[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pokemon dub

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 1

File: Meowthmike.jpg (252KB, 635x423px) Image search: [Google]
Meowthmike.jpg
252KB, 635x423px
Seeing dub clips these days makes me wonder how kids still watch it. Western cartoons have much better voicacting than the current dub, Adventure Time(the only main one I've seen that's still on the air) for example is very well done.

The dub did get better for Diamond and Pearl. Barry, Dawn, Piplup, Paul, Roark, Gardenia and Nando being some characters I can remember off the top of my head who had good or at least acceptable for a dub voices.

The quality drop from Diamond and Pearl to Best Wishes is jarring. Almost all of the voices are insufferable.

When I was younger myself and people at school noticed the change of the voices and none of us liked it. It's not as if kids are too stupid to get what's going on.

Just because something is made with children in mind doesn't mean it needs to be shit.
>>
Watch these two episodes
https://youtu.be/afXCt336zcs
https://youtu.be/vLViOeyz0lg
>>
>>28746927
Even 10 years later, and I still thing 4Kids was actually better at dubbing the Pokemon Anime than TPCi has been.

TPCi's earlier dub is garbage by comparison, but compare that to...their current dubbing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS-u1rVFoYU
>>
>>28746921
Why did you take my post and make a new thread with it? The anime discussion thread is perfectly fine.
>>
>>28746927
Compare these two intros:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2a7GJNZz6c (4Kids)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzmW8z12OW0 (TPCi)

Compare how much Japanese music is kept in these two episodes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cowljMTxqWU (4Kids, 100% OST Kept)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYsn7RGabsY (TPCi, 3% OST Kept)

The Pokemon dub is utter trash since TPCi took over, and I'm surprised some people here still defend it for whatever reason.
>>
>>28747144
Watching the dub is perfectly fine
>>
>>28747144
>TPCi dub
>trash
Nice meme
>>
>>28747216
There's nothing fine about the blatantly terrible voice acting, horrid script rewrites, and almost all the Japanese OST wiped out, with shorter intros, which is what characterizes the current (horrible) TPCi dub.

The 4Kids dub, however, that is actually tolerable since it didn't suffer from any of those issues, just with dumb edits/errors on occasion (which TPCi also does anyway in the current dub).

Here's another example of how far the dub has sunk- compare Team Rocket's dialogue in these two clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rw1EsnvyAY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwLCWoEVOds
>>
American cartoons are in ost cases not dubbed. The voice actors act out their script and when the recording is done the animations are based on it to make it look as flawless as possible.
Then you have Japanese cartoons which are animated first and then you have the voice actors do their job. This can end up horribly sometimes.
>>
>>28746927
Better phoned in Ash from Natochenny than the chain smoker voice she ended up using for the rest of her run, sadly, even the phoned in take she did was closer to Taylor than what she's stuck with.

May sounds like a whore in the TPCi dub, desu. It's Delia who sounds trans.

Max sounds like an old lady with a cold.

Even BF's opening is leagues ahead of this garbage, though yes, it's when the OPs begin to get significantly worse, like the dub:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzmW8z12OW0

Also, you forgot:

>Head cold James
>Dr. Namba Meowth
>Teenage girl Jessie
>Gruff, gravelly Brock

And the worst part is this whole cast in general has gotten even worse 10 years later and they keep less of the Japanese music than ever now.
>>
>>28747300
>TPCi dub
>Not trash

It is literally low budget garbage with zero production value behind it, and suffers from even more issues than the previous dub did. I've already given examples of how terrible it is, but I can give plenty more.
>>
>>28747333
>I can give plenty more
Please do
>>
The TPCi dub is better than the 4kids dub you dumbass
>>
>>28746921

It's a shame really.

Some of the original castings from D/P were actually solid but now they don't even have that anymore.

The recast voices were never good that said, all miscast.
>>
>>28747439
The TPCi dub is far worse than the 4Kids dub, you moron, and unlike you, people here have actually given reasons why. You don't even have anything you can use at this point to defend your point, and that's just sad, because that's how bad TPCi's dub has gotten.

>>28747366
Gladly.

Compare this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI_bOop4N08 (Actually keeps the Japanese OST intact, script is faithfully translated, voice acting is good)
To this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGeiPwFflDY (Keeps almost none of the Japanese OST intact, script is poor with various cuts made, voice acting is horrible)
>>
The dub dumped its tolerable crew for the "sound-alikes" off the street when TAJ took over and they refused to change back to the competent cast, then DuArt took over and made the dub even worse than it was with TAJ starring Jimmy Zoppi's "TR, My Way is Funniest" dialogue along with the already shit dialogue he gives Ash & co, and in XY, the dub has begun replacing more of the Japanese OST than it ever did before.

