[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kanto >nailed the urban theme, but only in Celadon/Saffron

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 9

File: 1467533207026.jpg (305KB, 1201x622px) Image search: [Google]
1467533207026.jpg
305KB, 1201x622px
Kanto
>nailed the urban theme, but only in Celadon/Saffron
>needed more infrastructure to nail the urban theme

Johto
>nailed the old Japanese theme
>needed more autumn tree areas outside Ecruteak and rain to nail the rural theme

Hoenn
>nailed the man/nature theme
>needed more actual jungles and palm trees to nail the tropical theme (fucking pine tree Junge)

Sinnoh
>nailed the history theme
>needed a lot more snow locations to nail the northern/alpine theme

Unova
>nailed the urban theme

Kalos
>nailed the french theme, but only in Lumiose
>needed a huge rework to not be an amusement park region with no strong theme
>>
the last thing sinnoh needs is more snow
>>
I always thought Sinnoh was supposed to be based on Canada.

Forested west, split by a moutain spine with farmland in the middle, marsh then more coast in the east, snow in the north.
>>
>>28789438
It's based on the northern part of Japan. All of the first 4 regions are based on Japan.
>>
>>28789416
but there's only snow in that one route
>>
>>28789476
and that's still too much
>>
>urban
>cultural
>tropical
>cold
>urban
>cultural
>tropical
>???

Gen 8 will be Iceland
>>
>>28789490
It doesn't need to be retarded snow. Just like the stuff by the gym
>>
>>28789136
Kalos didn't nail anything. It's boring and bland
>>
>>28789501
was sinnoh even supposed to be a cold region until platinum pushed it?
>>
>>28789416
It doesn't need more snow routes. But aesthetic stuff like frosted trees and fallen snow in Twinleaf should have been all over the region.
>>
Me
>nailed OPs mom
>>
>>28789509
I was going to say that but I'm sure someone would bring up the French aesthetics in Lumiose or something so I included it
>>
>>28789518
The protagonists of DPPt are dressed for cool weather, at least.
>>
>>28789555
That only happened after Platinum redeigned them.
>>
>>28789543
I mean, there was also stuff like that one palace clearly inspired by Versailles, but it was still a pretty weak region.
>>
>>28789555
not in D/P
>>
>>28789136
Is Paris the only thing you know about France? Kalos did an amazing job of capturing the French countryside, and all the old towns and manors.
>>
>>28789608
>huge route, lake area, city, and mountain that takes up a third of the region all covered in snow
>0 fire types
>generation introduced snow warning
>protagonists wear scarves
>>
>>28789438
Its shaped like fucking Hokkaidou you sperg
>>
>>28789555
Even with the lack of sleeves and the shorter length of skirt on dawn the aesthetic still says colder weather to me. The scarves on both and boots on Dawn, in particular.
>>
>>28789682
Are old towns a French thing?
>>
>>28789657
Meant to (You) you here >>28789719
>>
>>28789719
bullshit dawn has less on her than any other protag
>>
>>28789754
whores dont get cold
>>
>>28789719

The male dresses about the same way I do in winter.

>short sleeve shirt
>jeans
>closed shoes

Then again, that's how I dress in summer, too.
>>
>>28789771
You're right on that, I attend UCSB and got to experience that this winter
>>
>>28789682
this
honestly take Geosenge town it's a bit cliché but it really feels like britanny. Even places like route 7 and the castles. Kalos did a great job
>>
File: 17815874182_0be92543a4_b.jpg (371KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
17815874182_0be92543a4_b.jpg
371KB, 1024x683px
>>28789136
>needed more actual jungles and palm trees to nail the tropical theme (fucking pine tree Junge)
I'll never understand why people think Hoenn's a fully tropical region.

It's sub tropical. Kyushu, the island it's based off of in Japan, isn't a Hawaiian Coconut Tree paradise. It's a varied place, that happens to have a warm climate due to it being the most southern part of Japan.

