[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why does /vp/ hate him? He's a quadrupedal masculine pokemon.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 25

File: sammurot.png (50KB, 286x319px) Image search: [Google]
sammurot.png
50KB, 286x319px
why does /vp/ hate him? He's a quadrupedal masculine pokemon. The opposite of Popplio's third evolution.

Do you guys just hate sea doggos?
>>
It's better than Delphox at least
>>
File: 1472322266967 (2).png (79KB, 377x438px) Image search: [Google]
1472322266967 (2).png
79KB, 377x438px
But, OP, I don't hate him...
>>
>>29024969
I like him, /vp/ isn't one person
>>
i didn't like him till i gave him a try
he's a fun mon to use
>>
>>29024969
>evolution line is bipedal, bipedal, then abruptly quadrupedal
>for some reason GF thought it was a good idea to have a quadrupedal WEAPON-WIELDING mon
It looks awkward all around. There's a pretty good reason why a lot of people on /vp/ shit on it. It's nothing special battle-wise either. Basically an inferior Feraligatr who is already a (somewhat) inferior Gyarados.
>>
File: muh oc.png (33KB, 172x232px) Image search: [Google]
muh oc.png
33KB, 172x232px
>tfw I love samurott but its movepool is shit and barely usable even ingame
>>
>>29024969
His design only makes sense with 3d animations. Some important details are left ambiguous with just sprites.

If he was a Gen6 starter, maybe people would like him more.
>>
>>29024969
Should've been Water/Fighting honestly. The fact that this thing doesn't get Sacred Sword is a crime. It and Gallade.
>>
>>29025026
>Feraligatr
>Inferior to Gyarados
But Anon, it has Sheer Force
>>
>>29025036
What? It has good movepool. I used this in BW
>Surf
>Ice Beam
>Grass Knot
>Megahorn
>>
>>29025054
I still think it looks bad regardless of that animation.
>>29025065
Sheer Force helps differentiate it but it's still ultimately an inferior Gyarados. Gyarados has better overall stats, Intimidate, and a mega as well. It Feraligatr had 10 less SpAtk and 10 more speed then you'd have a real reason to use it over Gyarados.
>>
>>29024969
Dual wields swords and yet can't learn Sacred Sword or Shell Smash
Only flaw right there.
>>
>>29025036
>Superpower
>Encore
>Swords Dance
>Aqua Jet
>>
>>29024969
I used one in White 2 and I was heavily disappointed. Mixed offenses are just terrible if your other stats are this bad. Movepool is ok but it can't make up for the stat distribution.
Design-wise it's kinda so-so. I wish the legs looked a bit more sturdy and not like fins, so it'd look like it can actually carry its weight and not drop onto its belly any second and the tail was an actual tail instead of a fish-tail.
>>
>>29025124
Why do people keep asking to give Samurott Shell Smash? Everything that learns Shell Smash has some kind of armor that encompasses their body beyond Huntail and Gorebyss, both of which can't even learn the move through leveling up and must retain it upon evolving from Clamperl.

The only starter who could feasibly get Shell Smash is Blastoise. Samurott in no way should get that move.
>>
>Pure water, not water/fighting
>Sudden change to quadruped when line was previously bipedal
>Abrupt change in animal the line is based on (Otter->Otter->Sea Lion)
>Helmet shell looks weird
>Legs look weird
>Meh stats
>Mediocre at best abilities

that's why i dislike it, at least.
>>
>>29025246
He gets it
>>
>>29025246
>Quadruped meme

I still blame this on the sprites. With more animation, you'd see that the quadruped thing is just a resting thing. He couldn't use his swords if he were completely quadruped.

But yes it is odd for an upright pokemon to then start pawing around on all fours.
>>
>>29025209
>Samurott in no way should get that move.
Then how do you explain this? Its shells are very breakable. It was literally DESIGNED to use this move.
>>
>>29024969
but I love him OP
>>
>>29025334
Because it doesn't match the other Pokemon who get it. They all have armor that pretty much encompasses their body. Samurott does not. If what you were saying was the case then Blastoise, Chesnaught, and Samurott would all get it. Probably some other mons as well could likely get it, but they don't because that isn't the point.