The dub is absolute shit now: verifiable shit.
>>
>>28746944
I don't know. Even with the bad delivery, I think it's good that ash sounds less try-hard. I can't decide if it's worse than TPCi's battle frontier dub.
>>
>>28747489
I agree, though I must say, the Pokemon's dub voices themselves took a nosedive in BW-XYZ. Try listening to a TPCi retarded Aerodactyl, throat cancer Charmander, Fat Albert Beeheyem, Gollum Greninja, Jock Talonflame, and Scooby Dooby Goodra.

Even the Pokemon's voices are worse than they were in the 4Kids dub now...how do you even fuck that up?

>>28747579
I like how you're copying and pasting stuff from the other thread, and I still agree with all of it.
>>
>>28747599
The 4Kids dub is shit.
>>
>>28747599
I'd say it's worse in general since TPCi Ash sounds like a woman who smokes now rather than a dull girly-boy like he did in Battle Frontier. They're both garbage, but the apathetic masculine voice fits more than the effeminate, raspy smoker voice he has now.
>>
There is a lot of potential for the anime in the west. Of course that 95% of the work in the anime is done by japs, but TPCi could
>do a good job by actually dedicating themselves to it
>promote it better
>air it on a good slot, to hell with CN if they don't want to, there's youtube and the pokemon website for fucks sake

Why are they so lazy? There surely is potential money to be made with this.
>>
>>28747636
The TPCi dub was, is, and will always be shit. The 4Kids dub was tolerable.
>>
>>28747710
4Kids shill pls go
>>
>>28747703
TPCi literally don't give a fuck as long as the ratings are "good" (though ever declining, I might add, they can't even get 1 million viewers in XYZ's dub run), a fact former director Tom "The Rapist" Wayland can attest to (see 2:50 of this video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBnHSkTjXJQ

It would literally kill them to hire better voice actors, script writers, stop butchering the Japanese music, make longer intros, etc. TPCi don't give af how badly they handle the dub, and the worst part is, there are idiots who defend this tripe.
>>
>>28747741
TPCi shill pls go

You've offered zero reasons for why your crappy TPCi dub is so good, so let's here them...oh wait, you have none, you've been BTFO in this whole thread with cold, hard facts.

Unless this is Cathcart again? If so, fuck off.
>>
>>28747710
It's almost as if using a third party studio who specializes in localization results in a dub that's actually kinda listenable.
>>
I do care about the dub, but I have no reason to watch the dub, because TPCi's dub has:

>Inferior and significantly worse voice acting
>Inferior dialogue/script adaptation
>Keeps less of the Japanese music intact than the 4Kids dub did
>Has shorter intros than the 4Kids dub did

And the cherry on top is that TPCi still makes both paint edits to Japanese text in the Series and the errors are still made to this day with their dub just like 4Kids did, so even that has not gotten any better.

Overall, fuck the current Pokemon dub at this point, it's not worth it when I can enjoy the actually enjoyable subs with based Rica Matsumoto.
>>
>>28747846
I'm actually surprised 4Kids did such a better job- when this happened with DBZ, FUNimation ended up being better than Ocean, but the reverse is true for Pokemon, which under TPCi's reign, has had the dub get even worse over time.

At this point, I have no reason to watch the dub, because TPCi's dub has:

>Inferior and significantly worse voice acting
>Inferior dialogue/script adaptation
>Keeps less of the Japanese music intact than the 4Kids dub did
>Has shorter intros than the 4Kids dub did

And the cherry on top is that TPCi still makes both paint edits to Japanese text in the Series and the errors are still made to this day with their dub just like 4Kids did, so even that has not gotten any better.

Overall, fuck the current Pokemon dub at this point, it's not worth it when I can enjoy the actually enjoyable subs with based Rica Matsumoto.
>>
Why the fuck is the dub so shit? Isn't Pokemon a big million dollar property? Where does the money go?
>>
>>28747935
Into the pockets of businessmen?

