[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread s/time-turn-limits-on-ga

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2

File: banner_bummer.png (162KB, 506x363px) Image search: [Google]
banner_bummer.png
162KB, 506x363px
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/time-turn-limits-on-games.3570398/page-2#post-7020789
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9207945/showdown/Games/OU-2016-10-06-abr-idmtubby.html
>seven hour, 1287 turn long match with timerstalling
>smogonfags truly, unironically think this is ok
>>
did you even read the thread
>>
>>29136988
Yes.
Some people are saying it's okay.
And the people saying it's okay are getting more likes.
>>
Who fucking cares? Like seriously, you went out of your way to find this just to post it here and try to start shit.

Fuck off, faggot.
>>
>>29137024
well what other ideas do you have? how do you think that they should solve the problem?
>>
>>29137232
Just use a chess timer with 30 minutes per player?
It's pretty simple.
>>
>>29137361
>haha smogonfags are so stupid, they think that a 6 hour long match should be acceptable
>instead, they should use a system that allows for battles to go on for even longer

??????¿???
>>
>>29137417
30 minutes of time total for the whole match, retard
>>
>>29137497
that's barely enough time. especially if you're looking at stall vs. stall, matches could take a minimum 45 minutes.

also, how would the winner be decided aftee the 30 minutes was up?
>>
>>29137567
That's 30 minute per person, so an entire hour for a match. That's more than enough time, and if you play each match for longer than an hour, you have bigger problems than pokemon
>>
>>29136888
The current system is the best.
Sure, timerstalling without total time limit makes the battles drag.But as long as the opponent is dedicated you're not actually getting a win out of it.
Put a total time limit and timerstalling doesn't just get more viable, but there aren't any countermeasures at all.
>>
>>29137705
>That's 30 minute per person, so an entire hour for a match.
Are you fucking retarded?
Both players choose their actions at the same time in pokémon.
>>
>>29136888
>gen 2 is endless stall
No shit
Meanwhile in gen 6 OU
>Let's just copy the official format and remove item clause and 1 hour time limit
>Add dozens of bans and some complex bans
Just add a timer to the older gens. Smogon has always created their own rules.
>>
>>29137958
>SEVEN
>HOURS
>can't take a break to shit or to eat or anything
>>
>>29137232
Why not have it so where:
>10 minutes pass and simulator checks the field.
>If there is less than 2 Pokemon dead, you can forfeit without lowering your ladder, while the guy who stays still gets up in the ladder.
>If there is multiply Pokemon gone, the forfeits still drop your ladder
-The simulator checks again after another 10 minutes
>Repeats the previous 2 steps
>After an hour, you can quit no matter what condition
Implement something like that and everyone is happy.
>>
>>29138947
except the 7 hour games aren't arent happening on the ladder, they're happening on official tournaments
>>
Stfu tele you lost
>>
>>29136888
>500 plus turns of them switching
Why didn't one of them just take a chance and use an attack?
>>
>>29141581
Apparently tele attacking was a 'mistake' and why the other guy was the real winner.
>>
>>29137567
Doesn't the game decide the winner by who has more pokemon conscious at the end of the time limit, or by the player with the most total HP at the end of the game if they both have the same number of pokemon?
>>
>>29141671
Yes.
But they don't want to implement that because that doesn't accurately describe the winner when stall is involved or something
>>
File: .png (650KB, 849x637px) Image search: [Google]
.png
650KB, 849x637px
>make multiple complex bans to prevent endless battles, because they change the win condition to 'get the opponent to quit'
>7 fucking hours of nothing but switching is totally okay, even though the win condition literally turned into 'stall and take advantage of timezones to FORCE the opponent to quit'
>>
What the fuck were they even doing to reach ~1300 turns?
>>
>>29142569
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_PMab-SGgY
>>
Still better than gen2
>>
>>29141695
One thing that kind of sucks about the match timer is when you have one pokemon left, it can EASILY take down the opponent's other two pokemon, but the opponent decides to run the timer down so he/she can win by default.

>60 seconds left in the match
>I WILL win in 3 turns if I play correctly
>Opponent takes 30 seconds per turn and I can't make my winning play because he's a fag who can't man up and accept that he got outplayed. Time runs out. He wins.

FUCKING...AHHH!!!
>>
>>29141601
>Attacking is a mistake, and if you attack, you lose
>This is the pokemon Smogon wants to play
They must be fucking Canadians
>>
>>29142835
That's why you want chess timers like the new VGC.
Timer stalling just hurts yourself
>>
>>29142918
How would chess timers work in a game where both players act on the same turn?

Also, there would still have to be a turn-time limit so that, lets say, a player can't make one odd play in the first turn and then just stall out for 30 minutes for the win...
>>
>>29143052
How it works in SM VGC is that both players have 60 seconds to choose their move.
Until they choose their move, it ticks down their personal 15 minute timer. If your personal timer goes to 0, you straight up lose.
>>
>>29143104
Ok, I get it...I think I like it. You get seriously punished for taking to long instead of rewarded.
>>
Were both teams stall?
>>
>>29143378
Yes.
>>
>There is a clear difference between optimal moves and optimal moves when there's a time limit, namely that the optimal moves with a time limit are not to do with the aspects of the battle that are most competitive, but rather are to do with the time limit imposed. I think the better way to go is by encouraging the most optimal moves based on competitiveness. Yes the games where that is the case can be more boring, but if you ever find yourself in ABR's situation, you'd almost certainly prefer boring but a definite win to exciting but you could very well lose.

this utter cunt is ignoring the fact that the cartridge itself has a time limit. this situation would not occur in the actual games.
>>
there should be a switch limit
>>
>>29136888

M-Mawile is the truth, fuck all you autists.
>>
>>29137958

>But as long as the opponent is dedicated you're not actually getting a win out of it.

By "dedicated" I'm assuming you mean "has nothing else to do all day besides playing Pokemon"?
>>
>>29138124

You can if you have a laptop. Maybe PS should ban laptop users from entering timed matches. It's an unfair advantage.
>>
>Smogon fighting an uphill battle trying to use a shitty simulator with inaccurate mechanics
nothing new here
>>
>>29144410

how are the mechanic inaccurate?
>>
>>29144457
>sleep clause mod
>hp bar gives too much info
>>
>>29144457
In the case of timer, showdown's system isn't anything like the real game. They don't even force a turn timer in ladder matches and there's no overall battle time limit. It's also impossible for simulator timer to be accurate because they don't have the same animations as the game and are just different speeds in general
>>
>>29136888

>some retards who just so happen to be part of a group have retarded opinions
>THIS MEANS THE ENTIRETY OF SMOGON IS STOOPID!

Every time /vp/. every single time.
>>
lol i sure am happy that i am smart enough to realize that winning a tournament match on showdown isn't worth seven hours of my life
>>
It's simple. You should be rewarded diminishing returns and receive diminishing reductions the longer a match takes to win.
>>
>>29141016
It's shitty logistics to not incorporate a timer in a tournament. The tournament wouldn't flow on a rough schedule, and conclude in a timely manner. It could last for hours, even days if there is no time regulation. Eggs was banned in modern MtG for this very reason.

There are zero reasons why a video game with very limited choices with only one command input per turn should take seven fucking hours.
>>
>>29143853
we can create more favorable conditions on PC battle simulators, one of which is being no time limit outside of having a time limit (reset each turn)
>>
>>29144246
Please do not try and steer smogons love of stall away from them. They made the decision to get rid of all the breakers to bring them to this stall/bulky dominated meta.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.