[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the dust has settled, what's /vp/'s opinion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 9

File: image.jpg (67KB, 455x309px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67KB, 455x309px
Now that the dust has settled, what's /vp/'s opinion on HGSS?
>>
A good update of a fucked up game

Too bad ORAS couldn't get the treatment it deserved.
>>
>>28645733
Overall mediocre.
Too many gimmicks but not enough legitimate content. Time based events also did the game no favours this time round because it was in real time.
>>
>>28645733
Pretty good. A great remake desu.
>>
Decent enough. Got a lot of good content that improves the original, but has enough problems too hinder it from being amazing
>>
>>28645733
Very flawed, and could have been a lot better if they had focused more on the game and not the gimmicks.
>>
just decent, kinda boring. region lacks of everything,
>>
Still the best Pokemon game made so far.
>>
Best Pokemon remake.

Possibly one of the best Pokemon games as well.
>>
>>28645733
meh
>>
>>28645733
Before this summer people called it the best games arguably with BW2. Especially before ORAS

It's in my top 3 personally, but level curve and mon distrubtion always leave a sour taste. Other than that it had a huge amount of heart and effort put into it with every nook and cranny

Sacred Gold is fucking perfection. Best rom hacks if they worked better.
>>
Great game bogged down by a shit level curve. Literally only the only people defend the level curve are autists who enjoy grinding and feeling like there is difficulty in a game designed for babies.
>>
>>28645733
Needs a little work, but an easy complete dex/difficulty patch/hack make the games flawless.

You can't fix X and Y though. Still haven't played a good hack of it, people even try reworking the story entirely or when you fight your rivals
>>
>>28645733

Good remake of the best game in the series.
>>
>>28645733
I still prefer the original, and them taking out Kris in favor of a fucking mario cosplayer did no favors.
>>
I'd summarize HGSS as ''wasted opportunity'.

It had the potential of being the best Pokémon game out there.
Pokéathlon was a fun mini game, berry pots were convenient, Safari Zone was interesting, Apricorn balls are still the best looking balls, and the game is massive in theory, with 2 regions. Pokémon following you is a cute feature, albeit unnecessary.

GameFreak failed in fixing some problems GSC had though, mainly that terrible level curve before facing the E4, and failing to make Kanto a true region, instead of the ghost, boring region we had. Doesn't help either when 4/8 Johto gym leaders use only Kanto Pokémon, when there's Johto Pokémon that are available to use.
>>
>we hate HGSS now

fuck this board
>>
>>28646206
What didn't they include from Kanto, I've never understood this criticism
>>
>>28646206
I'd move the safari zone down to fix seeing as the mechanics were absolutely atrocious and never fully explained to you.
Pokeathlon needed a lot more variety too. Having events be in more than one category made things boring.

>>28646235
People have had qualms since day one back on /v/. If you can't handle a little criticism then you can go back to whatever hole you crawled out from.
>>
>>28646328
No we fucking didn't.

It wasn't until this summer you cunt
>>
>>28646235
I think this type of thread attracts an inordinately high ratio of dissenters. Popular opinion around seems to always have HGSS, Platinum and B2W2 as the S tier Pokemon games.
>>
>>28646286
Most of the dungeons that were removed due to space limitations. However, they don't have that constraint and could have easily implemented them back into the game and expanded them.

On that note they could have also expanded on the changed areas too.
>>
>>28646364
This.

>>28646235
There was a game rate thread yesterday, HGSS was in most of the top 3's

Check the archive
>>
>>28646380
But they restored unknown dungeon and Virdian Forest. What was missing? They added and fixed a lot

and expanded mount silver
>>
>>28646359
Someone wasn't there when the game was leaked. In any case, none of this is new and in fact its only in these last few years that HGSS has shot up to the top spot. In the early days of /VP/ it wasn't even this highly rated.
>>
>>28645901
This. It will probably never be topped.
>>
>>28646364
And Emerald, don't forget that.
>>
>>28646206
" 4/8 Johto gym leaders use only Kanto Pokémon"

You mean Gen 2 pokemon. If it's in the Johto Pokedex, it's a Johto Pokemon. WHich is why I never found that to be a big deal

I also think Kanto is perfectly fine. HGSS has the best version of Kanto.

>>28646235
No, we dont
>>
>>28646448
Pokemon tower
Power Plant
Pokémon mansion
The rest of Mt. Moon
The original victory road.

