[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do you like Pokémon more than Dragon Quest? Why do you like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 19

File: DQII_-_Malroth.png (392KB, 500x555px) Image search: [Google]
DQII_-_Malroth.png
392KB, 500x555px
Why do you like Pokémon more than Dragon Quest? Why do you like Dragon Quest more than Pokémon?
>>
Ive never played dragon Quest
>>
>>28932711
Dragon Quest Monsters is awesome, but they've stopped bringing the games over

That being said, monster raising games have always been my favorite- pokemon, DQM, monster rancher... best genre
>>
>>28932800
kind of this.

>>28932711
This actually belongs in /v/ though but what's a good game to start on?
>>
Fossil Fighters is the patrician choice, though

[spoilers]Except for Frontier, that one sucked ass[/spoiler]
>>
>>28932711
I like both, but I tend to like Pokemon a bit more. It's got more replay value for me. Thought I love DQ monsters, they're goofy and fun and full of puns. Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 was my very first gameboy game, I still own my copy. I love it. Wish they'd localize the remake.
>>
>>28932821
This nigga knows what's up
>>
>>28932844
1-3 are retro classic and for some people too outdated for their taste.
dragon quest 4 for the ds is really good game to start on. expectation wise
5/6 very good titles. also go check ds versions.
7/8 are top dogs and should not be started or else other versions might seem shallow.
9 with the wifi gone it's core gameplay feature is unplayable but still fun main story to explore with wide customisation options.
>>
>>28932800
This
>>
>>28933007
I was so bummed when DQ9's online feature got canned. I never got to enjoy it while it was up, and now I feel like I'm missing out on so much content, which is stupid. I hate the idea of stuff being locked away forever for no real reason.
>>
>>28933065
You missed out on 60% of the content.
All the good equipments were available online. Also the epic boss battles.
But yeah shutting down online exclusive stuff sucks that's why japanese dont like mmorpg because once the servers go down they are unplayable.
>>
I do not care for DQ's monster design.

except Slime Knight. He's cool.
>>
>>28933007
Just want to echo your thoughts with mine.

>1-3 are retro classic and for some people too outdated for their taste.
3 is still very good and was a milestone in the Dragon Quest series and JRPGs as a whole. There are a couple of bugs with the Super Famicom English patch, but that version is a good one to play. 1 only has a single player controlled character, but it's otherwise fairly short and of historical significance. 2 has some notable balance issues, especially when the game opens up and there are several regions with high level monsters that scare you away from them. Of the original trilogy, 3 is by far the best and is a great entry point into the series.
>dragon quest 4 for the ds is really good game to start on. expectation wise
The mobile port is also acceptable, since it's the same game as the DS version but with the ability to chat with party members, which is pretty important considering there are 8 in the game.
>5/6 very good titles. also go check ds versions.
5 is a fantastic game centered around one character's life and the family around him. 6 goes back to 3's roots and reintroduced job selection for each of the party members in the game.
>7/8 are top dogs and should not be started or else other versions might seem shallow.
I see plenty of people recommend 8 to beginners, but I have yet to play it myself. The remake of 7 is excellent.
>9 with the wifi gone it's core gameplay feature is unplayable but still fun main story to explore with wide customisation options.
9 has the most extensive post game by far of the game's released outside of Japan, even with the dropped Wi-Fi support.
>>
>>28933065
It's not fully gone. A lot of the multiplayer equipment is already on the cartridge, and I think you can give yourself all of it if you use an action replay.
>>
File: dq_slime_knight_by_kenny0202.jpg (168KB, 442x624px) Image search: [Google]
dq_slime_knight_by_kenny0202.jpg
168KB, 442x624px
>>28933235
My nigga
>>
i like pokemon better because im shit at dq
>>
File: 2fabulous4u.jpg (54KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
2fabulous4u.jpg
54KB, 360x480px
Digimon is the real way to go, both Pokemon and Dragon Quest are wrong.

Digimon is better in every way.

>Inb4 contrarians that never played a Digimon world game in their lives.
>>
Dragon Quest Monsters is okay, but the skill system is absolutely terrible and it suffers a lot from the monsters you raise not feeling permeable or relevant. You get a hour or so at most with a new monster before you fuse it away and end up with something entirely different. There's no opportunity to bond with a specific creature - everything you raise is essentially just fusion fodder.
>>
>>28932821
Marry me, anon
>>
>>28933416
I played trough 1-9 and still to this date 8 is the best dragon quest by far. It will come on 3ds again if you missed the ps2 version.
>>
>>28933481
Oh, really? I might actually invest in one now.
>>
>>28933611
8 is journey of the king right? Looks promising.
>>
>>28933647
> Journey of the Cursed King
don't spoil yourself on youtube.
go in fully unexpected and you'll get a braingasm.
>>
>>28932711
I liked DQ9 But thats all, probably going to play the DQ8 3DS Remake and DQ11 if its any thing like 9.
Pokemon is where my bros are, and it's fun for the whole family.
>>
>>28933594
I think that gives it an edge over Pokemon. You could easily raise a super OP version of your favorite monster and defeat the final boss using anything you want.
Hell, certain monsters have exclusive abilities. Butterflies are immune to those one-hit kill explosions; GreatDraks are unaffected by ice and fire attacks, FunkyBirds are annoying as fuck, etc.
>>
>>28932711
I've only played Monsters Joker 1, so anyone feel free to inform me if I'm wrong in any regard

