[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello you shitlords, yesterday some faggot posted this picture

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 13

File: 1474763904630.png (125KB, 751x263px) Image search: [Google]
1474763904630.png
125KB, 751x263px
Hello you shitlords,
yesterday some faggot posted this picture followed by another argument about whether or not the examples were "cherry picked".
I've had it with all of you and this dumb shit.
For this purpose, I took every fucking pokemon up to gen VI and made a fucking statistic.

Disclaimer: I have done this shit with pen and paper, and despite double checking there are quite some slippery slope-cases which I may revisit some day. However, the general trend is so glaring that it can't be explained by minor fluctuations. Details follow below.
>>
you have my attention, OP
>>
Monitoring
>>
>>28781348
>left
Same eye
>right
Same pupil/iris but different expressions and colors

There's better ways to do this than using the generic minimalist kaiju eyes that were spammed in Gen 1.
>>
>>28781348
At work but severely interested and willing to bookmark archive for future posting if it gives significant results one way or the other, just so I can shut both sides up once and die all.
>>
>>28781374
That's not the statistic idiot, it's what was posted that made him make statistics to prove it right or wrong.
>>
>>28781391
Yeah I suck cocks I didn't actually read OP right.

Interested as well.
>>
>>28781348
from what it seems, gen 1 pokemon are intended to look more intimidating. the concept of taming wild beasts seems more realistic than the overly cute toy-like pacifists we get in following gens.
>>
>>28781348
The main problem with this picture is that it was used as an argument to praise gen one and discredit the others but nobody explained why the style of the eyes in the first image is inherently superior to that of the second.
>>
File: LEGEND.png (416KB, 696x1198px) Image search: [Google]
LEGEND.png
416KB, 696x1198px
>>28781348
FIRST, let's clear the nomenclature. I made 7 categories of Pokemon:

ND -- Noncircular Detailed
Eyes that have some corner and a detailed pupil, meaning it actually has an iris. Most of the anatomical mammalian eyes are here. Eye white is required
NP -- Noncircular Plain
Cat eyes, slit eyes etc go here. The Pupil is not as detailed, hence.. plain. durr.
B -- Bug eyed
Your Pikachus, your bug-type eyes, eyes that are button-ish, with no or a perfectly circular iris, no eye white
CD -- Circular Detailed
Circular or oval eyes with little to no real corner except a semi-straight line "generic angry" look. Iris required.
P -- Plain
Circle in Circle eyes, or Point in circle. sometimes also noncircular eyes are included if they really have only dot pupils with no all too complex shape either way.
E -- Emoji eyes.
Usually drawn-on looking or extremely abstract. Also includes Super Mario Shroon '_' - eyes.
NIL -- No eyes in default position (inclused ralts for example)
>>
>>28781348
too be honest, I love both eye styles. The simplicity of both is aesthetically appealing to me subjectively to the point where I'm just glad we got both despite being seperated because of the era's style
>>
Somewhere along the line, Japan became really really gay.
>>
>>28781348
How much time did you spent doing this OP?
>>
>>28781412
You should have pre typed this shit OP
>>
>>28781412
Make sense, let's see the actual numbers.
>>
File: 1452702424120.png (87KB, 300x297px) Image search: [Google]
1452702424120.png
87KB, 300x297px
>It's an OP didn't type his long ass post in advance thread
>>
File: TABLE.png (4KB, 287x135px) Image search: [Google]
TABLE.png
4KB, 287x135px
>>28781348
OKAY. NOW THE CLASSES, BY GEN.
As I said, I won't take any responsibility if the numbers don't add up exactly.
Also, In case of doubt when deciding between 2 classes for a single case I have usually gone with the one higher up in the hierarchy as seen in >>28781412

>>28781428
Yeah. Should've
>>
>>28781470
Interested. Gotta go feed my horses, but I'll come back and read cause statistics interest me.