There's no reason why they couldn't have done some light retconning to bring them back.
>>
Pretty great. Favorite battle frontier, though it shares that with Plat.
>>
HG/SS are shit, but that's because G/S/C were irredeemably bad. They were just lazy cash-ins on the genwun fad. They probably did their best with what they had to work with.
>>
Catching Entei, Raikou and Suicune was less cancerous

that's my 2 cents
>>
>>28646602
I disagree, but that's ok
>>
>>28646636
Its still pretty cancerous seeing as they carry roar.
>>
It's good, but not without its flaws. It did an excellent job of revamping a widely-beloved game (and my first generation) and ameliorating many of that game's issues. The expanded Kanto was much appreciated, and the Safari Zone helped the poor Regional Dex a bit, though not as much as I'd have liked. It also felt almost absurdly comfy. The loading screen splashes, the music, the overall aesthetic of the spritework, all top-notch and made Johto feel like the traditional, old-timey region it should. And making Evolution Stones more easily accessible is maybe the most underrated improvement HGSS made to GSC.

That said, it stumbled in some areas that prevented it from being... well, replayable, in my opinion. The Gyms are downright dull, using some of the most generic Kantomons in a good chunk of them. Ecruteak in particular suffers from this, with the entire Gym housing only three Pokemon between all the trainers and the Leader.

The insane amount of HMs spread about make navigating what would otherwise be a very comfortable region a painful chore. THREE Water HMs, two of which are nearly copies of each other but opposite in Phys/Spec category and one of which is useless, necessitate either an HM slave, a horribly gimped Water Pokemon, or two Water Pokemon on your team. Rock Smash and Rock Climb becoming HMs hurts even worse. 8 HMs fills up an entire third of your party's moves, which honestly is fucking unacceptable. You'll even find yourself using Flash on occasion, which is thankfully at least downgraded to TM.

It's a good game, even a great game, and a vast improvement on an already great-for-its-time game, but just a few irksome problems hold me back from touching it again after having beaten it. I still think of it fondly.
>>
>>28646670
G/S/C = no suction cups
HG/SS = suction cups

less cancerous
>>
>>28646727
Nothing that has suction cups has mean look so they can just run.
>>
File: 1299196898534.png (2MB, 1024x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1299196898534.png
2MB, 1024x1200px
HGSS have some really great stuff. But the games they are based on are pretty lackluster and they didn't do enough to differentiate them from those games.

For instance, a real-time clock and day/night cycles and tracking the days of the week is really cool! Stuff like going to the National Park for the Bug Catching Competition on Saturdays is really fun and adds a lot of character to the game. Stuff like having to track down a gym leader at a specific day of the week, time and place, is absolutely ludicrous. Pick a day or pick a time, not both.

The leveling curve in the latter half of the game is still abhorrent. This was their opportunity to fix the game and they just didn't take it.

They added a lot of personality to Johto in this game, but it still doesn't fix the key problem which is that, outside of a few locations, Johto is kind of boring.

However, almost all of the new features are great. Pokemon following you, New Score + GB Sounds, tons of cool legendary events, Pokeathalon minigames. The only new feature I didn't like was the Safari Zone- great idea, but the requirements for getting some of the rarer Pokemon were so arcane that I have a hard time believing anyone would ever figure it out on their own, which is not a good thing.

I love HGSS but they're not the masterpieces a lot of people make them out to be. They're just really good games. Due to simple quality of life improvements and a better base game, I think ORAS is the better set of games, but as a souped up remake of the original, HGSS pulls it off with a lot more style and impact for sure.
>>
>>28646578
Well for the first 3 those make sense in world.

Especially since one of them burned to the ground.

But yeah, they did screw over those places. At least Mt moon has a cool Clefairy event that looks nice
>>
>>28646727
>>28646751
Is there anything that gets the combination of at least one from each of these two categories?

A.
>Suction Cups
>Soundproof
>Taunt

B
>Mean Look
>Spider Web
>Arena Trap
>Shadow Tag
>>
>>28646693
I disagree highly on the Hm thing. Hm use is so sparse in this game that I always love navigating the place. Outside one or two areas, Flash, Whirlpool, Rock Smash, Waterfall and Strength are almost entirely optional. Rock Climb is for post-game exploration, and Surf is good regardless. I'd only say Cut is overbearing.
>>
The best main series Pokemon game, but could've been perfect if they fixed the level curve
>>
>>28646757
>Well for the first 3 those make sense in world.
>Especially since one of them burned to the ground.
That's where the retconning comes into play.

That or they could have made sidequests relating to those areas like frequent hauntings at the Kanto radio tower.
>>
>>28646727
>>28646772
Just put it to sleep on one encounter and use a fast ball on the next
>>
>>28646824
>9.265% chance even at exactly 1 HP
yeah okay
>>
>>28646772
Nope.
>>
>>28646772
You can Encore with Wobbuffet if the roamer doesn't lead with Roar. 75% chance isn't too shabby.
>>
>>28646824
I just used Umbreon with mean look and baton pass into Cradily with Suction Cups

shit was complex but it worked
>>
>>28645733

>Doesn't limit evolutions
>Adds Pokethlon and Battle Frontier
>Beefs up Kanto
>Actually brought back missing content
>Berry pots

Miles better than the original
>>
>>28646874
>BPing a Mean Look
Actually pretty clever, noice.
>>
>>28646823
I mean, I would rather see the world change and grow and stuff, rather than stay the same

>frequent hauntings
That would be amazing though
>>
File: 1445992520252.jpg (55KB, 670x543px) Image search: [Google]
1445992520252.jpg
55KB, 670x543px
>>28645733
It's an improvement over GSC in every way except aesthetically (and that's just my opinion, I prefer GSC's graphics and music, probably due to nostalgia in at least some part). It's my favorite game in the mainline series.
>>
>>28646908
Could you call that growing though if they just simplified areas without an adequate explanation?

