostly in the way I described. Balloon phobia is even related to their resemblance to ghosts. It also fits the haunted object motif.

>>29585080
>>29585125
To think I'd avoid this insipid argument by literally addressing in the OP. I give you people too much credit.
For the hundredth fucking time, >>29583707

>>29585085
Yeah, a ghost cat would be fine, if it actually looked like a fucking ghost and not just a regular cat in bright clothing. Again, it's not self-justifying.

>>29585088
I said animals are associated with spirits, and they are. There are spirit versions of just about every animal.
>>
>>29585121
>Klinklang doesn't have to be electric, it just has to be justified as steel, and it is.
>Robinhoot has to be justified for both types
>>
>>29585142
Funny considering all the reponses to this thread.

>>29585171
HOW MANY TIMES >>29583707
ELECTRIC WOULD WORK BUT NORMAL DOES TOO, because normal has virtually no criteria.
>>
>>29585202
>To think I'd avoid this insipid argument by literally addressing in the OP. I give you people too much credit.
youre just handwaving the argument by repeating the same old "IT DOESNT WORK, NO NO IT DOESNT" when it has been shown a thousand times it pretty much does work you big cunt.
>>
>>29585205
Are you seriously this fucking stupid?

Klinklang only has one type. If it had a secondary nonsensical type like grass or poison, then yeah it would be unjustified. The Pokemon's ACTUAL type is what matters.
>>
>>29584994
>How are idle animations, lore, and movepool not at all relevant?

because they don't support his side of the argument, duh
>>
>>29585202
>balloons are ghostly in the way I described
But balloons aren't ghostly at all, they're thought of as floating around fuckin whimsically, not spookily. A hood shadowing the face is much more ghostly than floating around like a children's toy
>>
>>29585218
but ghost has no criteria either seeing as literally just a balloon can be a ghost
>>
>>29585077
>you just pulled a completely disjointed explanation out of your ass to justify a nonsensical design
Well yeah but that's pretty good for 5 seconds of thought. You could probably develop this background a lot further with some hours of work.

>If it was supposed to depict an ice type, it would be doing a terrible fucking job.
Except that we already have some preconceived notion of Hippowdon based on its moveset and where it resides. If Gen 4 came out with a Hippowdon with the SAME design that could be found in Mt. Coronet right before the snowy route or around the shores of Lake Acuity, having a partial Ice typing might make sense because it would fit in with where its found and the lore. Purely visual depiction offers less depth.

All I'm saying is that you seem to have a strong bias on what something should look like based on nothing truly objective.
>>
>>29584979
>Giratina is a floating demonic gas monster
>gas monster
no it isn't. There's nothing gaseous about it at all. It looks like a fucking centipede if anything.
>>
>>29585202
>There are spirit versions of just about every animal.
But it's not uniform across all creatures. Some are preferentially associated with spirits. Owls being one of them (whether you like to acknowledge it or not).
>>
>>29585268
We already went over this. >>29581519 Drifloon fits under non-solid (mostly) and haunted object. Plus you need serious cognitive dissonance to deny the obvious resemblence in shape to conventional cartoon ghosts.

>>29585235
Way to show your complete illiteracy. The argument has nothing to do with the point in question. The point isn't about what type it should be, it's about what it shouldn't be. To use his example, I wouldn't be arguing that Jigglypuff SHOULD be ghost, I'd be arguing that it SHOULDN'T be steel.
>>
>>29585354
>Drifloon fits under non-solid
>non-solid
but it is solid. its a balloon
>>
What do ghosts have to do with candles?
>>
>>29585309
It doesn't matter how much background you develop when your supposed ice type is a brown and black hippo that spews out sand. That's a failure of the design. Distribution is just as irrelevant and arbitrary as moves and lore, you can stick a Pokemon in any grass patch you want. Ideally all of these things will match the design, but they won't salvage one they don't match, even if they all match each other.

You could give Magmar grass type moves, lore and distribution, but that won't suddenly make it make sense as a grass type.
>>
>>29585372
Balloons are filled with air, fuckface. There is very little material compared to air. Even Spiritomb has a solid object with its rock, but its mostly non-solid.
>>
>>29585446
>Balloons are filled with air, fuckface
yeah exactly so its a flying type.