Also, what is the argument you're trying to make in regards to these eyes? That Ballio and friends are real and the other set are fake?
>>
>>28781470
so, uh, what are your conclusions ?
I dropped out of my psych major because I failed statistics, so I need someone less retarded than I am to explain to me.
>>
>>28781487
Pretty sure the argument is that the picture in the OP isn't cherry-picked; that there has been a change in eye style.
>>
>>28781412
DBZ eyes should not be generalized with dissimiliar eyes, it's a very distinct type of eye that's common enough to deserve its own group. Saying Scolipede or Mienshao has the same eyes as Pinsir and Mewtwo is awfully misrepresentative.
>>
>>28781470
obviously the gens I to VI from left to right. Cropped that out.

as you can see, generally the number of NP pokemon has decreased significantly.
ND is rather stable.
Bug eyes are off the fucking charts
Emoji eyes have been oddly popular in gens 2+3.

On a personal note, after investigating pokemon eyes for several hours I can confirm that eyes generally have gotten rounder, even the noncircular ones on average.

>>28781487
I'm just observing, first and foremost.
The conclusion I draw however is simple. In classical all-caps angry internet person style I'd summarize it as

YES EYES HAVE GOTTEN ROUNDER AND POTENTIALLY MORE CUTESY OVER THE GENERATIONS, AND EVERYONE TELLING YOU DIFFERENTLY SHOULD BE HUNG FROM THE NEAREST TREE
>>
>>28781470
I hope you made a ND+NP and B+CD+P table with actual percentages for every gen, so we can get a clear answer.
>>
>>28781348
>horsea
>meowth
>>
>>28781545
Sure thing mate. Gimme a moment to add up the percentages.
>>
>>28781412
OP, what category would you put Hydreigon's eyes in?
>>
>>28781470
who else has no eyes in gen 1 other than zubat? I don't think Snorlax and Abra count. They seem more emoji eyed
>>
>>28781598
Staryu and Starmie should be the other 2
>>
File: 123.png (29KB, 158x95px) Image search: [Google]
123.png
29KB, 158x95px
>>
>>28781545
HERE WE GO. Accumulated contributions from noncircular, circular/simple and Emoji
I will now proceed to answer questions
>>
File: 7872f5f6.png (209KB, 580x516px) Image search: [Google]
7872f5f6.png
209KB, 580x516px
People who think there hasn't been a change in art style are delusional kneejerk idiots who feel inclined to defend everything Game Freak does, because doing anything otherwise would make you look like a genwunner and being a genwunner is baaaaaaad.

I have to admire your dedication, OP. How long did this take you?
>>
>>28781645
and of course I forget the pic.
>>
>>28781646
No one says the style hasn't changed retard.
>>
>>28781561
Not OP, but I'd assume B
>>
>>28781655
I see arguments that "the art style hasn't changed because Voltorb and Magnemite xD" all the goddamn time on here.
>>
>>28781646
I'd say no one defends GF regarding the change in artstyle, it's only if you feel that the change is good or bad.
>>
I honestly prefer newer eyes since shit like Pidgey and Rattata having le gen 1 kaiju eyes really bothers me.
>>
>>28781670
That's about design, not artstyle
>>
>>28781646
Modern anime art style is objectively more aesthetically pleasing, it's the natural progression of an art style that aspires to cut away the unneccessary.
>>
>>28781470
Does this include megas and significantly diffrrent forms (e.g. shaymin or alolan raichu) as seperate pokemon?

Should it?
>>
>>28781694
Can't wait til they're all just eyeballs and fantastical hair.
>>
>>28781654
It's pretty clear the first two have almost switched percentages.
It's now more than twice as common to see a round eye. Surprisingly in Gen 1 it is almost a 1/1
>>
>>28781427
A few hours. I started sometime yesterday night and finished around 1-2 am

>>28781509
see
>>28781534
and >>28781654

>>28781598
>>28781614
correct

>>28781533
yeah I was thinking about that, but It went beyond my core point and would have meant more work.

