[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the reason we are getting fewer Pokemon with each new release

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 10

File: Nintendo-3DS-AquaOpen.jpg (2MB, 2300x2080px) Image search: [Google]
Nintendo-3DS-AquaOpen.jpg
2MB, 2300x2080px
Is the reason we are getting fewer Pokemon with each new release due to the limitations of the hardware? Is the 3DS being pushed to the max with XY, ORAS, and SM and will NX fix that?
>>
Except there's more Pokemon than XY

And having fewer Pokemon than the last gen is hardly a new thing (see Gen 2, Gen 4, Gen 6)
>>
# of new Pokemon has nothing to do with hardware. It's not like the game loads every Pokemon at once. And there's more than enough space on the cartridge.
>>
File: image.png (42KB, 1017x568px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
42KB, 1017x568px
>>29297930
What
>>
>>29297970
Megas aren't new Pokemon dumb fuck
>>
>>29297984
no but they are new creatures to build, animate, etc
>>
>>29297970
retard.

Megas and Alolan forms are not Pokemon.

New pokemon = New dex entry
>>
>>29297769
it's seeming like it's simply a matter of brevity. we don't need 1000 pokemon, really. many people complain about there already being too many. if you're upset about gen 7 only having 70 pokemon like gen 6 did, then just add them together in your head to 140. id rather get pokemon in 2-year 70-pokemon increments than 4 year 150 increments.
>>
>>29297984
doesn't matter, sm still has more than x/y regardless
>>
Probly has something to do with the switch from 2d sprites to 3d models.
>>
>>29297984
Mega Evolutions are still evolutions.
>>
>>29297970

>Gen5 numbers
What happened? Gen5 went all out
>>
>>29297984
Nobody said they were new Pokemon, the chart clearly says "New Additions"
>>
>>29298002
>>29295588
>>
>>29298048
No they're not. They're just forms. Use your brain
>>
>>29298051
Sprite based vs making 3d models with lot of ploygons and to be able to fit with move animations.
>>
>>29298041
this is a pretty huge factor, yes. alas, people on vp have shown again and again that they dont understand how 3d models work.
>>
>>29298051
And why couldn't they do the same thing with Gen 7?

Every odd gen has given us over 100 new Pokemon until now.
>>
>>29297970
>next gen 7 game comes out
>has 40 new alolan forms
>suddenly everyone stops counting them as new pokemon to spite gen 7

screencap this
>>
Honestly it probably has to do with adding Pokémon requiring more work than ever.
When we just had the sprites, it was just the artwork and some poses.
Even Gen 5's "animations" were just model tweens.
3D models (especially on hardware as weak as the 3ds) is a lot of work. There's more animations and not to mention that Pokémon amie thing has its own animations.
>>
>>29298068
>mega EVOLUTIONS
>not evolutions
They are both an evolution and a form. Gamefreak > headcanon
>>
File: allahu ackbar.gif (1MB, 499x374px) Image search: [Google]
allahu ackbar.gif
1MB, 499x374px
>>29298041

But don't they use really small gifs for that?
>>
>>29298068
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mega_Evolution

>is very clearly called an evolution
>is described as a transformation
>Pokémon very visibly changes in appearance and extent of its abilities
>>
>>29298014
You just put into words how I feel. Honestly, XY felt so much like a beta that you may as well count it and SM as one thing.
>>
>>29298110
>>29298118
GF cocksuckers detected.

They are functionally forms. Get over it.
>>
>different designs
>different stats
>most alolans and some megas have different types too

they're new entities desu
>>
>>29298068
as far as gamefreak is concerned, anything they have to make an in-battle model for is a pokemon. your inability to think beyond classifications and terminology does not an argument make.
>>
>>29297769
The reason we're getting fewer Pokemon is because the design philosophy they tried out with BW was met with mixed reactions. BW was for the original players of Pokemon. A pseudo-reboot. One region filled with the Pokemon from that region and nothing else, just like Gen 1.

Following BW, they realize that they're not just dealing with the same players. They're dealing with an entirely new generation of Pokemon players. So the focus draws away from introducing new ones in droves and changes to incorporating the old and the new together.

