[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your opinion on megas? I don't really hate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

What's your opinion on megas?

I don't really hate them, but from a lore standpoint they don't fit Pokemon. I've always seen pokemon evolution as "growing up", instead of some magical transformation. This temporary evolution bullshit makes these creatures feel less natural.

That whole thing about megaevolution only being possible "if the pokemon has a strong bond with its trainer" is a complete digimon ripoff and isn't even true in the games. You can literally hatch a level 1 Mawile and megaevolve it right away using the stone. Why didn't they force you to increase its friendship or something?

The story is also full of plot holes. Mewtwo is an artificial pokemon. Why does it have a megastone? And why doesn't it work with Mew, if that's your explanation? And why the fuck is there an ancient, giant statue of Mega-Lucario in Kalos if supposedly nobody knew about megaevolution until recently?

From a gameplay standpoint, it's a complete failure too. It was supposed to make old shitmons viable, but:

-Most of the shitmons that got megas are still garbage. And now they can't use items.

-A lot of megaevolutions were given to GOOD pokemon to make them more OP, making my favorite shitmons even more unusable online.

-There are still tons of horrible pokemon that didn't get megas, while the most broken OU pokemon and LEGENDARIES got one (or two).

But the thing I hate the most is this:

A few shitmons became good thanks to their megaevolutions, but at what price? These pokemon were SHIT. Megaevolutions made them decent without giving them ugly permanent evolutions. That's good. Now they are on equal footing with the good pokemon... Right?

No. They can't hold items. You can't evolve more than 1 pokemon per battle. If you want to use two shitmons you love, one of them will remain shit while the other megaevolves. Mega-shitmons are supposed to be on equal footing with strong pokemon, but the strong pokemon don't have these restrictions. And most of them can mega evolve too.
>>
>mega corsola never
>>
File: 1468880907597.png (2MB, 1566x881px)
1468880907597.png
2MB, 1566x881px
>>29146629
I think they have completely dropped the concept of megas after ORAS. But they apparently afraid of giving old pokemon new evolutions after everyone hated those 4th gen abominations.
>>
>>29146629
>A lot of megaevolutions were given to GOOD pokemon to make them more OP, making my favorite shitmons even more unusable online.
>A few shitmons became good thanks to their megaevolutions, but at what price? These pokemon were SHIT. Megaevolutions made them decent without giving them ugly permanent evolutions. That's good. Now they are on equal footing with the good pokemon... Right?

People say this, but the most popular Mega (and most OP, barring legendaries) is Kangaskhan, a mon that was the DEFINITION of a shitmon before Gen 6. And, it didn't change all that much when it Mega Evolved, either.

Same goes for Mawile, another former shitmon. And Beedrill, for that matter, although that one's a bit of a departure design-wise.

Yeah, not every Mega is used because they're either not different enough compared to their base form with a Life Orb or Choice item, but when they're done well, they're done really well.
>>
>>29146950
My point is that Mega-shitmons are supposed to be good. But most of them are either completely broken or still pretty mediocre and unable to compete against the really good mons that everyone uses.

And the Mega-shitmons that manage to be good without being broken have stupid restrictions that limit your options. If some of my favorite pokemon are crap but they get megas, I should be able to use all of their megas in the same battle, not just one.

I believe megas are restricted to one per battle because they are overpowered, but that's the problem. Good pokemon shouldn't have been given megas. Megas should make bad pokemon as strong as the good pokemon. They shouldn't be limited.

The current system is terrible. I want to use my favorites, but that means I have to choose between the two megas. Granted, I could have both megas and evolve the pokemon I need the most during a battle, but that means the other pokemon will stay a shitmon AND carry an unusable megastone instead of something useful.
>>
>>29146858
Am I the only one who loves the 4 gen evolutions?
>>
>pressing a win button
why even have me bother to train a pokemon in that case
>>
>>29147197
nope
>>
Ghost type mega corsola when?
>>
>>29147197
>>29147209
shit taste
>>
>>29146858
>everyone hated those 4th gen abominations

/vp/ =/= everyone. and that's absolutely not why they stopped cross-generational evolutions.
>>
>>29147197
The gen 1 evolutions were all fat and ugly. The gen 2 ones were better received, but only because they gave new life to forgotten shitmon like Togetic, Yanma or Gligar. Still ugly as fuck, but nobody gave a crap about those guys anyway. Gen 2 is the best gen, but most of its pokemon are weak, forgettable and hard to find in a normal playthrough.

