[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So since there's at least a thread shitting/adoring on one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 13

File: Let's discuss.png (120KB, 1872x1108px) Image search: [Google]
Let's discuss.png
120KB, 1872x1108px
So since there's at least a thread shitting/adoring on one of the starters everyday until everyone gets bored of arguing over their opinions, i thought it would be nice for a thread that HAS ACTUAL CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISM and not just the same old mundane "OH IT BAD CUZ I THINK IS UGLY/HIDEOUS/NOT WHAT I WANTED" or "IT'S GOOD CUZ IT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED/NOT UGLY/IT MAKES YOUR ANGER TEARS TASTIER" or something bland and with nothing to back it up
So let's actually criticize them for what they did right/wrong on these two, so to see what worked and what didn't
Also if anyone is wondering why luchalitten isn't here, it's because the reasoning for why people like/dislike it is actually vocal and not just mud throwing on either side
>>
>>29447864
Rowlet3 needs more green, Popplio should have had a gender ratio change.
>>
>>29447976
Ok, that've fine.
>>
>>29447864
They just don't feel like starters to me. The bird looks like the final evo of an early route bird, the water pop star looks like a member of some form of roaming trio or stand alone legendary like Cresselia, and the lucha cat looks like a late game 3 stage evo mon like Krookodile. As much as people hate on Gen 5 starters, I have come to love emboar and serperior. These new starters just don't feel like starters.
>>
I don't like the humanlike bird aspect of the archer, I think it should have been more like an Owl. I dislike Blaziken for the same reason.

The popplio3 is ok, but >>29447976 this.
>>
>>29448035
that doesnt make sense. all starters are different. it cant not feel like a starter unless its not a starter. sceptile doesnt look anything like venasaur. does he not feel like a starter? thats like saying pikipek doesnt feel like a pokemon. it doesnt make sense because all pokemon are different, art styles change over gens and even over pokemon.
>>
>>29447976
Yep, that's pretty much it

Picture unrelated
>>
Rowlet3 is perfect. Both last gen and this gen they've heavily anthropomorphized the starters, and they hit the nail on the head with this guy. Rowlet3 still retains its owl physiology, while having a clever implementation of humanoid aspects (the cloak, bow, and bowstrings) weaved into its design.
Popplio3 fails. It took the laziest approach possible, which was to merely tack on accessories to an animal and call it a day. I like that they made it resemble a mermaid, but there had to be a better way to make it feminine then to just stick hair and jewelry on.
Whereas every detail of Rowlet3 contributes meaningfully both to its aesthetic and practical design, Popplio3's accessories only serve a cosmetic purpose, and really seem pointless otherwise. Why does it NEED hair? Why does it NEED pearls? Why does it NEED the pink fins on its tail?
Litten3 manages to fit awkwardly between these 2, while the belt seems somewhat unnatural and tacked on merely to give it a more humanoid appearance, it at least serves a purpose, and is present earlier in the design. It is appealing as a general character design, if not a bit cliche.
>>
>>29447864
They should have made popplio3 have a male form
>>
>>29447864
Rowlett's facial features seem too big for its head. Popplio's final seems incomplete: to me it looks like a partially plucked chicken or something.
>>
I think Rowlet is decent, but I want to know why it looks like it's wearing glasses. That's the one thing that bugs me about it.
>>
>>29447864
I don't like Rowlet3's hood, to be honest.
>>
File: Spectacled_Owl_RWD1.jpg (721KB, 3235x2426px) Image search: [Google]
Spectacled_Owl_RWD1.jpg
721KB, 3235x2426px
>>29448321
Not even a Rowletfag but the "glasses" do make sense.
>>
>>29447864

Rowlet really got the short end of the stick, heh? I'd rather have assassins creed and balio
>>
File: John Monsterdesign.png (148KB, 1274x358px) Image search: [Google]
John Monsterdesign.png
148KB, 1274x358px
>>29448188
>Why does it NEED hair? Why does it NEED pearls? Why does it NEED the pink fins on its tail?
>>
>>29447864
Rowlet3 is decent but itscolorscheme is really off. Also its head is kinda ugly in 3D.
Poppmaid is probably the design I hate the most of the entire franchise for multiple reasons;
It looks like a plastic toy.
The spikes are useless and the true meaning of overdesigned: they have no reason to be their and they are ugly.
It looks like rantanplan
The proportion are ugly
It's too feminine for a starter and isn't even gracious. I love some feminine designs like Gothitelle, Sylveon, Lurantis etc... Bu this one looks like complete shit.
The white and the flashy blue contrast is ugly as sin

Etc...
>>
>Rowlet3
Probably the best design out of the three. I feel like it at least has a consistent theme (owl that throws things) out of the three. Not just something that seemed to come out of nowhere for the other two. Granted, kicking was Rowlet's shtick, but did anyone really want another grass/fighting starter?

