[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone actually replayed RBY recently what with it being on the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

File: yellow.jpg (152KB, 898x890px) Image search: [Google]
yellow.jpg
152KB, 898x890px
Anyone actually replayed RBY recently what with it being on the VC? I know genwun is a meme here but what are your honest thoughts?

I just finished playing through Yellow and honestly I still really enjoyed it. Of course there is major nostalgia playing a part, but I was surprised how many of the newer features I didn't really miss.

I think the level curve is pretty nice as long as you're raising a full team like any good trainer should be - it never felt like too much of a chore to replace a team member with a new mon if I felt like it. The only exception would be a lot of the water mons that you can only get at really low levels once you get the Super Rod. I also like how Butterfree is actually good early-game, I can't think of any other Pokemon game where I'd actually bother with a starter bug even for a short while.

Love the layout of the Kanto region and the sense of freedom once you get to Celadon. You get Fly at just the right time so getting around never feels like a pain.

I actually quite like the limited movepools/ limited use of TMs as I feel it forces you to plan your team more carefully too, but I get why competitive shitters hate this.

Biggest complaints are definitely UI ones (having to open the menu to use HMs, fucking manual box change, no move info in-game, limited item space - all this stuff is dreadful)

Also, Alakazam is a completely game-breaking mon, even in-game. From the moment Kadabra learns Psybeam it OHKOs literally everything you come across except other Psychic types. It even gets Recover so you don't need to stock up on potions. I actually boxed it when I realised there was no reason to ever use anything else.

Anyway, these games are certainly flawed but they still hold up IMO, everything that makes today's pokemon games fun is still there in RBY. It just makes me think that genwun hate is a bit of an overblown reaction to an admittedly annoying part of the fandom. But what do you guys think?
>>
>>29575873
>Yellow starts you off with the worst possible Pokémon. An Electric type Pikachu to go up against a Rock/Ground gym
>Can't evolve Pikachu
>RB Surge has one Pokemon.
>Dark Caves are hell
>If killed by Hyper Beam no recharge
>Speed based Crits
>Focus energy halves Crit
>Bad Type distribution
>Wrap
And so on is why it's bad
Also you can glitch the game and get a Level 100 Nidoking and Gengar in Viridian Forest and sweep through the game easily.
>>
>>29575873
Yellow sucks. Red and Blue are okay, I guess.
>>
>>29575873
They need to remake Yellow.
>>
I bought red and played it.
Still fun.
Exploiting all the glitches I know now made for a very unique experience.
>>
>>29576045
>Glitches that I never noticed until someone pointed them out to me makes this game bad and not fun

Nice post anon, how about you play Gen 1 next time and form your own opinion then?
>>
>>29576083
Eww. No more Ashime pandering, thanks.
>>
>>29575873
My biggest complaints were dealing with Wrap and Fire Spin spam every single fucking time I saw an Arbok or Bellsprout, the non-obviousness that you should skip Sabrina and go to Koga first (her team sweeping you doesn't count, coming from Platinum it just looks like the game wants you to "grind moar"), the lack of any sort of move remover (RIP my Charizard's moveset, didn't need a fourth slot that wasn't Cut anyway), and a lack of any real challenge. (Pikachu can fucking glass anything to pieces until you can catch an Abra, then RIP literally everything as you dump EXP into its grateful ass and Psywave through the whole Elite Four)
>>
>>29576156
I played Gen 1 without glitches dumbass.
The OP asked how we felt replaying it
>>
>>29576156
You
>>
Quick quesh, can you still do the missingno glitches and related in the vc games or not?
>>
>>29576279
Lurk more newfag.
>>
>>29576280
You can perform all the glitches jsut like in cart, but yellow was patched even in cart from the cinnabar island one, so it's trickier to glitch....
>>
>>29576045
>Yellow starts you off with the worst possible Pokémon. An Electric type Pikachu to go up against a Rock/Ground gym
so raise a mankey, butterfree or nidoran. all of them can deal with it easily. not a valid complaint

>Can't evolve Pikachu
you can trade it to red or blue and evolve it that way, but this is still dumb so yeah, valid complaint

>RB Surge has one Pokemon.
i think this is yellow surge actually, but still a valid complaint

>Dark Caves are hell
there's one (unless cerulean is dark too?) and you're given a HM to deal with it. not a valid complaint

>If killed by Hyper Beam no recharge
this is literally a good thing, and pretty much the only sensible way to balance HB as a move. even if it was a mistake, 'fixing' this was dumb. not a valid complaint

>Speed based Crits
>Focus energy halves Crit
>Wrap
all these are niche competitive stuff, who even cares. valid complaints but you're still gay

>Bad Type distribution
fair enough

>Also you can glitch the game and get a Level 100 Nidoking and Gengar in Viridian Forest and sweep through the game easily.
dumbest complaint i've ever read
>>
>>29575873
I actually forgot how cramped the game felt. I mean the item limit really got on my nerves. And somehow the field of vision felt really small compared to latter games. Made map navigation a chore. Especially in maps with puzzles like Team Rocket HQ.

