[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I refuse to believe in six days it'll be 3 years since this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

File: PokemonXBoxart.jpg (23KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
PokemonXBoxart.jpg
23KB, 250x250px
I refuse to believe in six days it'll be 3 years since this gen started. Time fucking flies.

In memory of the first 3D mainline Pokemon game, Gen VI, let's talk about what things it did right, and what GenVII seems to be improving on.
>>
L=A reintroduced.
3D.
Super Training

That's all I got
>>
File: image.jpg (73KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73KB, 500x500px
>EV training and IV breeding made easier
>SM letting you make imperfect IV rejects usable

More people are getting into competitive battles hopefully.
>>
>>28958658
>let's talk about what things it did right
Breeding.
Being able to trade and battle without a Pokemon center.
Randomly interacting with other players.
Nearly every hidden ability released.
Hordes.
Flying to routes.
Moving the "Organize Pokemon" to the top of the menu.

Seems like only yesterday XY came out, and we're going to have a whole lot more toys to play with in just a month.
>>
Gen 6 is undoubtedly the worst fucking gen and movement to 3D models was overall a mistake, but I do like the personality everything has in amie.

The improvements in music tech was handled clumsily at first, a lot of XY's music feels boring as fuck and felt like they thought improve quality was a substitute for substance. Every fucking battle theme is underwhelming. Thet might have messed up a bit on ORAS but using their new tech on something with their old style produced probably the best overall soundtrack on the series.

Mechanical improvements were overall good as well, fairy is an interesting type and buffed many old interesting but underwhelming pokemon, I thought megas were an awful idea at first but like them now, and all the convenience options like destiny knot and hidden ability breeding to make the more esoteric aspects more accessible without really taking away from them. At the same time, it was bad they they applied this simplification to the overall games which needed no such thing, resulting in a diluted and downright boring gameplay experience.

Fuck XY's dialogue especially, I don't know what the fuck they were trying to accomplish by making your """""friends"""""" speak like fucking 5 year olds. I'm just glad it's over and we'll be keeping fairies and megas while moving on from the games themselves.
>>
>>28958711
If it was just Shauna and Serena/Calem then I wouldn't mind. I get irrationally mad when I see that fat fuck Tierno and coconut head.
>>
>>28958658
In terms of X and Y themselves? Effectively removing most of the need for HMs. Cut is literally missable, you're given surf alongside a surfer that you can box immediately afterward because you only need it for one route. Strength is optional. Waterfall I don't remember, but I feel like it's optional too.

then the remakes undid all that because remakes, but added flight to routes instead of just cities, and soaring seems to be the harbinger of pokeride, and the final death of HMs.
>>
The northern route music was good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3XEUx4-76Y
>>
File: itsaflyingtype.png (1MB, 3325x2203px) Image search: [Google]
itsaflyingtype.png
1MB, 3325x2203px
member Sylveon?
>>
>>28958658
Aye, time flies.

>what things it did right
1. I loved 3d models and I still think most of them look good.
2. PSS is a good improvement for social aspect of Pokemon games (although I preferr having a building for GTS). Also, Vivillon forms trading and Friend Safari were the shit.
3. ORAS HUGELY improved characters and made Hoenn more interesting place.
4. Making competitive Pokemon is far easier. Breeding 5 IV Pokemon is not a problem with 6 IV Ditto thanks to new Destiny Knot, EV training is faster thanks to Horde Battles, levelling is quicker thanks to Blissey bases.
Also, some music in XY is amazing. Laverre, Jubilife remake, Route 16, Lysandre battle, Xerneas/Yveltal battle and few others.

>what GenVII seems to be improving on
GF seems to be expanding upon mini-games which is good because I got bored from Head It and Berry Picker (Tile Puzzle is bullshit). Despite how detrimental for my screen Pokeathlon was, I wish for something similar.