This is hard to grasp for people here because we're very much in the "GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL" mindset. Shit, it's a semi-enforced rule here, after all. If you've caught them all you probably don't give much a shit about the old Pokemon, but that is a niche group of players. Most players, and especially new ones, have probably never experienced most Pokemon games, so the old ones are just as foreign as the new ones. Keeping all of the Pokemon fresh and in the mix is crucial for the series' longevity.
>>
>>29298051
Gen 5 has a LOT of filler mons. 3 copy paste elemental monkeys, 3 stage gear Pokémon, just add more metal, 3 stages ice cream Pokémon, just add another head, the whole copy paste genies (BW2 remedied them at least), etc.
>>
>>29298139
I don't care what GameFreak thinks. They're functionally forms.
>>
>>29298090
jump from 2D to 3D. Jump from DS to 3DS. not a hard observation to make.
>>
>>29298134
You will never be right.
>>
>>29298160
You can think whatever you want but as far as development time goes, just as much work goes into a mega evolution than a new Pokémon.
>>
>>29298167
But the jump from DS to 3DS didn't give us that jump unless you're a heathen and count gen 6 megas
>>
>>29298134
You are right. But, they are evolutions also. Are you autistic? Honest question. You're acting as though evolutions have to be permanent, and because Mega Evolutions aren't permanent, then they can't be evolutions. The word is literally in the fucking phrase. Either this is b8 or you are genuinely non-meme autistic.
>>
>>29298179
I don't have to be. You know deep down that I'm right.

>temporary
>doesn't take a dex slot

Forms.
>>
Nope, GF hasn't even used the largest size 3DS cart yet. This is a conscious decision to slow the ascent to 1000.
>>
>>29298182
>just add spikes

Nah senpai you're stretching
>>
>>29298201
Are those facts supposed to mean something?

Oh my God I really need to leave this retarded website.
>>
>>29298160
uh, no. you don't seem to understand what functionally means. Functionally, as i said, anything that requires a battle model takes up spaces in their quota. making new forms, evolutions, doesnt matter, still takes up space. your inability to break things down into their pieces is not the fault of us or gamefreak.
>>
>>29298193
>>29298193
>because Mega Evolutions aren't permanent, then they can't be evolutions

That's literally what a form is.

Evolution = permanent
Form = temporary
>>
>>29298188
uh, you misread what i said.
>>
>>29298227
>>29298229
>doesn't have a dex number
>considers it it's own, separate pokemon

kek

KEK
>>
>>29298230
If it doesn't take up a dex space then it's trash. Fuck off
>>
>>29298230
You're just giving arbitrary definitions and semantics.

Evolutions are forms too. But they're still evolutions.
>>
>>29298230
making this argument is pointless. they're still models that take up space. and making them means not making new pokemon.
>>
reminder that if you consider megas new pokemon, you also have to be stupid enough to consider alolan forms new pokemon as well
>>
>>29298230
Not according to the people that make the games. You should let them know that they're wrong for calling them EVOLUTIONS.

Also, you are aware that, according to your definition, Shellos, Gastrodon, Basculin, Wormadam, and Vivillon's forms aren't forms because they're permanent, correct?
>>
>>29298262
Don't mind me I'm just shitposting
>>
>>29298290
>>29298272
>>29298271
>>29298305
evolution = permanent, has its own dex entry
form = temporary

not even reading your posts because nothing you can say can dispute this distinction
>>
The 3DS cartridge can hold up to 8GB of data. Reason for lag during specific battles is because the 3DS can't chug too many high poly models in one screen all at once. A work around for this is if somehow somebody can't put program this. If only Iwata was still alive. His legendary skills at programming could've solved or atleast slightly fix this problem.
>>
>>29298263
I do not consider it its own separate Pokemon. However, it is still an evolution. You are such a goddamned idiot.
>>
>>29298327
Evolutions are permanent and have their own dex entry.
>>
Do we know if SM adds new megas? It didn't seem like the leaked battle sprites showed megas as a whole.
>>
>>29298319
>I'm not going to respond because I'm wrong

Post your address so that I can take you to a mental institution because you really need it.