I prefer Pokemon because, at least from what I've seen, Dragon Quest games don't really deviate at all from the standard RPG formula. All the fights in DQMJ felt samey and there wasn't a lot of min/maxing in regards to the monsters' stats, so the only thing to really distinguish their roles were their (either boring and samey or strange and unpredictable) movesets. What footage I've seen of other DQ games just looks like a bland RPG.

Meanwhile, Pokemon's combat mechanics result in very dynamic fights wherein certain decisions are more important. The Pokemons' movesets (which manage to be both varied and straightforward) and higher contrast in stats make their roles more apparent, which results in building teams, making decisions during battles, and entering the meta being easy.
>>
As someone who has never played a Dragon Quest game, they gives off the appearance of a game that requires a considerable amount of patience with no guarantees of worthwhile reward.

Loved the manga though.
>>
>>28933589
I've only fully played through Digimon World DS. Does that count for anything?

I loved the shit out of that game, but I don't think the combat is better than that of Pokemon. Unless I was playing wrong, that is. Are there any systems in place (like Pokemons' weaknesses for example) that make tempo/decision-making really important?
>>
>>28933878
Dragon Quest is about the journey, not the destination. The progress in just about every game is to visit a village, find out about the crisis in the village, go resolve the crisis, then move on to the next village, all the way up until you defeat the Dragon Lord / Demon King / Big Bad. They are fundamentally basic JRPGs and are not much more complex than Pokemon, though they do encourage smart playing by providing situational spells and abilities over the course of the game.

If you wanted a Dragon Quest that starts quickly, you can start with 3 and get a party together and out of the starting town in less than 10 minutes. Some of the later entries in the series have much longer starts, especially 7 which even in the remake takes an hour before the first battle.
>>
>>28933589
Digimon World is fun but I still like the structure/gameplay and plot of the Pokemon games a bit more. It's just easier to get invested in.
>>
>>28933589
How's the one out for the PS4? Cyber Sleuth?
>>
>>28933936
>like Pokemons' weaknesses for example

Actually every individual digimon have different elemental weakness and resistances, you can increase the elemental resistance via training anyways, but is is safe to say that water will damage fire, holy will damage dark and so on.

Teamwork is fundamental in digimon battles so support, status, buffs and debuffs actually matters, even the position of your digimon matters as they can get passive bonuses from other digimon, but the most important part is the training and raising.

Every digimon have a lot of potential too, so you can use the one you like the most and train it to become stronger.
>>
File: sad helmet.jpg (21KB, 222x182px) Image search: [Google]
sad helmet.jpg
21KB, 222x182px
>>28934332

Tiamat pls go.
>>
>>28933874
Dragon Quest doesn't deviates from the standard jrpg formula because it's the CREATOR of the standard jrpg formula, it's iconic in japan and also a very very conservative series, just because DQ9 tried to do a action battle style instead turns fans went rampage and the game was changed before the final release.

At first it looks like a generic game but it has the power to draw you bit by bit, the story, gameplay, world, it's all simple but also filled with charm, it has a spice in it. It's a long game, many things happen in the story and your party development is satisfying to see, you grow attached to it.

It's a game that you either love or hate, not for everybody, but the ones that like it really like it.

Also, this one is just personal but I like to see this way: Pokémon is a great game for multiplayer, but in the single player Dragon Quest is greatly superior as a experience.
>>
File: IMG_4975.jpg (671KB, 1972x1732px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4975.jpg
671KB, 1972x1732px
>>28934386
No.
>>
>>28934332
I like SMT, Monster Rancher, Digimon, DQ and Pokemon.
Step up senpai.
>>
Dragon Quest Monsters is miles better than any Pokemon games. The breeding makes sense and is actually useful, the play is actually challenging, post-game is decent, and the monsters and attacks are dope. Only thing Pokemon games have over DQM is monster consistency.