Going back to the radio tower, they must have had hundreds of pokemon corpses there. Fitting them into a single building isn't exactly a realistic explanation is it?

I'd rather there be secret areas like a basement in Pokemon Tower with some kind of link to the distortion world or a secret bunker for the mansion with data on something like Deoxys.
>>
>>28646994
You're asking way to much from a Pokemon game with not too much Dev time.

Like, no other game has done that, why is that HGSS's flaw?

I wouldn't be against it

Also

>sinplified areas
I think you mean removed asides from Mt. Moon and victory road. Which have complete overhauls
>>
>>28647033
>Like, no other game has done that, why is that HGSS's flaw?
BW2 and even ORAS to an extent did just that after all you could explore the ruins of Plasma's castle and even find N's room and in ORAS there were parts that explained infinity energy and its relation to the cannon as well as expanding the scorched slab.
What I'm trying to say is that HGSS had a lot of missed potential in those areas.

>I think you mean removed
A bit of both in all honesty.
>>
>>28647131
Anon I like ORAS more than most people on this board but really?

>I'd rather there be secret areas like a basement in Pokemon Tower with some kind of link to the distortion world or a secret bunker for the mansion with data on something like Deoxys
>>
>>28646235

It's called "baiting for easy (You)'s" because HGSS is so well received here. They do the same thing with flipping BW2 and sometimes Platinum.
>>
>>28645816
>>28645779
what gimmicks would you say it had?
>>
>>28647151
Which is why I said to an extent rather than saying it outright did.
It still falls within the boundaries of what was said in my previous post.
>>
>>28645733
It's pretty good. The major complaints are those that the original GSC had like shit leveling and barren Kanto, but it's really kind of hard to fix those because then it wouldn't be true to the originals.
>>
>>28647199
But all of the infinity energy is exposition

Also
>scorched slab

That thing is still empty as fuck and HGSS did more expansion
>>
>>28646845
Really? It worked for me so well that I thought it was really easy. Guess I was just lucky with both Entei and Raikou

>>28646752
>Johto
>boring
>>
>>28647194
>pokewalker
>following pokemon
>pokeathlon
>shiny leaf
>safari zone customization
>photos
There no reason as to why that was limited by the way.
>>
Very good, but overrated. B2W2 curbstomps it
>>
File: hgsslevelcurve.jpg (54KB, 357x517px) Image search: [Google]
hgsslevelcurve.jpg
54KB, 357x517px
>>28645733
the level curve ruins the fucking game
>>
>>28645733
Boring as hell, not utter shit like the originals but nothing worth playing more than once.
>>
>>28647258
>But all of the infinity energy is exposition
And? It's world building anon.

>That thing is still empty as fuck and HGSS did more expansion
Its still an additional dungeon to explore. As for HGSS not really, whatever was there before didn't get much more than a graphical update.
>>
>>28647302
quit being a pussy and battle the gym leaders underleveled

it's not they have good AI or anything
>>
>>28647277
absolutely
>>
>>28646551
Emerald, Crystal, BW and RBY are A tier
>>
File: 1470699289438.jpg (14KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1470699289438.jpg
14KB, 320x240px
>>28647340
>holding yourself back so the game can actually be fun

Why not just play a Pokemon game where the level curve isn't complete shit?
>>
>>28647340
Even without good AI they can curb stomp you due to sheer stat difference alone. Which is why most people found Whitney so hard.
>>
>>28647381
You have to hold back in every Pokémon game to have fun.
>>
>>28647325
So is the unknown dungeon
>>
>>28647452
Unknown dungeon was also in gen 1 and it doesn't tell us anything.
>>
>>28645733
I'd say it's an 8/10, maybe a 9/10
>>
>>28645733
>HG/SS came out SEVEN years ago
>>
>>28647446
Johto was the region you had to hold back in the most until Kalos came around.

I never felt like I needed to restrain myself in Kanto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, or Unova as much as I did in any of the Johto games.
>>
File: image.png (228KB, 394x370px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
228KB, 394x370px
>>28647325
>Stuff we can't see or interactive with is world builing
>>
>>28647381
>Why not just play a Pokemon game where the level curve isn't complete shit?

Name a single Pokemon game with a challenging yet fair level curve.