Still. A great game and nice nostalgia trip.
>>
>>29576323
>yellow was patched even i cart
Wait for reals? I remember doing the glitches to get mew and the Pokémon that needed trading. Hmmm anyways thanks I just wanted to know before I waste 19 dollars in the eshop
>>
>>29576374
You can do the mew glitch, but you can't do the item multiplying glitch in yellow IIRC.
>>
>>29576374
You can get Mew easily, I don't think that glitch is changed from RB.

What is changed is that most Missingno are dangerous to encounter and cause glitches.

You can still do it but it's more finnicky, you need a pokemon with a certain Special stat
>>
>>29576347
>wrap
>defending this bullshit
Non-player detected
>>
>>29576228
>Psywave

Kys
>>
File: Golbat RB animated.gif (210KB, 410x340px) Image search: [Google]
Golbat RB animated.gif
210KB, 410x340px
I like more RB than Y, I don't know why I love so much those badly drawn sprites.
>>
>>29576427
Or Psychic or Confusion, the Special is so high it doesn't fucking matter.
>>
>>29575873
I started a Blue playtrough recently.

>picked charmander
>critical hit 3 times in a row blue squirtle
>critical hit 2 times a wild ratatta
>my nidoran-m did 2 crits in blue squirtle

And I didn't even faced Brock Also when I played Red in a long time ago I got wrapped for 4 turns straight. I don't ever want people to say that gen 1 mechanics don't show up in a regular run.

Sorry, but I'm not nostalgic with this. I got a much better "Gen 1" experience in FRLG.
>>
>>29576387
>can't do the item multiplying glitch
Fuck, that sucks.
>>29576410
Gonna have to do some research now and I forgot how to do the glitch anyways since it has been a while.

Thanks for the help anons.
Wonder if natures and iv are chosen randomly or will you be able to manipulate them when transferring to s/m...
>>
>>29575873
It made me appreciate how far the series has come.

Kanto was boring and lifeless
The glitches were terrible
Variety was garbage
Competitive battles were a tiny meta
System limitations were laughably terrible
>>
>>29575873
I played Red. It was fun, and I beat it in about a week, but I dunno if I'd replay it for reasons other than nostalgia.
>no quality of life improvements like running shoes
>battle mechanics are ass, Wrap and Fire Spin can one-shot you if you're unlucky
>Red doesn't get the superior Game Boy Color palette, so I'm playing an inferior version to my (still functional) cartridge and GBC
>no WiFi, thus killing any chance of a retro meta
>only upside is I can abuse Missingno to get infinite TMs, but infinite TMs are a QOL feature that later games have anyway
>>
>>29576362
Oh man, agreed.
I think even my PC is nearly out of room, because I'm hoarding cloned TMs instead of teaching them.
>>
>>29576387
>>29576490
>you can't do the item multiplying glitch in yellow IIRC

lads you can do this, I duped all the good TMs in my yellow copy. read up on it
>>
gaen 1 is teh baest porkyman genertation evar!
>>
>>29576045
Actually some of those bad elements tied to moves are actually beneficial in your hands.

>Primape gets crits 100% with Karate Chop (too bad it wasn't fighting)

Personally, I love abusing the Leech Seed/Toxic stacking.
>>
>>29575873
I haven't bothered with the VC editions. I still have my original carts if I wanted to replay them, but honestly, if I was going to revisit Gen 1, I'd do it with LeafGreen just because it looks really nice. I loved Blue when I played it way back in the day, and enjoyed Silver just as much, but I'm not gonna lie and say I didn't enjoy the respective remakes 100x more. SoulSilver has yet to be dethroned as my favorite pokemon game. That might change come SM release, but we shall see.

