[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did'ja ever get the feeling you only like Sun and Moon's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 8

File: Enos_Fry.jpg (51KB, 400x301px) Image search: [Google]
Enos_Fry.jpg
51KB, 400x301px
Did'ja ever get the feeling you only like Sun and Moon's Pokemon designs because you're supposed to?
This is a serious discussion on the merits and faults of modern pokemon design. Actual genwunners and people who immediately use the genwunner argument can please leave.
>>
>>29266759
No
>>
>>29266759
don't ever say or think that again
>>
>>29266759
Not once
>>
Nope.
>>
you have a point
but I personally like the lot of them
>>
Nada
>>
>>29266759
No.

I really did like the trailer designed and Alola forms

But what the fuck is Persian and Golem

Everything is getting too humanoid it feels like. I don't want to control humans, I want animals and nature like Vikavolt
>>
I've thought about this very thing, actually.

In many of the games pre-releases, they'll usually show off a number of new pokemon, and I'll usually have that "ugh" reaction to a couple of them. I had it alot with Gen 5 and 6.

But when it comes to this game, I can't really confidently say I dislike any of them that much.
I'd say the only real disappointments are that hideous psychic fish and alolan meowth.

I think, maybe...for once...a pokemon game just comes with a strong roster of designs.
That they're okay looking and it's okay to like them.
>>
Nah. Sun and Moon is the only reason I'm getting back into the series.
>>
>>29266891
Lel, I meant alolan persian. My bad.
>>
Ok, if you like the Alolan forms and the UBs, then fine, they're crazy looking monsters so I can respect that.

But how is it fucking possible to defend the fucking Toucan? IT'S. JUST. A. REAL. BIRD.
>>
>>29266759
I do. Most of the gen7 mons are god awful and becomes more and more blatantly clear how creatively bankrupt gf has become.
>>
Nope, I like the ones I like because I think they're interesting. The majority of this gen is down the middle of the road for me, though. Don't hate them, don't like them.
>>
>>29266759
no
that's stupid
i like them cause they're good, they're a hell of a lot better than gen 6, probably most of gen V and IV too, i don't see anyone else, or any other pokemon fourm of the sort complaining except /vp/, you set yourselves up, let yourselves fall for the hype, don't blame it one the game cause you put these standards to a game that hasn't even come out yet
>>
>>29266759
I'm meh on most of the designs but that's the reaction I've had for most of the games except for gen 2 and I guess gen 1 but that's because of nostalgia for the latter.
>>
>>29266759
No, but I question what I'd think of Ultra Beasts if this was a fangame.
>>
>>29266759
>you only like the designs because you're supposed to
Why would I ever think that? If I think a design is shit I'm going to say it's shit. Like Luchalitten, Poopmaid, and Brionne. Also those retarded sand castle mons.
>>
They're trying way to hard to be like Yokai Watch , where a large amount of the monsters are either overly silly and nonsensical, or humanoid girls that you're suppose to think are "qt waifus"

Pokemon needs to stay with it's wild animal philosophy
>>
>>29266944
This is the correct answer. Everyone else is in denial.

The first step to heling is admitting you have a problem.
>>
>>29266759
What the fuck does that even mean? I like what I like because I want to.

It's like you asked this question because you saw a group of people liking a lot of the designs you didn't.
>>
>>29266928
Because I like toucans, faggot. I'm going to name it Tuki Tuki.
>>
>>29266928
Pidgey is also a literal bird so what's new
>>
>>29267021
It's because as soon as you diss a design for legitimate reasons you're called a genwunner.
>>
>>29266944
>>29267016
hi op
>>
>>29266759
The pokemon I like tend to be pretty unpopular actually. Jangmoo-o and alola Golem have me hype.

I actually think gens 1 through 3 were the best, design-wise
>>
>>29267009
That's never been the philosophy.
We've had plenty non-animal and silly designs since gen 1. Just because westerners prefer the "take an animal, cartoon it, and throw an elemental influence on it" designs doesn't make them better.
>>
File: 1465366344156.png (99KB, 453x492px) Image search: [Google]
1465366344156.png
99KB, 453x492px
I have always hated Samurott as well as a handful of each generation.

on Sun and Moon there are some that I like and some that I dislike as well as some that leave me indifferent.

I think Game freak knows this from there audience so they make a large variety so that everyone finds something they like.

that's why you see many weird goofy pokes as well as edge lord pokes and the new girly pink fairy types.

