[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lets talk about pokemon that are just unusually good for a playthrough

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: Poncho_Dugtrio.png (1MB, 1174x881px) Image search: [Google]
Poncho_Dugtrio.png
1MB, 1174x881px
Lets talk about pokemon that are just unusually good for a playthrough of the game. Not counting uber tier pokemon.

Dugtrio in Gen 1

>In a cave really close to surge ready to hard counter him
>Can be caught at over level 30 while almost any other wild pokemon isn't even level 20 yet
>You can give him DIG, a move as powerful as earthquake before you've gotten your 3rd badge
>He's so fast he virtually outspeeds all your opponents. He also has a higher than average crit rate because of his speed.
>He is super effective against sometimes all or a majority of the remaining gymleaders teams with the exception of sabrina after you catch him and thus can beat all of the remaining gym leaders by himself.

The only downside I can think of for dugtrio is that he's harder to catch than the average pokemon and can wipe out your team before you've managed to catch him
>>
>solos 3/4 of the unova E4 without any effort.
>>
>>28725163
If this happened in a newer game you'd complain all day. To not talk about how in gen 1 Surge has literally no moves against ground types and how Dugtrio can solo Agatha since the ghosts don't have levitate.
>>
File: 250px-560Scrafty.png (43KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-560Scrafty.png
43KB, 250x250px
>>28725230
>>
File: 250px-666Vivillon.png (57KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-666Vivillon.png
57KB, 250x250px
>>
>>28725238
>If this happened in a newer game you'd complain all day.
It would never happen in a new game because dugtrio was too hard to catch.They would just hand it to you for free with a megastone/z-stone attached
>>
Why not nidoran? You can catch it early and have nidoking very early in the game. Drillbur is also broken in gen V.
>>
>>28725280
>wooow i watched speedruns where they solo the game with a nidoking it must be broken

i hope you also realize that they manipulate the shit out of the game to make sure that nidoking is a speshul snowflake and will be able to solo the game you dingus
>>
>>28725308
What the fuck are you talking about even without perfect DVs a nidoking is still a fucking beast ingame, and on top of that it's easy to catch early to maximize its EVs. And it certainly has more coverage than dugtrio. Sure a lot of shit is weak to ground but not everything.
>>
>>28725163
His major downside is his shit tier defenses.

35/50/70?

Yikes.
>>
>>28725163
Mudkip and its evos can pretty much carry you through RSE by themselves, even without being overleveled.
>>
>>28725378
same thing with feraligator and many other mons in every gen

geez it's almost like pokemon is a piss easy game and you can solo with whichever as long as you overlevel!
>>
Abra is even more broken in gen 1. just grind a little to get it to 16 and it gets confusion, and by the time confusion stops blowing everything the fuck out, it's already learned psybeam, and you can also immediately get Alakazam if you have a second cartridge on hand

>>28725341
only if you waste tms

Nidoking is hot garbage without them
>>
>>28725259
>because dugtrio was too hard to catch
Yeah right.
>>
>>28725427
>even without being overleveled.

>you can solo with whichever as long as you overlevel!
>as long as you overlevel!
Are you stupid?
>>
>>28725478
having to throw pokeballs at a higher level pokemon is still harder than being handled it for free during the story my silly autistic lastgenner friend
>>
>>28725521
>Are you stupid?
I'm not, are you? Guess you are. Every solo playthrough ends up with the pokemon overleved, even Mudkip. It's almost like the game wasnt designed to have all the experience going to just one pokemon.
>>
>>28725549
I specifically said that Mudkip could solo the game even if he wasn't overleveled. is it too hard to understand?
>>
>>28725251
Yes yes, that bug.
Honestly though it'd suffer from first bug syndrome, but it turnes out to be one of my team's strongeat members

compound eyes, sleep powder quiver dance, sub, hurricane.
He was a total boss.
>>
File: 1458517863779.gif (981KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1458517863779.gif
981KB, 500x375px
>>28725163
I don't know about the originals but the Gastly line can wreck shit in HGSS. Granted, you have to struggle with lick for a while, but then you get night shade and eventually it starts owning everything. You get the TM for sludge bomb for free and it learns Shadow ball naturally. Not to mention the wide amount of tms it can learn.
>>
>>28725344
While it is true that dugtrio had bad defenses, consider that he could run through entire teams of almost all the gym leaders without taking enough damage to be knocked out. The trainers in comparison are a cake walk. Most of the trainers in the game use unevolved pokemon that are 0ko'd by dugtrio before they can do anything to it.

The only pokemon I could think of that might give dugtrio any sort of trouble are the hypnos that can live his dig. Maybe the machokes used by the bikers if they live the dig and hit with karate chops or submissions.

But really what little resistance the game gives dugtrio you can just easily handle with the rest of your team. I know you can say this about any pokemon but its just especially true for dugtrio.

The elite four does give him trouble though. Thats about the only real downside I can think of.
>>
>>28725378
it's incredible how much Game freak fucked up the balance between starter mons in gens 3 and 4, especially considering they pretty much nailed it in gen 1.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.