[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are the original gen 3 games the least liked in the series? Everyone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 11

File: 250px-Emerald_EN_boxart.jpg (30KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Emerald_EN_boxart.jpg
30KB, 250x250px
Are the original gen 3 games the least liked in the series? Everyone hates on the remakes, but nobody even talks about R/S/E
>>
Emerald is still the best Hoenn game.
>>
File: 1477673787879.jpg (12KB, 229x206px) Image search: [Google]
1477673787879.jpg
12KB, 229x206px
>>29578969
So can someone explain what the fuck is going on with Rayquaza's face on the Emerald boxart?
It's bothered me since I was a kid.
>>
>>29578969
i like them a lot, and have fond memories of playing them. last non emulated game i played was replaying my old ruby cartridge.
>>
>>29578969
Gen 3 is shit period. Battle Frontier doesn't save Emerald from its terrible main-game.
>>
File: 1477961197733.jpg (38KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1477961197733.jpg
38KB, 250x250px
>>29578969
Guess he just has a bad underbite
>>
>>29579193
Shit, meant to quote >>29579011
>>
I like them.
>>
>>29578969
R/S? Nah, i liked them, the only bad base games for me was D/P
>>
File: verd.jpg (37KB, 465x310px) Image search: [Google]
verd.jpg
37KB, 465x310px
>>29578969
Probably is.
We discuss other gens all the time, but we barely say anything about Hoenn (except muh Battle Frontier). Yet, a facility can't save a game from being bad.
I personally don't like gen III at all. Always felt like a rehash of kanto, and bringing almost nothing new to the franchise. Both double-battles and abilities are great, yet poorly executed in those games.
Also, easily the worst font in any game.
>>
Emerald is my favorite and a massive upgrade over the other games. Kanto is a glitchy first run but its remake isn't as good as Emerald. Johto is garbage Sinnoh is solid save for the HM problem. ORAS can rot
>>
>most hated

gen 1, 4, or 6 depending on who you ask
>>
>>29579774
>bringing almost nothing new to the franchise

LOL WHAT

gen 3 added the most in the series by far with gen 2 trailing right behind it
>>
>>29578969
most anons here think XY are legitimately bad games so there's that
>>
>>29578969
I only hated it since I was playing on a pirated Ruby that couldn't save anymore
all my progress gone...
>>
>>29578969
I wouldn't say they're the least liked as much as they're the most underrated.
The least liked would probably be DPPt.
>>
>>29579774
>Always felt like a rehash of kanto,
Elaborate. In addition to having new visuals and assets as well as lacking in the presence of a lot of older pokemon there was a story with entirely new antagonists and in the case of Emerald two of them. It should have felt like less of a rehash than GSC did in all honesty which reused a lot of assets from gen 1 as well as Team Rocket.

>and bringing almost nothing new to the franchise.
Aside from a major game rehaul with many bug fixes
Natures
Abilites
Contests
Secret bases
Double battles
and a few QoL improvements such as the running shoes, an entirely new box system that didn't require saving and the return of the Safari Game. As well as an IV checker in Emerald.

>Both double-battles and abilities are great, yet poorly executed in those games.
Yeah no, they certainly weren't as varied as they were but in later generations things did get fairly cluttered with double oriented moves that were situational at best and abilities that functioned in the exact same way as older ones just with a different name.
In other words it just created an unnecessary mess. However we are recovering from the later generations in SM by the looks of things.
>>
>>29578969
Emerald is at least the 4th most liked Pokemon game here.
>>
>>29579774
fixed in emerald and apparnetly the reason for it and move selection being red boxes instead of pointing arrows was because of the shitty font or something i forgot??? i do feel like r/s were messy overall tho
>>
Just because this board doesn't rampantly shitpost about it does not mean it's a bad game, it means the opposite.
>>
>>29578969
I've actually recently come to the realization that I enjoy playing Hoenn the most. Emerald is an absolutely great game and I don't understand why people don't like it. Then again, I don't really bash games based on their gen's Pokemon designs.
>>
>>29583964
I don't think anyone dislikes emerald

Emerald, Platinum, B2/W2, HG/SS are all loved here by pretty much everyone. Maybe not plat due to the speed but whatever
>>
>>29578969
Gen III is really hated by some Gen I fans. It was literally a 2003 Gen VI. The graphics were improved, but if you stop and see the mons are way more weird look than the 251 before looking really strange. You cant visit the other regions or even transfer mons from there, people had to wait until FRLG and Colosseum/XD for catch em'all. There are a plenty of mecanics which arent present in, like day&night and animated sprites pluuuuus Misty is out for a who and his brother in the anime.

