[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could Yo-Kai Watch be the Pokémon killer we've speculated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: 1476479093976.jpg (27KB, 575x338px) Image search: [Google]
1476479093976.jpg
27KB, 575x338px
Could Yo-Kai Watch be the Pokémon killer we've speculated for so long?
>>
Pokemon Go did what it just did. No.
>>
>>29136345
Not sure about games but the Yo-Kai Watch anime dub is far more quality than the Pokemon anime dub.

The rewriting is well done and the censorship is kept surprisingly minimal compared to the 4kids days.

It also helps that YW new and this is the 6th fucking time Ash lost the league.
>>
>>29136345
Never. Pokemon has years of advertising; not to mention almost every normie adores pikachu, eevee, etc. Then there's Yo-Kai watch, where every design is based on obscure Japanese monsters. It may compete with pokemon in Japan, but not in the rest of the world. Just look at Pokemon GO: Pokemon became the single most popular thing in the fucking world for a good two or three weeks, just by making a shitty low-effort app.

I'd say Pokemon has another solid 20 years before it'll even get close to having to worry about being "killed".
>>
>>29136345
Swing that X and Y sold 2+ million (worldwide) in 2 days, no.
>>
I think OP was being sarcastic... 35k in a month is garbage.
>>
>>29136480
This.
35K would be garbage even in Japan, and Japan has way less sales on average.
To put it in perspective, Fire Emblem would have been killed if Awakening didn't sell at least 250k, iirc.
Further comparison, Pokemon sales, on average, sell between 10 and 12 million.
>>
>>29136480
Didn't the 1st game sell like 117k or something? Because with those sales there's hardly any hope for the franchise in the US.
>>
Yokai Watch is one of those weird things where there's tons of merchandise in every store, but I never actually see kids with any of it.
Meanwhile, tons of kids have Pokemon backpacks and shirts and stuff.
>>
>>29136660
100K isn't too bad if its a niche series, but its absolutely horrid for something with as much advertising and push as Yokai Watch.
It had no real hope, honestly. Its popularity in Japan is due to familiarity with the lore its based on, and its too childish to be targeting teens or adults in the west who could actually know these things.
>>
I hope so, that way this damn board will die and it'll become the new Yokai Watch board
>>
I work for a game retailer. Not in the store level. Regional level in corporate. Yokai was not a good seller nationwide.

Lots of stores already have used copies on the shelves.
>>
>>29136439
It was Yu-gi-oh that was known for 4kids censorship, not Pokemon. Pokemon's censorship was pretty negligible compared to how anime was usually edited back then, aside from the small handful of examples everyone remembers.
>>
No, because Yokai Watch isn't exactly popular or even that well known outside of Japan.
>>
>>29136345
Pokemon has to quit to even give a chance for Yokai to kill it
>>
File: mM5SDEW.jpg (194KB, 980x549px) Image search: [Google]
mM5SDEW.jpg
194KB, 980x549px
>>29136345

Nothing will ever kill Pokémon unless It's the creator of Pokémon himself.
Only He can kill Pokémon.
>>
>>29136440
>normies adoring pikachu vs obscure yokai
I just want to add that I think yokai's design choices in general seem subpar to pokemon. I was open to looking into it until I saw that most of the monsters weren't appealing. I'm sure there's a few cute and cool ones. But most just feel very neutral and generic. Or downright ugly like mandog.
>>
File: 1472078721912.jpg (121KB, 750x721px) Image search: [Google]
1472078721912.jpg
121KB, 750x721px
I posted this in another thread but I'm curious about everyones opinion here as well
Everyone here on /vp/ insist that Game Freak and Pokemon as a whole aren't threatened to be taken over by Yokai-Watch yet they've now replaced Pokemon in the Japanese Olympics for 2020 and a lot of the merchandise from Pokemon is increasingly looking similar to Yokai merch.
If Game Freak isn't as worried as everyone here proclaims they are then why is there so much mimicking going on?

I wonder what 2ch/2chan have to say about all of this.
>>
>>29137053
Pokemon kinda pushes every other monster catching game out of the spotlight because it's simply too big already. I'm pretty sure that's what killed the Joker series outside of Japan.
>>
I played the demo and honestly I don't understand how its popular at all even in japan. design wise its worse then modern digimon. it reminds me of some off brand ds game that you find for 5 dollars while waiting in the line at old navy
>>
>>29137053
> they've now replaced Pokemon in the Japanese Olympics for 2020
They've said that the reason for this was the opposite. Pokemon is so popular across the world that they were worried that it wasn't as closely associated with Japan as the other franchises chosen.
>>
>>29136883
Crabhammer
>>
>>29137188
Some people prefer the designs of youkai watch over pokemon, which is understandable.
>>
lol people really thought it was going to succumb to Yokai

not when GF still has the capacity to create breakout stars like lucario and memefrog
>>
>>29136439
I could dub the Pokemon anime better by myself.
>>
>>29137025
To me, Yokai's designs are not as universal as Pokemon's.

Most kids could relate to Rapidash or Mudsdale because they resemble horses, a common animal recognized worldwide. Yokais are more cultural-specific and that makes them less worldly-appealing.
>>
>>29137206
But because the Olympics is about bringing all the nations of the world together for sports, a time of fun and peace, Pokemon is perfect for that role. No matter where you're from, Pokemon is practically language-less and inviting to all.
>>
Yo-Kai Watch pretty much heavily influenced the upcoming games and anime.

Can't top Pokémon's sales, but it's undeniable that they've shaken the GF to be more innovative at least.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.