[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Doesn't the concept of IVs go against the whole philosophy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1475662405758.jpg (187KB, 500x405px) Image search: [Google]
1475662405758.jpg
187KB, 500x405px
I'm not against IVs per se (though I think the game would be easier if they were removed) but when I try to make a coherent narrative about friendship with pokes in my head while I play the game (because I'm a dork like that) it somehow gets irreparably ruined by the fact that some pokemon are just born better than others. I suppose in that way pokemon is more realistic and more interesting, but while Ash Ketchum is trying to convince viewers that Paul was somehow wrong for releasing a crappy Starly, that is literally what competitive play demands.

Yes, I know they are going to change it with the bottlecaps in the new gen, but somehow this sort of rubs me funny - the whole show is about how with a dedicated trainer and lots of friendship, any pokemon can be strong, but the reality of the video game is the brutal opposite. Useless low IV pokemon are relegated to breeding trash or totally ignored - as if we were some sort of eugenic masterminds with no regard for our pokemon beyond their inborn potential. How can the show deviate so greatly from the reality of what competitive is - not only in terms of IVs, but also the fact that some pokemon were designed badly, and are really not viable.

This has always sort of depressed me.
>>
>>29071683
Oh, and by "easier if they were removed", what I meant to say was, easier to play competitive for those of us who really don't fucking want to bother with breeding.
>>
File: 1476152143370.png (39KB, 321x322px) Image search: [Google]
1476152143370.png
39KB, 321x322px
>>29071683
>>
this is the most autistic thing I've seen all week
>>
Surprise, as u said it's of no concern anymore. They fixed the inconsistency.
>>
Would you stop being friends with someone because they weren't as fast of a runner as your other friends?
>>
>>29071775
In the reality of the game though tis analogy is useless.
>>
>>29071683
Im ok with IV as long Amie efects can be seen in multi.
>>
>>29071683
>Hyper training
Not anymore
>>
>>29071775
More like "Would you be friends with somone who is not needed in your life?"
>>
>>29071803
There's no advantage to having a friend who doesn't run as fast as your other friends, either. What if a robber is chasing you all down and he catches the slower friend, and then steals his car keys and runs the rest of you over with the car?
>>
>>29071724
Yeah I guess sort of. If you are willing to grind to level 100 and jump through whatever hoops are needed for bottlecaps. It is a step in the right direction to give us options though.

I also appreciate what they did by making Pokemon vary so widely among themselves. I truly think it's sort of a cool way for pokemon to differentiate themselves. But what it's created is more like a hitler-ish regime where nothing but the purest of genes cut it. Is there really a point?
>>
honestly the games are really fucking easy, unless you're literally playing actually actually competitively, IVs really don't matter, its a 31 point difference in a stat.
battling randos, your friends, the elite 4, none of it matters. its literally just for competitive. and in that case just hack in a perfect IV ditto and go to town. not that hard.
>>
>>29071850
I know anon, but for many of us competitive is the part that really counts, and we mostly have to leave our bros in the shitter for it which sucks a bit.
>>
>>29071775
Pokemon aren't just your friends, though, they're a team with a goal. If you were just hanging out with your mons then fine whatever, but you utilize them in competitive battle.
Imagine you were a coach for a sports team. You wouldn't pick athletes based on personality or friendship, you pick them based on their physical attributes, ability, and potential.
>>
>>29071775
If I needed the fastest friends possible and also they weren't real, yeah
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.