I'll gladly eat my own words if Gamefreak ever does give Samurott and the others Shell Smash but as it stands now it makes no sense thematically and instead looks more like a desperate attempt to redeem an already shitty Pokemon.
>>
What a piece of shit
>>
>>29024969
I hate him because he's ugly as sin. End of discussion.
>>
File: samurott.jpg (191KB, 900x695px) Image search: [Google]
samurott.jpg
191KB, 900x695px
>>29025330
>But yes it is odd for an upright pokemon to then start pawing around on all fours.
Maybe its structured for intense underwater combat?
>More leg capacity to swim
>Very adept at using it's forelimbs like arms
Might be a scary hunter in sea.
>>
File: Dewott & Hilda.jpg (118KB, 600x660px) Image search: [Google]
Dewott & Hilda.jpg
118KB, 600x660px
>>29025364
Well the Hidden Ability of the Wotter line is Shell Armor. I would at least say that they have that in their favor over the other two.
>>
>>29025443
Too bad most battles don't take place over the open sea so he looks terrible as a result.
>>
>>29025474
A lot of Pokemon that don't learn Shell Smash have either Battle Armor or Shell Armor as their ability. So no, that doesn't give it a point in its favor.
>>
File: like i'm wearing nothing at all.jpg (640KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
like i'm wearing nothing at all.jpg
640KB, 2048x1536px
Honestly if Samurott looked like this more often in sprites I think he would be a lot more popular.
>>
File: Goldeen.gif (465KB, 400x303px) Image search: [Google]
Goldeen.gif
465KB, 400x303px
>>29025506
Yet fish pokemon on land get a pass?
>>
>>29025551
If you're asking whether or not he's popular with furries, I'm pretty sure he is in some way. Or she. Whatever.
>>29025557
The game makes most fishmon float so yeah, they do. Unless you want me to reference the anime or something in which case they still (most of the time) put fishmon in the water.
>>
>>29025607
I just mean popular in general; I have a feeling with the furry crowd Emboar will remain king.
>>
>>29024969
>quadrupedal
>masculine
And there you have it. Those are things a good Pokemon does not make.

That doesn't make the "pop star Pokemon" any less cancer.
>>
>>29025036
>implying

Samurott is pretty damn solid in-game. Of course in-game is easy, but that's an outright lie right there. STAB Surf takes care of most of it, and you can get ice-beam, re-learn Megahorn and other cool TMs. Also it has enough firepower from both sides so you can give it physical and special moves
>>
>>29025364
>makes no sense

Shell Smash raises Attack and Spa and SPeed in exhange for defenses. Samurott has a shell armor. It's literally one of the pokémon who make the most sense to get shell smash. He discards the armor for greater power in exchange for diminished defenses
>>
File: smt2.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
smt2.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>29024969
>quadrupedal
>>
File: smt.gif (616KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
smt.gif
616KB, 500x281px
>>
>>29025958
See >>29025525
The post you quoted also has my original point in that Samurott doesn't match the other mon who get the move. It doesn't make sense and there are even other Pokemon with fucking shells who don't get Shell Smash.

When taking into account the other Pokemon who learn Shell Smash and the Pokemon with the ability Shell Armor and Battle Armor who DON'T get Shell Smash, it makes perfect sense that Samurott doesn't learn the move. But please, keep saying that GF should give Samurott Shell Smash. I'm completely willing to admit I'm wrong when GF actually gives him Shell Smash.
>>29026030
>>29026050
I like how these only look good when you don't take into account Samurott's other half.
>>
File: 6.jpg (35KB, 390x390px) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
35KB, 390x390px
I like him
>>
File: smt.gif (3MB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
smt.gif
3MB, 512x288px
>>29026107
yeah
>>
It's just that dewott looked pretty great and they could have kept going with the whole bipedal thing but they decided to go with this instead
>>
I like it, I just have several issues with it.