Hard mode: I should be able to use EXP share
>>
>>28647550
Gen 5
>>
>>28647534
I don't think you know what world building is anon if you think it's confined to just what you can move.
>>
>>28647302
I like the bullshit level curve. Nothing feels better than finally beating a gym leader after losing to him/her 5 times. Brings me back to when I was a kid struggling to beat Ruby because I sucked at Pokemon.
>>
>>28647550
Honestly? Pokemon in general isn't really challenging, but any of the Hoenn, Sinnoh, or Unova games feel like they can be played without feeling as mindless as Johto does.

Kanto's dependent on a few things but it can be the same.
>>
>>28647605
You still suck at pokemon by the sound of things.
>>
>>28647631
>Honestly? Pokemon in general isn't really challenging
Now you know why people like HGSS. It actually manages to be challenging.
>>
>>28647646
But it's not. That's the problem I have with it. It was easier than any of the other games barring a couple oddities like Morty's Gengar.
>>
>>28647532
The only games I held back in were BW and BW2.

In both cases I got to the Victory Road already on par with the league, and since everyone is the same level, if I had any more battles I'd overlevel. So I ended up ignoring as many victory road trainers as I could. Happened in both games.
>>
>>28647641
I'm not the one crying about a level curve here.
>>
>>28647579
It's just a concept that hold no weight or any real use.

Just a plot device that does nothing
>>
>>28647646
>implying tedium is challenge
>>
>>28645733

Still pissed off about the cut content. People bitch about that in newer games, but holy shit every remake not FRLG did this.
>>
>>28647675
You're the one that chooses to grind. Stop being a bitch and fight the gym leader underleveled.

Winning vs an overpowered gym leader by the skin of your teeth is infinitely more satisfying than grinding to beat them.
>>
>>28647698
Yeah, that GS Ball gets me raging every time
>>
>>28647672
>It's just a concept that hold no weight or any real use.
Except for the fact that its one of the central elements in both the war and DE.

Using you logic nothing falls under world building.
>>
>>28647715
I agree with this.

Ive never NEEDED to grind in HGSS any more than usual, even if it looked necessary
>>
>>28647720

Removing a player character for a redesign, the game corner, odd egg, room decoration, etc...

Thats just off the top of my head.
>>
>>28647733
>plot device
>>
>>28647715
>Winning vs an overpowered gym leader by the skin of your teeth is infinitely more satisfying than grinding to beat them.

It'd be more satisfying if the teams were set up in an at least half-competent manner, like Flannery in Emerald for one example.

And HGSS still aren't hard in the slightest so I have on idea what you people are talking about.
>>
>>28645733
am i late on something? why "now that the dust has settled" ???
>>
>>28647715
Yeah because tedium is SUCH a challenge. Look, you're going to defeat the leaders no matter what especially in Johto. Being under leveled just means that instead of one shotting them you're whittling away at their health like an Etrian boss.

Where exactly is the challenge there?
>>
>>28647767
>cut content
>redesigned room
>new design for a character

Jesus Christ anon
>>
>>28647807
>like Flannery in Emerald

Wut? Did you pick Treeco or something?
You really shouldn't try and power through with your starter...
>>
>WAHHHH POKEMON IS TOO EASY
k we made it harder

>WAHHHH NOW I HAVE TO GRIND TO STEAMROLL EVERYONE
k we made it easier
>>
>>28647824

Removing the ability to customize your room was shitty, and there nothing to replace it.

A "new design" is going a bit far when it's more or less an entirely new character.
>>
File: 1457353988319.jpg (56KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1457353988319.jpg
56KB, 500x281px
>>28647767
yeah, I knew it was useless stuff

>>28647807
Whitney, Bugsy, Morty and Chuck have well put together teams I think.
>>
>>28647836
Sunny Day (which is set up in advance by her other Pokemon) White Herb Torkoal Overheat is guaranteed to OHKO or 2HKO nearly anything by that point, except maybe Marshtomp at a certain level.
>>
>>28647838
making wild pokemon level throughout the postgame is a really shitty way to increase the difficulty. if it wasn't such a buzzword at this point, I'd call it artificial difficulty.
>>
>>28647838
Gen 4 was a mistake.
>>
>>28647836
If you didn't pick Swampert it was tough

Fucking attract and white herb in the sun
>>
>>28647866

While its "useless" things, a lot of complaints about "cut content" from ORAS are from things just as useless.
Mirage Tower, Safari zone Tedium, I'm sure somebody even misses that horrid berry blending game.

I just don't get how people can bitch about"cut content" in any remake.
>>
I always considered it to be great but not fantastic because it left some of the key problems in, but after playing ORAS it really bumped HGSS up a bit and made me realize that we will probably not get a better remake.
>>
>>28647895
I didn't even grind and I can't say it was all that rough, and I remember going in with Blaziken?

