[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Dark type (Japanese: あくタイプ Evil type) >west

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9

File: IMG_0527.jpg (90KB, 720x576px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0527.jpg
90KB, 720x576px
>Dark type (Japanese: あくタイプ Evil type)
>west needs to censor the word "evil"

Yes I'm still mad.
>>
>>28692419
Why? Dark is actually a better name for the type, considering most of them have to do with the night, and there aren't any that are actually evil.

Not everything has to be a direct translation, you fucking weeb.
>>
>>28692419
i don't think they necessarily censored but rather adapted, i mean, would you call absol evil?
Also, in other languages they again adapted the name of the type, in spanish dark type is called sinister, which fits pretty well i think.
>>
>>28692419
Dark is better, Pokemon aren't evil. It doesn't fit that well outside of "Dark" Team Rocket Pokemon that happened before Dark type was an actual thing.
>>
>Fairy Type (Japanese:
ゲイのタイプ Faggot type)
>west needs to censor the word "faggot"

Yes I'm still mad.
>>
File: Dark-type moves.png (126KB, 1416x1275px) Image search: [Google]
Dark-type moves.png
126KB, 1416x1275px
>>28692470

They're "evil" because of the fighting tactics they use. They don't play fair.
>>
>>28692572
fighting dirty and being evil are two different things, anon.
>>
File: HNI_0066.jpg (8KB, 247x204px) Image search: [Google]
HNI_0066.jpg
8KB, 247x204px
>>28692419
>Being mad over, 'censorship.'
>>
>>28692470
>you're a weeb because my reinterpretation is supposedly correct
wew
>>
>>28692610
Yeah, and "evil" isn't a good contextual translation of あく in this context either. "Sinister", like Spain apparently used, is more correct.

But saying the "dark type" has to do with literal lack of light is just incorrect.
>>
>Absol tries to warn people about natural disasters
>Darkrai lives alone on an island so it can't hurt anyone
>Pangoro doesn't tolerate bullying
>>
>>28692419
At least in english it isn't called "nocturnal type" like it is in portuguese
>>
>>28692690
>But saying the "dark type" has to do with literal lack of light is just incorrect.

To be fair there are two moves that have to do with literal darkness.

Dark Void and Night Daze aren't "evil" or "sinister", they just mention actual darkness.
>>
>>28695442

Not added until the Physical/Special split.

The original idea for the type was just dirty fighting, similar to how Fighting had to branch up from hand to hand fighting and include ki attacks like Aura Sphere and Focus Blast.

Meanwhile, all of the moves with "Shadow" in their name are Ghost type.
>>
>>28695442
And those weren't added until 3 whole generations later.
>>
>>28695771
>what is Shadow type
>>
>>28695794
I mean.... Dark wasn't in gen 1...
>>
>>28692572
Except Dark Void and Night Daze refer to literal darkness. Dark is a better name for the type than "Evil" is.
>>
>>28692419
Pokemon is one of the few Japanese franchises where every single western name is 100% objectively better than the original.

>calling a Pokemon "It is a mystery"
>Starfish Man -> Starmie
>two Pokemon in one gen called Thunder & Thunders
>Blastoise is literally "Turtle X"
>Pidgeotto literally "Pigeon"
>Krabby literally "Crab"
And that's just gen 1
>>
>>28695927
>>28695442
>>28692690

Yes, there's a whole lot of inconsistencies when you involve the Shadow mons, Dark-types and Ghost-types.

