[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /vp/. 20something casual here. I haven't played a Pokémon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1475808267700.gif (2MB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1475808267700.gif
2MB, 512x384px
Hi /vp/. 20something casual here.

I haven't played a Pokémon game since Pearl (which I didn't like/bother to finish). But now I have a bunch of friends who apparently own 3DS's and are hyped for Sun/Moon.

I've been getting the itch to dive back in and purchase a 2DS, but what game should I get in the interim? I've been thinking OR to get used to the new design/animated Pokémon battles/etc. Is this a good game? Or should I be spending money on a different post-Pearl installment?

The GameInformer review called OR the best installment in the series.
>>
I c-can't believe you'd just let my thread d-die
>>
>>29316911
Haha silly faggot
>>
>>29316932
W-what's your favorite pocket monster game for the 3ds?
>>
Well OP, D/P are considered pretty bad games by most of the fanbase; it's tedious and boring. However, the third version, Platinum is a massive improvement, and definitely redeemed the games. Now Sinnoh is more or less a fan favorite alongside Generation 5 here. What about the games didn't you like? Was it just franchise fatigue?

Answering your question, I'd just wait for Sun/Moon. Looks like a pretty solid first entry for this generation, even if the responses to the leaks have been mixed. A lot of people don't like OR/AS for a variety of different reasons, but if you haven't played Pokemon in a while, you might enjoy it. It's not an objectively bad game. (Me personally, I enjoyed the originals to ORAS, but it's all subjective. I'd just wait for the new games but if you can find it cheap there's nothing to lose.)
>>
>>29316176
Diamond and Pearl are called pretty bad and slow games.

The best game for old players is X and Y, which isn't great content wise but it's good for mechanics

BW is a more story based game in a brand new world with no older Pokemon, strong contrast to X and Y

BW2 is arguably the best game because of all the content, but you might not appreciate it all right now, but is a good sequel

ORAS is a pretty fun game if you didnt play Emerald. Simple, and current for about a month

HGSS is a good game for nostalgia and has a lot of charm maybe to test the waters as it's just a remake of gen 2

Platinum is Diamond and Pearl improved dex/level curve and speed to an extent, still the slowest

XY or HGSS are good starts

BW is a fresh adventure

BW2 a lot of content

ORAS is medium at everything
>>
>>29317048
I think it must have been franchise fatigue. I have a particularly bad memory of the first time I came across a Bidoof in the early game. I went room to room in my house yelling at everyone. Mon designs are important to me since that's what I'm looking at half the time.

I haven't played the originals since I was a kid, but I enjoyed R/S/E then. I don't know if I'd nostalgia trip on them like I did with SS, though. Crystal was always my favorite.

>>29317055
X and Y are also pretty cheap at my local Game Stop compared to the 37 used asking price for OR. I guess I'm just nervous picking up a completely new title - because at least with OR I know ten year old me enjoyed it. And although I played Emerald, that had to be years ago. I hardly remember the story, or even any of the gyms.

I guess SS is technically the last game I played but my DS broke. But now you've got me thinking of picking up X or Y. How do the poke designs stack up between the two games?
>>
>>29316176
>what game should I get in the interim
One of Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire and a non-Pokemon game. Monster Hunter is pretty good.
If you're looking to get back into the series, stay away from X and Y. Kalos brought us the worst characters the franchise has ever seen in your "friends"-slash-"""""rivals""""".
>>
>>29317313
Well the best part about new games is that you can trade online and get the other Pokemon quickly
>>
>>29317674
Yeah I was also a little wary about buying a 2DS just to play a handful of games so other recs are appreciated.

I'm watching gameplay footage of X right now and while it does look cool (the towns, the 3d layout generally) I can already tell the friends/rivals are lame as hell. I'm also sort of fixing to train a Shedinja.

What are some of the complains about OR that the other anon suggested:>>29317048
>>
>>29318178
Most of the complaints about ORAS stem from:
a) No Battle Frontier
ii. Same weak third act as RSE (read: too much water)
3: Lack of difficulty (which you shouldn't really be looking for in a Pokemon game to begin with)
There's also some complaints about the Delta Episode Zinnia isn't a good character being the chief sticking point here

As for other 3DS games, the SMT series is pretty good, and Dragon Quest VII is fun if you like JRPGs.
>>
>>29316176
Get OR or Y dont listen to them they have nothing on their mind but battle frontier,you get used to the 3d animations and the new mons 2
>>
>>29318405
I don't get the Zinnia hate. She's no better or worse a character than any other character in the franchise, the series is pretty light in characterization.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.