[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain the hate Samurott gets. >Inb4 muh competitive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 12

File: 250px-503Samurott.png (55KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-503Samurott.png
55KB, 250x250px
Can someone explain the hate Samurott gets.
>Inb4 muh competitive
>Inb4 muh stats
>>
>>29375221
It is ugly.
>>
>quadruped swordfighter that looks nothing like its pre-evo
>>
>>29375225
its ugly and its a design curveball.
>>
literally because of muh competitive
>>
>>29375221
It doesn't learn shell smash and its stats are shit. Also this >>29375225
>>
Artists block makes the jump from dewott weird
the whisker moustache
samurai pokemon. Special attack is higher than attack
emboar took its fighting subtype
>>
Mediocre design
Mediocre stats
Shit competitively

What is there to like?
>>
>>29375221
Ugly design
stupid mustache

How oshawott end up stupid like this
>>
File: 1472575406149.gif (2MB, 500x256px) Image search: [Google]
1472575406149.gif
2MB, 500x256px
>>29375221
It's retarded.
This thing just shows that a quadrupedal swordsman doesn't work out. Also it has lackluster stats, doesn't have fighting type and even if the design wasn't as retarded still is far too off from it's two other forms.
>>
>>29375221
Its anatomy is fucked and its design isn't cohesive. They gave it flippers for hands that splay outwards, but they make it hold its sword like a human. That's not how its joints should bend, you can't have it both ways. It goes against everything we intuitively know about anatomy and feels uncomfortable to look at in action. They wanted it to use swords and look like a shogun on a horse simultaneously, and it just doesn't mesh this way. Plus the Secret Compartment Swords are just stupid. If they wanted it to have a big sword, there were so many better ways of pulling it off. Have a spiral shell that uncurls, maybe. Or have one of those long spear-like shells across its back. But they just gave it a couple random dimensional pockets with no explanation and called it a day.

I don't care about the artist's block or its stats or competitive use. I care that they did not executive their concept well. For example, Garbodor is supposed to look like ugly trash. It looks like ugly trash. Therefore, because it accomplished what it set out to do, it is a good design. Samurott is supposed to look like a cool aquatic otter/sea lion shogun on horseback, but because the various elements did not gel and compliment each other, it is a bad design.
>>
>>29375230
> samurai
> not part steel or fighting
I'm still mad
>>
>>29375221
When I first played gen V I hated its design, but when I played B2 I used him and now I love it
>>
File: tumblr_inline_nkz6itMPuj1qgp297.png (79KB, 500x324px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_nkz6itMPuj1qgp297.png
79KB, 500x324px
>>29375225
>>29375232
>>29375251
>>29375267
>>29375398
Look far better then Gerninja.
>Tongue warp like a scarf
>shitty body design
>Mega form far worst
>without Protean, it just a shitty water/dark version of Infernape
>>
>>29375808
bad meme
>>
File: 51201505_p3_master1200.jpg (114KB, 950x574px) Image search: [Google]
51201505_p3_master1200.jpg
114KB, 950x574px
>>29375221
It suffers from being an evolution of Dewott. If people who played blind were not aware Oshawott's final form they would assume Dewott would become taller, maintain it's two-legged body structure, and more samurai like.

Samurott only meets the last expectation. Except that being a facultative biped prevents it from being a full-fledged swordfighter on land. And it became more of an otter with sea lion characteristics which threw off allot of people.

In all, Samurott on it's own is a very solid design, but for people who adored what Oshawott and Dewott was building up, its an immensely disappointing final stage. For starter standards that is as starters normally try to stay close to the previous stages as they are the most beloved pokemon in your party.

Samurott would receive allot less flak if it was actually designed to remain fully a biped. As two legged --> four legged doesn't sit well for the human mindset and being Samurai themed is salt to the wound. I actually don't really mind Samurott current design despite it's official art poorly portraying its anatomy, but for people who had immensely high expectations for Dewott's evolution, they're probably the one of most annoying, upset NFEfags in the state of franchise. Which really killed Dewott's design for me.
>>
File: Why samurott's design is dumb.jpg (52KB, 1098x548px) Image search: [Google]
Why samurott's design is dumb.jpg
52KB, 1098x548px
>>29375221
>Bipedal starter
>Bipedal middle evo that appears to be turning into some kind of ninja
>Quad final evo with stupid facial hair and janky animations
>>
its hideous. that`s all.
>>
File: ronin.png (220KB, 400x362px) Image search: [Google]
ronin.png
220KB, 400x362px
>>29377202
>Bipedal middle evo that appears to be turning into some kind of ninja
Are you mentally retarded? Dewott was a clearly a samurai. Why do people mistake samurai with ninjas when ninjas were more of assassins than warriors?
>>
File: 1465062493453.jpg (53KB, 600x526px) Image search: [Google]
1465062493453.jpg
53KB, 600x526px
I'll be honest with you, OP. I hated Samurott before the 3D model because I thought it stood on all fours and used its helmet as a sword and that looked stupid as fuck in my head.
>>
It would be alright on its own but it ruins Dewott's samurai theme and doesn't make sense as a sword user

If they kept it bipedal, built on the pants instead of removing them and made the face less ratlike it would be the best starter
>>
The only problem is that Pokemon Company US dropped the ball and didn't name it "Shoalgun"

Beyond that, Samurott is perfect.
>>
>>29377660
Why did you post a picture of the DPPt underground?
>>
>>29376425
>Samurott on it's own is a very solid design,
It really isn't. The 4-legged swordfighter design wouldn't work even if it were a standalone.
>>
>>29377585
>Dewott was a clearly a samurai.

