[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> Joe thinks GF are competent enough to scrub the demo when

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_9275.jpg (52KB, 633x518px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9275.jpg
52KB, 633x518px
> Joe thinks GF are competent enough to scrub the demo when they couldn't even keep a handle on Gen 8 starters final evolutions being leaked
> His face when he no longer gets exclusive info
>>
>Gamefreak
>anything to do with a foreign translator leaking something
>>
>Gen 8

If you're going to post a stupid thread like this, don't make yourself look like an idiot in the process.
>>
File: aaaaaaahaha.png (151KB, 499x473px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaaahaha.png
151KB, 499x473px
>Gen 8
>>
Gen 8 starters wtf? What happened to Alola?
>>
File: IMG_9251.jpg (71KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9251.jpg
71KB, 640x640px
>phone poster
>>
I hope they do scrub it clean just to annoy the people that say GF can't do anything right.
>>
Isn't it impossible to fully scrub a demo?
>>
>>29057258
It got scrap
Nintendo realized the fucked up with z moves, mega evolution and the starters so the redoing everything again
>>
>>29057194
>may scrub it properly
>may
He is writing it more like a wish than anything else.

Also
>Gen 8
>>
>>29057286
That makes no sense. Stuff that isn't needed for the demo doesn't need to be in the demo.
Take the Sm4sh demo as an example. It didn't include stuff not used in the demo.
>>
>>29057286
Why would it be? Developers have 100% control over what they create
>>
Is the demo actually obtained at this point?
>>
>>29057194
He's right they're going to scrub the demo. Of the models and nothing else like last time
>>
>>29057194
scrubbing a demo is like playing jenga
>remove one thing you don't want people to datamine
>5 bugs appear
>fix 2 bugs
>3 new bugs appear
>fix all bugs and remove the next thing
>8 bugs appear
>>
This is GF we are talking about....
>>
>>29057346
Yes and no.
Obtained but encrypted.
Won't be decrypted until the demo's public release.
>>
>>29057353
This. It's not impossible to scrub a demo properly, but it takes a lot of work. It's much easier to just wipe the models for things that won't show up and call it a day
>>
>guy mentions something is possible.
>"HAHAHAHA JOE BTFO BTFO BTFO BTFO BTFO BTFO SERIKEKS ON SUICUNE WATCH BTFO BTFO BTFO BTFO BTFO BTFO BTFO!!!!!"
>>
>>29057353
This is what I've heard too. Risky as hell.

Also,models may be removed but we should still have movesets,music,New Pokemon names.

Wasnt Hoopa Unbounds model in the ORAS demo too?
>>
>>29057376
I like the mental image of someone trying hard to work past the encryption to download it after the demo's already released
>>
File: WEBPAGE_20161011_173054.jpg (71KB, 720x519px) Image search: [Google]
WEBPAGE_20161011_173054.jpg
71KB, 720x519px
Ha.
>>
Joe didn't post datamined info for ORAS, right?
>>
>>29057421
Kek
>>
>>29057433
Joe is afraid of Nintendo's massive Cock & Dick
>>
>>29057470
He's been continually BTFO this Gen-hysterical
>>
>>29057194
Quit being so obviously jealous in such a cringe-worthy way.
It's embarrassing.
>>
>>29057485
I think most people have a betting life and career that Joe. Not much to be jealous about really.

Ive owned my own home since 20 while he still lives with his parents...
>>
>>29057433
Not when the datamine first became public.
Comparing how fast all values were up on the site during the actual game release between ORAS and XY it's clear that he had looked at the datamine in detail and made everything ready for launch, which is to be expected.

I don't remember if he acknowledged Hoopa Unbound during the release though.
>>
>>29057194
Sounds more like what he's hoping will happen.
>>
>>29057479
He hasn't though. He has been once, and he said that stuff from 4chan is fake, and he's right. Less that 0.1% of the shit posted here is legit. Come on.
>>
>>29057353
Not only is it risky, but when bugs do appear, they take time to fix. and time is money.
It thusly becomes a question on if its worth the money it'll cost to scrub the data. considering ORAS sold well despite the leaks, its likely they'll decide that the cost of scrubbing would not be worth it.
>>29057404
Not exactly, some sort of sprite (I think something related to the pokedex?) was in. It gave us a rough idea of what it looked like but wasn't all that detailed.
>>
>>29057194
the demo is larger than ORAS's demo

Joe is setting himself up for a BTFO
>>
>>29057579
How is he? He's not saying "They will scrub it". He's saying they MAY scrub it.