Can't really say I grinded either.

>>28647866
Whitney had scrappy and was otherwise undynamic.
>>
>>28647861
A character that doesn't have any relevance to the story

Boo hoo
>>
>>28647866
>yeah, I knew it was useless stuff

Thats big talk for an ORAS apologist. Bet you hate the Battle Frontier as well.
>>
>>28647866
Whitney is practically a meme at this point. She's heavily reliant on Rollout, which if you picked Chikorita or if you have some other grass type like Bellsprout you can stop right there with stun spore. Croconaw can power through that and kill it. Quilava is a bit iffier but you could still pack the Machop in Goldenrod to beat her down.

Bugsy has a Kakuna and a Metapod.

Morty is a big issue only in HGSS due to Gengar with Shadow Ball being kinda retarded for a fourth gym.

Chuck only had two Pokemon despite being the fifth gym leader.
>>
>>28647905
I actually miss it a lot. The little minigames do pile up.

I have to say I also agree that losing room decor was annoying, even if i was making fun of him before
>>
>>28647949
A player character has an awful lot of story relevance, anon.
Kris was cool.
>>
>>28647976
Kris isn't even canon. Which is why she still doesn't have a name.
>>
>>28647960

I still can't say any remake has removed anything of note.
Heck, even ORAS gave us what amounted to Battle Tower+ and thus *more* content than the original Ruby/Sapphire had.
>>
>>28647935
>going in with Blaziken
>7+ levels higher than the ace
>>
>>28647976
That's why there's so much fan art of her right?

Most of it is Magna related
>>
>>28647998
Technically HGSS removed location based evos. You couldn't get pokemon like magnezone in it without trading.
>>
>>28648001

I usually refer to starters by their final form, like the anon talking about "picking Swampert".

Was still it's middle evo, if I remember. Having a varied team helped immensely, though. Anybody who said that was fight was hard probably didn't have one.
>>
>>28647951
Literally what are you talking about?

>>28647935
>>28647959
Whitney has Rollout, Scrappy, Attract, Stomp making you flinch, and a Lum Berry to wake up from the first status. Whenever I used Sand Attack on her Clefairy, she just Mimicked it and used it on me. I'd say Whitney and tate and Liza are the best Gym Leaders in the franchise.

Bugsy had a Focus Energy Scyther, Chuck had a Dynamic Punch Poliwrath that did something (Confusion?) to make you not hit it.

Morty had the Gengar, but also Dream Eater, Dont remember Clair's thing.

I'm not saying they were like, SUPER hard, but they all had clear strategy that they were trying to pull off rather than just mons with a type that you beat.
>>
>>28647675
How many dicks do you suck per day?
>>
>>28648029

Take your Magneton to New Mauville and you can get a Magnezone. Location based evos are still in.
>>
>>28648061
>HGSS
>>
>>28648031
>Anybody who said that was fight was hard probably didn't have one.

Either you got lucky and she didn't set up Sunny Day well enough due to the AI fucking around or you're leaving some details out, because Flannery's Torkoal is pretty much designed to wipe out at least one Pokemon unless you're packing Marshtomp.
>>
>>28648037

Whitney was a pushover compared to Gen II showing. In all five of my plays Clefairy took, like, 60% damage from an attack. Used Metronome and crapped out a shitmove(Cept Judgement that one time), and then got finished off. Why are you trying to sandattack on a Clefairy anyway?

Rollout is handled with almost any status and I actually had female mons on me. Stomp I can give you maybe?
>>
>>28645733
Best remake of best region. Has its flaws, but overall an improvement to the old experience.
>>
>>28648075
>ORAS
>>
>>28648082
Don't forget attract
>>
>>28648118
>implying HGSS isn't a remake
I hope you're not the anon that made that post because you're looking pretty retarded not
>>
>>28648082

Did you ever think you just got unlucky? I've been replaying emerald to go with my play of the Gamecube games and, on my 4th play, can't say i've ever had a problem. Given one of them had a Marshtomp, but still.

The fact the AI can even fuckup like that kind of says the game isn't that "difficult" in the first place.
>>
File: index.jpg (6KB, 200x253px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
6KB, 200x253px
I stopped playing the game after I got a female wobbuffet...

Maybe it's just me, but I really disliked the clunky, blocky pokedex they changed for what purpose? What was wrong with the original?

And because I can't change the gender of the photos in the pokedex, I'm always stuck looking at this dumb wobuffet I got on the pokewalker. It taunts me at the odd changes...

Also I really wish I could have played as Kris instead of dumb hat girl in the remake...

Call me purist, but even after all this time after playing the originals, I couldn't be bothered to complete my copy of SS...
>>
Is there a hack of the original GSC that does nothing except fix the level curve? I'd play the fuck out of that.
>>
>>28645733
Best pokemon game overall, second closest would be b&w
>>
>>28648143
>Did you ever think you just got unlucky?