>Litten3
I'm a little surprised that they went with another starter that looks fire/fighting, and another fire starter that goes bipedal by the final stage. I don't necessarily mind the latter, since it doesn't necessarily make the line better or worse design wise (even if it's a little overdone), but combined with the former, it seems like they only design the fire starters around one consistent template since gen 3: Starter > transition phase where it takes on a certain look > bipedal fighter (except Delphox). Litten3 isn't necessarily bad; I'm more disappointed that of all the things they could've made Litten, they decided to go with something they've done plenty of times before (even if it's fire/dark).

>Popplio3
This is a little bit more complicated. On the one hand, I don't think it's design is bad, but on the other hand, I'm a little confused why they chose to design it so feminine. I know that a lot of other starters are very masculine, but that's because it's easier to sell masculine things to boys and girls than it is to sell feminine things to both. I commend GameFreak for taking on a more progressive stance with their starters, but at the same time, maybe they were too bold in not giving it a more masculine gender difference alongside it. I'm still picking it for my first playthrough, though.

>Overall
It's good. I thought the base form starters are comparable to the 5th gen as pretty likable, but the evolutions are a lot less disappointing. my ranking overall is...

Best 3>7>6>5>2>1>4
>>
>>29448466
I slightly get why they're there, but it still throws me off a bit. Maybe it's because they look too much like glasses rather than just some sort of face pattern, like it could get rid of it whenever it wanted.
>>
>>29448662
>It's too feminine for a starter

I love this meme.
>>
File: 0220.jpg (21KB, 250x238px) Image search: [Google]
0220.jpg
21KB, 250x238px
>>29448188
>every design element needs to serve some functional "purpose"
>implying those things don't add to the pop star theme

I'll give you the spikes, but I won't be surprised if they're some sort of defense mechanism.
>>
File: 12358538465.gif (2MB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
12358538465.gif
2MB, 300x300px
>>29448662
>It looks like a plastic toy.

What?

>The spikes are useless and the true meaning of overdesigned: they have no reason to be their and they are ugly.

To be fair, we have no actual information on Poppmaid so it's possible they're weapons like >>29449536 said. I can definitely see it doing some sort of twirl-of-death attack underwater.

>It looks like rantanplan

I'm not reminded of a cartoon dog when I look at it, but whatever.

>The proportion are ugly

Again, what? It's literally just a bigger Popplio with hair.

>It's too feminine for a starter

This is such a weak argument. What's wrong with having a feminine starter for once?

>isn't even gracious.
>proceedes to list Gothitelle as a good feminine design, which looks like a black layered cake

It's hard to take this seriously.

>The white and the flashy blue contrast is ugly as sin

Fair enough. But I think it looks fine.
>>
>>29449131
I'm fine with a feminine starter but I feel like Popplio3 is gonna suck when a little boy picks the "cool seal!" because Popplio sees confident and masculine - and then it will evolve entirely differently. Any little boys who pic that starter will be disappointed. Of it was feminine from the start it'd be fine.

Though I do think the design is clashy and an eyesore

Litten is the same way. Emboar at least went
Fiery super hyper pig > energetic fighter pig
Litten3 totally takes a shit on Littens very prominent personality.
Indifferent cat that is annoyed > rawr badass fighter who will aggressively taunt you

Rowlet does a sweet job of keeping it's theme unlike the other two. I think the 3D model for it is perhaps the shittiest for its design, compared to the other staters. Overall the look is a bit bland but in official art and fanart it looks gorgeous as hell - a good 3D model and some cool animations could make this guy a mega badass. Sadly it seems gamefreak will drop the ball with rowlet3, who has tons and tons of animation potential.
>>
>>29450595
>Popplio
>masculine

Nigga, what?
>>
>>29450658
Dark blue is more of a boy color
Red is also a boy color

He's very confident and a show-off

Little boys look at him and think he's cool. He's the "cool kid" starter pretty much.