>Should've been Water/Fighting
>Only good Ingame, pretty mediocre competitively
>Lackluster movepool
>Tries to be a mixed attacker, but can't quite pull it off
>Shell Armor isn't that great for an offensive Pokemon
>tfw Shell Armor but no Shell Smash

I still use it and still like it, arguably my favorite Starter(shit taste, I'm aware, mostly neutral to other starters). It's just wasted potential as many say on /vp/.
>>
>>29026107
But would access to Shell Smash help Samurott out? I'd say yes.
>>
>>29024969

Why wasn't it Water/Fighting? It met the whole fighting-type aesthetic far better then Emboar did. And being Quadrapedal is no bar when you consider Keledo came out the same generation with a similar-looking sword/horn.
>>
>>29026919
Access to Shell Smash would help anything that's offensively oriented.
>>
Will it ever get buffed though? The Oshawott line seems to be rather popular among the Starters in Japan. Overall ranked 6th or so. Maybe it will.
>>
>>29025036
The fucker was my PWT champions lead

Aqua jet ice beam Megahorn Stab water hits everything very nicely there
>>
>>29026985
Well I think that the reason why it isn't is because fighting types are all about a type of hand-to-hand combat. Samurott uses a tool.
>>
>>29025557
Just wait for Popmaid
>>
>>29024969
>tfw you like all the gen 5 starters
They get a lot of undeserved hate desu
>>
File: cute.png (912KB, 800x900px) Image search: [Google]
cute.png
912KB, 800x900px
>>29024969
But I don't, I think it cute.
>>
Samurott is the best from gen 5, and ranks in the top five overall.
>>
>>29027281
The Unova starters just suffer from not meeting immensely high expectations. To the point that seemed that GF went the opposite of what fans wanted from them.
>>
>>29027159

The trouble is, the same generation gave us Keledo, a fighting type without any hands at all, and with a signature move that is both Fighting-type and explicitly involves the use of a sword.
>>
File: sssssssssssssssss.gif (110KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
sssssssssssssssss.gif
110KB, 320x240px
>>29027451
I dont mind the snake or the samurai otter, but the pig, ugh. Something seem so off about the pig.
>>
>>29027281
In the west it seem to be the case. In Japan, Gen 2 gets the hate, or rather they are less popular.
>>
>>29027703
>base a game on historical japan
>japan hate it
>base a game on New York
>USA hate it
Sounds about right
>>
File: samurott flailing.gif (2MB, 500x256px) Image search: [Google]
samurott flailing.gif
2MB, 500x256px
>>29026050

I like how you cut out the fact that Samurott looks like a flailing inept retard in that scene.
>>
>>29024969
they only hate him because it doesn't resemble its prevos
>>
>>29027824
no
>>
>>29024969
I don't hate a single Pokemon, but Samurott is too awkward. The leghandthings and the position makes me think he'll just slide and fall to his stomach. Go bipedal, or quadrupedal, not this halfway-through thing
>>
File: Unova Starters 5.jpg (175KB, 736x933px) Image search: [Google]
Unova Starters 5.jpg
175KB, 736x933px
>>29027703
Japan has some god tier taste. Gen 2 had the most bland starters in the franchise, whereas the west prefers simplicity and not designs that try to be interesting.
>>29027824
Just because Samurott doesn't stand up 100% of time doesn't mean its unable use its swords ya know.
>>
>>29024969
It's my favorite starter desu
>>
>>29027983
>Gen 2 had the most bland starters in the franchise
That is not how you spell Sinnoh.
>>
File: samurott.jpg (302KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
samurott.jpg
302KB, 1440x900px
>>29024969
I don't hate Samurott. In fact, I think the glorious Samuria-otter saved its otherwise crappy and unmemorable line, and is by far the best Unova starter.
>>
>>29027703
There's an entire day designated towards Typhlosion in Japan.
>>
>>29028045
Bland isn't bad anon. Typhlosion's line is objectively blander than every other starter.
Piplup transitions to Prince and Emperor, Charizard gains wings, etc. Typhlosion just gets bigger
And before you call that a meme, it's literally the truth. It's not bad, just bland, and I like it that way
>>
>>29027983
Can you at least admit that it looks retarded as fuck in that battle?
>>
File: seawarrior.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
seawarrior.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>29028519
Why exactly do you have problems with an aquatic warrior's performance on land?
>>
>>29025054
His design makes even less fucking sense in 3D. You can clearly see his sword manifesting out of nowhere, because of course it doesn't fit in those little shells.