I'm not a genwunner, I'm an Unovabortion, but this is an analysis on why Gen I fans really hate Gen III.
>>
Emerald and Leaf Green are some of my favorites.
I tried replaying Crystal this summer and it was tedious, even though I remember HG being my favorite game.
>>
File: That's a lot of single stages.png (23KB, 254x577px) Image search: [Google]
That's a lot of single stages.png
23KB, 254x577px
>>29578969
Sapphire is probably my least favourite main game for few reasons. I don't appreciate making half of the routes and 22% of the Pokedex water related. Also, there are many questionable Pokemon designs to me.
Additionally, I don't buy into 'third game is much better'. Even though Emerald has more features, it still has the same graphics and the same Pokedex. And I don't care about battle facilities.

I enjoyed Omega Ruby much more although it still has similar problems. At least, improved soundtrack, graphics and characters made the journey much more pleasant.
>>
File: 1477896553279.png (367KB, 568x454px) Image search: [Google]
1477896553279.png
367KB, 568x454px
supposedly gen 3 is where most people fell off the franchise. they realised this and that's probably why fire-red/leaf-green were made to bring back the old fans.

i personally loved gen 3. because i was very young starting with gen 2, i didn't really understand gameplay much. sure i could play the game, but i avoided trainer battles, didn't know about stats, etc.
during gen 3 i finally understood the deeper gameplay elements and along with it, much more exploration was encouraged in the hoenn region. though they were short, the experience playing them is unforgettable.
my first playthrough of ruby was the first time it felt like i was traveling all over the world, compared to small regions like kanto and johto. emerald especially brought the challenge together with the battle frontier too.

it's probably underappreciated because people tend to focus too much on the negatives (ie: water) but i personally think it's one of the better games with its subtle quirks and tech upgrades on the past gen games.
>>
>>29578969
>but nobody even talks about R/S/E

Did you join /vp/ last year my newfriend?
>>
>>29587037
FR/LG were made because you couldn't transfer your team or anything from RBY or GSC to R&S, and when they first launched you couldn't even rebuild. Imagine; no Gengar, no Snorlax, no Chansey and thus no Blissey, for several months.
>>
>>29587054
that's actually why i highly valued colloseum and gale of darkness on the gamecube. purely because of the johto pokemon.

>mfw i was suckered into buying 4 gamecube gba adapters

those motherfuckers fell out if you even moved an inch!
>>
>>29579774
Did you really play the game?
>>
>>29579302
you motherfucker. i haven't gotten a single gold symbol yet. but i've got all silvers though.
>>
>>29579302
>>29587129
How the fuck do you even get a Battle Palace symbol?

I've got all gold save Battle Palace, I don't even have the silver. Fuck that place.
>>
>>29587143
there's a guide somewhere online that'll tell you how pokemon react based on nature.

basically pokemon have two battle stances. i'm fuzzy on the numbers, but i believe it's the same trigger activation as blaze/overgrowth which was something like 33% max hp.

your pokemon will behave a certain way until it reaches that threshold. once it does reach it, it takes a different approach to battling.

for example: a pokemon with X nature will be a pacifist until it hits 33% max hp, at which point it will become aggressive.

there's a little girl in one of the buildings at the frontier which will assess your pokemon and tell you how they will behave, but it will be vague and in kids terms using words like "ouchies".

the battle palace is about knowing your pokemon's nature and teaching it the right moves that it will work best with. basically, you need to do 110% studying to create a good team.

good luck. i hope this helped!
>>
>>29578969
I love Emerald. but BW 2 or any DS game basically shits on it.

I do recommend the Emerald 386 rockhack, however.

especially since I realized that VBA link emulation doesn't work very well so I can't trade anything from FR/LG to Emerald.

plus, the hack is great since you can buy all the tickets for secret islands and then capture deoxys or whatever.
>>
>>29578969
Emerald is one of the most liked game in the franchise, and to compare the Gen3 games:
> Emerald >>>>> ORAS > RS
>>
They don't have the unique atmosphere and retro charm of RBY or GSC, and don't have the refined mechanics of DPPt the series has merely added onto since. So they're just there.
>>
>>29578969
Maybe with gen 6.
But honestly I have seen a lot of people praising Emerald a lot.
The main reasons are fighting both Team Magma/Aqua, all the weather trio, the first gym rematches of the franchise, better teams for most of the trainers and the BF.
Some people on /vp/ said they prefer Emerald compared to ORAS and think they should have taken more Emerald features.
I like the games but the games get boring after Llilycove city because of water. I feel like if Hoenn got a respectable amount of water before Lilicove City and more normal routes after it, Hoenn would have been better and a more enjoyable region.
>>
File: pjojo8.png (688KB, 1024x785px) Image search: [Google]
pjojo8.png
688KB, 1024x785px
I think Pokemon worked the best during R/S/E and FR/LG, in terms of actual walking speed and animation etc. Gen 1-2 were slow as hell and gen 4 was somehow even slower but the Gameboy advance games ran at a perfect speed IMO.
>>
I'm pretty sure that Hoenn being released when most fans were adolescents and the fact that it's the easiest to emulate makes Emerald the most popular.

