[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've always been a competitivefag in all games. But I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

I've always been a competitivefag in all games. But I'm living in a shitty place with awful internet (very bad ping), so I figured I should better play turn-based stuff instead of shooters/mobas.

Is Pokémon the game for me? I like statistics, doing autistic excel spreadsheets of info, etc. Got friends that are big into it and there are actual "lan" competitions around my city fairly often. But what scares me the most (apart from having to buy a 2DS for it) is the sheer amount of information I need to learn.

Would you recommend Pokémon for someone looking exclusively for competition?

I mean, of course I would have fun with the singleplayer and I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy breeding, but I'd mainly want to tryhard like with every other game.

Also, pic unrelated. I don't want to try to be the best. I just want to try to be as good as I can be in a game. I know it sounds fairly autistic but it's something I've always wanted in my life, and can't shake off the feeling that I can't do it in other games because my ping holds me back.
>>
>>29174891
As long as you do it in a way everyone can enjoy themselves, then sure. If ya want you can try Showdown to demo some of the mechanics.
ITT:Dont be a staller, actually play the game
>>
>>29174891
Judging from what you told us about yourself, I'd say that pokemon isn't for you.
However If you wanna see for yourself if you like or not try pokemon showdown, play random battles and watch the others matches to get an idea of how competitive pokemon works.
>>
>>29174915
I would try to learn all kinds of strategies, I won't tryhard in the sense of "I will find the most lame and secure way to win", I would try to actually git gud.

>>29174973
>Judging from what you told us about yourself, I'd say that pokemon isn't for you.
Why not exactly?

I haven't played Showdown extensively but I've gone to tournaments with my friends and they always try to explain concepts to me. What I don't like too much is the randomness the game can have sometimes, but I guess it isn't that bad.
>>
>>29174891
Play on Pokemon Showdown and look into the Smogon (and when SM comes out, VGC 2017) metas to see how you like it. This isn't a game where you need to have spreadsheets or anything. The things that help are using a damage calculator (Showdown already provides the best one available) and a good sense of probabilities. If you've ever played Poker and enjoyed it, Pokemon actually is pretty similar at the very highest level as far as how you have to think about the game.
>>
>>29175090
>If you've ever played Poker and enjoyed it, Pokemon actually is pretty similar at the very highest level as far as how you have to think about the game.

This is exactly what attracts me the most. I've played a very little bit of Póker and a lot of TCG, read about card games theory etc. And Pokémon really reminds me of those, just with pretty colors.

Are there any other resources apart from Smogon, Showdown and Nugget Bridge that I should check out?
>>
>>29175160
Those are really the major sources. Something to note is that a lot of the good information you can get from those websites isn't just on the main page, but deep in their forums. Smogon especially has tons of relevant competitive discussion, including teambuilding based threads and viability rankings (how strong certain Pokemon are in the respective tier).
>>
>>29175237
Thanks a lot. Will be playing in Showdown and then decide if I enjoy it enough to buy a DS+Sun/Moon. :)
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.