Litten is just a cat, which everyone likes. Rowlet is a fat cute bird, with light colors. It's the feminine choice
>>
>>29450595
>implying Pokemon have to start off with qualities of their evolutions
>implying a proud, attention whore seal that becomes a pop star and a kitten that hides its emotions at first then becomes more open as it evolves doesn't make sense
>>
File: cat is worried.jpg (12KB, 296x296px) Image search: [Google]
cat is worried.jpg
12KB, 296x296px
>>29450746
>>29450595
How can anyone be this autistic
>>
Everyone who has said ONLY Poppolio3 NEEDS a gender variation needs to go off themselves

Nothing but trembling cucks being like
>b-b-but what about my preconceived gender norms!!!! Otherwise i am uncomfortable!!!

>im not GAY?! How am i supposed to like this design?! IM MALE!!!!! AND NOT GAY!!!

You need to fucking get over it. There is a feminine starter pokemon. They arent making you a seperate evolution because youre a fucking weak, whining, insecure manchild
>>
>>29448188
>Popplio3's accessories only serve a cosmetic purpose, and really seem pointless otherwise. Why does it NEED hair?
Mermaid are suppose to look flashy and beautiful to attract it's prey, so a beatiful long hair makes sense

>>29448644
This is so fucking weird... i didn't realize he had removed some of odish's leafs until he said he did, yet i was looking at it the whole time and never i thought there was something wrong with it other than it looks too simple.
>>
>>29450908
>feminine starter pokemon
>87.5% Male
>>
File: ariel-king-triton[1].jpg (91KB, 1018x635px) Image search: [Google]
ariel-king-triton[1].jpg
91KB, 1018x635px
>>29447864
I like Alola starters, but popplio3 males are so girly. Maybe a beard or change that pink star.
>>
>>29450595
At a glance popplio is neutral, but when you actually pay attention to its personality and the frill around his neck its pretty easy to tell he's fruity. Only young special ed kids will be truly suprised by what the little dancing queer becomes.
>>
>>29448035
Glad to know Im not the only one who gets a legendary vibe from poppmaid. I like it though. Makes her badass.
>>
>>29451283

Don't forget the pink nose.
>>
File: image.jpg (20KB, 190x224px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 190x224px
>>29451283

This.
>>
The designs themselves are fine, honestly.

Arrowl is fucking fantastic design that cohesively brings in a number of ideas without leaning too much in any one direction while keeping a stylish and cool design. I genuinely love his whole concept and execution.

Beltigre may not be everyone's cup of tea after three other buff anthro Fire starters, but the idea of a heel wrestler (and tiger fuckin mask no less) is cool if only to play off the idea of it fucking with the other Fighting starters.

Selkaria is fine design for what it is. My biggest complaint is that Brionne could've been a bit better of a bridge between Popplio and the final. But I was hoping for a clown, so no matter how well put together the design is, I'm always gonna be let down by it.
>>
>>29450746
In medieval times blue was the color of girls and pink of men. also, you wouldn't call a girl manly just because it wears blue right?

>>29451227
>>29451260
Emboar, Chesnaught and Samurott have beards, yet no one is saying they should have a female version without beard, you will have to lean to deal with this
>>
>>29451398
Grills can have beard too, anon
>>
>>29448188
The bubbles and starfish are headphones. The spikes are weapons, and her hair clearly floats and does magical shit. Everyone who dislikes poppmaid for more than just being feminine always comes off as a hater or troll due to how much you blatantly overlook its concept just to make it sound worse than it is. She's designed to kick ass and look beautiful while doing so. Its one of the best starter designs and is gonna have a huge fanbase because of it.
>>
How is poppmaid over designed? Literally one of the worst offenders of "it just gets bigger" ever. Hair & spikes hardly qualify as too much. Especially when it barely changed the first time it evolved.
>>
File: masaka cat.jpg (7KB, 261x189px) Image search: [Google]
masaka cat.jpg
7KB, 261x189px
>MFW the circus theme popplio was an actual thing all along and it's revealed that popplio3 has a beard and follows the circus freak bearded woman theme.
>>
>>29451433
Men also have long hair and eyelashes and Scottish guys wear kilts.
>>
>>29451506
It isn't even hair, it looks like a water mane similar to Keldeo's, that would make sense if it ends up gaining the fairy type.
>>
>>29451579
but men can't have hourglass figure
>>
File: laugh (3).jpg (94KB, 800x437px) Image search: [Google]
laugh (3).jpg
94KB, 800x437px
>>29451655
>but men can't have hourglass figure
>>
>>29451654
Im with you on that. I was just speaking design-wise for all the occasional anons who claim its too busy.
>>
>>29451655
That's not what my Chinese cartoons say.
>>
>>29451655
Tell that to my hips, anon. I've been shredding weight for months just to find out that even with abs and muscle lines all over my body, my hips still sit way farther out than my ribs.