Why overextend your money over a product if the public eats this shit anyway?
>>
>>28747950
TPCi literally know they can Jew out because there are retards who will still eat their shit raw regardless of how horrendous it is. If you shat out performances like the TPCi James or Goodra does, you'd have your ass on the road in a minute in any dub studio that values even the slightest bit of quality. Since DuArt doesn't give af how badly they handle it, this shitty dubbing is allowed to continue.
>>
Expect the SM dub to be shit, since we're dubfagging here, you were warned- TPCi will try to lure some idiots here into thinking they've changed by keeping the OST in whatever crappy preview CN does of it, and then they'll shit them up with dub music like they did with XY anyway because why not?

Again, you were warned.
>>
How do we save the dub?
>>
>>28748095
The only way to force TPCi/DuArt to increase the quality of the dub is for them to lose ratings/viewership, Anon, so simply do not watch their dub on TV when it airs on Saturdays- that alone will help tremendously.
>>
>>28748146
>that alone will help tremendously
Yea because its mostly adults giving them views
>>
>>28748166
Compare the fact the dub had millions of viewers in its earlier years and can't even get 1 million viewers throughout XYZ's dub, Anon, the dent getting larger in TPCi's dub viewership will cause them to make some changes.

Remember when they actually didn't fuck the first 5 episodes of BW as badly as they do their usual crap by keeping the OST with no shitty dialogue minus Ash's "That's a fire type: nice and fiery" line? Do you want that back, or the cancerously bad XY-XYZ dub for SM?
>>
>>28748220
Most shows on CN can't break a million viewers.
>>
>>28748279
That's not really an excuse considering even the BF, DP, BW and early part of XY's dubs broke a million viewers: middle of XY to XYZ can't even get that much.
>>
The ratings speak for themselves: the dub is bad, and it gets lower ratings than it used to as well. That's basically the point.
>>
>>28748095
Move it off of Cartoon Network and onto streaming service. That'll give the dub a little more flexibility, especially in terms of the OP and ED and the original music. If at all possible,the dub should move studios from DuArt too, either to Funimation, Studiopolis or Bang Zoom! who specialize in anime.
>>
>>28748310

Yes it is. If the channel is suffering as a whole, obviously all of the shows it airs are going to suffer regardless of their individual quality, sure, some may be more popular than others, but it isn't the main factor at play. If you actually analyzed the channel's ratings beyond just Pokemon you'd know this.

You know why those older seasons had more viewers? Because TV in general was doing a whole lot fucking better back then, it had fuck all to do with the show's production values, nobody notices that shit but autists. Two years ago, breaking two million was considered the goalpost for the channel's primetime premieres, two years before that, three million was the goalpost, now, it's one million, and the majority of shows are having a hard time breaking it.
>>
>>28748480
The dub in general was also of vastly higher quality in its earlier years, too, I think that would be a notable factor you glossed over. The rest is true, though, I'm not denying it but take a look at the ratings for the dub then and now- there's been a large drop.
>>
>>28748411
Fucking this. Just get the dub out of NYC by any means necessary at this point, because it's clear it'll get even worse if it stays there.
>>
The japanese OST sucks you cock gobbling faggot.

Ash sounds more like a boy in the TPCi dub, only turbonerds care that he's voiced by a smoking woman, or that rapist voice director, that has VERY LITTLE TO DO WITH THE ACTUAL QUALITY.

And Alliteration is better than the mountains upon mountains of puns 4kids shoved in my ear canals.

Get your ears cleaned out, they're too full of 4kids cum for you to hear clearly.
>>
>>28748513

>The dub in general was also of vastly higher quality in its earlier years, too

This is what faggots actually believe.
>>
>>28748939
It was, you moron, compare the two and a 5 year old could come to that conclusion. The dub has, throughout its run, made errors & edits. What has gotten worse over the years is the voice acting, dialogue, music replacement, and intro length & quality, though.

You don't need to be a genius to realize the dub was bearable then and it isn't now.
>>
>>28748959
I compared the two. The newer dub is better.

Which is the conclusion anyone with an IQ over 50 would get as well.
>>
>>28748959
Watch the two now.

4kids dub does not hold up anymore you fucking retard.
>>
>>28748982
>Less of the Japanese OST kept
>Chain smoking woman as the voice of Ash
>Rapist voice director for 7.5 years
>Old man with cold James voice
>Shitty rhyme, slang, alliteration filled dialogue

The older dub didn't have this shit: the newer one does. Your IQ must be below 50 if you believe what you said is true.
>>
>>28749007
I have watched them, and the 4Kids dub is substantially more watchable and holds up much better. It's not great, but it's decent, and that beats the horrible acted, non directed, horrendously scripted, UFO music filled, 29 second long intro done, TPCi dub.
>>
>>28749064
>4kids dubs
>watachable
Anon I..
>>
>>28749081
>TPCi dub
>Watchable
>Landed in Top 10/5 Worst English dubs on 3 different lists, even one by AnimeAmerica acknowledging the 4Kids dub was better

Shit excuse.

