[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Inspired by a previous thread, I did the math to determine what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

File: 7ef.jpg (29KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
7ef.jpg
29KB, 600x600px
Inspired by a previous thread, I did the math to determine what the best and the worst offensive and defensive Type combinations are, purely from a numerical point of view. Hopefully I did everything correctly, but do call me a faggot if I fucked something up.

As far as defense is concerned, the question is very straightforward, and here are the results

Best defensive dual type : Steel/Fairy
>Resists Normal, Flying, Rock, Grass, Psychic, Ice, Dark, and Fairy – 8 Resistances
>Doubly resists Bug – 1 4x Resistance
>Immune to Poison and Dragon – 2 Immunities + Status immunity to being poisoned
>Weak to Ground and Fire – 2 Weaknesses
>Neutral to Fighting, Ghost, Steel, Water, and Electric – 5 Neutralities

Worst defensive dual types : Ice/Rock
>Resists Normal, Flying, Poison, and Ice – 4 Resistances
>Weak to Ground, Rock, Water and Grass – 4 Weaknesses
>Doubly weak to Fighting and Steel – 2 4x Weaknesses
>Neutral to Bug, Ghost, Fire, Electric, Psychic, Dragon, Dark and Fairy – 8 Neutralities

and

Ice/Grass
>Resists Ground, Water, Grass and Electric – 4 Resistances
>Weak to Fighting, Flying, Poison, Rock, Bug and Steal – 6 Weaknesses
>Doubly weak to Fire – 1 4x Weakness
>Neutral to Normal, Ghost, Psychic, Ice, Dragon, Dark and Fairy – 7 Neutralities

Ice/Grass has one less 4x weakness but two more regular weaknesses, so in the end the grading system gives them worst place ex-æquo.
Offense is a whole other story, because we need to determine what best even means in this context. After all, dual-typed Pokémon don't attack with a Flying Press-like attack that has both their types into one.
After some research, I also found out that types combos able to hit every monotype in the game for at least neutral are somewhat common, with Ice/Electric (the famous BoltBeam) but also many others such as Normal/Ghost, Dragon/Fire, Dragon/Water, Dragon/Electric, Dragon/Ground, Dragon/Ghost and a few more including the winners.

Continued in next post
>>
So the criteria we'll be using for offense is how many different monotypes a dual-type Pokémon could hit for Super Effective damage using his STABs, and inversely, for worse offensive type combo, how many different monotypes can actually resist both STABs.

Under these criteria, here are the results

Best offensive dual types : Fighting/Ice
>Can hit Normal, Flying, Ground, Rock, Steel, Grass, Ice, Dragon and Dark for Super Effective damage – 9 types
>Resisted by no single type
>Neutral against Fighting, Poison, Bug, Ghost, Fire, Water, Electric, Psychic and Fairy – 9 types

and

Ground/Ice
>Can hit Flying, Poison, Ground, Rock, Steel, Fire, Grass, Electric and Dragon for Super Effective damage – 9 types
>Resisted by no single type
>Neutral against Normal, Fighting, Bug, Ghost, Water, Psychic, Ice, Dark and Fairy – 9 types

Worst offensive dual type : Grass/Bug
>Can hit Ground, Rock, Water, Grass, Psychic and Dark – 6 types
>Resisted by Flying, Poison, Steel and Fire – 4 types
>Neutral against Normal, Fighting, Bug, Ghost, Electric, Ice, Dragon, and Fairy – 8 types

It's also interesting to note that the close second worst is actually Fighting/Bug, which is the ONLY other dual typing that's resisted by 4 different monotypes, but this one can hit 7 for Super Effective instead of 6.
>>
>>28735412
I never thought of an fighting ice type before.
>>
>>28735436
Put a snowman with boxing gloves on instead or ordinary gloves and bam
>>
Wonder what the best all around dual typing would be. I'd say water/fairy but idk.
>>
>>28735412
>So the criteria we'll be using for offense is how many different monotypes a dual-type Pokémon could hit for Super Effective damage

I think the number of actual pokemon its STABs hit for supereffective damage would be better. Something like choosing two on this:

http://pokemondb.net/tools/type-coverage
>>
>>28735542
My criteria definitely isn't that useful in an actual competitive sense since things like offensive and defensive abilities can be so important.
However, for what it is, the objective data is pretty interesting.