Learn English.
>>
>>29057545
This. Yes sometimes Joe is wrong, but I don't understand all the "hurr hurr Joe BTFO" around here.

I don't even use Serebii, but I just don't get all the anons that basically stalk him to show him wrong
>>
>>29057566
>its likely they'll decide that the cost of scrubbing would not be worth it.
For a new gen they will do everything they can to hide leaks. ORAS leaking wasn't a big deal because it's a remake, we already knew the core game so barely anything new leaked
>>
>>29057589
There's a guy here who is so insistent on trashing Joe that he attributes stuff he has said to other, legit, stuff just to make it look like he was wrong over other things.
>>
>>29057579
All the leaks came from text files. Text takes up very little space. It could have been half the size of the ORAS demo and still have the information.
>>
>>29057566
>Not exactly, some sort of sprite (I think something related to the pokedex?) was in. It gave us a rough idea of what it looked like but wasn't all that detailed.
Yep, still shots of the models that was used on the lower screen in the pokedex were included. Not particularly hires but they did their job.
Also the reason why there was so much inaccurate fan art of Hoopa U at the start.
>>
>>29057589
He's always been confident about being right but this gen he's fucked up all the time, so it's fun to poke at him for it
>>
Scrubbing demos is time consuming and risky as all hell, thats why most game devs don't bother to it and just leave everything but maybe models and similar things in.
>>
>>29057545
>>29057589
samefagging this hard
>>
>>29057605
All they need to do is blank out the text, and null the values so everything points at say Pikachu and all base stats are 1 except the Pokémon in the demo.

It's not scrubbing but it's a way around it
>>
>>29057332
Except for they are not? Depending on how shitty their coding is they may be forced to leave too much unrelated stuff so the demo even works
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-11-08-51-03.png (262KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-11-08-51-03.png
262KB, 1080x1920px
>>29057635
Sure thing buddy
>>
>>29057629
>but this gen he's fucked up all the time
He really hasn't though. Yes he was wrong about the starter evos. When else was he wrong to warrant the "fucked up all the time" statement? Are you just talking about him accidentally uploading a blank template when he was updating at Worlds?
>>
>>29057634
This.
At the end of the day, game devs are in fact, a company, and even if they would prefer there to be surprises, they may not be able to justify the costs. Hell, some companies will let things ileak specifically because leaks can actually improve sales due to increased discussion.
>>
I think it's just the way demos that carry over data to the real game are handled. Etrian Odyssey 5' demo was datamined and it had everything in the demo as well, class info, monster info, drops and conditions for special drops, even placeholder data for the DLC before it was announced.
>>
>>29057685
Hell, he only was wrong about the starters because he made a comment back before Mallow was revealed, when no one believed them
>>
Some stuff can be really hard to remove without causing troubles, that's the reason many unused assets can be found in almost every game released, removing them caused bugs so devs decide to just leave it there.

In the case of pokemon, I think at least the starter evolutions will be left for datamining, even if they make a whole new contained area used only for the demo.
>>
>>29057286
Depends on a few things, but yeah.
Even if they swap all slots with Komala to keep us in the dark, we would still get access to the file structure and code.

PKHex and similar apps can start updating with just the demo, and be ready to just pluck the data out of the game.
>>
I really hope they do scrub it because I'd like less info to leak.

But I'm expecting them to not bother.
>>
>>29057512
Living in a Nursing Home doesn't count.
>>
>>29057656
>Implying programmers for one of the world's most successful franchises aren't good enough to scrub their own work.
I know we make fun of Ganefreak here but can you not be fucking serious just for once in your shitty lives?
>>
>>29057982

They didn't for the ORAS demo though.
>>
>>29058007
And because they didn't for that means they never will for all future products?
>>
>>29058007
>>29057982
>>29057656
>>29057332
>>29057286
>>29057194
Depending on how you define "scrub", strictly speaking you're both right.

The best Gamefreak can scrub the demo gives us file formats and data structures before the full game -- which is still super useful because it means immediate datamining on release.

The worst they can scrub it is worse than Oras's demo, and I'm sure you can imagine how that woud look.

