[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've seen a lot of love, particularly, for Torterra on this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

I've seen a lot of love, particularly, for Torterra on this board. Can someone please explain to me the appeal of it? It's... a big tortoise... with a tree on its back. I don't know about you guys, but that sounds incredibly boring. It lacks the cool appeal of other starters like Sceptile and Greninja, who are fast, slick, and can attack with stylish moves like Leaf Blade and Water Shuriken. Torterra, on the other hand, seems like a Pokémon that was specifically designed to appeal to old people.
>>
I'm old people.
>>
nigga it's a world tree / world turtle

he's majestic as fuck
>>
File: venusaur torterra.jpg (71KB, 736x347px) Image search: [Google]
venusaur torterra.jpg
71KB, 736x347px
>>29063476
Well I liked Venusaur a lot, so, it's easy to also like Torterra.

I liked dinosaurs as a kid. I think tortoises are cool. It's a fucking walking tank but still comfy enough to just chill on top of it. I like Sceptile and Greninja, too. that doesn't mean my taste is limited to one kind of pokemon
>>
>Not wanting to chill under the tree on his shell

THE CHILLEST
>>
You are not very good with words. You expressed nothing in your post.
>>
>>29063476
you know nothing of chinese mythology do you?
>>
>>29063476
>4th gen comes out
>not into penguins and monkeys
>never cared too much about grass type
>get disappointed in starters
>realize most of the pokemon, including legendaries so far look pretty bad imo
>considers quitting pokemon just because I don't like any of the starters but pokemon addiction is too strong
>unfair not to give it a chance
>barely assemble a decently aesthetic team with torterra as my starter
>quickly becomes reliable top bro
>used to sweepers, the bulk is fun
>learns to enjoy 4th gen for game mechanics themselves even if pokemon are a bit ugly
>has a lot of fun with friends
>including abusing torterra's earthquake when double battling them
>torterra becomes both bro and source of nostalgia
>>
>>29063476
It's got this ancient mythological feel to it. It helps, being based off of a common creation story.
>>
>>29063476
DEEPEST LORE
literally.
>>
>>29063476
It's like a grass Gamera, anon.
>>
>>29065400
This right here. I read that crap and was like "what" mid-"""""paragraph""""".
>>
>>29063476
slow and steady just appeals to different people. you probably don't get the appeal behind bonsai trees either. no biggie. to me, greneinja is just a big frog with a ridiculous tongue scarf, so different strokes different folks.
>>
I can't wait for a mega in the inevitable DP remakes.
>95 / 169 / 145 / 75 / 115 / 26 stat spread
>Arena Trap ability
>learns Horn Leech
Muh dick!

>>29063476
Being an ignorant fuck is no excuse for having bad taste.
>>
>>29063476
>what's so cool about a big tortoise with a tree on its back
It's a big tortoise with a tree on its back.
>>
>>29063476
>>29066073
Torterra is a giagantic, ancient tortoise which has survived for millennia, weathering numerous battles as entire ecosystems formed on its stony shell. Its a pretty cool turtle.
>>
>>29063476
>It lacks the cool appeal of other starters like Sceptile and Greninja

Obvious bait is obvious
>>
>>29066048
>that high Attack stat

I just came. An auto-Gravity ability would be cool too; let it hit stuff with EQ instead of relying on Stone Edge for Flying-types.

>>29063476
The appeal is different style. You can compare Greninja and Sceptile to fast-moving infantry. Torterra is more comparable to a tank - slow and awe-inspiring for its size and bulk. It's the sort of majesty people get from observing elephants or whales.
>>
File: 4925654.jpg (25KB, 422x259px) Image search: [Google]
4925654.jpg
25KB, 422x259px
>>29063476
>It's... a big tortoise... with a tree on its back.
And that's awesome.
It's also got some dinosaur in it, I've seen people compare it to ankylosaurs.
>>
>>29063476
Pokémon with minor fanbases like Torterra or Delphox have a niche over here. Also the "muh hipstermon" factor.

And obviously the real fan favourites like Charizard get hate just because they are indeed popular.
>>
Tumblr DPfags have a field day on here, that's why
>>
>>29063476
>2016
>not having a Torterra named A'Tuin
>>
>>29067814
>only tumblr likes flavorful and aesthetically pleasing designs
nigga
>>
>>29063476
>It lacks the cool appeal of other starters like Sceptile and Greninja, who are fast, slick, and can attack with stylish moves like Leaf Blade and Water Shuriken. Torterra, on the other hand, seems like a Pokémon that was specifically designed to appeal to old people.
God damn that was cringy as fuck to read. All that's missing is 'a wicked sense of humor.'