Sucks we won't see anymore DQM here in the west... I should learn to read moonrunes
>>
>>28934449
what about Fossil fighters it is bretty gud
>>
>>28934452
I'll miss my swordgon. Actually no I won't cause I'll just replay DWM at some point and recreate it

what I'll really miss is monster rancher cause I don't have my PS or huge cd collection anymore
I mean yeah there's the GBA/DS ones but it's not really the same
>>
I'm actually playing through both DQV and Pokemon Y for the first time on each. I love both games so far, but I gotta say DQ's battles move along a bit faster which makes grinding a bit more bearable.
>>
>>28933936
Did you pay Dusk or Dawn? They are even better than World ds.
>>
File: orc.png (146KB, 318x356px) Image search: [Google]
orc.png
146KB, 318x356px
Post your favorite Dragon Quest monster.
>>
File: Lips.png (602KB, 509x496px) Image search: [Google]
Lips.png
602KB, 509x496px
>>28936054

Not even joking.
>>
>>28932711
Akira toriyameme sucks at drawing
>>
File: Taihou.jpg (22KB, 512x480px) Image search: [Google]
Taihou.jpg
22KB, 512x480px
I prefer Devil Survivor, flying fish is best demon
>>
DQM is the only Pokemon like game I consider worth my time. Used to play joker 2 competitive with friends. It was pretty fun but at a certain point everyone found that night clubber and King metal slime where pretty much perfect, third slot could be basically anything else but night clubber and kms where basically mandatory unless you where using a 3 square monster.
>>
>>28932711
Damn I love them both
>>
File: 1475623211568.jpg (388KB, 1154x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1475623211568.jpg
388KB, 1154x1500px
I like SMT, Dragon Quest, and Digimon.

The big difference though is that Pokemon has longevity. I've never put over 100 hours into a SMT/DQ/Digimon game but I have over 200 hours in every Pokemon game.

Pokemon just has more lasting appeal, multiplayer, competitive, a huge playerbase, etc. These other monster catching games are good distractions from Pokemon, but that's about it.
>>
>>28936215
your opinion sucks
>>
>>28936363
>Considering others games a distracting from Pokemon
Funny, because with me it's the opposite, I consider pokemon a distraction from others bigger games that I play between. Not always specifically monster catching games, though.

Also is pretty easy to clock 100 hours in a SMT or DQ, they're pretty long games just going by the main story, let alone extras.
>>
File: UTue6oj.jpg (371KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
UTue6oj.jpg
371KB, 900x1200px
>>28936054
I still prefer to call it Greatdrak
>>
File: DQVI_Nokturnus.png (271KB, 626x550px) Image search: [Google]
DQVI_Nokturnus.png
271KB, 626x550px
>>28936054

Do bosses count?
>>
File: 1353989666036.jpg (289KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
1353989666036.jpg
289KB, 500x600px
>>28936054
>>
>>28932711
I prefer Final Fantasy to both desu
>>
File: 1456766812256.png (129KB, 294x317px) Image search: [Google]
1456766812256.png
129KB, 294x317px
>>28936258
>Multi-Strike
>Everything that doesn't repel phys is fucking dead.
>>
I loved Digimon World Championship. Something about having a ton of monsters that I care for through feeding, training, and potty training makes me feel more connected to them than any other monster raising game. Also the cute sprites
>>
>>28936888
Fuck Puff-Puff.
Gently.
>>
File: WVW69jqvEoIEhCGVs6.jpg (213KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
WVW69jqvEoIEhCGVs6.jpg
213KB, 400x240px
>>28937108
>>
>>28934145
That first part is pretty true for most of the DQ games except 7.
DQ7 journey is:
>visit a village
>talk to people until you find the right one to talk to
>play hide and seek with them to continue a six part dialogue sequence
>talk to the one guy who lives on the other side of the island
>go back to the village
>go back to the one guy
>go back to the village
>wonder why shit isn't progressing
>find out how to progress things
>visit a dungeon and beat a boss
>visit the village again
>walk back to the shrine teleporter
>visit the village in the present with slight changes
>hunt for tablet fragments in the village
>visit the same local dungeon with maybe one new enemy or no enemies at all
>search for a a tablet fragment that's probably at the very end of the dungeon
>go back to the shrine and onto the next village
And of course you can't fucking Zoom, use a boat, or do anything travel faster for the majority of that.
>>
>>28937048
True, I also love Digimon world championship, is like a tamagotchi on steroids.

You see them start as a defenseless baby digimon all the way to a powerful Mega digimon, you see them win or lose depending on your training, it really makes me proud to see them win important battles it shows how well you raised them.

Unfortunately that game is not very well received even among digimon fans.
>>
File: 1474823662602.gif (197KB, 332x317px) Image search: [Google]
1474823662602.gif
197KB, 332x317px
>>28936054
>>
>>28938221
you FUVCKING PIECE OF SHIT GET BACK HERE
>>
>>28938221
Top Kek
>>
dragon warrior monsters was the shit back in the day
>>
>>28938221
He just eats all my sirloins and flees. Why do you like him? He's a true monster.
>>
File: slime.jpg (244KB, 383x373px) Image search: [Google]
slime.jpg
244KB, 383x373px
>>28936054
Slimy family is best family! I like dark, metal and gem slimes the most
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.