>>28781561
that one was tough. I settled with NP, but it could have been B easily depending on how one "understands" the eyes.
>>28781705
megas? no. different forms other than that? yes. Always went with the highest hierarchy.
>>
>>28781670
That's about design quality and inanimate mons vs animal mons and shit not art style
>>
>>28781705
Percentages should change that much, as long as Arceus isn't counted for 18 and Unown for 28.
>>
>>28781723
each kind once. always the most "detailed" form, disregarding Megas.
>>
>>28781654
This would be much easier to interpret (and repost) in graph form.
Either line (axis: number v.s. gen) or multiple pies would be best.
>>
>>28781784
oh boy. Alright, alright. But expect nothing too fancy
>>
File: eyes.png (428KB, 1780x1002px) Image search: [Google]
eyes.png
428KB, 1780x1002px
If someone needs condensed version they you go
>>
>>28781670
Well at least this confirms you're illiterate.
>>
File: 1412338223104.gif (930KB, 374x361px) Image search: [Google]
1412338223104.gif
930KB, 374x361px
>>28781716
>>28781880
>>28781682
I know the difference between art style and design. But /vp/ uses the terms interchangeably because they can't fathom how someone could have a preference for gen 1 art direction other than nostalgia.
>>
File: GRAPH_I_ALSO_CRUISE_CONTROL.png (9KB, 563x331px) Image search: [Google]
GRAPH_I_ALSO_CRUISE_CONTROL.png
9KB, 563x331px
>>28781859
nice one!
>>28781784
>>28781833
also, here's a graph. enjoy.
>>
>>28781896
By how could you have a preference for the early gen art direction for any reason other than nostalgia? As people's general art style preferences have changed as time goes on, the pokemon art style has followed suit, so why are you still stuck in the 90s?
>>
No offense, but...who cares?
>>
>>28782007
>As people's general art style preferences have changed as time goes on, the pokemon art style has followed suit, so why are you still stuck in the 90s?
That's not how generations work. And I don't mean pokemon ones.
>>
>>28782007
Uhhhhhhh
>>
>>28781646
There shouldn't be anything to defend. GF has done nothing inherently wrong. You sound like one of those spoiled Tumblr kids who don't have real problems so they make up problems like people not understanding their 'fried chickengender' or some retarded bullshit. Things have changed: technology/graphics have gotten better, more varied artists/designers have joined the team, more animals, plants, etc. with varied eyes have been used for inspiration, etc. etc. Change is good in this case. I don't get it, specifically the whole eye thing; one can only slap the same eyes on different designs for so long before it gets stale. This thread and its kin is just another case of "I've outgrown the franchise and refuse to move on, but I'll sit around and play the games anyway while I hope and wait for things to return to the days of old." That's never going to happen so go and do something else; GF or anyone else couldn't give a rat's ass less.
>>
>>28781470
Shouldn't it be % and not #? As all generations don't have the same number of mons....
The data looks worse than it is when no category is breaking 30.
>>
>>28782030
But why would prefer something that is inherently primitive and underdeveloped when compared to its modern iterations for any reason other than a) it invokes a feeling of nostalgia because you grew up with it, or b) you like it just because it has that primitive charm?
>>
>>28782025
Well, considering people bitch and argue endlessly about this, I'd say a lot of people care, anon.
>>
>>28782084
Renaissance art sure was underdeveloped.

>Applying technological laws to art quality
>STEM virgins
>>
>>28782048
not the same guy, but I don't honestly care.
But the thing is that they are doing the opposite of what you claim: they make everything more the same. There are only so many ways you can put a circle in a circle and call it an eye. By removing shapes that are more angular they kill diversity. In fact, I assumed it to be common knowledge that technical limitation breeds creativity and that too much freedom can make for stale art.
>>
>>28782084
I'm going to sidestep your bait hooks here and explain something.