>>28958711
>OP makes a thread about good aspects of 6th gen
>responding anon opens up with 'gen 6 is undoubtedly the worst fucking gen'
Go sperg in other threads.
>>
>>28958739
Only Serena/Calem were good. At least Tierno was easy to ignore despite being nearly impossible for you to lose to him as a """pokedex expert""", which would also have represented a good opportunity to hint out rare pokemon, he could have been a guy who tips you off on where to find strong rare stuff like Bagon.

I don't know what the fuck they were thinking with Tierno, like with most of XY. What is he there to be?

Shauna's probably the worst offender. She's constantly shoved at you no matter how hard you try to ignore her, and probably the stupidest part is when you're storming the Flare base with your rival, another competent trainer, and she bursts in and insists on joing you. Why? I quote literally
>B-UT FRIENDS SHOULD STICK TOGETHER!!

And then she's mentioned before she likes at puzzles, and the door to the box legend is locked by a puzzle. So instead of GF letting her show an ounce of competence, she proceeds to use clemont's magic device to solve it instead.

Why? Did they really want to make the player feel this super special?

>>28958758
Honestly I like the idea of HMs, using your Pokemon to help you explore the region is immersive. At the same time, I wish they weren't shit moves. Best compromise IMO would be that you only need the HM and a Pokemon capable of learning it in order to use it on the field, so they don't actually have to learn it. Part of why Kalos felt so boring was that not route represented an obstacle in the same way Mt. Coronet, Twist/Reversal Mountain or Route 119 did.
>>
>>28958658
Gens I, II, and V each lasted 3 years. Gens III and IV were the only ones to last 4 years.
>>
>>28958841
I specifically praised mechanical improvements and stated what was good and where they went too far. did I hurt your feelings somehow?
>>
>>28958883
A good chunk of your post (more than half of it, in fact) is undoubtedly negative in a thread which focuses on positives.
Taunting me isn't really helping your case and I won't answer to your further replies since I don't want to derail the thread.
>>
I liked that they added wonder trading and a way to see ev spreads
>>
>>28958850
Trevor should have at least had tons of rares, and Tierno should have been good at contests, which should have been in Gen VI.
>>
>>28958658
Games have been 3D since gen 4 though. Unless you mean battles.
>>
>>28958962
There seems to be a greater emphasis on adventure in SM, and Hau and Lillie don't seem nearly as annoying as the XY cast, so there's that. Maybe GF having a longer development time helped them out since they didn't have to learn how to work with a completely new engine, so they could focus more on the game.

Gen 6 also had a fucking tiny amount of new Pokemon, but at the same time they're probably the best on average. I like gen 5 and Garbodor/Ice Cream even but there's no filler fucking trash like the monkeys here.

>>28958951
What about it? Am I supposed to dicksuck gen6 here? It's not meaningful if I just said I liked fairies and megas the approach they had to simplifying fame aspects without also expanding on why that also went wrong and how I hope SM changes that. Much like your post, actually.
>>
>>28959087
Whoops, top part meant for
>>28958982
>>
I really liked Super Training. It let me not get super autistic that my main team had shitty EVs. Plus the EV reset bag existed which meant NO MORE LOOKING FOR FUCKING BUTTLOADS OF BERRIES JUST TO REDUCES EVS FUCK THAT SHIT
>>
>>28958676
>Customization
>Finding a good way to remarket, fix, and reuse older Pokemon while making them feel new
>All around good addition of Pokemon with very few shit designs
>Vastly improved online infrastructure and interactions with a lot of great ideas such as Wonder Trade, O-Parts, and the Friend Safari.
>L=A reintroduced
>Supertraining

Gen VI has it's flaws but it still did quite a bit of good.
>>
>>28959237
>O-Parts
I'm guessing you meant powers. Anyway those were a gen 5 thing.
>>
>>28959344
I did. I mix it up all the time for some reason.
>>
File: eeveeishappy.gif (582KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
eeveeishappy.gif
582KB, 500x334px
>>28959149
word
Anyway, everyone, explain again why so many people think that 3D models were a mistake.
I know, the colors may seem a bit washed out on the textures, but the models alone are so much better.
It's only a minor, yet, cosmetic thing, but stuff like your mon turning its head towards you at the start of battle, or Pokemon Amie in its entirety, wouldn't that be impossible with sprites?

