[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we talk about the shit Lumiose City tier camera angles?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: Capture.png (350KB, 618x352px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
350KB, 618x352px
Can we talk about the shit Lumiose City tier camera angles?

Walking down this street, running at the camera, with no idea about where you're going or what's ahead. It's ridiculous.
>>
>>29290309
>tfw you realize even BW had better camera movement than fucking Lumiose City
>>
Gee it's almost as if there isn't a map on the bottom screen
>>
Yep it's terrible. But in the real game you will always have a map in the bottom screen so you'll know how to get somewhere from the map.
>>
>>29290309
>Can't even control the camera with L and R
So much wasted potential.
>>
>>29290309
>Not optimized for New 3DS's c-stick for free-camera movement
Fucking hell
>>
>Hold left on stick
>Camera shifts
>Run into a wall

This bugged the hell out of me. I miss DPad movement.
>>
>>29290411
>thinking that free camera movement would work with GameFreak's shitty engine

II bet the game would immediately crash, or at least drop to 5 fps.
>>
>>29290368
I just don't understand why they can't adapt the camera angle. They must know that running blindly into the foreground is silly, whether there's a map or not.
>>
>>29290486
Rendering the scene isn't an issue. They just consciously made the shitty choice to have a fixed camera.
>>
>>29290561
It could probably hide flaws that would be visible from other angles.

Free-camera movement frequently gives me simulator sickness, but then again, so did Lumiose City.
>>
File: IMG_1716.jpg (15KB, 266x296px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1716.jpg
15KB, 266x296px
There's nothing on the path anyway, it's not like you're gonna bump into anything.
>>
>>29290698
You can't tell what's on the path at all until you walk to the end of it, that's the point.
>>
Well I'm not a retarded monkey so I had literally no problems navigating the demo. Nowhere near Lumiose levels of bad. The reason Lumiose is so awful is because for every single area of it there are like 5 other areas that look nearly identical
>>
>>29290486
It's not their shitty engine, it's the shitty hardware. PS2 games run like shit even with greatly reduced resolution, texture quality, draw distance and environmental detail.

>>29290561
Controlling the angle does make it easier to render because they can avoid angles with more details and polys in. They can also predict 100% successfully the order in which things need to be drawn and avoid any spikes. You'll notice in a PC game set to settings that are too high for your machine that leaving the camera fixed and moving around gets better performance than rotating the camera in the same location.
>>
>>29290915
And it also means they have to load less textures and other details 'cause they know you can't possibly look at anything from certain angles.
>>
>>29290309
Streets are quite possibly the worst overworld objects Pokemon could have. Disgusting.
>>
>>29290790
>Well I'm not a retarded monkey
Just a regular monkey?
>>
SMT IV/Final both have camera controls and multiple views. This just GF being lazy and mediocre, just look at those bushes and clouds
>>
>>29290346

>Instead of just being able to see what's in front of me, I should memorize what areas of the map hold what locations and just blindly make my way there
>>
>>29291006
They both also have about 5 polygon character models in the whole game and have every other thing represented by single frame drawings that are just skewed to give the impression of animation. SMTIV(A) are lazy as fuck. Atlus are lazy as fuck. Maybe GF are just holding back camera movement for whatever Pokemon comes out in 2027. It took them ages to get to using polygons at all. Fuck, it took them just as long to get beyond 4-way movement. They're now on the tech level of a PS1 game at long last.
>>
>>29291226
To be fair, that was the same in most previous Pokemon games since you could only see about 10 feet in front of your character's face in any given direction.
>>
>>29290915
This nigga knows what he's talking about
>>
>>29291238
I'm speaking overworld here. Nowhere did I mention the awful battle segments. Even DQVII (released years ago) looks better than SM outside of battle and about equal during them AND has camera rotation.
>>
>>29290915
Is that what took them 2 years to do?
>>
File: 1476552679780.png (227KB, 372x357px) Image search: [Google]
1476552679780.png
227KB, 372x357px
>>29290309
And people say the games are too easy.
>>
>>29291311
Ok, fair enough, but with that in mind I don't think you can reasonably say GF are being lazier than Atlus given that GF have getting towards 1000 polygon models just for the Pokemon. Whereas Atlus only bothered with about 350 2D images for all the demons and NPCs.

I guess my overall point is that I don't want to defend GF and Nintendo here but Atlus are even worse. Honestly, I'm just genuinely glad that they've put the effort in to redo the whole graphical engine rather than effectively just making XY2.
>>
>>29290309
I miss having a regular top down view.

Also way too much empty space
>>
>>29291465
>I don't think you can reasonably say GF are being lazier than Atlus
Literally never said this, though. My point was that all the major RPG series on the 3DS allow for camera control for obvious gameplay reasons (DQ VII/VIII, DQM, SMT IV, Final, YW 1/2/3, etc). Fixed view with all these sudden shifts in angle just feels artificial, stiff and kills a chunk of the exploration factor.
>>
>>29291349
Kek
>>
There's nothing particularly wrong with fixed camera angles. There's tons of PS1 and even PS2 games that work fine with them.

The problem is that Gamefreak doesn't seem to know how to make proper angles and level designs that fit together, at least when you're not inside a building or cave. In outdoor areas the camera is down on level with the player, really up close them, like the sort of angle in a modern game where you can move the camera. Except you can't move the camera, so you're just unable to see in one direction.
>>
>>29291281

That was from a bird's eye view

Here it's a shitty 3rd person view
>>
>>29291226
>Instead of just being able to see what's in front of me, I should memorize what areas of the map hold what locations and just blindly make my way there
Yes.
What part of that is hard? How shitty is your memory?
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.