Nothing suggests ghost. it's just a balloon.
>>
>>29585331
Oh? Then why didn't ANYONE ever even consider ghost type before it was revealed? If owls are so commonly associated with ghosts.
>>
>>29585472
I did. Fuck you.
>>
>>29585466
Being almost entirely non-solid is ghost-like. It's also a haunted object.

Like the Froslass fag, you're not doing yourself any favors by trying to force this as the "exception."
>>
>>29585472
because starters haven't dropped types before you silly willy~
No one really expected it to lose flying. But here we are. And honestly? It's better this way.

>>29585494
>Being almost entirely non-solid is ghost-like.
So bronzong is a ghost type now then? Chingling also? Wow! Sure showed me.
Its a balloon and only a ghost because its purple, get over it.
>>
>>29585520
HOW MANY FUCKING TIMES >>29583707
YES, BRONZONG AND CHINGLING WOULD MAKE SENSE AS GHOST TYPES, DOESN'T MEAN THEY HAVE TO BE. ONLY THEIR ACTUAL TYPES NEED TO BE JUSTIFIED. STOP DEFLECTING WITH THIS SHITTY FALLACY JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN'T ADDRESS THE REAL ARGUMENT.

It's a ghost because it's mostly air and it's a haunted object. Get over it.
>>
>>29585520
>Its a balloon and only a ghost because its purple

This made me realize that I want an Alolan Drifloon line that puts more emphasis on being a hot air balloon and is fire/flying type.

Too bad all the Alolan forms are going to gen 1 mons. Maybe it would be a bad type for it anyway though.
>>
>>29585548
But its not a haunted object? it's just a balloon with a face.
Aegislash is a haunted item, it looks like a possessed sword.
Drifloon looks like an animated and living balloon, not a possessed item.

>>29585557
That'd be cool.
>>
>>29585548
>It's a ghost because it's mostly air and it's a haunted object. Get over it.

And its a ghost because its an owl and owls are spooky birbs, not just because of a shitty brother bear style spirit animals, but because they are related to spirits. Get over it.
>>
>>29585566
Trevenant also has a face as an object, it's still a possessed object. And again, Drifloon falls under non-solid and the similar shape to cartoon ghosts is there. The ghost connection is obvious.
>>
>>29585608
Trevanent is a literal spirit wearing a tree though?
Doesn't apply to drifloon at all. Drifloon being a living breathing balloon. Its only ghost because it's purple.
>>
>>29580399
in some fictional stories huntsmen and rouges were known as the ghosts of the forest
>>
>>29585605
>Every fucking animal has some spiritual interpretation in some culture. You don't just make a generic animal and call it a spirit, its design actually has to actually convey its spirituality or spookiness. There is nothing spooky about it, it's a generic animalistic owl in vibrant Robin Hood cosplay.

>Cats in general are also symbols of death in many cultures, not just black ones. Doesn't mean you can just make a regular ass cat dressed as superman and call it a ghost type.
>>
>>29585618
Trevenant isn't literally haunting a tree, it's a spirit in the shape of a tree. Its DESIGN is just based on a haunted object so the ghost connection is obvious. Drifloon is also based on a haunted object.

Drifloon falls under non-solid and the similar shape to cartoon ghosts is there. The ghost connection is obvious.
>>
File: 708Phantump.png (106KB, 414x414px)
708Phantump.png
106KB, 414x414px
>>29585645
Repeating your previous wrong statement doesn't make you right autismo.
Look at phantump, it's just a spirit wearing a mask. Trevanent is more of that.

Drifloon has nothing spirity about it at all, its just a balloon.
>>
>>29585622
>still no Ghost cat pokemon
>>
>>29585566
>An animated sword is OBVIOUSLY a ghost
>But another animated object isn't because I say so

?????
Drifloon literally drags lost children to hell, and according to the Pokedex is
>"A Pokémon formed by the spirits of people and Pokémon."

It's a ghost.
>>
>>29585666
>Repeating your previous wrong statement doesn't make you right autismo.
>it's only a ghost because it's purple

The irony is staggering.