Of course, because when I think "samurai" I think of people who use two tiny weapons.
>>
>>29375221
stuffing your face as usual samurott
>>
>>29375221
Don't get me wrong, I love it outside of competitive, but at the end of the day, other Waters do the whole Swords Dance + Aqua Jet + Waterfall shtick better, with better stats and typing and all.
>>
>>29375808
Hi CrescentShadow.

Have you tried Samurott in the S/M demo yet? :^)
>>
>>29379216
The only other water type that really does that is Feraligatr. It is way better at it though.
>>
>>29379321
Oh, well, just both physical and special attacking in general. Phys water sets with Aqua Jet aren't exactly special in the first place unless you have good coverage moves.
>>
>>29375221
Should have stayed bipedal but then again, it did stood up on its two legs from one BW movie. Still, it should have stayed on two feet instead on four.
>>
>>29379348
Yeah, that's true. Only thing it really has that stands out is Megahorn and that isn't really enough.
>>
>>29375221
Dewott was an amazing design and it made me excited for what followed.

What I got was a fat, naked quadruped seal with a stupid beard and a fucking retarded helmet. I hate that fucking helmet so much, especially the back part.
>>
I thought you guys loved quadrapeds and sucked their dicks while bipedalmons are furbiait?
>>
It's just sorta the problem with Pokemon that are designed particularly to be primarily aquatic, and yet are almost never actually seen in said environment.

Samurotts design pretty much only "works" when you imagine him in an underwater setting where the matter of his body type is of little consequence.
Most aquatic Pokemon get around this by being shown as magically flying, the same as if they were in water. Samurott does not get this magical flying power.
>>
>>29375221
Autism. It's ugly, but there are much uglier Pokemon out there, like Jynx or Bruxish. The same happens with Litten3, Popplio3, Emboar and Chesnaught. I'm sure they're a vocal minority, like what happened on the day Kommo-o was revealed, but the hate eventually became a meme
>>
File: featurednumon_samurott.png (87KB, 400x394px) Image search: [Google]
featurednumon_samurott.png
87KB, 400x394px
It's similar to Braixen -> Delphox. Not bad, per se, but not great, and it evolves from something that WAS great.

But then, on top of that, it also represents a bit of a sharp turn in terms of design. I wouldn't go so far to say its a 180, but like, it's a pretty drastic and sudden change.

Doesn't help that in-game it is a decent but fairly generic water type with no real unique characteristics.
>>
>>29380848
Thinking about it, Gen 5 wasn't particularly great in terms of new water types.
>>
>>29375251
It not learning Shell Smash isn't a problem. That actually makes sense.
>>
>>29375221
It is the worst starter yet. It went from two bipeds to a quadruped that completely kills the samurai motif. How is he supposed to grab his swords from his black hole sheaths? He doesn't have hands.
>>
>>29375808
Assblasted Samurottfag detected.
>>
File: 1383169140516.png (144KB, 900x907px) Image search: [Google]
1383169140516.png
144KB, 900x907px
>>29376425

>Attempting to pin all of Samurott's many faults on Dewott.
>>
>>29376425
Did anyone ever draw an alternate evo for Dewott? I'd love to see one.
>>
I hate that the only distinction between its front and hind legs is a thumb claw. It doesn't look like it is standing with its limbs—looks more like it's set down like a plush and its legs don't really work. Also the helmet is way too big and stupid looking. And how the fuck does Dewott turn into this thing? No correlation whatever except they're both some shade of blue and have pale yellow shells. The whole line is absolutely ugly and painful to the eyes, so whatever; it's not like it "ruined" Dewott or Oshawott because they were already unsalvageable garbage.
>>
>>29375221
How many times have we had this thread now? It's been explained again and again why so many people think Samurott's design is shit and why its defenders are utterly retarded.
>>
>>29375225
fpbp
>>
>>29380930
Samufags love to do this to try and distract people from how shitty Samurott is.

>It's not Samurott's fault! It's just the furfag Dewott lovers that are mad!
>>
I think Samurott is okay, but that's partially because I enjoyed using it in my playthrough. I still think it looks like it'd move pretty awkwardly and get why people don't like it.
>>
This isn't the first time. GF has a history of splitting evo designs between multiple designers.
>>
>>29375221
>Can someone explain the hate Samurott gets.
Listen, Samurott was my fave starter in gen 5, but--
>Inb4 muh competitive
Okay, well, guess we're not using reason in this thread.
>>
>>29381454
Just because he said inb4 doesn't mean you can't point it out like it's solid fact, anon.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.