[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which starter-dungeon forest was the best? Best layout? Best

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 9

File: pkforests.jpg (375KB, 1344x640px) Image search: [Google]
pkforests.jpg
375KB, 1344x640px
Which starter-dungeon forest was the best? Best layout? Best mood? Best ecology? Best landmark or gimmick?
>>
>>29112320
I like all of them to be honest, couldn't really pick one.
>>
>>29112320
Pinwheel
>>
Do Ilex and Pinwheel really count as "Starter Dungeons", they were like, after the second gym. And Eterna right before the second gym.
>>
>>29112320
why did you put viridian forest twice?
>>
>>29112320

Unova one for sure. There were so many little shortcuts and hidden areas. Plus it had a lot of cool Pokemon.
>>
Eterna. The haunted vibe is so great
>>
>>29112347
Ask Gamefreak
>>
>>29112320
Pinwheel has best layout and leads up to best bridge and best city.
>>
>>29112346
Before the second gym dumbass
>>
>>29112320

Pinwheel was the best "forest" feeling dungeon for me. the Old Chateau is one of the best places in the entire series, let alone forest dungeons.
>>
Eterna Forest solely for the music.
>>
Pinwheel. Didn't it unlock more areas after the E4 too in BW?
>>
>>29112320
I love Eterna Forest's music and Pinwheel Forest's layout. There's so much to explore in the latter.
>>
>>29112320
Viridian and Santalune feel a bit bland, but they come earlier in the game than the others do so I can forgive it
Ilex is really lacking, but the puzzle involving Farfetch'd was unique, the Celebi lore is cool especially once it was realized worldwide in HGSS, and the graphics in gen 4 make it super fun. I also like how it operates encounters on cave rules, makes more sense than a forest only having encounters in tall grass.
Petalburg is very nostalgic and I like that it actually encourages you to come back with cut, but it's just decent, not the best
Eterna has too many battles, and while Cheryl does heal you to make it less of a pain I don't like having a parter attack in ways I don't want it to (imagine finding a shiny?). Music was baller though.
Pinwheel has a great atmosphere, lots of trainers but it's easy to heal without the issue Eterna has, and I like that it has a lot of different paths, the one you take to fight Team Plasma, a direct route that ties together the whole tristate area motif as one road goes straight from Charizard Bridge to Striaton City, and the side area once you get surf to fight Virizion.
Pinwheel is probably my favorite, though Ilex is close behind.
>>
>>29112378
Ilex and Pinwheel are both after the second gym, are you high?
>>
>>29112415

Actually slightly before E4 IIRC, because Virizion was in the hidden area.
>>
>>29112346
True, Union Cave was technically the first dungeon in johto, but Pinwheel was still the first dungeon in Unova, even if it took a while to get to.
>>
>>29112432
I dunno Ilex was bad a a map but the farfetch'd miniquest, the celebi shrine, the headbutt trees, and the time based pokemon availability made it feel pretty big with all the running around you did. Having access to things like Exeggcute and Pineco helped give the sense that your exploration actually paid off, rather than just walking away with some XAttack or an extra pokeball. Also I loved Oddish wandering around the woods at night like its pokedex said. It also never made much sense that most of the forests aren't overrun with grass types.
>>
>>29112320
Viridian for best BGM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9brbQy3Yog

Pinwheel for best layout and pokemon availability
>sewaddle & venipede
>cottonee & petilil
>sawk, throh, & timburr
>all 3 monkeys
>tympole
>audino

Ilex and Eterna tied for best gimmick:
headbutt trees and time sensitive wilds: daytime hoothoots enter battle SLP
haunted house + ghosts at night

Eterna and Pinwheel tied for best mood overall
>>
>>29112887
>Pinwheel for best layout and pokemon availability

Ilex variety was better imho
Not that many types but i liked most of the pokemon there and some of them are really nice to finally have in the early game

The monkeys are negatives. Fuck those dumb monkeys
>>
File: forest.png (444KB, 1272x492px) Image search: [Google]
forest.png
444KB, 1272x492px
>>29112320
Aesthetically, Ilex.

But Pinwheel for traversing it. With the worst being Petalburg Woods
>>
>>29113036
>the worst being Petalburg Woods
I feel like that goes without saying
>>
>>29113036
>>29113073
>petalburg worst

Fucking unovabortions and genwunners
>>
>>29112349
yeah my vote goes to Unova as well
>>
>>29113118
but it's true.
petalburg. more like petalbore.
>>
>>29113118
defend this
>>
>>29112449
Oh whoops I misread eterna being after the second, I apologize
>>
>>29113118
This mentality is cancer. I love Hoenn but Petalburg has nothing going for it. It doesn't feel like a forest but a route with trees.
>>
Ilex is the only forest where you can encounter Pokemon without grass, right?
>>
>>29112887
Idk if you can really include audino in any listing of a locations Pokemon, you can find him anywhere that has grass
>>
>>29112320
>tfw cant even remember the gen 4 and 5 ones.
>>
>>29112320
>Best
Ilex Forest
>Worst
Viridian/Whatever the one in XY is called
>Most Intricate
Pinwheel Forest
>Most Boring
Petalburg Woods
>>
>>29112320
I have the fondest memories of Ilex but Pinwheel is the best designed.
>>
>>29112320
G/S/C Ilex Forest overall