I do not think anyone will like all of them, there not suppose to. but if they like at least half then Game Freak did there job.
>>
>>29267046
20 years have passed anon
>>
>>29267046

Pidgey is an original design based on general small birds.

The Toucan is just a fucking Toucan.
>>
>>29267105
OP here, that's actually a very interesting way of looking at it.
>>
>>29266982
I'm the reverse actually. I like them, but I think I'd like them more if this were a different series. But I understand the point is they don't look very Pokemon-like. I do like the designs though, but I think I'd outright love electric cord monster in any other series and here I just kind of shrugged it off and said "I like it."

Honestly overall I like some, and I don't like others. I do think OP is right and that some people have the mentality of "If I say I don't like it then I'll look like a genwunner" because /vp/ is very insecure about that. I like harder edges in my designs and everyone is a bit too cutesy or rounded this gen. It works for some Pokemon, but others could have used a bit of hardness to them.

I also think some of them have too much personality. It makes them memorable, but it also makes them seem too individualistic. Like Dartrix. It looks less like a species and more like a single entity. If that makes sense. I'm really mixed on it.
>>
I like them better than most of Gen 6's selection so far.
>>
File: images.jpg (9KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 300x168px
>it's ANOTHER /vp/ can't comprehend subjective taste episode

Is there any board more narcissistic than this one?
>>
>>29266928
I don't think it's a bad design, it just doesn't look like it should've evolved from Pikipek.
It would've been fine as a stanbdalone, but it's just odd that it evolves fro ma woodpecker yet keeps nothing woodpecker-esque about it. Like at the very least it should've had a sharper, almost drill-like beak. But instead it just looks like a regular toucan. Just a waste of potential.
>>
The only time I've ever felt "ugh" about a Pokémon was Hariyama, the genies and Terrakion.

I literally do not get how people can complain so much and be so nitpicky and keep spouting bullshit about "muh design", "muh inanimate objects", "muh silly looking, not cool looking", etc.

They're supposed to be varied. You don't have to like all of them. Just use the ones you like and that's it. I like girly, beautiful and cute Pokémon, and those are the ones I take from each generation, while appreciating the rest for what they are and for who they appeal to. No need to justify my taste with "objective" analysis on MAGICAL CREATURES, like a lot of people here and elsewhere try to do.
>>
>>29266759
I like some and hate others. I highly doubt Nintendo used mind control powers to make me like the ones that I do.
>>
>>29266759
Some people may, but not me.
I dislike most of Gen V, for example, but got my bro Gigalith there, and that made wading through the game worth it, and pretty damn fun.
>>
>>29267105
This. Way too many people on here act like every pokemon is supposed to appeal to every person.
That's not how it is, I love the goofy weird pokes (Trubbish is seriously in my top 20), but I don't expect everyone to.
As long as you can find six at least to use on your team, it's fine.
>>
>>29267204
>I don't think it's a bad design

It's not a design. It's just a drawing of a fucking real bird. That's the problem.
>>
If you want a serious discussion on anything, you shouldn't use memes as an icebreaker.

That said, I like some of the designs, but overall it's one of my least favorite bathes of new Pokemon, very dissapointing after Kalos had a fantastic showing despite its small amount of new Pokemon. Only Sinnoh is worse.
>>
>>29266759
I'm confused how does this lead to me being my own grandfather?
>>
>>29266759
Absolutely not. I love most of the new pokemon and don't like the alolan forms. Why in the world would someone feel like they /have/ to like a pokemon?
>>
god we have this fucking discussion every fucking generation
>>
>>29267240
I agree with you there. There's nothing about it that makes it stand out as a fictional creature. It just looks like a toucan. Doesn't look bad, but it's severely lacking.
>>
>>29267233
it's cause /vp/ is legitimatly autistic with the mind of an 8 year old and acts that every mon is suppose to be like wimpod's evo, it's fucking ridicoulous
>>
>>29267204
I like the toucan, though it could use some more color like the shiny, but I do not like that it evolves from the woodpecker.

In a gen that's starved for families you could have separated these two easily. There's also no reason some of the Pokemon couldn't have evolved. I'm fine with smaller gens but I'd prefer to see families like we had in XY to single stage Pokemon.
>>
File: rato.jpg (9KB, 206x210px) Image search: [Google]
rato.jpg
9KB, 206x210px
>>29267197
>>29267105
>>29267233
>>29267208

This is all that needs to be said on the matter ,really. It's that simple.
>>
>>29266759
no, I've never outright hated a single design though yes, there tends to be only a select few that really appeal to me.
>>
>>29267240
And Fletchling caught shit for looking more like a drinky bird toy instead of a real bird

]t is literally impossible for gf to please everyone with a single mon, different people like different approaches and they will always be louder about the ones they don't personally like
>>
File: 1475612153702.jpg (68KB, 522x758px) Image search: [Google]
1475612153702.jpg
68KB, 522x758px
I like Sun & Moon's designs.