Drifloon is spirity in the same way as Phantump, it has the basic shape of a ghost and is mostly non-solid. Its little eyes don't change that. Even Aegislash has an eye.
>>
File: good day.png (8KB, 274x242px)
good day.png
8KB, 274x242px
>>29580399
>I will never be this nuts over vidya
feels good
>>
>>29585723
But aegislash isn't animated? it's very expressionless, the only parts that move are its shadowy arm parts.

Drifloon is a creature in appearance and behaviour.

>>29585727
But its a balloon and not a ghost? Are you fucking blind?
>>
>>29585738
It's not expressionless. Especially in amie.

It's a ghost balloon you fucking moron. The connections are clear as day no matter how much you deflect.
>>
>>29585747
>Especially in amie
no sorry in game things like lore and moves don't count.
>>
File: 1477505249844.jpg (17KB, 390x310px) Image search: [Google]
1477505249844.jpg
17KB, 390x310px
>this entire thread
Thanks Decidueye, you're bringing to light who's autistic and who's not.

This is proof autists shouldn't play any kind of game.
>>
>>29585762
Are you retarded? Drifloon doesn't have expressions in its splash art either. Epic double standard my dude.
>>
Dude, you are OBSSESSED.
>>
>>29585772
yes it does? It looks like it's actually an animal not just a possessed balloon, sorry you're just this blind and stupid.
>>
>>29585785
Why do you always start you sentences with a rhetorical question? You sound like a fag.

>you're just this blind and stupid
>this balloon looks like an animal
>>
File: 1413199646795.jpg (78KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1413199646795.jpg
78KB, 1280x720px
>>29585785
>Drifblim looks like an animal
>>
>>29585803
it does though
>>
>>29585738
I meant animated in the D&D sense of 'magically possessed'.

But even then the vast majority of ghost Pokemon BESIDES Aegislash are emotive and creature-y so either way, whatever.

Drifloon is absolutely no different than Litwick or Rotom.

Also
>Balloons are animals
holy shit my fucking sides
>>
>>29585807
What animal does it look like?
>>
>>29585817
like a drifloon
>>
>>29585822
Did you owlfags just give up
>>
>>29585828
I didn't say it was based on an animal, just that it looked like one.
>>
File: animals.jpg (81KB, 965x724px) Image search: [Google]
animals.jpg
81KB, 965x724px
I found some wild balloons in their natural habitat
>>
>>29580399
Your argument this whole time has basically been "If Decidueye at face value is not enough to convince me of its typing, then it is a bad design or the typing is bad!" Two main problems with this.

1. How you take things in at face value is highly subjective. You come in with incomplete knowledge on the folklore of owls, an incomplete knowledge of Hawaiian culture, an incomplete knowledge of Decidueye itself, some assumption of what a ghost should be, some assumption of what should warrant a ghost type, and form an opinion off of that. Can you justify all of these assumptions?

2. Even if there was some objective standard for determining the most "reasonable" typing based on visual appearance and the actual typing didn't match this, you conclude this is a bad thing. Why? I'd argue the lore provides greater depth which can answer unknowns (e.g. why it doesn't look traditionally ghostly) but you conveniently skirt the issue of lore saying it's arbitrary. Not necessarily. If the lore answers some outstanding questions and seems consistent with the design, then I'd say it's enhances the design.

Basically, Dedicueye's chosen design and typing sparks interest. There's obviously more here than your typical 'plant meets ghost' Pokemon, so read up on it if you want to know more. But you're refusing to do so.
>>
>>29585807
Jigglypuff is an animal that looks like a balloon.
But Drifloon is just a literal balloon.

Or is Magnemite an animal now, too? Chandelure? Electrode? Vanillite?
>>
>>29585838
They look very happy. Were they just fed?
>>
>>29585847
Vanillite does.
>>
>>29585622
>Every fucking animal has some spiritual interpretation in some culture.
It's not "some" culture. It's a whole bunch of cultures. And it's not a spiritual interpretation. It's a literal connection with spirits as in "this motherfucker is haunted".