Respond to the fact that, according to your definition, Shellos, Gastrodon, Basculin, Wormadam, and Vivillon's forms are not forms because they are permanent.

Also, source your definitions through official means. Otherwise, your statements are conjecture and open to criticism.
>>
To be fair, you could give a new interchangeable form or a new full scale evolutionary stage to a Pokémon, but it'll still be that very same Pokémon in the end.
>>
>>29298374
Evolutions are permanent and have their own dex entry.
>>
>>29298319
>http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-au/pokemon/lycanroc-midnight-form/
>http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-au/pokemon/lycanroc-midday-form/

These are forms that are permanent, not temporary.
>>
So much cognitive dissonance ITT

>alolan forms aren't new Pokemon! they're just retype rehashes!
>but megas are totally new pokemon!
>>
>>29298345
>>29298379
Echolalia is a sign of autism.

>>29298380
Just stop responding to it. It isn't human.
>>
>>29298379
Not always the case.

Not essentially the case.

Not strictly the case.

Not an obligatory and mandatory rule.

There are exceptions.

So you're wrong.
>>
>>29298426
>>29298420
>evolves
>but de-evolves after battle

KEK

KEK

KEK
>>
>>29298380
This point was already brought up but it's ignoring it because it's wrong and doesn't want to acknowledge it.
>>
>>29298445
A devolution is a kind of evolution.
>>
>>29298445
Yes. That is literally exactly what it does.
>>
>>29298445
It's a repressed evolution.
>>
>>29298456
>>29298465
>doesn't take up a dex entry
>literally not considered a new pokemon by the top professors in the pokemon world

kek

KEKEKEKKEEKKEKEKEKEKEKKE
>>
>>29298379
Okay. You also said that forms are temporary, even though some forms are not. Why are you no longer including this factoid with your posts?
>>
>>29297769
Simple current day gaming.

We've proved to companies that they can produce a bare minimum and people will still buy it in droves, look at any franchise, and you can see this, it's not a matter of running out of idea's it's all about money at this point.
>>
>>29298511
forms are temporary
>>
>>29298535
Okay. What is the correct term to use to refer to the differences seen in Shellos, Gastrodon, Basculin, Wormadam, and Vivillon?
>>
>>29298499
>not expressing an opinion or statement on the matter whatsoever is the exact same as firmly debunking or denying it
>>
>>29298134

And development wise they take as much effort as a brand new pokemon.

>>29298160

>I don't care what the people that make the game think! I know more than they do about their own creation!
>>
>>29298567
Not him, but maybe a genotype?
>>
>>29298151

So did Gen 1 with the not Pokeballs, the seals, the whackamoles, the magnets...
>>
>>29298590
Possibly. However, unfortunately, that word does not appear within any games. So, it cannot be a genotype. Interestingly enough, the games refer to these as 'forms', although that can't be right, since forms are temporary.

Care to comment anon?
>>
How big will the filesize be, I wonder?

Either way 3DS carts can get very large, and the performance of the hardware doesn't have much to do with quantity of content since it's all about how much memory is loaded at any one time, so they could have 5000 Pokemon if the cart could hold it, as long as it's only loading like 4-6 at a time, and the fucks even removed triple battles.
>>
>>29297769

The reason why we don't have many Pokemon anymore is because GF seem to think we all want more Gen 1 shoved down our throats, if they made heaps of new pokemon, we would "forget" about their 20 year old creations.....
>>
>>29298611
3.2 GB. Wonder no more!
>>
File: 1407852673716.jpg (72KB, 760x347px) Image search: [Google]
1407852673716.jpg
72KB, 760x347px
>>29298580
>And development wise they take as much effort as a brand new pokemon.

I'm not so sure about that.
>>
>>29298051
They wanted to make good games that felt fresh, with Unova being outside of Japan for the first time giving them an excuse to go all out on a new regional dex with 150+ mons. That however made all the autistic children angry because they couldn't use their favorites in the game and abhorred the idea of finding new favorites, so then they gave up on creating new mons and decided to just pander to genwunners instead.
>>
>>29298637

You not liking a design doesn't mean it look less effort to make.
>>
>>29298650
There's also the fact that half of the Unova Dex was either palette swaps like the Genies, Gen 1 mimics like Gigalith and Woobat, or just "it gets bigger" crap like Duosion, Krookodile, etc.
>>
>>29298607
I guess it doesn't want to comment on this.