Then again, I never really had a issue with any Pokemon design, because I've seen much much worse elsewhere.
Even SMT has shit tier designs that haven't changed in 10+ years
>>
File: exotic-shorthair-cat-3.jpg (56KB, 505x640px) Image search: [Google]
exotic-shorthair-cat-3.jpg
56KB, 505x640px
>>29266855
>>29266922

I thought alola persian was meant to be a reference to the all the ugly cat breeds we've made in real life, considering alola meowth's page says they changed from the royalty of Alola keeping them,
>>
>>29266759
No, I like designs based on my own tastes and what I think is appealing. Some designs look good from the start, others take some time for me to 'warm up' to them, and some I never really like ever.

Sometimes the anime might give a mon I don't really like, a nice personality or make them look cool/badass and then I like that pokemon more.
>>
>>29266759
i feel like most of the new alola pokemon are underwhelming but i like the alolan form pokemon more

wish there were more of them
>>
>>29267384

Just make an original bird that doesn't look like a plastic toy. Like Rowlet

boom, everyones happy.
>>
>>29266759
I feel like im forced to like at least one of the starters. i hate them all but im going to be stuck seeing at least one of them. even if i box mine i still have to see hau's shit teir starter mon
>>
>>29267483
Rowlet is shit kys
>>
>>29267475
I really do think regional forms will be back next gen and a standard thing from here on out. Seems like an easy way to pad a new region's dex without having to make entirely new species and a good way to showcase older mons too.
>>
File: 356.jpg (841KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
356.jpg
841KB, 2048x1365px
Aesthetically, I feel the closer a design resembles a natural creature, the better it is. The greatest inspiration is reality.

The other greatest source of inspiration is folklore and mythology utilized properly.

It's why I ultimately dislike most Fairy Types because they end up being lazy, or most inaimate object Pokemon.

With a bit more thought or detail so many designs could be amazing but in the end they amount to nothing.

Stuff like Swanna or Armotisse always bother me the most, Swanna because it failed to capture the natural beauty of swans and Armotisse because it became an ugly pink blob meant to be cute.

It's also why I hate Aloha Persian. They made it fat because "lol spoiled fat royal cat" rather than basing it on a species like an Egyptain Mau or take a page out of the history of the Sphynx breed. Make it so that some Royal in Aloha was allergic to the Persians and so they began breeding until they got a hairless wrinkly Persian
>>
>>29267557
Your poor, delicate eyes will be forced to see a lot of pokes you don't persoanlly like, princess. Npcs will be using all kinds of them

The only way to save yourself is not playing SM and getting off this board. Hurry, before someone posts a starter picture!
>>
i just wanna know why everyone hates the starters, honestly, they're the most solid we've seen since 4, what's the big deal here, i think they look great
>>
As someone who has liked the grand majority of Pokemon from every generation, I can say that Gen 7 is noticeably different.
For one we got three new kinds of Pokemon, the Gen 7 mons that seek to join the main cast, the Alolan forms and the Ultra Beasts.
-the new Gen 7 mons are a mixed bag and while none of the new Pokemon stand out as horrid designs, very few stand out as great designs; there's also the overload on feminine Pokemon because Gamefreak has found upon the notion that both girls and boys will like a Pokemon if it looks like a pretty woman
-the Alolan forms are really out there and honestly feel like jokes outside of a couple, namely Ninetales, they seem mostly lazy and that just makes it look like GF put them in late to appeal to the Pokemon Go audience
-the Ultra Beasts are an experiment, none of them are even close to Pokemon, I assume GF is testing the waters to see what would happen if they did Pokemon like a more traditional RP where all your big fights are against massive, ugly, weird monsters
I'm pretty disappointed in the Gen 7 Pokedex; it's distinctly worse than Gen 6 overall and I'm worried about the UBs and what their eventual purpose will be if we indeed can catch them.
>>
>>29267105

Stop fucking right now on that bullshit, this dex is too small for that... They basically dropped one audience for another
>>
>>29267709
Nothing stings as much as broken expectations.
It probably wouldn't have hurt people if the entire lines were revealed at once.