Pokemon has never had a dark/night-time palette as good as that since; night time always looks too bright.
>>
>>29113402
This. Ilex is forestkino
>>
I liked the lore of Ilex and the spoopiness of Eterna.
>>
>>29113301
You get some trees and grass and ledges and shit and you mix em all together and holy fuck what do we get son we get a forest
Nothing special, no gimmick, just your casual forest
It's lack of anything special makes it the worst because it's boring as hell and it's also small as hell.
>>
>>29112320
Overall? Either Pinwheel or Ilex. Would add Eterna but something feels off about it. Could be how straightforward it is with few twists and turns.

Layout was hands down Pinwheel. Loved the fallen logs and side areas like the grove, and the dual bridge/main road was neat to get through it quickly on subsequent visits. Lily pads and dark grass were a nice attention to detail as well.

Mood was Platinum's Eterna with all the shade and moss rock making it look cool temperature wise. I also liked the fact that it was in what looked like a valley with all the cliffs surrounding it. And let's not forget that creepy mansion.

Ecology was HG/SS Ilex. I simply adored the charm of not having tall grass yet still encountering pokemon. It was more like a cave, wasn't it? Gives a quaint, small feel to it like a topiary garden, with a nice pond to bring it all together. But come to think of it I think it's more of the Johto's headbutting that I like the ecology. I'm a sucker for unique integration like that even I do admit Santalune has a nice variety of pokemon.

Landmark or gimmick. Is this even a question? Ilex definitely. Celebi's shrine was very interesting with both the spiky eared pichu and Celebi events taking place there. And let's not forget the headbutt tutor! Also I liked the Farfethc'd minigame. But I will say now that it's an old game and you can't do these anymore, Eterna's mansion is a better candidate for this section.
>>
>>29113463
This, something as simple as Ilex's shrine makes it really cool. It just feels that way.
>>
I want to say Ilex for the nostalgia, but the one from BW is better looking and more interesting. the bridge, the fallen threes, the river, the cliffs, the extra area with Virizion, etc
The worst is Petalburg
>>
>it's old so you cant pick it its just nostalgia

you idiots are the worst
>>
>>29112320
They're all good
>>
Pinwheel > NotViridian > Ilex > Eterna > Viridian > Petalburg
>>
>>29113520
There's nothing wrong with nostalgia, but most forest areas are flat. I would rank them:

Unova > Johto = Sinnoh > Kanto/Kalos > Hoenn

Hoenn is just bad, Kanto/Kalos is plain, Johto has the shrine and a pond, Sinno has the mansion, and Unova has a ton of unique geography
>>
File: Main Forests.png (974KB, 1440x1016px)
Main Forests.png
974KB, 1440x1016px
>>29112320
>>29113036
Updated

>>29113118
What is good about it?

>>29113392
The worst part is Santalune ends up with much, much worse aesthetics than Viridian so it's even more pointless.
>>
>>29113668
I like what they did to Viridian Forest in HGSS, finding the right trees for the new pokemon was a pain in the ass though
>>
>>29113668
That second screenshot of BW is of the area just before the forest. I would suggest using the one in the OP or another from the cliffy area
>>
File: Main Forest.png (1MB, 1440x1016px)
Main Forest.png
1MB, 1440x1016px
>>29113668
Dang, forgot to line up Lush Jungle, will fix

>>29113690
HGSS made it one of the best looking IMO. Plus since the eyecatch is an in game depiction of the place and thus a "canon" look of the place, it gets that sweet image as a bonus

>>29113703
The outdoor area is also Pinwheel Forest. It's one of the biggest reasons I felt the picture needed two images each. It says "Pinwheel Forest" on the screen right as you leave Nacrene
>>
>>29112320
Ilex and Pinwheel have reasons to come back later, unless you count the mansion in Eterna. Personally that makes them more memorable. Viridian, the Hoenn route and the XY one arent that standout
>>
>>29113771
If the outside area also counts, then Pinwheel is truly the best early forest area in the series. Unova was pretty linear, but it had a lot of good locations
>>
>>29114166
Eh, I liked Eterna's exterior better. Navigating the outskirts of the forest by cutting down young trees all while on a mountainside is as geographically interesting as it gets. Unova's just has a big cliff with a rock and some puddles.
>>
>>29114213
Is that outside part next to Eterna a part of the forest? Thought it was just the route, and now I want to check
>>
>>29114241
technically past the cut trees do count as eterna, which was a neat little detail to have
>>
File: Main Forest.png (1MB, 1440x1016px)
Main Forest.png
1MB, 1440x1016px
>>29114213
>>29114329
Well fuck me, you're right. Point to Eterna. We should have that more often.