Guess it was wrong.
>>
>>29298263
that isn't the argument i am making, you're retarded and creating strawmans to back up your argument as if we are making poor ones. again: doesnt matter what its classified as, it takes up space. every single "non-entry" that has an in-battle model takes up the memory that would otherwise be new pokemon. you aren't understanding what is being said to you because you are a myopic fucktard who cannot read.
>>
>>29298607
I just think that an evolution is a transformation in which a Pokémon ascends into a higher evolutionary stage, while a form is a physical state that is proper to the Pokémon and the environment it is exposed to.

I think that's the more correct way to put it for the two.
>>
>>29298727
But the non-meme autistic anon will disagree with you. It knows more about what an evolution and a form is than anyone else, including those that created them. Sorry, but apparently you're wrong, according to it.
>>
>>29298670
I didn't imply I didn't like it. I implied that it took significantly less effort to make than the base Pokémon it takes after.
>>
>>29298319
you should read them. your replies are fucking retarded. you aren't getting the fucking point and you are making a pointless argument that does not at all invalidate my one at all. you're convinced that your beliefs contradict mine, but im telling you dude, it doesnt fucking matter what they are classified as: each and every single thing that has a battle model functionally takes up the space of potential new pokemon. it does not fucking matter if it shows up in the pokedex or not. it takes up space, they fill their quota, and for every form and mega we get means that much less real pokemon. get the fuck over yourself, holy shit.
>>
>>29298748
I cannot be wrong according to someone if that someone is dead.
>>
>>29298319
maybe that's because I'm not fucking disputing the distinction you fucking retard. I'm saying the distinction doesn't fucking matter and does not affect my point at all.
>>
>>29297970
>Counts temporary form change
Oh boy.
>>
>>29298782
what the fuck are you even saying anymore? do you honestly believe this is a witty, valid response? you have autism bro.
>>
>>29298748
A disagreement is not a refutation.
>>
>>29298135
Ah there's a reason why they're called Alola "FORMS" they're not new Pokemon, they're forms of old Pokemon. So are Rotom Wash, Burmy Trash, Sky Shaymin separate Pokemon? No, they're FORMS

>>29298141
That doesn't make sense, I get that giving older Pokemon new forms and Mega's to make them relevant again to the newer players, but what about the players that have been there from the start which is most of the Pokemon fanbase, seeing 20 year old creations every game is boring, does anyone playing a new game actually catch and use old pokemon over the new ones? Mostly no cause it's the same old shit we've seen through 6 previous generations, people want new Pokemon to discover new favorites, something different, something new and something we have to learn how to use.

The reason we're getting under 80 Pokemon now is so that they can hold onto Gen 1 Pokemon for as long as possible to try and bring back old Gen 1 fans back to the games, "Fans" who ditched after Gen 1, they're catering to them instead of the people who want something new.

One of the biggest complains about X/Y was the lack of new Pokemon - Even that gen had a heap of Mega Pokemon to make up for it - They should've learned for this gen but they haven't, they don't even have new mega Pokemon to use as an excuse.
>>
>>29298606
>gen 5 taking after the second worst gen
Not surprised...
>>
>>29297970
are you this fucking stupid?
mega evolutions were introduced in x and y and continued in oras, you're all of them together as if they were introduced at the same time, and obviously we are gonna get another remake to go alongside with sun and moon so there might not be alolan forms but there will probably be different region variants

you must be stupid
>>
>>29298650
>new regional dex with 150+ mons
"New" regional dex with gen 1 clones isn't New in any meaningful sense.
>>
>>29298828
Correct. Please elaborate on what your point is.
>>
>>29298141
BW also under performed merch wise and while BW2 sold well enough GF was expecting it to do a bit better. They wanted to reinvigorate third versions.

60 or so well designed useful Pokemon is better than 2/3 of the dex being worthless in battle and on the shelf too. They are spending more time on each Pokemon to make them likable and less dex filler.