Pic related, is an actual forest in Kyushu. Which doesn't really scream rainforest, if you ask me.
>>
Would you say that Alola nailed the Hawaii thing so far? It's basically using real life Hawaii for its 11 biomes right by each other while on a tropical island shtick while making minor adjustments location wise.
>>
>>28789838
To be fair, they do have Okinawa/ Evergrand, but it mostly focused on the huge water cave Okinawa has and the Palace in Okinawa instead of a tropical setting.
Pacifilog and Mosdeep were also based on the Southern islands and we got mangroves at Mosdeep and Corsola supported Pacifilog.
>>
>>28789136

> Shabboneau Castle, Parfum Palace, Battle Chateau along with Route 7 are clearly based on the Châteaux of the Loire Valley
> Tower of Mastery is clearly based on Mont Saint-Michel
> Each city has a setting that looks like the french region it's based on

That said, I agree that putting a desert and snowy areas for no reasons is a dumb idea.
>>
>>28789899
Hawaii seems to come through here more than the real location comes through most regions barring Kalos which was just literally France in the middle and Johto
>>
>>28789527
underrated post
>>
>>28790026
I was definitely being too hard on Kalos
>>
>>28790026
>oh it's only snowy here because the gym leader likes to make things COLD
>no no no we didnt push for a final ice gym leader because we forgot about ice pokemon and threw them in lategame at all
>look, abomasnow!!!
>>
>>28789136
So Egypt for Gen 8 then?
>>
>>28790026
They had all the designs at start, but they failed to capitalize on it

Also as the region went on, it strayed father and farther away from France
>>
>>28790135

Maybe.
>>
>>28790135
>japan
>caring about africa

lmao
>>
>>28789136
Stop pretending that Unova is perfect.
>>
>>28790229
Tell me what Unova needed to improve carrying across its urban theme.

Even the random desert tied into it as they start urbanizing the path between Castelia and Nimbasa
>>
>>28789838
People just try to nitpick every little thing about Hoenn rather than just admitting that it's the best region.
>>
>>28790047
My guess is that its due to the fact that Hawaii has its tourism down. They know what to market so that people are interested, and they're small enough to pick out and advertise every detail of the state, whereas other places are big and have many small things fighting with each other for attention.
Hawaii is also lucky to have great natural geography, history (especially with Japan, which is what gamefreak seems to aim for with regions), and well documented weird native and introduced animals that are well documented. It must've been a lot easier to research and come up with things for Alola than other regions for game freak.
>>
>>28790286
Not about it having an Urban theme, it's about it being a boring region.
>>
>>28790335
>opinions

>>28790363
And this is a thread about region themes. I don't like Kanto but in HGSS it showed its urban theme well. In FRLG it didn't.
>>
>>28790135
Mexico, aztec shit nigga
>>
>>28790229
But it is though.
>>
>>28790425
I don't speak taco language
>>
File: Hoenn_Route_120_E.png (46KB, 640x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Hoenn_Route_120_E.png
46KB, 640x1600px
>>28789948
Which was a perfectly fine representation of it imo.
The only thing it needed was a bit more Okinawan-esque islands in Hoenn's Ocean Routes.

The Pine Tree Forest in ORAS is a hardsell though. RSE used different trees for that section, in comparison.
>>
>>28789136
>Kanto
>>nailed the urban theme

No, it didn't. Kanto feels like the countryside, even in the biggest cities.
I bet OP is a stupid ass Kantonian bumpkin.
>>
>>28789136
The IRL Kanto region isn't all city, though. The place Celadon is based on is pretty much a rural place that specializes in vegetable farming, for example.
>>
>>28790478
Pine tree forest is my biggest problem with it honestly. I'd be fine with calling it Subtropical if it didn't feel like every other part of the region wasn't trying to feel tropical except in a select few places

>>28790508
HGSS Kanto feels urban
>>
>>28790478
I can agree with that. It really was a bit of a mixing of what they wanted. It kinda seemed like it was tropical for People farther north and not tropical enough for people used to the tropics. I guess that fits as subtropical, but they didn't really implement it well did they? I did like the reflections at night on the Oras route though.
>>
>>28790552
*Cerulean
>>
>>28790562
>>28790574
Whoops, forgot to post the ORAS version.