As far as the Butterfree comment, might I suggest you pick up a Compound Eyes Scatterbug? Vivillon has the stats and movepool to be an actual powerhouse late game with improved accuracy Hurricane (STAB'd and with near perfect accuracy), Infestation, Quiver Dance and Sleep Powder. I don't know if you just missed it or what, but it was widely talked about while Gen 6 was still young as being one of the best early bug lines in the series.
>>
>>29575873
Replaying RBY gave me a fresh perspective on the ability to run in later games and how it effects those games' difficulty. In RBY you have two speeds: Walk and Bike. Walking is slow but careful. You always have the option to walk back to a Pokemon center, but frequent backtracking will leave you little time for actual training/advancement. Biking, on the other hand, is quick but unwieldy. It leaves you open to lots of mistakes, such as battling trainers you don't want to or forcing more wild encounters. The tension between these two forces does a lot for the game:
>healing items are much more important. Saves you a possibly treacherous trip back to the Pokemon Center
>Dig/Teleport are much more useful, putting more focus on your Pokemon team
>Escape Rope is more useful as well. Money matters cause you gotta buy this shit
>The world just feels more dangerous
I enjoy the quality of life that running has provided, but I definitely feel something has been lost in the transition.
>>
>>29576465
Psywave is not a good example, anon. It randomly does between 1 damage and 1.5x your pokémon's level. That's what we are getting at, in a not-so-childish way as kys
>>
>>29576466
Git gud faggot
Half the fun of playing RBY is adjusting to the different mechanics and learning to take advantage of them. Agility/Slash crit machine Farfetch'd gives his life meaning
Kids just don't wanna learn something new
>>
File: pokemon_yellow_3ds_team.png (413KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon_yellow_3ds_team.png
413KB, 800x600px
>>29575873
Yeah I replayed it when it came out on VC with this team and had a similar experience. Thought I'd miss a lot of the new mechanics but instead had a blast.

Got the pokedex completed too so I can send any gen 1 mon I want to SM when they come out.
>>
>>29576759
cool team brah
>>
>>29576642
Fuck, I meant Psybeam. Sorry.
>>
>>29576171
It'd be worth it just enjoy the salt from people like you
>>
How to enjoy Yellow if you hate the anime

1. Box Pikachu
2. That's it
3. No, that's literally it

Jessie & James show up like... twice, maybe 3 times? And I don't even think they're referred to by name.

The thought of anyone specifically hating Yellow because they hate the anime is hilarious
>>
>>29575873
I started to play Yellow recently, and the only thing I hate so far is the lack of variety in in some mon's movepool.
>>
I disliked that I had to candy up Charizard to get Flamethrower for THE ONLY STAB Fire move in his moveset besides Ember.
>>
Beedrill is also awesome as bug is super effective against poison in rby. I'm playing through blue right now.
>>
File: 20160919_103124.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160919_103124.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>29575873
Im a Genwuner and honestly, for me its good for a 10min nostalgia trip and thats about it. Its unintuitive and bare-bones compared to later titles which is to be expected since its the first generation.

I only need like 6 pokemon to complete the pokedex on my original cart and it feels like a chore.
>>
File: 0dZzBZ6.gif (2MB, 427x480px) Image search: [Google]
0dZzBZ6.gif
2MB, 427x480px
>>29575873
Played blue for the first time in July, I played gen 1 a little on emulators before but got bored and stopped playing. It just doesn't feel right when you're locked to a computer and you don't have the freedom to move around the house while you play. Playing it on the 3DS however was one of the best experiences I've had with a pokemon game and gave me new respect for the franchise. You're exactly right about not missing some of the newer features. Amie, berry farms and super training are neat to have but it feels good to play though a game where you don't have to worry about all that extra bullshit. Gen 1 only has the bare essentials and puts the entire focus on your team.
>>
>>29577813
The limited movesets are great and make every move feel they have a purpose unlike in newer gens where most pokemon have 5 moves that nobody will ever use, and while Wrap/Fire Spin may be a pain at least they're useful. They might as well not be in the newer games at all.

The bugs in Gen 1 are fun to mess around with and make holding off on weepinbell/meowth's evolutions actually worthwhile for those sweet 100% crits. The focus of gen 1 is clearly on the main adventure and only autists play competitively so it isn't a big deal.

The world seems open and easy to get around, it's cool how you can battle some gyms out of order and enter Fuchsia city from different routes. I didn't even use fly for most of the game since it was so much fun to cycle from place to place, made it feel like a real adventure.

The level curve felt good, no need to grind at all. Most people would probably grind to be the same level as the E4 but I think their shit movesets are supposed to make them beatable with level 40-50 mons since that's where most people would be at that point. That's what I did and felt like it provided a decent challenge and was fun.

I can imagine the game being a drag if you had the battle effects on, I turned them off half way through because they're so fucking slow (blasting through the game felt great with them off) but was pleasantly surprised when they turned themselves back on during the Champion battle. It was a nice touch.

I loved the goofy sprites of R/B too. They're fucking crazy and ooze character. I was excited when I played yellow and saw that the sprites where updated but quickly became bored by how boring they were. R/B's sprites were all over the place with joints moving in impossible directions and over the top foreshortening, Yellow's sprites were more well-proportioned but put a lot of limitations on how they could articulate the pokemon's poses.

Platinum is still my favorite. I'm excited to bring my bluebros and mew over to S&M
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.