Stop hand waving and get over it
>>
>>29585855
Please direct me towards the animal that Vanillite resembles so that I may adopt one.
>>
>>29585862
see >>29585831
>>
>>29585838
It's not Friday, this can't be their natural habitat.
>>
>>29583936
>It has big kicking legs
That's not enough. Fighting type in Japan is like a Hero type. A good guy battling evildoers. Lore would be important in establishing this, because it wouldn't be apparent from its design.

>Actually, it speaks volumes that no one on the planet inferred ghost type from its design.
Except the people you conveniently ignored.
>>
>>29585831
If it meant "WAHH IT'S JUST AN OBJECT" fags would shut up for good, I'd accept it.

But they never will so instead I'll just say:
what
>>
>>29585894
it looks like it would occur naturally in the world rather than being made or directly resultant of humans ala magnemite or unown.
>>
I love these threads unironically. Because no matter how much OP cries it will still be grass/ghost.
>>
>>29585902
Blimps and balloons are pretty darn man-made. In this case it's a man-made object born from the spirits of dead humans. How do you feel about Chandelure?
>>
>>29585935
Chandlure is resultant of humans but not made by them, but drifloon looks like it would occur without humans.
>>
>>29585889
>Fighting type in Japan is like a Hero type. A good guy battling evildoers.

That is not it. Fighting type in Japanese is かくとう, which means hand-to-hand fighting. Any sort of martial artist would work for it, not just heroic ones. It makes sense for it to imply that the fighter is more straight-forward or "honorable", when dark type exists to be more dirty fighters, but the name of the fighting type in Japanese doesn't mean they have to be good guys.

Not defending fighting type for the owl or anything, just want to correct this mix-up so many people have about the type
>>
>>29585843
This owl doesn't reflect the folklore that interprets it as spiritual. Again, the cat argument. Can't just make a superhero cat and call it a ghost. It's not enough to simply stick an owl in Hawaii and call it a ghost. That's like the Hippowdon argument above, putting it in a snowy area wouldn't suddenly make it a well designed ice type. What did I misinterpret about the owl itself? The ghost argument is based on Gamefreak's own standards, which they loosened to make their job easier at the cost of internal consistency.

Wrong, I didn't say "most reasonable," I said reasonable >>29583707. Sudowoodo is something that explains why it looks different, and it's STILL justifiable as its actual type on a physical level >>29583936. Lore only enhnaces the design if the design stands on its own in the first place. The owl's just contradicts it.
>>
>>29585942
I'm curious as to what separates purple blimps and purple chandeliers in this scenario, but I'll move on.

What about Sableye? He's literally just some guy who eats rocks with no other lore or design implication that he's ghost besides >purple.
>>
>>29585889
You can infer heroism from a design, and frankly, the owl screams it. It's fucking robin hood.
>>
>>29585952
>Again, the cat argument. Can't just make a superhero cat and call it a ghost.
You can make it dark type, because cats are evil.

And you can make decidueye ghost because it's an owl, which are spoopy.

>but it's just Robinhood!
It's an archer. And it shoots pretty well so it's a deadeye. Robinhood is just a nickname for it.
>>
>>29586046
You can make the owl a dark type too because they're fucking dicks. THIS is pretty much consistent with every owl. Spirituality is not.

Spiders are spooky too but that doesn't mean you can just make Galvantula a ghost type. That's never been enough to justify ghost.
>>
>>29585985
Sableye looks like a ghost though.
>>
>>29585952
>This owl doesn't reflect the folklore that interprets it as spiritual.
Details please.

>Again, the cat argument. Can't just make a superhero cat and call it a ghost.
You can't make any arbitrary cat and call it a ghost. But this isn't some arbitrary owl.

>The ghost argument is based on Gamefreak's own standards, which they loosened to make their job easier at the cost of internal consistency.
How did "loosening" the definition of a Ghost type (whatever that was in the first place) make their job "easier" when making an owl "ghostly" isn't that hard to begin with? I'd say they took the bolder, more creative route.

>Wrong, I didn't say "most reasonable," I said reasonable
That's why I put the quotes around "reasonable" and not "most reasonable." Are you really arguing over an adjective?