No, because almost every playthrough I've ever seen or heard, meaning ones that aren't even my own, involve that Torkoal being a huge pain in the ass.
>>
>>28647905
I miss the berry blending mini game.. the rest I don't care about though
>>
>>28645901
Not even the best of its own generation, Pt wins here.

Then B2W2 competes with Pt for best game in the franchise content wise, for a remake HGSS is decent enough, but GSC are just too shit to be called good in a legitimate sense without changing the level curve.
>>
>>28648099
I mean, i'm not saying everyone will find her hard, but I can see that thought was put into every aspect of her team, with levels that are only matched by Emerald Tate and Liza. Hell, I'm sure even her being so easygoing and "this all comes natural to me" from before and refusing to give you the badge after was intentional.

I actually remember my previous Whitney experience (because I am replaying the game)

All 5 of my pokemon are male, so she just fucked me over royally. Every time I used Smokescreen the accuracy drop wasnt fast enough and she Rollouted me to death. But her Attract Stomp combo is what really got me. I never even knew about it until this playthrough so I was fucking livid. But man battling her was fun as fuck. That's just personal though. Felt like sharing I guess.
>>
>>28648190
I'd rather the ability to make good blocs quickly than be forced into a "game" everytime.

>>28648179

I can't say i've seen it in plays now my own, either. I'd kind of like to watch you play now.
>>
>>28645779
Literally alola.
>>
>>28648199
>Then B2W2 competes with Pt for best game in the franchise content wise
>competes
BW2 smash Pt out of the ballpark when it comes to content even with the loss of WiFi.
>>
Amazingly, outrageously overrated.
>>
>>28648213

That's fine, everybody plays different. Part of what makes the experience fun. On top of that, I've finally found somebody that got rolled by Flannery in Emerald.

I love this franchise and it's penchant for varied playthroughs.
>>
>>28647767

This...this actually pisses me off.
Fuck. Why the fuck can't they get a remake right?
>>
>>28648216
No, Johto.
With a J.
>>
>>28645733
Didn't fix what needed fixing (pokemon distribution, weird level curve), slapped a coat of paint on that I didn't personally care for (I found gen 4's sprites and graphics ugly), half the music remixes were UTTER shit (Goldenrod in particular sounds AWFUL), and replaced Kris the blue-haired qt with 10 year old girl Mario.

I'm a harsh judge because gen 2 is muh nostalgic fave, but I would've been so happy seeing HGSS in gen 5, that way it wouldn't fall victim to gen 4's SLOWWWWW curse. I just really didn't like gen 4 and having my fave be remade in that gen was kinda upsetting.

Objectively, it's not a bad game at all and I had fun, and I thought following pokemon was cute. A lot of my qualms are weird personal gripes accentuated by my nostalgia glasses, which I accept.
>>
>>28648232
Some prefer the slow pace of Sinnoh and its two optional routes over B2W2, some prefer the sprites of Pt over the ones in B2W2, some prefer the music of Pt for wathever reason.

However I disagree!

I honestly think B2W2 is the superior one content and gameplay wise, but I can respect people that still think Pt is better due to the region design even if I can't stand Mt coronet.

They are the top of the pack when it comes to pokemon games along with conquest being a Godlike spin off. I can say Pt competes with B2W2 because at the end the favorite can be up to an aesthetic level.
>>
>>28645733
I miss walking Pokémon I don't care.
>>
>>28648215
I just remember liking it, I do prefer making the poke blocks quickly though Remeber the poffen making mini game in Pt... I screwed up on that one all the time
>>
>>28648245
This. It's annoying to see people count their difficulty experience to be the only one.

I find it odd people find any Unova game hard. Everyone talks about the Ghestis battle and dont even remember it.

At the same time, I think the Sinnoh and Johto E4's and Champions are the hardest, and I know people disagree. It's part of the fun.
>>
>>28646235
>We
>>
>>28648306
Anon, content =\= feel

Content wise BW2 has the most of any game to date. SM may change that but we just have to wait and see.
>>
>>28648311

I feel your pain.
>>
>>28648306
That's a respectable opinion anon.

