[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I feel like /vp/ doesn't know the difference between concept

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

File: file.png (2MB, 1664x532px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2MB, 1664x532px
I feel like /vp/ doesn't know the difference between concept and execution.

It's not the concept that's bad. It's the execution.
Alolan Muk as an oil slick would have looked cool as fuck if they had just made it look like an oil slick. Just having it be slightly transparent with the pink and yellow shimmering over it would have been perfect. Instead it just looks like clay.

This applies to a lot of poor designs that /vp/ is quick to defend because they don't want to look like genwunners.
>>
>>29135511
Ok
Cool memes bro
>>
>>29135511
But that doesn't make sense for the lore. The oil slick is just a visual design.
>>
Who cares?
>>
>>29135511
>because they don't want to look like genwunners.
Or people just have different opinions than you do
>>
>>29135511
End your pathetic life.
>>
>>29135511

If its coloring were that complex, nobody would draw fanart for it.
>>
File: 1472931914132.png (263KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
1472931914132.png
263KB, 1000x562px
>>29135511
Do we need this thread about every pokemon that isn't a kaiju, a coolmon, a cutemon or a waifumon?
>>
>Implying most people don't like Alolan Muk.
>>
>>29135511
Sure, let's see you program a transparent model into the game
>>
>>29135511
What Pokemon has ever been designed to look transparent? Even Ghosts and Ice types aren't.
>>
>>29135780
There are people who feel the need to present their shitty opinion as fact even if its based on poor understanding of the concept and execution.
>>
>>29135511
> The concept is not bad, it's the execution

Is it the new argument to use for shitting on "goofymons"?

I don't stop to read this against some Pokémon, implying that the design is bad because is not "nice to look at" as others as Pokémon designed to be cute or badass.

Hell, it's Pocket MONSTERS, and many Pokémon are intended to be ugly kaijus. Game Freak don't care if their designs are ugly if they have a great lore or have an innovative fight style.
>>
>>29135780
A Pokemon doesn't need to fit those requirements to be a good design, like pic related. But there is a very big difference between CONCEPT and EXECUTION.

It's not a case of not getting the basis of the design. It's the design, visually, looking like shit. I don't give a shit that Vvanilluxe is so innovative and clever because it's an icicle that pretends to be an ice cream cone, I think it's a poor design because it looks bad.

There are very few cases in which a poor execution is made up for by its concept - Voltorb is the one that immediately comes to mind. It looks like shit, but it does have a legitimate reason for doing so, being the generic RPG mimic. Whether that excuses its poor execution is up to you, but it has a genuine reason to look like that, whether you like it or not.

>>29135854
Reuniclus.

Translucent is the word I should have used.

What do patterns have to do with anything?

>>29135966
There's nothing wrong with goofymons. And Pokemon can be ugly without being poorly-designed - Venusaur is ugly, but not poorly-designed. Magmar is both ugly and poorly-designed.
>>
>>29135780
That seems. Pokémon fanbase is autistic as fuck.
>>
>>29135996
Ok
Nice blogpost
Upvoted
>>
>>29135996
>Magmar is both ugly and poorly-designed
Okay now you crossed the fucking line.
One thing is shitposting and the other is messing with my bro.
Fucking kill yourself.
>>
>>29135996
>replying to multiple posts at once
One of those huh?
>>
>>29135511
it's a cartoon
realistic oil slick would look out of place
>>
>>29135511
autism
>>
>>29135511
Nice autism. Back to r/pokemon with you, new fag.

Alolan Muk is an amazing design, and better than OG Muk in every way. I can't wait to have one on my team
>>
File: 1475705452646.png (190KB, 540x482px) Image search: [Google]
1475705452646.png
190KB, 540x482px
>It's a "I'll pretend my subjective opinion is an objective criticism" episode
>>
>>29135996
>Magmar is both ugly and poorly-designed

Stopped reading there.
>>
>>29136066
It wouldn't look realistic. It would just look like a stylized oil slick.
Alolan Muk in its current state does not resemble an oil slick.

>>29136057
You can like a Pokemon and acknowledge it has faults in its design. It's not all or nothing.
Roserade is one of my favorite Pokemon and I think that the bouquets look like shit and are a massive downgrade from Roselia's detailed flowers. Doesn't stop me from loving Roserade.
>>
File: LITERALLYACID.gif (682KB, 268x160px) Image search: [Google]
LITERALLYACID.gif
682KB, 268x160px
>>29135511
>Implying the execution is bad
The execution is FLAWLESS. It conveys the vibes of an oil slick without literally being an oil slick. Its an oil slick MONSTER.

Why does a characterized design need to be 100% identical with its inspiration to not be bad? Its flawed logic.
>>
File: 1472761581818.jpg (47KB, 462x531px) Image search: [Google]
1472761581818.jpg
47KB, 462x531px
>>29135996
Designs aren't absolute shit or good. Execution can range from anywhere going from shit, to bad, to good or absolutely (near) flawless.