The idea of turning Magmar into a fat fuck and Tangela into the cookie monster didn't sit well with the fans of gen 1.
>>
I hate them.

Even worse, most of the time they are so poorly thought out they don't even fix Pokemon that get them. M-Gallade gets Inner Focus?

They are a cancer.
>>
File: 1426474892721.jpg (171KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1426474892721.jpg
171KB, 800x800px
>>29147302
>Gen 2 is the best gen
>>
>>29147302
>shitting on yanmega
>shitting on togekiss
>shitting on gliscor
>shitting on magmortar
>gen 2 best
why are you even still alive
>>
I need more gen 2 megas
>>
>>29147387
>cute dragonfly becomes ugly as fuck
>angel becomes a fat bird
>cool flying scorpion becomes an overdesigned edgelord
>magmar had too many hamburgers

>>29147342
>best games
>best engine
>best graphics
>best pokemon
>best mechanics
>best ev system
>no natures
>no physical/special split
>no clone moves of different types
>best starters
>best gym leaders
>best region
>best music
>best meta
The remakes were absolute garbage. What they did to Dark Cave and Goldenrod theme is criminal. And GB Sounds doesn't help because it sounds nothing like the old games. It's shit.
>>
>>29147493
Also, best animated sprites BY FAR, best move animations and best rival. That's all.
>>
>>29147493
>>best mechanics
>>best ev system
>>no natures
>>no physical/special split
The battle system having less depth is a good thing to you?
>no clone moves of different types
So clone moves of the same type like Harden, Defense Curl, Leer and Tail Whip are okay? Spoilers: no they're just as bad.
>best starters
They're by far the most boring ones.
>best gym leaders
Almost none of them use Johto pokemon, so no.
>best region
No, more like the least interesting. Look at Cianwood in the originals. There's literally fucking nothing there at all. It's just a shore with some buildings. Outside of Violet, Ecruteak and Olivine, it's easily the most forgettable region.

Although I'm probably arguing with a gigantic nostalgiafag who won't listen to reason so I don't know why I bothered typing all this up. Have a nice day, anon.
>>
File: 1471496393767.jpg (233KB, 783x611px)
1471496393767.jpg
233KB, 783x611px
>>29147564
>The battle system having less depth is a good thing to you?
Natures and the new EV system makes playthroughs very unsatisfying and frustrating. RBY and GSC were much more enjoyable than anything that came afterwards, all because of that crap.

Not being able max every stat is good for competitive battles, but the way it's implemented in-game is garbage. You should be able to change a pokemon's nature and choose where to put your evs after a level up.

>So clone moves of the same type like Harden, Defense Curl, Leer and Tail Whip are okay? Spoilers: no they're just as bad.
I'm talking about type uniqueness. Back then, we didn't have things like a grass type hyper beam (Frenzy plant) or a water type quick attack (Aqua jet). Or a fighting type giga drain... You get what I mean. Every type had moves with unique effects that other types didn't have. If you wanted to absorb health from the enemy, you had to go with grass types. If you wanted to use dragons, you had to deal with the shitty dragon moves.

I'm not saying that shit was better than what we have now, but every type felt more unique. Now many types have a quick attack clone, an hyper beam clone or a fly clone. I don't really like that.

>They're by far the most boring ones.
Because their designs were completely ruined in gen 3. Especially Feraligatr. They used to have lots of personality.

>Almost none of them use Johto pokemon, so no.
I'm talking about their designs and personalities. Who doesn't love Whitney?

>No, more like the least interesting. Look at Cianwood in the originals. There's literally fucking nothing there at all. It's just a shore with some buildings. Outside of Violet, Ecruteak and Olivine, it's easily the most forgettable region.
I disagree. And still, it's the only region that uses that graphical style. RBY's graphics were similar but very limited and dull in comparison, while RSE lost that old school charm. And the DS graphics are bloated pseudo 3D garbage.
>>
File: WlR3N2p[1].gif (633KB, 500x290px)
WlR3N2p[1].gif
633KB, 500x290px
>>29146858
The gen 4 evolutions were a mixed bag. Gen 4 had trash like Rhyperior and Magmortar but it also had amazing Pokemon like Yanmega and Porygon-Z.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.