The earlier art style was trying to convey a different tone than the modern art style. The earlier art style makes the Pokemon look meaner and more imposing. The modern style makes them look more friendly and inviting. This is an innate difference between the earlier sharper angles and the modern curved lines.

It's about preferring a style where Pokemon look like they would actually fuck you up if you didn't have your own Pokemon for protection.
>>
>>28781646
A change in art style isn't an inherently bad thing you fucking moron.

Pokemon right now is better than it has ever been. Stop clinging to your antiquated bullshit and get with the times.
>>
>>28782048
This guy was actually "prooving" that there is a change in eye style and that the pic in the OP wasn't a cherry picked example. Nothing about whether or not it was bad, just that it's real.
>>
Where do you think you are?
>>
Reminder that only underaged Redditors care about a change in artstyle
>>
File: honor_fists.gif (83KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
honor_fists.gif
83KB, 250x188px
Job well fucking done, OP. This is the kind of championship autism we've been missing.

You're not a faggot in my book.
>>
File: meaner, more imposing.png (565KB, 624x1100px) Image search: [Google]
meaner, more imposing.png
565KB, 624x1100px
>>28782163
>The earlier art style makes the Pokemon look meaner and more imposing
meh
>>
>>28782294
I agree with your conclusion but
>Lapras
just turns around and looks equally smug; neither is particularly mean or imposing.
>>
>>28782159
dude, all that's happening now is that we're seeing a reversal of the early gens.

Instead of more angry looking eyes, we are getting more rounded, softer ones. That's not killing anything, just the natural order of things
>>
>>28782574
>we are getting more rounded, softer ones
That's because pokemon has a style instead of just plain angry eyes all the time.
Different pokemon now have different expressions rather table just being all round and bubbly or all angular and basic.
>>
>>28782007
Because 90s monster design is nice.
>>
GOOD JOB MOBIUS ONE
>>
the trick is that sugimori actually isn't an exceptional artist or artistic director

he gave us dugtrio, magneton, palkia, dialga, sawk, throh, and the entire gear series

He is average at best and having him as artistic director was just a seniority thing, not a talent thing, which is really common in japanese companies and part of the reason they can have a shit time adapting
>>
>>28781694
>Modern anime art style is objectively more aesthetically pleasing

Not really, I prefer character designs like Utena to overly shiny shit like Love Live. Watching modern anime makes my eyes hurt so I most stick to things made between the 80s and 2006.
>>
>>28782574
I wouldn't call the change from a roughly 50-40 split to a 25-65 split much of a reversal. No it's not the end of the world, but it is definitely not above criticism. I mean I feel like I'm trying to argue against funko pops. I look at it and I see a lot of the same shit regurgitated in slightly different packaging, which of course is a view that doesn't have to be shared by anyone, but disregarding it's factual core (in this case: circular/oval eyes with a dot or a straight line though or a some extra glimmer being quite fucking similar) is too dismissive
>>
>>28782757
>Magneton
Woah there. The only reason anyone could think Magneton looks bad is because Magnemite exists. Looking at it on its own, in a vacuum, Magneton is one of the coolest pokemon to date; and I'm not even a genwunner. And most of the rest you mentioned aren't bad either, just not spectacular.
>>
>>28782574
>Instead of more angry looking eyes, we are getting more rounded, softer ones. That's not killing anything, just the natural order of things
This. Also, this change says a lot about how the way of thinking as change over the years.

At early gens pokémon were seen more as monsters, but now we see they as friendly creatures. Thats why we see more cutemons today.

Nice job, OP.
>>
File: gen 1.jpg (341KB, 1000x900px)
gen 1.jpg
341KB, 1000x900px
>>28781348
rate my strawman
>>
>>28782938
the 'pokemon is 3 of another pokemon' thing is one of the most criticized design choices

all of the other pokemon are ones that I've seen heavily criticized. If this were actually going by my taste the list would be much longer. Personally I think he's only designed like one good line.
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.