I for one love the shit out of them
>>
>>29267395
It's just a gray Persian with a round face and blue gem

If it was the entire thing turned fat I would like it, but what the shit is it
>>
>>29267709
Kneejerk backlash against the Waifufag Boogieman for Poppmaid

Kneejerk backlash against the Barafag Boogieman for Luchalitten
>>
>>29267575
I don't think Aromatisse is "meant to be cute", not in the traditional sense. It's very much in the same category of Jynx and Bruxish of garish, over the top weird "beauty".
>>
>>29267747
you're retarded
if anything this gen has taught me how bad vp's taste are, that most of you guys would let more mons be in no matter if they were shit or not, just so you can collect them
i thought we liked pokemon because of their differences in design and battling, not because of the quantity.
>>
>>29266759
No.
>Mimikyu
>Salandit2
>Wimpod2
>Silvally
>Robinhoot
>Vikavolt
>Lycanroc (both)
>Tsareena
>Gumshoos
>Bewear
>Oranguru
>Kommo-o
>Ribombee
>Lurantis
>Drampa
>Diving Spider
>Sea Urchin
>The Tapu
>UB-02 Absorption
>Marshadow
>baby Lunala
This gen is based.
>>
>>29267709
I can understand why people people don't like Litten3, the random gray breaks up the color scheme in a awkward way and the proportions are weird.

But I don't get the face complaint. He looks savage.
>>
>>29266928
>But how is it fucking possible to defend the fucking Seel. IT'S. JUST. A. REAL. SEAL!
>>
>>29266759

But I feel that Gen 7's designs overall are weaker than other generations. I'm fine with UB's cause they're not suppose to look like "Pokemon" so I'll get that out of the way.

For the Alolanmons and the Alolan Forms, theres really only 5 in total that I really like. the rest are either slightly like or fell they are pretty meh. They may grow on me but we'll see.
>>
>>29267144
ITP: It's literally okay when Gen 1 does it.
>>
The starters leaking as early as they did fucked up the fan reaction meta to EVERYTHING this go around. Sad day
>>
To be fair, you can still like a design, while coming to terms with the fact that your upset about what could of been.

Im not a huge fan that Pikipeki turned into this toucan. Especially when the jump seems so radical from the second form, which really did look like it had a natural progression going on.

Still, I dont hate the Toucan. I think I would prefer to withhold my judgement until is see the full thing moving in battle and have a chance to read its flavor text to learn more about it.

Its really no unreasonable to understand why people are upset. Evolution always is a tricky business. But as time passes its okay to enjoy a pokemon even if you felt it should of been something else.

Same thing happened with Drapion and Emboar for me. At first I was upset that Drapion didnt look more like a regular scorpion and Emboar didnt stay on all fours. But now they are some of my favorites.

Fact is, if you dont like it, thats perfectly okay. But whats done is done, and maybe if you give things a chance over time, you'll start to find your interests broaden.
>>
>>29268311
No, people shit on Gen 1 still for snake backwards or purple Rat

Why the fuck should they being doing if 21 years later
>>
I like things that I like, and don't care about what I don't. Only an actual shitposter would pretend to like or dislike something. I'm only really disappointed in the number of new lines, but I like a good amount of what we have, and I likely wont even use all of them anyway.
>>
>>29267233
I am very thankful that they made that anchormon. These types of weird things are made for me. Though a lot of my top favorites are also cutemons.
>>
File: fuckedUp.jpg (70KB, 490x250px) Image search: [Google]
fuckedUp.jpg
70KB, 490x250px
The only thing pokemon designs occasionally do to mess with me is royally fuck up the way animal legs work.

Sylveon's back legs look broken and I don't think they had any idea how Sawsbuck's front legs were supposed to bed. Blitzle has a little of that too, and Tauros has man knees with no ankles.

Its not a big deal but it's something wonky I'll notice.
>>
>>29267078
i think the real issue is over anthropomorphizing beast pokemon, not having too many "human" pokemon. previous gens had human and beast pokemon, this gen has humanized animals to easily give them personality quirks or feminine attributes, which im also not a fan of personally.
>>
>>29267208
what's wrong with civil discussions of artistic design dude, this thread has been pretty chill no need to get up in arms about a little critique
>>
>>29268116
this, if litten3 didn't have such a ducking awkward torso and huge oven mit paws i'd like it. i love a big grumpy tiger but it's design is too wonky for me!
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.