They HAD to take the 3D route, sooner or later, wouldn't they? It gives them so much more life, in my opinion, animation-wise.
>>
>>28959410
For most people the problem is really that they're so static in battle. Which is to be expected because these are turn based games. Despite that I do agree. They could use more spark in battle.

The models themselves are perfect.
>>
>>28959410
Personally I'm not upset that we got models. I'm upset that a lot of the models don't do the pokemon justice. Sharpedo's model for instance turns him into a fucking balloon animal, and pokemon like Gengar and Clefairy were similarly abused with the inflation pump.

Still, most pokemon got good models, and a lot of them benefited massively from the change to 3D. Like all changes, it was a mix of good and bad.
>>
>>28959472
>>28959561
I see.
It never came to me that they are too "static" in battle, but I see the problem.
So, the majority of people blasting "3D was a mistake" are only butthurt that their bromon looks weird now? Thats sad, because they need to advance, sooner or later.

As for the static animations, I think with stuff like Z-Moves or the new Amie, they already went the right way to give them more life.
>>
>>28959652
>advance
Why do you insist on 3D being an 'advance'? It's pretty clear by now that 3D modeling has sucked a lot of GF's resources from other parts of development. And even so, 2D sprite games still continue to be be produced today, often with stylistic choice that make them age better and far more pleasing than 3D models. You're not going ot tell me FF7 has better graphics than Super Mario World, are you?
>>
>>28959731
It may have taken a while, but once you have the 3D models, you can easily add new Animations, textures, et cetera, compared to 2D art. That's the same reason there are no 2D Animation movies and shows anymore, just 3D, its easier to make in the long run.
And stuff like the Z Move animations (for example, eevee jumping on the protags shoulder), I have a hard time imagining that in 2D. But thats just my two cents, I'm sure there are more arguments.

Though, that really sucks for some mons, as >>28959561 stated. they will probably never remake sharpedo and the likes, i'm sure they'll use the gen 6 models for a while now.
>>
>>28959731
While it's true that 3D modeling may have taken a lot of resources away from other parts of development, I think the models themselves look awesome, bar some exceptions. They managed to make the pokemon look more "real" and alive while keeping the cartoony aspect. I think the 3D models will age a lot better than BW's horribly crippled and stretched sprites.
>>
>>28959789
I wish more people were like you
>>
>>28959789
>While it's true that 3D modeling may have taken a lot of resources away from other parts of development, I think the models themselves look awesome

you need glasses or some fucking taste

its one thing to endure the bad, lifeless models as they are right now hoping they will improve on the future. its another totally retarded and different to say WHOA THERES NOTHING WRONG THEYRE AWESOME XD

and no, z-moves won't improve that
i hate those fucking stupid 2 minute dances and i really, really hope i can skip that crap without having to disable all animations but since this is gamefreak i really doubt this will happen
>>
>>28961166
And then there's this guy
Disregarding personal taste, please, enlighten me on what your approach on more lively mons would be.

My definiton would be the level of interaction, their reactions to the battle and petting/playing in Amie, and that is, objectively, getting improved right now, no matter how some of them loo like, in particular.

What do you want, more animated pixelated sprites?
Or do you just want the 3D models to get "better"? You're gonna thank the shitty 3DS specs for that, I suppose
>>
File: Dragalge.gif (302KB, 139x137px) Image search: [Google]
Dragalge.gif
302KB, 139x137px
>Super Training
>Horde Battles
>Updated Destiny Knot
>Balltism breeding is now a reality
>Actually have access to Hidden Abilities, fathers can pass them down with Ditto
>Can trade/battle wherever, whenever
>Buffed Poison and brought out multiple new type combinations in spite of the low new Pokemon count
>Massive regional Pokedex allows both the AI and player to have way more options
>Fun with forms
>>
sitting
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.