Sinnoh is more adventurous to me, but I still think there's still so much to do in both is why I love them
>>
>>28648099
Not him, but my problem is that she used attract and stomp which caused flinching just about every other time and attract sealing me from attacking whenever I wasn't flinched. It's hard as shit to poison as well because it holds a berry that cures that.
>>
>>28646913
Naw the color palettes for GSC were fantastic and gen 4's sprite art was kind of...stilted. You're not the only one that prefers the overall look and sound of GSC.
>>
>>28648311
>Remeber
Silly me, I goofed I meant Remember
>>
As much as I love BW2, HGSS is still the best bang for your buck pokemon game. (when it wasn't 100 dollars)
GF greatly expanded Kanto and added back a few dungeons and legendaries.
The Pokethalon is the least tedious and most fun secondary objective.
I may be in the minority here, but I liked the safari zone. You could get a few more cool pokemon fairly early.
The level scaling was never a problem for me and I actually liked how a few gym leaders would throw a curveball at you with held items and updated levels and movesets
The added Platinum Battle Frontier is just the cherry on top.
>>
>>28646235

It's the Mass Effect of /vp/ where it's cool to hate on it, and then a bunch of people bandwagon thinking it's a common opinion
>>
>>28648648
The Safari Zone was only bad as far as the most rare thing were concerned. Besides that it is an absolute godsend when it comes to available Mons, and it got me an Azumarill before fighting Chuck/Clair/Pryce.
>>
>>28648307
It's so hard to go back to playing other games; because I just love seeing my Pokemon right behind me. xD
>>
>>28649178

I just wanted an option to turn that off.
>>
>>28647550

The entirety of Gen 5 and Platinum.
>>
>>28645733
Loses the originals charm, like all the other remakes.
>>
It's pretty good but I would rather play Crystal
>>
>>28645733
I recently picked up SS for the first time and am playing it. I've played through Silver and SS has a lot of improvements over it so no complaints really. Pretty solid game so far
>>
>>28647262
But those are all great.
>>
As far as single player content, it didn't do enough to separate itself from previous entries and instead relied on gimmicks and nostalgia, while also being less fun because EVs and natures make single player less fun and more of a chore than the simpler system OG GSC had

And on the multiplayer front, it also added little. Even ORAS added more to its generation's competitive scene
>>
>itt underages that didn't play GSC and can't see how glorious both GSC and HGSS are

Only an underage would complain about Kanto mons being in Johto. At that time, there were only 151 and seeing 100 new Pokémon was fucking exciting, but you wouldn't expect a region full of new mons.
>>
>>28652255
Racism was okay in the 1800's, so it's okay now, right?
>>
Man, Heartgold means a lot to me. Kind of hurts to see everyone bitching about it.

I got HG pretty much a few weeks before I got White. I obviously dedicated more time to White back when it came out, and I dropped it until last October after I had finished OR.

The Pokewalker is such an imaginative accessory, and we probably won't see them dare to release anything like it again. (Vibrating masturbation bracelets don't count)

I missing having my critters follow me around town. Sure, we can now pet them and feed them cake, but having them float behind us in a looping animation would be too hard once they are 3D, I guess.

Protip: Catch the Red Gyarados. Name it Communism. Learn Ice Fang and Bite. Tank it all the way through the game as your main. Pretend you are roaming the country, devouring strangers' Pokemon, as a terrifying chomping animation makes all of them disappear. Crush capitalism.
>>
>>28648304
I'm in your boat, I just can't stand the gen 4 engine. Then the same thing happened AGAIN with ORAS and the gen 6 engine which has just as many problems.

Fuck this, can we just remake every game in the Sun Moon engine please? Maybe 60 FPS on NX too
>>
>>28648304
>>28652516
I haven't played Gen 4 in alot of years, but what's so bad about the engine?
>>
>>28652268
Exactly
>>
>>28645733
Very good games.Probably the best remakes but in hindsight I also enjoyed ORAS a lot. Curve is a problem, true, but it's in no way a deal breaker
>>
>>28646206
>Johto gym leaders use only Kanto Pokémon, when there's Johto Pokémon that are available to use
This is such a Hoennbaby thing to say
>>
>>28652304
I'd would argue that most of the people here hitching about it still love it
>>
>>28652789
Yeah because variety is totally a bad thing to want. No wonder gen 2 killed pokemania with people like you defending it.
>>
>>28652255
It would be exciting if we ever saw them.
>>
>>28652937
What gen the Pokemon if the gym leaders are from is not the same as variety

The only gym leader that needed more variety was Morty
>>
>>28653031
>defending chuck not having hitmontop
>>
>>28653031
>What gen the Pokemon if the gym leaders are from is not the same as variety
Are you seriously trying to say that seeing the same old pokemon as the last game is varied in any way?
Seriously is that what you're trying to say? Because this post is atrocious in terms of sentence structure.
>>
>>28652937
The extra 100 Pokemon were clearly designed as an expansion to the original 151, NOT as "Johto Pokemon". They're not Johto Pokemon. This is the same reason why complaining about Houndour/Slugma in Kanto for example is stupid.