I'm a gen IV fag so don't start with that shit.
>>
>>29587877
well that makes sense
no wonder I don't remember it as well
>>
>>29586986
>Absol
>Questionable

[citation needed]
>>
File: 1438807097711.jpg (127KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
1438807097711.jpg
127KB, 550x550px
>>29587877
>They don't have the unique atmosphere and retro charm of games from incredibly dated platforms
>the old game doesn't have the refined mechanics of the newer games
>>
>>29587877
>They don't have the unique atmosphere and retro charm of RBY or GSC
>implying they're not the most memorable for all the ROM hacks that used their tilesets
>>
File: Single Stage Pokemon.png (115KB, 1463x616px) Image search: [Google]
Single Stage Pokemon.png
115KB, 1463x616px
>>29588307
The list I've pasted doesn't represent Pokemon I find questionable in terms of design. I just wanted to point out how many single stage Pokemon are there in 3rd gen.

I think I need to clarify: I am not a huge fan of single stage Pokemon (even though some are cool like Zangoose or already mentioned Absol) and because of that Hoenn's dex suffered in my eyes. Granted, first generation had a lot of single stage Pokemon when it came out, however they were of higher quality in my opinion (Electabuzz, Kangaskhan, Aerodactyl, Lapras, Scyther etc.).

Here's a list of single stage Pokemon from every gen (I've made it long time ago when I was breeding). Just take a look at sheer numbers and compare them to Pokemon introduced in each gen.
>>
>>29589200
There was 21 single stage pokemons introduced in gen 2, exactly the same amount as gen 3.
>>
I see a lot of people praising Emerald but talking about RS like they're unplayable shit, which I don't get.
I agree that Emerald fixed certain things from RS, but they're not that different, and if Emerald is a 8/10 or more, I wouldn't put RS below the 6/10.

I see more people hating the region than the games, though. Which makes even less sense to me.
I mean, we're talking about the region that introduced environment variety to the franchise, with practically no gates and 60fps. The water problems tend to be heavily exaggerated in this place, making it worse than it actually is and treating it like the water routes automatically make the games a 0/10 in some cases.
My only real complain with the region was the lack of day/night cycle; that was just lazy.
>>
File: Wingull, please.png (11KB, 702x105px) Image search: [Google]
Wingull, please.png
11KB, 702x105px
>>29590421
Can't argue with that. I'm thankful that half of them got some sort of evolution or preform because it was ridiculous.

>>29590696
>I see a lot of people praising Emerald but talking about RS like they're unplayable shit, which I don't get.
It is even more apparent when people discuss 4th gen. Apparently Diamond and Pearl are total shit while Platinum is 'gaming kino' or whatever people call it.

>I see more people hating the region than the games
This is a reasonable opinion. Even though some people consider complaining about water routes a meme, it is still a problem. Not everyone enjoy going back to inventory every 200/250 'steps' while travelling on a wide, empty (before getting Dive), blue mass.
Besides that, Hoenn is notorious for backtracking (you go back to Rustboro twice, you go back to Norman etc.).
And then you have Pokemon encounters. Pic related shows Wingull availability. No two ways about it - it's ridiculous.

I don't find Hoenn horrible, however it isn't great either.

>no gates
Is this really such a big problem?
>>
>>29591109
The bactracking is well done in Hoenn since you can use several shortcuts when you need to go back to certain places.
No gates is a positive point for the region.
I agree on the pokemon variety in the water routes, that was not nice.
>>
>>29591557
Aye, I can agree with you first point. You don't really need to use Fly to backtrack which is nice.

I've meant to quote 'gates', not 'no gates'. My bad. Anyway, I didn't really mind having gates in newer generations (nor transitions between town and routes in Omega Ruby).
>>
Emerald is a classic

Nobody cared about gsc until hgss for a good reason
>>
>>29583917
>i do feel like r/s were messy overall tho
Yeah it was basically XY if XY had content.
They rehauled the entire game once they found out that the hardware wouldn't allow trading between older games. Along with the new assets, new Pokemon and mechanics like contests and secret bases it they were kind of stretched thin so something had to give.

It's amazing they came out in the state they did and not like DP or something.
>>
>>29578969
Nope, Emerald is loved by pretty much everyone save your regular contrarians, unlike RS.
>>
>>29578969
Gen 3 has a fucking hard on for double-team; I hate that crap so much. It was the last generation where the type of attacks determined if it was physical or special, which thankfully went away in Gen 4.

But there was way to many shitty water types in the late game... with 3 water HMs; at least dive is better than whirlpool...
>>
Gen 3 is great
>>
>>29579774
>bringing almost nothing new to the franchise
Nigga, gen 3 brought most changes to the franchise and laid the very foundation of the current meta.
>>
>>29579011
>what the fug
FTFY
>>
>>29579774
>i didn't play the game but i'll lie anyway the post
>>
>>29578969

The original Gen 1 games are far more hated
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.