He's also standing still when he swipes, since there is no way he could move properly as a quadruped while weilding it. The whole concept is just ass backwards and that's why he's bad.
>>
>>29029663
Would it be better or worse if he used the horn on his helmet instead of swords?

I was going off the idea that his sprites imply that he uses the horn on his helmet for those attacks, but the "canon" is the stupid shoulder swords, and that discrepancy was bad.
>>
>>29025334
The whole point of Shell Smash is that it breaks the shell that normally restricts the Pokemon's movement. Samurott's shells aren't big enough to do that, they don't even cover its body.

Gorebyss only gets it as a technicality from Clamperl. None of Samurott's stages have a shell prominent enough to give a major boost when broken.
>>
File: sif-the-great-grey-wolf-large.jpg (33KB, 600x328px) Image search: [Google]
sif-the-great-grey-wolf-large.jpg
33KB, 600x328px
>>29029711
It should be the horn in both animations and canon. Handheld swords make no sense with its anatomy.

I would even accept pic related. In fact it would be tremendously more badass.
>>
>>29029799
Okay. As far as opinions, I think I agree with you.
>>
>>29029711
Well it does have Megahorn, so I'm guessing it uses both.
>>
File: 1460742294161.png (102KB, 355x225px) Image search: [Google]
1460742294161.png
102KB, 355x225px
>>29029711
>>29029799
You guys do realize the swords are just differently shaped shells right? They can also work as powerful shields. Using the helmet as a sword would just make it vulnerable to most attacks. You guy are putting too much emphasis on the swordfighting thing.
>>
>>29029756
Shell Smash Shelgon :^)
>>
>>29029901
That would thematically work but it would be broken. Just like shell smash blastoise. Or dragon dance garchomp, shift gear metagross, nasty plot gengar, etc.

>>29029900
You realize the swords make no fucking sense on its body regardless of what they're made of, right?

The horn would actually be better defensively because it's attached to the helmet. It's like a spiked buckler which is the tightest shit ever.
>>
>>29029992
>You realize the swords make no fucking sense on its body regardless of what they're made of, right?
Its literally an underwater sword fighter for crying out loud. Its combat potential in conjunction with it's blades would thrive in the water for being a quadruped that is adept at using it's hands. On land it is capable of standing and leaping to deliver heavy blows. Not sword fighting like a person on land is a non issue when it has underwater as an option.
>The horn would actually be better defensively because it's attached to the helmet. It's like a spiked buckler which is the tightest shit ever.
Enjoy getting your exposed back,chest, and lower neck open for a critical hits.
>>
>>29025036
Gen V was a dark time for starters. Its really fucking bad that Samurott was probably the best for in game. The probably wouldn't be nearly as hated if they were so close to unplayable even in game.
>>
>>29024969
As a Pokemon, Samurott is awesome.

As the final form of Oshawott, Samurott is retarded.
>>
>>29030487
A seal uses all of its limbs to swim. The swords would be hindrance underwater as well. The horn would be a better weapon underwater and on land, especially since seals mainly bite so they have good neck and head control.

Its neck and chest would be LESS exposed if it's shielding with a lowered head you imbecile. How the fuck would it protect its back with the swords? It would have a harder time turning around.