>>28748918
>Japanese OST sucks

Fucking retard, enjoy your UFO elevator shit.

>Ash sounds more like a boy

Fucking retard: he sounds like a chain smoking woman in the TPCi dub, not a boy. You're deaf.

>Alliteration is better

So I suppose the current dub shitting out puns like "A Trip Down Memory Train" is excusable, too? They still do it, idiot.

Your ears are too full of TPCi cum to even make a logical argument at this point: the fact you dissed the Japanese OST for Goldfarb's crap tells me your grasping at straws.
>>
>>28749187
>AnimeAmerica

lol

It all makes sense now.
>>
>>28749187
Oh wow opinion lists. 4kids as a whole was fucking shit. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.
>>
>>28749187
I'm convinced that you're just too braindead or blinded by your nostalgia for 4kids to realize how much better the dub is under TPCi.
>>
>>28748918
>japanese OST sucks
It does, but the dub is even worse, I dont see much of a difference between 4kids and tpci, both are just lazy.
>>
>>28749236
And TPCi is even worse fucking shit, they can't even do one dub right to this day.

>>28749253
>nostalgia

Not this shit, I prefer a dub where the crew don't sound like chain smokers and the script isn't laden with some old man's idea of humor, 4Kids > TPCi.
>>
>>28749278
>Don't see much difference

The difference is so obvious that it hurts. Even the Origins dub is a thousand times better than the shitty TPCi Anime dub.
>>
>>28749419
You prefer a dub where they change things for absolutely no reason including game characters names, confusing the fuck out of their audience by saying Arbok evolves into Seviper, and other general ineptitude.
>>
>>28749205
Forget them, there's 2 others who said the TPCi dub is shit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEv_f9BNvm0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NOiyi6zEkY
>>
>>28749462

You prefer a dub where they still change things for absolutely no reason including game characters names, confusing the fuck out of their audience by saying Houndoom is a Houndour, and other general ineptitude.

Double standards much? Also your TPCi's own Lawrence Neves is reponsible for the Arbok --> Seviper error in the 4Kids dub as confirmed by Maddie Blaustein on Serebii years ago, so fuck off.
>>
>>28749462
You prefer a dub where they still change things for absolutely no reason including game characters names, confusing the fuck out of their audience by saying Houndoom is a Houndour, and other general ineptitude.

Double standards much? Also your TPCi's own Lawrence Neves is reponsible for the Arbok --> Seviper error in the 4Kids dub as confirmed by Maddie Blaustein on Serebii years ago, so fuck off.
>>
>>28749479
Their opinions are shit too, I'm pretty sure both of them follow AnimeAmerica too.
>>
>>28749550
>Everyone's opinions are shit but my own!
>B-but more people think the current dub is shit than think it's good!
>>
>>28749581
Welcome to 4chan lad
>>
>>28749581
>TPCi Pokemon Dub is worse than Bakugan Battle Brawlers or Beyblade Metal Fusion dubs.

That's their opinion and I cannot agree with them on that.
>>
>>28749581
Why do you act like anybody else here is different?
>>
>>28749604
I know, Anon, but the dubfags still making excuses for TPCi's crappy dub make me laugh at this point.

They let TPCi get away with shit like this (censoring apples, peas, and carrots):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3TQKpVfEvo

But still bash the donut edit 4Kids did 18 years ago, even ignoring the fact 4Kids did call them rice balls a few times.

They let TPCi go with this shit as well (having a Voltorb saying it's an Electrode):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTEikeQgSP8

But then bash 4Kids for the very mistake TPCi's Lawrence Neves made with Arbok --> Seviper.
>>
>>28749632
I can see that stance, but TPCi Pokemon dub is obviously worse than the 4Kids one at this point, so that's what I'm getting at. Bakugan and Beyblade be damned, in this case.
>>
>>28749672
Nothing we can do about it my man, they are lazy goofs. Just deal with it, if you cant handle watching it then dont. Simple as that.
>>
Continue the discussion here: >>28750023
>>
Autism
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.