They still need to find a good balance but this is the overall idea. SM really only failed due to the lack of evolutions for clear candidates like Minior and Kamala.

Also megas and Alola forms give a great way to market Pokemon from the past without having to make an unpopular cross evolution. Because those were not well liked I'm gen 4.
>>
It's not a new species if it doesn't have its own dex number

why is this hard to comprehend
>>
>>29298923
Sure thing, but what about my point should I elaborate on exactly?
>>
>>29298950
Because an explaination for Nidoran and the Simi monkeys' exception is required.
>>
>>29298847
>The reason we're getting under 80 Pokemon now is so that they can hold onto Gen 1 Pokemon for as long as possible to try and bring back old Gen 1 fans back to the games
The only reason we are getting less pokemon is because we are already reaching the 1000 mark of pokemon.
>>
Haven't read the entire topic yet but Gamefreak probably realized they were heading way too fast towards 1000 pokemon and decided to slow down and stop making as many new ones and invest some of that time into making alternate forms of existing pokemon that won't take up dex spaces.

The 70 or so pokemon with 30-40 redesigns of older pokemon will probably be how GF handles this franchise for a long while.
>>
>>29298949
>clear candidates like Minior and Kamala.
It was clear from the start that those weren't going to evolve
>>
>>29298995
what? Simisear and Simisage and Simisoak or whatever the last one is called are just counter parts that resemble each other,not unlike luvdiisc and alomoloma

Nidoran is a different species from nidoran the same way jolteon is a separate species from sylveon. Species means something different in Pokemon than it does irl, just like "evolution" does.

Nobody here is arguing that Shaymin-S, Deoxys-D, and Rotom-Fan are different species because no one here is that fucking stupid
>>
File: 1288751031095.png (147KB, 292x516px) Image search: [Google]
1288751031095.png
147KB, 292x516px
>>29299099
>Nidoran is a different species from nidoran

Well fuck you too then.
>>
>>29298996

So? Seriously, I've seen a few people use this '1000 Pokemon' thing, it's not even a thing, GF have never said anything about not wanting to get to 1000 Pokemon, like ever, there's no reason why they wouldn't. If they wanna keep making mainline games, they're going to get past 1000 Pokemon...

Even if we had 100 New Pokemon in Gen 6 and 7 we would still have just over 850-ish Pokemon. (still under 1000 for those people who believe that.)

They're not making lots of new Pokemon anymore because it's either the lack of effort into making them or they just can't let go of Gen 1 pandering.
>>
Pokemon categorization is fucked up isn't it?
>>
>>29297769
The argument was for XY that they needed to 3D model all previous gens, so they didn't have the time for too many new Pokemon.
This time they've made 3D models for all the trainers now... so... that's a possible explanation.

Though in all actuality, we're likely stuck in an almost 100 world for every generation from here on out.
>>
File: 1371045986243.png (127KB, 269x233px) Image search: [Google]
1371045986243.png
127KB, 269x233px
>>29299219
I think we all know who to blame.
>>
>>29299047
No it wasn't?

Everyone expected Komala to evolve cause it just looks like a Pokemon that would, basic features, description mentioned 'parents' etc.

Minior was definitely expected to get an evolution, I mean it has 'Mini' in it's name, what's it a 'Mini' of, I get that it has a gimmick to it but they could've used that gimmick to create unique evolutions for each color (Something similar to Vivillon's wing patterns)

The amount of single stage Pokemon that looks like they should evolve or have a pre-evo is astounding. There's a reason why so many people think there are more Pokemon to be found when there isn't, the dex just looks so incomplete.
>>
>>29297769
Why would a home console fix a series of handheld games?
>>
File: 1382721514668.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1382721514668.gif
2MB, 400x225px
>>29299392
It certainly fixed SRW to some extent.
>>
>>29299338
>Anonymous 10/19/16(Wed)23:21:20 No.2929

Devs said they want to slow down how many poogymans they make cause they feel like it's getting to be a lot to understand for new people. Or something like that.
>>
>>29299560
That just sounds like another reason to make Pokémon Snap 2 to me.
Thread posts: 117
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.