Trying Normal/Ghost on http://psypokes.com/dex/atktypeanalysis.php is pretty dope by the way
>>
>>28735542
Also, the math seems to check out even through actual dual types and abilities, since Fighting/Ice and Ground/Ice are the only one I can get to go over 400 super effective.
>>
>>28735748
well, you would have to also consider which ones are heavily resisted. One pairing might have
Supereffective: 421
Resisted: 300
Neutral: 0

Which is clearly worse than
Supereffective:420
Resisted: 0
Neutral: 301
>>
File: 1364060805884.jpg (121KB, 417x318px) Image search: [Google]
1364060805884.jpg
121KB, 417x318px
>>28735843
Absolutely.

For anyone too lazy to actually try themselves

Ground/Ice is
Super effective on 421
Neutral on 377
Resisted by 1 (fucking SURSKIT)
No effect on 1

As for Fighting/Ice

Super effective on 408
Neutral on 364
Not very effective on 27
No effect on 1

Which, not only narrows down Ground/Ice as absolute best offensive type once and for all with Fighting/Ice on second position, but also means Ground/Ice is fucking horrifying holy shit. Thank God Mamoswine isn't faster.
>>
>>28735915
Too bad it doesn't tally 4x hits vs 2x or 1/2 vs 1/4.

Might make a tailwind/trick room mamoswine team based on this.
>>
File: Wimpod.full.2020805.jpg (715KB, 1280x1490px) Image search: [Google]
Wimpod.full.2020805.jpg
715KB, 1280x1490px
>>28735915
Based Wimpod is our only hope the day John GamFreak does too many drugs and creates a 600 BST Ground/Ice pseudo.

>>28735989
The horror would only grow, what with the fucking number of things that take 4x from Ice, and the fewer but still existing that take 4x from Ground
>>
Interesting that OP's math holds up so well with the actual PokémonDB tool results.
Can't seem to find any type more resisted than Bug/Grass indeed (walled by 182 Pokémon)
>>
>>28735405
>>28735915
Based Mawile, Klefki and Mamoswine
>>
>>28735504
Definitely want to find that out too, will take a bit more time
>>
>>28735915
Those numbers don't take Levitate into consideration tho, then you'd have to add 3 Rotom forms, Cryogonal and Bronzong to the resisted list.
And move some SE to Neutral like Eelektross and Gengar.

Still and impressive type combination.
>>
Sorry you wasted your time calculating this anon.

This site has had this info forever.
pokemondb
>>
File: Screenshot.png (16KB, 1051x249px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot.png
16KB, 1051x249px
>>28736470
Oh hey, you're absolutely right.
Pokémondatabase tripped me up by taking Shedinja into account, so I thought it would do the same for all abilities.
>>
File: 584648678648.jpg (398KB, 551x600px) Image search: [Google]
584648678648.jpg
398KB, 551x600px
Following up on >>28736463

Made some more calcs as to the overall strength of each type counting both offense and defense.
Being super effective on something is a +1, being NVE on something is a -1, not affecting something is a -2, resisting something is a +1, being weak against something is a -1, and being immune to something is a +2

Got it ? Here's what we get, assuming that once again I didn't fuck up

Normal : -3
Fighting : -2
Flying : +2
Poison : -1
Ground : +3
Rock : 0
Bug : -4
Ghost : +4
Steel : +8
Fire : +3
Water : +2
Grass : -5
Electric : -1
Psychic : -3
Ice : -3
Dragon : -1
Dark : -2
Fairy : +3

So the best type combination combining offense and defense should be something that picks two between Ground, Ghost, Steel, Fire and Fairy.

I'll look into it more
>inb4 best overall typing is Smogonsword
>>
>>28736883
And people say Masuda is too generous towards Water. Fucking Steel, man...
>>
>>28736883
poor psychic
you used to be the best
neutral vs steel when
>>
File: Welp.png (29KB, 1238x291px) Image search: [Google]
Welp.png
29KB, 1238x291px
What's the verdict ?
>>
>>28737770
Gotta be Ground/Steel or Ghost/Fire
>>
>>28735436
>Snow leopard as an agile fighter
but they already have littenlucha as fighting feline, so
>Russian looking bear
Moves styled after Zangief
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.