Take your example. Alolan Grimer is a mediocre execution, not much use of the crystallized poison and the yellow beard doesn't shimmer onto the rest of the body. However it at least hints at its evolution with the yellow beard being part of Muk's shimmer along with the crystallized poison teeth.

Now look at Alolan Muk who actually capitallizes on the crystallized poison concept and actually does shimmer if you actually watched the trailer. While oil slicks are translucent Alolan Grimer and Muk are actually more dense than their original counterparts that actually store the toxins inside their body to the point of being odorless and causing crystallization on the outside, so I feel it makes sense they would stay opaque. With this said, Alolan Muk is not without flaw since its colors are overly bright and give a bit too much of a garish look to it.

And to give a couple examples so I don't sound like a biased hipster look at Bewear. There's a bad execution of a good concept since despite its lore it still looks like it's not hitting a good balance between red panda and mascot bear at all. Also I feel the opposite way you do on Vanilluxe. I find its cute smile adorable but feel like Vanillish: Two Scoops edition was an incredibly lazy to top of the line.

And finally
>Scolipede
>not a coolmon
>>
>>29135996
>>29135996
> Pic name
Scolipede is easily a coolmon and I'm sure exist a similar bug kaiju.

> Venusaur is ugly, but not poorly-designed. Magmar is both ugly and poorly-designed.
I agree in the examples, but not in Alolan Muk. Besides having had such a limited basis, I think they made an interesting design. Ugly, but interesting.
>>
>>29136173
Ok
>>
>>29136175
See >>29136173

I know it's a monster. And I'm not saying it has to be a 1:1 parallel to a real oil slick, as that would be boring.

>>29136186
I saw the trailer. It doesn't shimmer. The colors move, but that's not shimmering. I'm talking like the Z-move effect.

>>29136194
I don't think Scolipede is a coolmon like Gyarados is a coolmon. Besides, that's an extremely vague category to have and it just sounds like you're trying to excuse poor designs.

And it may look interesting but I don't think that that excuses the visuals. Making it translucent with pink and yellow shimmers would have been interesting as well.

Lastly, I don't think every Pokemon should look like a kaiju. That's selfish. But Kanto Muk and Alolan Muk are two sides of the same coin, and Alolan Muk isn't as solid of a design as the original. This is a shame as most other Alolan forms we've seen have been on-par with its original.
>>
File: eeveez1.jpg (25KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
eeveez1.jpg
25KB, 400x240px
>>29136321
Whenever I try to imagine how you would've prefered Alolan Muk to me it would just make it feel too much like a recolor at face value after that which doesn't feel as annoying when the body colors are in a different arrangement compared to the original, and if it were exactly like the Z-Move effect which only really renders on the visible edges of the body and not the whole thing. I prefer the execution we ended up getting of being like a cartoony shimmer, but again, the colors are too garish to be just right.

Also Gamefreak is garbage with 3D and would probably have to cut that execution anyway due to some sort of bug during Z-Move usage they'd be too lazy to fix.
>>
>>29136321
>and Alolan Muk isn't as solid of a design as the original

But anon, common Muk is just a pile of mud with face. That's not a cool concept. How can be a solid design a Pokémon that don't has a solid origin?
>>
>>29136170
Well yeah it's the last sentence in the post.
>>
>>29136828
Common Muk is a bad concept with a good execution. Generic slime monsters have always been a thing in JRPGs. Visually, it looks fine. There aren't any jarring colors or anything that looks explicitly bad. It's a generic slime monster, just made of poison sludge.

Anyway, the point of this thread wasn't to get people to agree with me about Muk, it was to get people to know the difference between concept and execution.
>>
>>29137068
Have you ever considered the possibility that just maybe some people already understand the difference and just happen to disagree with you?
>>
this gen is shit lmao
>>
>>29137165
/thread
>>
>>29137165
>I don't like how X looks
>Fucking idiot X is a perfect design you just don't get that it's based off of whatever

This happens all the time on here.

I don't care if you like something that I don't, or if you like something that I don't. But for most people the execution is what's important, and the concept is secondary.
>>
>>29135511
you dont even understand its concept do you?
>>
>>29137238
Well I mean people usually just say that without a more detailed argument because usually people just use the shittiest, most overused and subjective criticism ever used by anywhere in the fanbase when it comes to Pokemon designs.

"It's shit because it's ugly."

That's it. People don't usually go "It's shit because...". Something like that at least has the chance to prompt a more detail argument. Just, "it's ugly lol" That's why you see a lot of simple "but it's supposed to be this" but "it looks like shit because it looks like shit" is just gonna get people arguing back saying they like the concept. How are they supposed to argue why you dislike it if all you say is "it looks like shit".

And like I said what if these people saying that already considered the execution first? Most times you end up seeing the average response to a Probopass hate post with that long text rant with a picture of a restored moai they tend to factor the execution as well.
>>
>>29135511
go drown yourself in a shit-filled toilet you whiny fuck. its a good design and waaaay better than regular muk
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.