Not every pokemon has to appeal to your specific view of 'coolness'. Pokemon can be intentionally designed to look ugly, cute, bad ass, weak, beautiful, and in this case, majestic. If every pokemon was fast, slick, and had stylish moves then pokemon would be boring.
>>
File: 1451070158623.jpg (51KB, 555x344px) Image search: [Google]
1451070158623.jpg
51KB, 555x344px
>>29067814
>blaming tumblr for things you don't like
Jesus i thought this was just a /co/ thing, when is this tumblr paranoia gonna fucking die
>>
>>29067932
fucking this
the sad part is, most niggas on this site really don't understand this shit, and that saddens me
>>
>>29063476
>It lacks the cool appeal of other starters like Sceptile and Greninja, who are fast, slick, and can attack with stylish moves like Leaf Blade and Water Shuriken.

In case this isn't bait: not everyone is an edgy teenager. It has an aesthetically pleasing design, a nice color scheme and is based off an interesting concept. Pokemon don't need to be sleek to be well designed, some of us can appreciate the bulkier ones too.
>>
Gen 4 was the last time we had a trio of good starters. Fuck, it was the last time we had a single good starter, since SM isn't out yet.
>>
>>29067814
When the fuck has Tumblr been associated with Gen 4? If anything most of them are probably genwunners.

I don't get how you retards don't understand that having a favorite gen doesn't mean you automatically think everything from it is amazing. Gen 4 is one of my least favorite gens to play, yet Torterra is still one of my favorite Pokemon and I think Sinnoh has the best starters overall. This all or nothing mentality is fucking retarded.
>>
>>29068172
>his all or nothing mentality is fucking retarded.
tell that to all of 4chan my dude, we always take everything to the extreme when shit is never that serious.
>>
>>29067824
>>29067824
>>29067824
>>29067824
anon is good anon
>>
>>29068077
t. sinnohfetus shitter
>>
>>29063476
Is this post a joke?
>>
>>29063514
this
>>
>>29063476
You can make just about any Pokemon seem uninteresting and boring if you describe it lamely enough. You can say that just about any Pokemon lacks appeal.
>>
File: 1458771667784.jpg (22KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1458771667784.jpg
22KB, 320x240px
>>29063476
I'm 34, and though i don't have a strong opinion on Sceptile, i can safely say both Greninja and Torterra are perhaps my favorite pokemon designs, or at least my favorite starters.

Greninja is an insanely clever execution of a concept that has vast background in ancient Japanese mythology, performed in a way that perfectly balances exactly the amount of detail it needs to bring that concept home. It is neither bland nor overwhelming; it is ambitious enough to be acknowledgeable, yet with arguably just enough to keep it from going overboard.

As for Torterra, it doesn't need to be flashy in order to catch the eye. I always mentioned that "overdesigned" is a term that can only be applicable when the amount of content far exceeds what is necessary to convey the concept. This is relevant in Torterra's regard because, if you look at it closely, you'll see that it has a lot going on. It being based on the World Turtle means that it benefits from these multiple details. The best example is for one to look only at the top of the shell: It instantly recalls that of a near-fisheye photograph of a vast landscape, with a great, leafy tree in the foreground, a field in the center and a rocky line of tall mountains in the back. All this along with muddy and rocky terrain variations make it feel even livelier, like a neat, exaggerated landscape painting of a planet so small you can see the curvature of it at first glance, but with its its landmarks accentuated in size. When you put it that way, it really does seem like Torterra is carrying a tiny world in its back. It's this extra bit of well-executed ambition that makes Torterra stand out from many pokemon that perform simpler concepts just as good as Torterra does.
>>
>>29069535
OP here. I think I finally understand why people like Torterra now. Thank you for your insightful explanation.
>>
File: 44433791_p3_master1200.jpg (231KB, 960x660px) Image search: [Google]
44433791_p3_master1200.jpg
231KB, 960x660px
>>29069557
Glad i could be of service, OP. It's always nice when people get to see the beyond the surface layers of pokemon whose design goes a bit further than usual. Hope you have a good day, or night or whatever timezone you're on.
>>
File: hehe.jpg (34KB, 820x95px) Image search: [Google]
hehe.jpg
34KB, 820x95px
>>29067750
never forget that there is a literal 13 year old lurking this board
>>
I just really like turtles
>>
>>29069535
Shit, this was a pleasure to read anon
>>
It's a big fucking tortoise with a tree on its back.

Plus I always liked the idea of just chilling under the tree on its back while you traveled.
>>
>>29063476
Ima sucker for grass starters, and DP was my first hype season (didn't have access to the internet before)
I had a pet turtle too, so it wasn't hard for me to get extremely attached to turtwig during the wait for the European release.
Torterra is the first pokémon I brought to level 100, I always came close like 98 or shit like that in previous games, but to day torterra is really the ultimate bro
>>
Torterra is the ultimate comfy pokemon. Journeying around Sinnoh with its chill as fuck jazz soundtrack, lying underneath the tree on Torterra back is the fucking dream
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.