Honestly the physical/special split ruined a lot of the "lore" reasons for typing. Ghost moves should never have been physical, Dark moves should never have been special.
>>
>>28692548
I think you mean ホモのタイプ
>>
>>28696281
But before the split all dark moves were special, which is stupid because the majority of dark types were physical. I have no idea what they were thinking. especially when they made sneasel, it couldn't use either of its stabs
>>
>>28692572
woah I just realized that every single dark type attack has a secondary effect
>>
File: see that's where you're wrong.png (328KB, 538x556px) Image search: [Google]
see that's where you're wrong.png
328KB, 538x556px
>>28692572
>>28692610
Evil is always the loser. It's the victor who has justice, the victor being the last one standing. And how you win in battle is irrelevant.
>>
>>28696648
>no Justice type
>Fighting types are either bulging muscle homoerotic wrestlers or furshit
>>
File: Justified.png (42KB, 947x701px) Image search: [Google]
Justified.png
42KB, 947x701px
>>28696823

>Swords of JUSTICE are Fighting-type
>Their ability is called Heart of JUSTICE in Japanese
>>
>>28692610
And yet.
悪 あく (n) evil; wickedness; (P)
"Aku" still means evil or wicked.
>>
>>28696884
And I quote
>Fighting types are either bulging muscle homoerotic wrestlers or furshit
>>
>>28695987
I'm pretty sure the people that came up with both the type and the moves know what they were going for better than you, anon.
>>
>>28696899
Which does not describe how dark type fights. They're more akin to 'ruthless' or 'underhandedness'. Context is key here.
>>
>>28697209
"Sinister" honestly seems like the best translation.
>>
>>28695987
The question is, would you have made that argument if the type HAD been called "sinister" or whatever in English all along?
>>
>>28692419
IMO dark is better anyways since some dark pokemon are simply associated with a lack of light, like sableye and Alola's (now nocturnal) rattata. Evil makes more sense with the personality trait dark pokemon like spiritomb and Alola's (now supercilious even for a cat) meowth.
>>
>>28697248
It really doesn't quite fit the description of dark types though. This is one of those multi-facet definitions here. It clearly doesn't mean evil. Dark is the best word I can think up of to describe them all.
>>
>>28697280
This.
Come on, nobody would have been sitting there going "The Sinister type should have been called Dark because Dark Void involves literal darkness" if NoA had used that translation to begin with.
>>
File: DarkMagician-TF05-JP-VG-5.png (259KB, 544x544px) Image search: [Google]
DarkMagician-TF05-JP-VG-5.png
259KB, 544x544px
>>28692419
>Dark Magician (Japanese: あくタイプ Black Magician)
>west needs to censor the word "black"

>Thunderbolt (Japanese: あくタイプ Lightningbolt)
>west needs to censor the word "lightning"
>>
"Dark" fits best.

People fixate on types as if they mean one, and only one absolute thing, when in reality types convey a multitude of things. It wouldn't make sense to limit themselves in that way.. if they wanted to create a fungus, itd make more sense to just group it in with Grass instead of making a "Fungi type".

Dark types encompass dirty fighting (Payback, Sucker Punch, etc..), the brutality of nature (Hydreigon, Tyranitar. etc...), and literal darkness (Umbreon, Night Daze, etc..). There is some overlap with Ghosts, as a lot of Ghosts are actively damning to the living ("evil"), and are also associated with the night.

"Dark" is a good catch-all for that type, as dark can refer to both a tone and actual measure of light. It fits well.
>>
File: 1473376390201.jpg (117KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1473376390201.jpg
117KB, 1920x1080px
>>28697427
this nigga
top tier post
>>
File: Releasing pokemon.gif (491KB, 400x306px) Image search: [Google]
Releasing pokemon.gif
491KB, 400x306px
>>28697427
>types convey a multitude of things

This.

Ghost is another good example.

Some are stated to be formerly living things, like yamask and drifloon, and some just exhibit ghostly qualities, like Gastly and Golurk.

Granted, Golurk's power source could be formerly living things.
>>
>>28697971
>Some are stated to be formerly living things, like yamask and drifloon, and some just exhibit ghostly qualities, like Gastly and Golurk.

Yeah. Another good example is Alolan Marowak, which uses Ghost as an "elemental", so to speak.
>>
>>28697248
That's the spanish translation
>>
>>28696458
It's because they're underhanded.
>>
>>28697390
Cool copypasting
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.