The game had 251 Pokemon in it, or slightly less since the Kanto starters and legends weren't available in the original GSC. 240-ish is plenty of variety for a dex to have.
>>
Still the best games in the series. This is the only pokemon game that I put more than 100 hours into
>>
>>28653091
>The extra 100 Pokemon were clearly designed as an expansion to the original 151, NOT as "Johto Pokemon".
Not an excuse.
>>
>>28653056
No, I just typed if instead of of

The thing is, you arent seeing the same Pokemon. The trainers in the region, and E4 members all have Gen 2 Pokemon. The Gym Leaders are just 8 trainers in the whole game

>>28653046
It was never a big deal from me. Those Mons CAN be found in Johto
>>
>>28653104
>Not an excuse
I don't see why not, the game was literally designed that way. The new Pokemon were a natural expansion, not a replacement as they became in Hoenn onwards. As such, the developers didn't afford them "special treatment" in every corner of the game. Sure, you got a new starter and new legends, but outside of that the new Pokemon were treated the same as the old Pokemon. Each gym was given the Pokemon that the developers felt were most fitting, instead of them shoehorning in a new one or two for every gym just in the name of tokenism.

Granted, I still think Morty deserved a Misdreavus, but it's too late on that one now, and hardly a dealbreaker.
>>
>>28653091
>b-but they were an expansion!
Ignoring how retarded the mentality of "it's an expansion we shouldn't encounter them" is they were a large advertising point back when the games were coming out. This naturally means that they should have played a bigger part within the game instead of being shuffled off to the side and given absolutely abysmal encounter rates.

And on that front it was so bad that people thought that pokemon like Skarmory and Slugma were gen 3 mon. That is how low their presence was in gen 2 compared to subsequent generations.

>>28653137
Do yourself a favor and check the encounter rates for the Johto mon.
>>
>>28653157
>The new Pokemon were a natural expansion, not a replacement as they became in Hoenn onwards.
A "natural" expansion doesn't mean having them be rarer than the original mon anon. To be more natural they would have to be more wide spread to show the regional differences in flora and fauna.

But they didn't exactly do that. Instead they chose to hide them and leave some in Kanto in the post game even though it makes no sense for them to be there.
>>
>>28653162
>Ignoring how retarded the mentality of "it's an expansion we shouldn't encounter them" is they were a large advertising point back when the games were coming out
Not that anon you were responding to but I felt like this actually made the Johto Pokemon more special. They were rarer to come by and many people had already caught 'em all in RBY so by making the Johto Pokemon something you had to work for, they actually felt like a reward for long-term players of the game instead of something the game just throws at you like any random Pidgey/Geodude. Plus the fact that many of them had new encounter methods (time-of-day, headbutt, rock smash and so on) sort of made sense in-universe. I guess it was a product of it's time though, it worked in GSC but less so in HGSS.

>>28653200
>leave some in Kanto in the post game even though it makes no sense for them to be there
Why doesn't it make sense for them to be in Kanto?
>>
>>28653162
We're talking HGSS right? Because the only Gen 2 pokemon you get in post-game is Sneasel, and that's still Johto because Mt Silver, and the only 1% rate mons are Snubbul and Yanma, as Marill can be found in the Safari Zone.

Now, the Snubbul/Yanma thing is indeed annoying, but I never found myself starved for Johto mon while playing HGSS. Just now I decided to play an all Gen 2 run for the first time, and decided to not use AMphy and Skarmory because I always use them, and it was still fine for me.

I do agree that mon distribution on the main routes were a problem, in the fact that Ratatta should have stopped showing up much sooner. Johto has the Kalos problem where too many mons are 1 route only
>>
>>28653258
We're talking gen 2 now anon.
>>
>>28653237
>Not that anon you were responding to but I felt like this actually made the Johto Pokemon more special.
That's nostalgia I suppose.
>>
>>28653277
I don't know if I'd call it nostalgia - it's not like I'm getting all warm and fuzzy over it - but it definitely was a product of playing GSC on release. The new 100 Pokemon actually WERE more special than the original 151 precisely because they were harder to find.
>>
>>28653267
But why? This is and HGSS thread and this started from an HGSS comment.

If we were talking Gen 2 then a lot of the stuff that makes it more bearable is gone but this can all be boiled down to "the design philosophy was different back then"
>>
easily in my top 3:

1: HG/SS
2: Emerald
3: B/W 2

sadly, it's a shitgame:

D/P/P
>>
>>28645733
Comfy enjoyable game, kept being interesting because of the Pokewalker. Probably the second best main games after Platinum.
>>
The Johto part was too easy after Bianka, but other than that it was very pretty to look at and the gameplay was fun. Nice selection of new and old Pokemon too. One of the better games overall.
>>
>>28645733
>>28645733
Every. Single. Person. Who complains about the level curve didn't play the game. Game freak ups the levels of kanto trainers by a lot.

Anyway they are the best pokemon games to me with the least amount of issues. Tons of content, fun mini-games, good fights, pokemon walking alongside you, battle frontier. Overall just a really well-made game.
>>
>>28647959
Croconaw used Bite!
Gengar fainted!
>>
>>28645733
Good, but could've been better
If they had fixed the shit level curve and ungimped Kanto, it would've been great
Thread posts: 205
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.