Though like >>29114166, definitely prefer Pinwheel's. The old train tracks and puddles are great.
>>
>>29114489
I don't know if it counts but Ilex technically had an exterior you could surf to once outside. It's really small and nothing of value though.
>>
>>29112320
Music: Eterna

Layout: Pinwheel
>>
>>29114213
Yes, but combined with the interior, it's better imo. Eterna's second due to the Mansion, and Ilex third if only due to the shrine. Hoenn's the most boring, I feel
>>
File: rule 34.png (250KB, 600x1235px)
rule 34.png
250KB, 600x1235px
>>29114646
>nothing of value

It had the awesome Ace Trainer sisters my man. And was also a really great hidden area rivaling the best.

I mean I definitely count it but I'll probably leave it off. Plus I like having the eyecatch there instead
>>
>>29112320
I don't know about best, maybe Ilex or Pinwheel. Eternia was the worst but that's mainly because I think the tilesets in gen 4 were pretty ugly
>>
>>29112320
Objectively the Unova one, because of all the extra shit there was to find and do, but I think the colors of Ilex Forest set a really good mood, so subjectively that one.
I like Eterna Forest too.
>>
tie between 4 and 5
>>
>>29112320
Pinwheel. I love everything about it, besides the fact it's postgame in BW2. Eterna is okay too.
>>
Ilex on a whole bring the best memories, not only for the things that happen in there (as people already mentioned) but before and after too: the surprise fight against Silver, and when you leave Ilex you're greeted by the day care and the big city of Johto. That entire portion of the game is a wild ride
>>
Eterna a best, probably followed by Pinwheel.
>>
>>29115242
Union Cave to GOldenrod City is one of the best stretches of the franchise
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr9KFynxBpA

This alone confirms Eterna as the best. Pinwheel is second, followed by Viridian.
>>
File: 1462631644321.jpg (57KB, 500x500px)
1462631644321.jpg
57KB, 500x500px
>>29117648
ok, honestly, go fuck yourself.

I didnt remember the track and was smugly ready to dismiss it as not that good, but within 15 seconds I had tears in my eyes.

Like holy shit this is so good and I have been broken by it
>>
Viridian. It's a pain in the dick at the start and the most annoying one post-game.
Although ORAS is giving me ridiculous nostalgic feelings over Petalburg.
All the others were just regular old annoying and avoided as much as possible.
>>
1) Pinwheel is the best
2) Eterna is a very close second
3) Viridian because muh original
3) Ilex tied with Viridian because of nice lore
4) Petalburg sucks
100000th) Viridian 2.0 does not count and should not count. XY were a mistake.
>>
>>29112389
This
>>29112425
and this.
>>
Eterna.

>Best Music
>Strongest Trainers
>Best Wilds

the only thing it is missing is a small chance to encounter Pikachu.
>>
>>29113301
Shroomish
Slakoth
>>
>>29112320

4=5>6>3=2>1
>>
>>29121068
>6 that high up
I'm curious, anon. Why?
>>
Iconic

Memorable

Okay

Forgettable

Okay

Literally who
>>
>>29112320
I love Eterna's music and atmosphere (in Platinum at least), but Pinwheel is by far the most fun to explore. Ilex is cool as well.
>>
>>29121074
well do we look from the asthetical point of view? Gen 4 was awesome with these clouds. Gen 6 was a copy pasta of gen 1 but the asthetics were good. Original Viridian was probably a fucking maze for the first time or beeing as kids, but once you know where to go it is just avoid these guys, walk through the grass... etc.

BUt I made a mistake I would say 4=5>2>6>3>1

not counting remakes.
>>
1) Eterna. Great music, the double battles were fun and the Old Chateau is the cherry on the cupcake.
2) Pinwheel. I haven't played BW in a long time honestly but I remember Pinwheel being pretty good, plus there's a legendary there so that counts for something.
3) Viridian. You can't top the original except for those other two that topped the original.
4) Ilex seems small off your first memory, then you realize there was actually a second half to it after the shrine, then you remember that second half wasn't memorable at all.
5) Santalune because it's just a low rate Viridian clone.
6) Petalburg. It's so bad they couldn't even call it a forest.
>>
>>29121104
Genwunners having shit taste as usual
>>
>>29121104
>Eterna
>Forgettable
>>
>>29112320
>>29112320
Ilex
>>
>>29112320
Eternal really sold the forest vibe for me. Loved the double battle portion of it, too.
>>
>>29120855
Which sucs because having some 3D diorama eyecatches would have been elder god tier. We now have a better idea of how several Johto places look despite the games being years older.

>>29121123
Why would you not count remakes? It's the most up to date version of how a region looks and makes things more fair. Like, HGSS Viridian looks way better than Santalune
>>
>>29112320
They all kinda sucked tbqh fmalamadingdong.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.