It's really weird because I have no problem with it ingame, aside from the Pine Trees looking super out of place.

But then you see the birds eye view, and it just looks glaringly sad. Makes no sense to me since the ORAS route at night is my favorite route of all time.

I think the trees in RSE look a bit more like the Kyushu forest posted above, but it's still a bit out there.
>>
>>28790552
Its not about what the place was inspired by, but what the place is trying to come across as
>>
>>28789136
The problem with Kalos is that they did some things totally half assed or they made them seem more important than they where. It has nice set pieces scatter throughout

>Unused Rhyhorn race track
>the mansion with no battes or plot point, the other minor mansion,
>the SNOW Route and SNOWING City with the ICE CAVE didn't have the Ice Gym leader.
>The city with the massive info dump on box legendary isn't given by an important character or towns gym leader in front of sundial.
>Various architecture that show off other mon but not Kalos mon.
>Florette line not being the national pokemon line
>Diathna not having a Florges or being met filming a movie.
>No secret Xerneas grove even though we have swamp area, a grass gym leader and a run down forest area.
>>
>>28790634
>>
>>28790756
>>28790634
Holy shit that looks so....odd
>>
>>28790786
Where's the forest?
I get it's because of 3DS limitations, but they could have hid it better, by using... not Pine Trees.
>>
>>28790478
>>28790756
How do these look so fucking different?
>>
>>28790756
Surely they could've used the assets from Kiloude city. Poor design choice I guess.
>>
>>28789438
It's literally fucking Hokkaido.

t. Hokkaidofag
>>
File: hnb.gif (403KB, 271x279px)
hnb.gif
403KB, 271x279px
>>28790877
So you been reading that Shokugeki as well eh?
>>
>>28790834
They replaces trees and mountain tiles with inaccessible land that has a few trees on it.

Its actually my fear of the Alola over world. A lot of slightly taller land that will be inexplicably inaccessible
>>
>>28790026
Don't forget the standing stones, backpackers, and Japanese tourists.

Aside from the weird shoehorned locations, Kalos honestly did one of the best jobs at representing its source material.
>>
>>28790654
Agree with all these. After Unova and Johto gave us so many interesting legendary locations, Kalos only gave us a one roomed cave for Mewtwo with no lore
>>
>>28789136
looking at the map of hoenn i realize how much of a missed opportunity they had with rs. imagine if in ruby you started at pacifidlog and sapphire you started at newbark.

then the end boss would be groudon at the volcano and kyogre at the origin cave.

this way you could feel more for the team you were working together with. in ruby you start at an aquatic city floating on the ocean and sapphire you start grounded in newbark. this way when the opposing team tried to rile up the legendary it would give you more of a reason to go after them ie
>oh no pacifidlog wont be able to exist with more land!
>oh no newbark will be underwater!
>>
>>28789501
icelands green, youre thinking of greenland

>inb4 >icelands green

yes the nords were retards
>>
>>28791460
This would be amazing. But I doubt they'd ever make the stories THAT different.

But ORAS should have been a sequel that started at Pacifidlog to be a contrast to RSE at Littleroot
>>
>>28791460
That's... almost exactly what Emerald did, minus starting you in a different location. You wind up going after, and defeating Team Magma in their base under the volcano first, and then they team up with you later on to stop Aqua from awakening Kyogre.
>>
>>28791603
The Volcano was the end of the Magma arc? Seems kind of early
>>
>>28791890
You visit the volcano twice. First time for the Meteorite, the second time for Groudon. It's actually about halfway through the game.
>>
>>28791963
Oh, the hideout thing was still the volcano
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.