>Lore only enhnaces the design if the design stands on its own in the first place
Sudowoodo's design + typing would hardly be justifiable on its own if you didn't have it's name (which is connected more to lore than design) or backstory.
>>
>>29586077
>THIS is pretty much consistent with every owl. Spirituality is not.
Says who? Anyone who knows a bit of folklore about owls will prove you wrong.

And spiders are spooky, yes. But they are also poisonous and related to bugs. So they fit with the ghost/dark/bug/poison types.

Owls fit with flying/dark/ghost/ground (some cases). That makes its ghost typing justifiable.

>but it doesn't!
It's your own opinion. It doesn't mean shit.
>>
>>29586077
Owls are reasonably spoopy creatures. Yes, you can't just make any owl a ghost. Which means that elements of design, lore, and movepool matter. And I think Decidueye fulfills the necessary requirements here.
>>
>>29586125
I'm going to need details from you. You said I don't understand the myth but didn't explain how. How is the myth reflected in the design?
The ghost type is arbitrary on it. All of its design elements are poured into its grass and flying origins, with an archery theme completely unrelated to ghost. Arbitrarily making its arrows "ghost arrows" is no different than taking Charizard's flame, calling it a "ghost flame" and making it a ghost type.
How is slapping on a type with no visual connection to it more creative than actually incorporating it into a design? It isn't bold, it's lazy. They just wanted to change it without adapting the design at all.
The adjective changes the statement. If we remove most, you're asking why it's a bad thing when the typing has no reasonable connection to the appearance. Because it breaks consistency and immersion.
The design is still reasonably connected to the type on a physical level. Once you know the type you could even infer that it's some kind of mimic, so the design + type alone tell a story, without need for lore, moves or specific distribution. You would never connect Decidueye to ghost without the secondary shit, and even with it, the design itself isn't ghostly, so it feels inconsistent.

>>29586144
>>29586149
Spiders don't just inherently work as ghosts. Again, could you possibly see Galvantula as a ghost type, just because spiders are "spoopy"? I don't care what bullshit answer you give me, you just consider that yourself.
>>
>>29586149
Meant to reply to this individually. Lore and movepool are irrelevant if the design doesn't reflect it. Decidueye has no ghostly features.
>>
Nobody cares except nerds
>>
>>29586230
>Again, could you possibly see Galvantula as a ghost type, just because spiders are "spoopy"?
You wouldn't?
Grab black widow
Give it green eyes
Some dreamcatcher lore
Wa la. A ghost/bug, ghost/poison,dark/bug.
>>
>>29580399
>flying type
Owls aren't birds ya dingus
>>
>>29580399
>its design actually has to actually convey its spirituality or spookiness.
It looks like we have John Gamefreak in our midst boys and he's setting rules for his peons at the pokemon company to follow.
>Waah waah why don't gamefreak use my ideas and follow my rules.
Grow up you whiny bitch.
>gamefreak can't design pokemon based on English puns
And why tf is that? Cause they wouldn't be aware of it? I would have thought a huge million dollar company like gamefreak would be able to do basic research.
Decidueye literally has deadeye in its name.
Also what is Braviary, there are countless more but I can't be fucked to remember and list them.
Who tf told you that a pokemon has to be the literal representation of their typing anyway, just cause shit like geodude and gengar exist doesn't mean that every thing has to be a literal ghost or literal grass.
I consider all 18 types to be as elemental as fire, water and grass, so why does every design need to fully incorporate the typing, does your autism not let you just accept something without bitching?
>>
Besides the fact owls are considered 'ghost birds' and the themed shadowy attacker that decidueye is going for, plus the hawaiin lore and extinct owl, you realize it has glowing red pupils right? And has markings under its hood to make it look like it's wearing a masquerade-like mask, which has a lot of history in hiding from spirits recognizing you or even in some folklores, a mask to hide the face you ARE a ghost.

Also just look at the god damn shiny. It's a spooky ghost owl. Get over it.
>>
>>29581519
This guy is so mad
>>
>>29580399
I agree, Gamefreak fucked up.
>>
>this thread

The stretching some people do to justify Decidueye's typing...
Thread posts: 354
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.