Personally, I'm with Joe. I think they'll do a pretty good job of scrubbing it given the way the ORAS demo got destroyed. That said, I don't think they'll do a perfect job -- I think we won't get nearly as much out of the sun/moon demo as we did out of ORAS, but we'll probably get some very interesting stuff regardless.
>>
>>29058007
But not because they can't
>>
File: condescending pig.jpg (10KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
condescending pig.jpg
10KB, 400x400px
>>29057194
>Implying Joe said something was definitely going to happen when you've clearly got a screenshot saying something may happen
>>
>>29058029
Yes.
Why would they do it now that they know that it won't hurt sales? They're a company, it'd be wasted resources to "fix" something that doesn't hurt
>>
>>29057960
3 bedroom house that I live in with my wife and kid actually smart ass. I'm the same age as Joe now too.
>>
>>29057194
>phone poster
>gen 8
>>
>>29058064
>being this naive
>>
Yeah I can't believe the starters from Gen 8 are out already, GF getting super fucking lazy these days.
>>
>>29058183
Lazier than a person fixing a typo! Now that's fucking lazy, I hate GF now.
>>
Why call it data mining if it's reverse engineering?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Examples_of_data_mining
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_engineering
>>
>>29058465
Per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_mining, "The overall goal of the data mining process is to extract information from a data set and transform it into an understandable structure for further use."

Datamining in the context of what might happen with the demo is precisely that -- looking at game archives (data sets), and visualizing that data in ways that are meaningful in the context of Pokemon to gain new information about sun/moon.

Reverse-engineering carries with it connotations that aren't suited for referring the kind of datamining being done, too.

I'd agree that datamining is a form of reverse-engineering in the context of video games, but would say datamining is definitely the correct terminology.
>>
>>29057587
Fuck off, Joe.
>>
>>29057286
It's possible but time intensive to scrub out all of the metadata.

If I were them I'd just put in fake metadata for like 500 new pokemon with completely random type information and mix them in with the real stuff so dataminers will find all of this shit the get btfo when it's not in the real game.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_n327sfUDU01r3x7o0.jpg (10KB, 320x220px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_n327sfUDU01r3x7o0.jpg
10KB, 320x220px
>>29057400
Kekked at "suicune watch"
>>
>>29058709
>Time insensitive to turn all values into a 0 or a 1
>Not time insensitive to put in hundreds of fake bits of data

Ok
>>
>>29058796
>Demo starts booting.
>Demo asks for a specific value that is on the demo.
>That value is crossreferences 12 entries not in the demo, that are now 0.
>Demo crashes.
>>
>>29057665
>Phone posting this hard
>>
>>29057665
>2016
> not using a dark theme
>>
>>29057194
>scrub
What, with like a cloth or something?
>>
>>29058066
>2016
>affording property
Deed or it didn't happen.
>>
>>29058066
Sure thing bud, we all believe you :^)

How about you go spend time with that family of yours instead of creepily obsessing over the tweets of a videogame fansite owner?
>>
>>29057353
What if the demo was coded separately from S/M?
>>
>>29059520
That would be incredibly stupid, and poor design philosophy.
>>
>>29059520
It would stink of colonial marines.
>>
>>29059560
Why? It's not like they'd have to make all the assets again.
>>
>>29057194
He thinks good things will happen if he keeps being a denialfag about everything. I remember when Joe used to be optimistic about everything.
>>
>>29058709
I'd even spend a few hours making an app that would generate all required information. Its not a big deal even for a junior programmer like me.
>>
>>29059585
You're suggesting they implement code twice.

That's just unnecessary work.

And if you meant "they copied over the code but not the assets", congratulations, now you have code that refers to a bunch of assets that don't exist and crashes.

Plus if you write up a demo separately from your main game you could get engine desynchronizations/bugs in the demo but not the full game or vice-versa.

The only sane way to do things would be to complete your game, make a copy of it, and edit it down to a demo.
>>
>>29059616
He was optimistic about Ash-Greninja being in and he was right.
>>
>>29059627
I meant code the basic demo structure, and then copy over relevant code and assets from the main game to fill in the blanks.

A tiny demo wouldn't be hard to debug and QA.
>>
Okay, but more pathetic than Joe are people who come on 4chan to defend him.
>>
>>29059672
The way pokemon's engine works (xy_system, and all previous revisions, and s/m appears to use upgraded xy_system) doesn't support that model.

The code basically loads in maps/scripts, and the map's script assets define what goes on in the game.