It honestly looks like I'm just a ripped girl when you cover from my nips up
>>
File: stare (3).jpg (36KB, 313x313px) Image search: [Google]
stare (3).jpg
36KB, 313x313px
>>29451829
Anon, you better not watch any of those Boku no Chinese cartoon /a/ keeps recommending you
>>
>>29447864
I'm really personally off out by Robinhoot using a literal human weapon.

A ghost being a weapon is one thing
Using something as a bludgeoning weapon is another

But using an actual Bow and Arrow is really weird
>>
>>29448274
I'd have to agree. One thing I loved about Rowlett and dartix is that their faces look very owl like. R3 lost the cool barn owl look.
>>
I'm not sure why everyone thinks Rowlet's evo is the best. To me it's the worst of the trio.

I don't hate it but the hoodie thing is just so awkward in my opinion. I know the theme is Robin Hood but there could have been other ways to represent it. Rowlet's line obviously isn't going for the dramatic change like, say, Samurott, so I don't get why people think such a poor transition from smooth feathers to leaves is good.
>>
I air on the side of being annoyed by poppmaid''s accessories being kinda lame. Mostly because it reminds me of those my little pony or polly pocket toys. Like, I bet you could buy a poppmaid toy one day and do it's hair and add your favorite hair clips.
It's an okay design. I was just a ltitle disappointed because I really want to like a water starter again. Empoleon was my last water starter.
>>
File: 1352036726442.jpg (144KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1352036726442.jpg
144KB, 800x600px
>>29447864
Rowlet3 could lose the wing spots. I feel like they are just there for no reason and add nothing to the design. I do think I'd have preferred if it were more green but I guess I can see why it isn't.

Popplio3, to echo the most popular issue, shouldn't be 87.5% male. I get that there are both feminine and masculine pokemon that have both genders, but no one could have looked at this and assumed it would be pre-dominantly male. It was specifically designed this way and it conflicts with the notion of what it's gender would be. There is generally a theme that a particularly masculine or feminine pokemon will be at least 50/50.

Also I'd remove the little spikes on it's tail, but otherwise it looks fine.

>>29451398
Emboar, Chesnaught and Samurott are all almost entirely male as well. As mentioned, there does tend to often be some degree of gender lean based on appearance. For instance, yeah Machamp can be female, but it's gender ratio still leans towards male. Likewise, Gothitelle can be male, but it's gender ratio leans towards female to match it's appearance. At worst they are 50/50 outside of starters.

And just to address other starters, Serperior doesn't really look feminine so much as elegant. There is a difference. Likewise, most only think Braixen looks feminine because it's a fox and it's lower body resembles a dress. But Delphox does not look feminine, instead resembling it's obvious wizard theme.

That is NOT the case for Popplio3, which DOES look overly and obviously feminine, easily moreso than any other starter. And by that I mean it ends that way, unlike Chikorita. And I guarantee GF is aware that it looks exceptional feminine, which is jarring combined with it being almost entirely male.
>>
>>29447864
I don't really mind either of those, if I had to choose something to change, it would be this
>>29447976
>>
>>29447976
Do we have confirmation on Popplio's gender ratio? Seeing as we don't even know their types yet there's a possibility it could've been altered.
>>
>>29447864

Owl3 needs a bit more green, and I think the feather-fingers are weird- but then again, I can't think of a better way to for it to pull back on the bowstring outside of using its beak.

Luchalitten is my favorite concept of the three and I love its face, but those proportions are terrible. It veers too FAR into humanoid, biped or not, and I think more than other starters it's pushing a singular personality too hard- whereas the other starters having various natures and being unique individuals is more believable, Cat3 feels more like a character than a real pokemon.

Seal3 is a great design all around, but I do agree with some shitposters that it's too feminine, especially for male-skewed starters. It's not a bad thing to be feminine and I welcome these other designs that autists write off as waifu bait, but I feel like Seal3 is very OBVIOUSLY A CHICK. But actually, it's a trap.
>>
>>29448091
That's ridiculous. Of course the starters all have a starter "vibe" to them. Being new to pokemon you could pick the starters out of each gen. This one would be difficult.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.