The swords are idiotic no matter how you look at it, even with your contrived rationale. Also none of this addresses the swords straight up not fitting on its body.
>>
>>29024969
I love Samurrott. Many do. Only whiny faggots here endlessly complain about it and are just nitpicking.
>>
>>29030535
Isn't that literally what OP was crying about?
>hates cute otter turns into manly quadruped
>hates cute seal turns into cute mermaid seal
So which is it? Do you hate the deviant or do you hate the one "that just gets bigger"?
>>
>>29025036
>has shells
>has shells that wouldn't kill it if they were removed
>ha shells that would impede its movement
>DOES NOT
>LEARN
>SHELL
>SMASH

Explain this to me.
>>
>>29030656
>>ha shells that would impede its movement

Not enough to justify the massive boost that shell smash entails. We went over this.

>>29029756
>>
>>29030636
Pretty sure it's neither.
I like popplio3
I hate samurott because it ruined a potentially cool looking line
Dewott is a really good design and they were going down the right path.. then suddenly retarded waterdog with a shell on it's head
Dewott in no way looks like it should turn into that other than the fact that they're both aquatic mammals
>>
>>29030701
>barbaracle
>>
>>29030732
Barbaracle's limbs are encased in its shell. Of course smashing it would matter.

Samurott only wears small shells as armor.
>>
>>29030586
>A seal uses all of its limbs to swim.
If Samurott is a seal when why does it have leg joints when seals don't even have legs and just feet?
>>
>looks like shit.
>supposed to be a samurai but looks absolutely nothing like it.
>stat spread, typing, etc is entirely unremarkable. Was a dead weight against the E4.

this thing truly is a hunk of junk
>>
>>29028073
>that long horn
>that beard
W-why don't they look stupid? They're supposed to look stupid! Don't make me change my mind to liking this pokemon!
>>
>>29024969
My favourite starter, I love all the oshawot line, even with the samurott jump
>>
>>29030888
Everything that swims uses all of its limbs to swim.
>>
It's a clusterfuck of halfassed ideas.
>>
>>29024969
I do, in fact, like Samurott. Not top three or anything, but I still do.

I just wish they don't make it look so incredibly awkward.

I mean, it's like a fully-armored samurai trying to fight on all fours. Fucking dumb is what it is..
>>
>>29031449
> it's like a fully-armored samurai trying to fight on all fours. Fucking dumb is what it is
this. it took me until last yearish to even warm up to the designs for samurott and serperior
>>
>>29030656
this has been addressed so many times that I genuinely believe people who do not understand the reasoning behind it are retarded
>>
>>29030764
Most barnacles would die if they smashed their shells.
>>
>>29032905
I guess he's not most.
>>
>>29032905
>turtles and bivalves wouldn't die, or be seriously injured if they smashed their shells
>>
He's my favorite Pokemon though
>>
>>29033336
>>29032905
Continuing on this logic, Samurott should have Shell Smash. His shell isn't a critical part of him.
Like Dwebble and Crustle too.
>>
>>29033365
It's been stated multiple times why he doesn't get it. Seriously nigga read the thread

If any starter is getting Shell Smash it's Blastoise because genwun pandering and because it has a fucking shell and not some dinky ornaments on its body.
>>
>>29025036
way better in game story mode than serperior and the fire fighting pig is stupid
>>
>>29033365
That's not a criterion for shell smash you massive retard.
>>
File: crash1.jpg (38KB, 732x374px) Image search: [Google]
crash1.jpg
38KB, 732x374px
>>29024969

Popplio's reminds me of a beautiful mermaid which reminds me of the little mermaid which reminds me of Disney World which reminds me of Florida wich reminds me of swamps wich reminds me of frogs, so Popplio IS frog

Samuroth remids me of Ikkakumon wich reminds me of sea world wich reminds me of San Diego which reminds me of PSA flight 182 crash.

and it was horrible, so... I don't like to think about it!
>>
>>29024969
Because it's the worst design in Pokemon full stop.
>>
>>29033623
That's not Lucario.
>>
>>29033641
Lucario can at least fight properly, retard
Thread posts: 110
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.