Copying over the "relevant" code doesn't make sense, because you can't have a pokemon game without the full script engine parser, at which point you need full asset dependencies prior to scrubbing down.
>>
What if the demo is just a recorded video with choices?
>>
>>29059684
>implying that a reasonable person pointing out that trashing him for no reason is idiotic is the same as being "a person who comes onto 4chan to defend him"
Seriously, I doubt that most of the posters above are ardent serebii fans, they just have common sense.
>>
>>29057400
Stay mad, Joe.

Also, please leave. You're making yourself look bad.
>>
File: 3938.jpg (126KB, 600x441px) Image search: [Google]
3938.jpg
126KB, 600x441px
>>29057194
>gen 8 starters
>he still believes Roothoot and friends are real
We already have an Owl starter, you fucking retard.
>>
File: IMG_1754.jpg (79KB, 522x758px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1754.jpg
79KB, 522x758px
>>29059706
>>
>>29059717
kys pomf
>>
if removing a file is really that hard/ for example if your code access file 64 of a garc file for something and it would be too much work to go through and change it all to account for the missing files then just replace the unused files with empty or zeroed out files.
>>
>>29059697
Alright, you clearly know more about this than I do. Now I'm hyped for the datamine.
>>
>>29059697
I don't understand programming very well, but isn't that a stupid way to do it?
Say if GF decided to do a massive project that would take the whole team 5 years to complete, then they wouldn't be able to shit out a demo just to keep people still hooked 3/4th down the completion.
>>
>>29059706
So... A videogame?
>>
>>29059745
I wouldn't get too hyped, either, though -- as I said in >>29058048 I do believe they'll do a pretty good job of scrubbing it.

>>29059752
I'm describing the way GF's system works, not defending it. Though I don't think you're correct there, either. Not sure.
>>
Why are there so many Serebii apologists? I have nothing against Joe but his fanboys are really obnoxious, literally can't stop sucking him up.
>>
>>29059712
Still no one wastes this much time defending a faggot you supposedly don't really care for.
>>
>>29059801
>OMG JOE SAID THING HAHAHAH BTFO
>but he didn't actually say that, why are you going out of your way to pick on him?
>LOLOLO JOE APOLOGIST KEEP SUCKING THAT SEREBII COCK
>>
>>29059505
/thread
>>
Why does /vP/ have such a huge hate-boner for Joe?
>>
>>29059758
kek
>>
>>29060675
Because he's a piece of shit.
>>
>>29060675
The more popular something is, the more hate it generates.
By being the owner of the most popular fansite, he in turn gets plenty of hate, some warranted, some not.
>>
>>29060675
Not even /vp/ fully knows.
>>
>>29057286
no but itd be pretty difficult in case something is referenced
>>
why would GF give a fuck about datamining? they already have everyone hooked with their marketing strategy. Their job is done at this point.

What is there to be afraid of? Like 5 people jumping ship after they blow an aneurysm after the datamine? please
>>
>>29060675
VP doesn't for the most part. There's just one guy constantly spreading shit, posting everything Joe has done wrong in the last 15 years, and when he runs out, he posts altered stuff to make it look like he's been wrong
>>
>>29061055
Yep, datamining has been going on for years and game devs have done the combined sum of fuck all to stop it. You know why? Because devs don't want to spend time and money and risk breaking their game just to appease a handful of autists who are afraid of being spoiled.

If datamining actually had some sort of negative effect on a games bottom line then games devs and publishers would put more effort in stopping it, the fact that they haven't bothered to even try to stop it should tell you something.
>>
>>29060601
Basically this.
>>
>>29060675

His fans are more annoying than Joe himself
>>
>>29057194
With a proper system landscape you could make e.g. four systems: dev, prod-test, demo-test, demo, prod

You can develop new features in dev, then transport them to test and eventually to the other systems. So, if you create a map or a 3d model, you have to keep care to deploy it only to prod-test and prod, but not to demo-test and demo. This is much effort, but it IS possible.
>>
>>29057286
It's not impossible but very time consuming if you build it off of the game itself.
>>
>>29060675

he's a total tool and kept wrong info on stuff on his sites for ages after it was confirmed how stuff worked and back in gen 5 he blatantly gave away he was playing not totally cracked Rom copy of black or white because it still had the anti-piracy that prevented leveling from happening and he thought it was a actual mechanic.

he also is infamous for stating the felt switching in battle was the most broken mechanic a vs battle.
>>
oh yeah and back when some jackass was hacking several forums using vBulletin software his got nailed and instead of going to a more secure software he merely upgraded and according to the hacker could had just gotten in again as the version Serebii updated too still had the vulnerability the hacker used.
Thread posts: 118
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.